PDA

View Full Version : Cowher to Big Ben: Run more puh-lease

BlitzburghRockCity
09-28-2006, 12:20 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06271/725692-66.stm

Thursday, September 28, 2006
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bill Cowher delivered a message to his quarterback yesterday, borrowing a line from Forrest Gump: Run, Ben, Run!

Perhaps as a way to help his young quarterback out of a rare funk, or merely to make him more dangerous, Cowher urged Ben Roethlisberger to return to his roots and scoot across the line of scrimmage every now and then to keep defenders guessing.

Oh, and one more thing: When he's not eating up more yards on the ground, how about eating a little more at the dinner table.

"I talked to coach about it; we decided that maybe I need to get out a little more, run a little more," Roethlisberger said. "I've kind of gotten away from running the ball. He said, 'Yeah, take your 6 yards and slide.'

"We'll see. I'm not going to go out and try to change anything. I'm just going to continue to play the way that I play and just try to make smarter decisions."

Roethlisberger is in the worst statistical slump of his young pro career. The quarterback with the best winning percentage in football is 0-2 this season with five interceptions and no touchdowns, the only ranked quarterback in the league without one. He has the best two passer ratings in Steelers history in his first two NFL seasons -- his 98.1 from 2004 is a rookie record and his 98.6 was third in the NFL last season. He's at 34.3 this season, next to last among the 32 ranked quarterbacks in the league.

"... It seems like I'm having brain [cramps] out there."

-- Ben Roethlisberger

"It's a weird feeling, but no excuses," Roethlisberger said of his performances. "I'm not going to blame it on the wind, I'm not going to blame it on anything but just the way I've been playing. We'll try to find a way to correct it so it doesn't happen again."

Roethlisberger lost 15 pounds after his June 12 motorcycle accident, down to 240. Cowher would like to see him gain some weight, but Roethlisberger was noncommittal.

"I feel a lot better. I'm working out and really feel good where I'm at. Coach wants me to put on a little bit more weight, but I feel good with where I'm at right now."

Said Cowher, "We've talked about it. I am encouraging him to make sure he eats snacks at night."

Roethlisberger ran 56 times for 144 yards and a touchdown in 131/2 games as a rookie. He ran 31 times for 69 yards and three touchdowns in 12 games last season, then added 19 more runs for 37 yards and two touchdowns in four postseason games. He has two runs this season for minus-1 yard.

Cowher does not want to turn him into Kordell Stewart, but he'd like to see him take off more often.

Oh God, please don't ever turn into Kordell !!!!

BBG7
09-28-2006, 12:37 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06271/725692-66.stm

Oh God, please don't ever turn into Kordell !!!!

:lol: I don't think we have to worry about that. Although I have seen some major opportunities for first downs that he has not gone for. In the past he would have and I think that's what Bill is referring to.

Steelersfan
09-28-2006, 12:43 AM
Been saying this for a week! Stop forcing the ball and take what the D gives you. He's had chances to run for good yardage but always stops and throws the ball.

BBG7
09-28-2006, 12:54 AM
Been saying this for a week! Stop forcing the ball and take what the D gives you. He's had chances to run for good yardage but always stops and throws the ball.

and a lot of times throws into traffic or just makes a bad pass.

Koopa
09-28-2006, 01:08 AM
yup, i mentioned this in the game day thread....he had plenty of chances to pick up the quick first down if he would've ran but instead he forced it......he seems like a scared little bitch right now when it comes to running, he's afraid to get hit.....so for now his name is ben maddox until he runs the damn ball....i think on the season he has 2 carries for -1 yard....that right there is called being scared

AZ_Steeler
09-28-2006, 01:08 AM
Bens thing has always been to scramble around in the pocket and hope something breaks down down field so can heave one up! I would like to see him just bring the ball down and run! This will help his ability to scramble and keep the defenders guesing... is he going to run? is he going pass? :dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
09-28-2006, 06:24 AM
That's one of his assets, he throws well on the run, out of the pocket..last year the threat of him running for a first down or sneaking on a 3rd and 1 was imminent and real. He needs to get that back. Teams won't respect it and try to defense it if he doesn't do it, which makes their job alittle bit easier, that's the last thing we want. Once he gets back to that we'll know he's getting back to the good ole Ben.

Captcoolhand
09-28-2006, 08:53 AM
I notice this alot last week, that Ben just looks like He's a bit fearful to run and take a hit, but then again who wouldn't after having an Offseason like He's had.:banging:
I just hope that it changes soon, because with the WR not being able to hold onto the ball nor catch. He may have to run more:scratch:

SteelersFire
09-28-2006, 08:57 AM
I'm sorry to say I've always had concerns about Ben's consistency. It seems this season, and maybe understandably after all he's been through in less than a year's time, he really hasn't found his legs. He's never done well under pressure, and so far there's been nothing but. Hopefully he'll quit throwing those panicky long passes hoping for the best and go with shorter yardage gains however he can get them.

A strong steady drive is better than an interception any day.

House of Steel
09-28-2006, 09:03 AM
Everyone on this thread is right on the money with the comments. I for one thing, miss the Old Ben whom we all loved so much. I am sure we are going to see the Old Ben emerge in the San Diego game. I just wish the wide receivers would work with Ben and getting a rapport going cause they need more practice in catching the darn ball and holding on to it. Hines is in a slump, Cedrick is in a slump, Nate is in a slump, and the only positive thing from the catching side of the ball is Heath Miller. That should be Ben's main go to target so that it opens up the game for Hines and the rest. Here is what I want to see happen. I want to see double to triple coverage on Heath to open up the sideline routes for Cedrick and Hines. I could see some alternation of coverage rotating between the receivers. There are times we should run a 4 or 5 Wide Set to confuse the defense even more, this is where Ben is so darn good at. Running out of the pocket, throwing on the run, or going for the First Down with a nice gain. We have a lot of work to do, and I believe somewhere along the line this week, Cowher is going to get this rhythm back and get his team ready to kick some major asses.