PDA

View Full Version : 2008 NFL Combine updates:OL, TE and K

DIESELMAN
02-23-2008, 11:27 AM
The interviews and weigh ins started on Thursday but today is when they.....GET IT ON!!!!! So whoever is watching, feel free to post updates, thoughts and critiques.

Sat. 23 Feb 2008: OL, TE and K
They're doing the OL 40 yard dash, which to me doesn't make any sense. They do have the 10 yard split which shows the true burst of a OL. They're also doing the 3 cone drills for OL, which is supposed to show control, pulling and blocking down skills (Bullshit!!), game tapes and one on one drills IMO is where its at. They were talking about Schuening OG from Oregon St. he was a wrestler and has a nasty attitude.

DIESELMAN
02-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Some numbers so far:

Bench Press (225 lbs)

OL
Jake Long (37)
Jeremy Zuttah (35)
Kirk Barton (34)
Mike Gibson (31)
Carl Nicks (31)
Brandon Keith (31)
John Greco (30)
Mike McGlynn (30)
Shawn Murphy (29)
Chris McDuffie (29)
Mike Pollack (29)
Otah (24)
Williams (21)

TE
Craig Stevens (27)
Dustin Keller (26)
Brad Cottam (24)
Fred Davis (24)
Derek Fine (24)
Kolo Kapanui (23)
Gary Barnidge (22)
Kellen Davis (22)
Adam Bishops (21)

MDSteel15
02-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Dude, Long is a freak! Wish we had some kinds chance to get him. Williams looks damn good, too... Just Long is a freak :hail: Otah, not too strong....

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
Chris Williams looked great in the Mirror drill.
Mayock said Otah is too tall, needs to bend the knees so he can get leverage...

GoBenGo
02-23-2008, 08:57 PM
llike to see haynos show well...terp...

williams a paultry 21 reps...i expected more
..they said that run blocking is most affected by upper-body strength...hmmm

kgreen
02-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Dude, Long is a freak! Wish we had some kinds chance to get him. Williams looks damn good, too... Just Long is a freak :hail: Otah, not too strong....

[AutoMerged Post Below]
Chris Williams looked great in the Mirror drill.
Mayock said Otah is too tall, needs to bend the knees so he can get leverage...

Got that right...........

BlitzburghNation
02-23-2008, 09:37 PM
Dammit,,,,,,,,, First year in awhile,that I had too miss the combine :cursin:

DIESELMAN
02-23-2008, 10:04 PM
llike to see haynos show well...terp...

williams a paultry 21 reps...i expected more
..they said that run blocking is most affected by upper-body strength...hmmm
Williams started struggling at 15 reps, then only got 6 more lol. I seen the weigh ins and Otah, Williams and Clady looked fat. Long and Albert looked solid and stout.

K Train
02-23-2008, 10:57 PM
the bench press is overrated, its not a great judge because its hard to bench when your on the spot, these are just workouts and nothing more. Jared Allen got 13 reps and brady quinn got 25.....come on now lol

MDSteel15
02-24-2008, 12:09 AM
Reps don't mean anything. They even said when they were doing the other excercises that Williams had great technique and that is where he excells over the other linemen. Definately want him over Otah.

DIESELMAN
02-24-2008, 10:09 AM
The bench press is over rated to a degree, it still shows the need for improving on upper body strength. The most over rated event for a OL, is the 40 yard dash, they do record the 10 yard split which is good but after that first 10 yards it useless. Not trying to bash Williams Kyle, hes a good lineman and I hope we make a run at him, theres always room for improvement, for anyone.

Chris Williams: His 21 reps on the bench could raise a few eyebrows but don't expect it to hurt him. It's no secret that Williams needs to hit the weights, especially to improve his upper-body power, and he can improve in that area if he dedicates himself to the cause. He overcomes that below-average strength, though, by using excellent technique and positioning along with good natural mobility. Williams showed great footwork during drills and gets excellent hand placement. So while he won't really jar defenders at the point of contact Williams is able to lock on and then sustain his blocks.
Jeff Otah: He did not look smooth during individual drills and his 40-yard dash time of 5.56 seconds ranked among the worst of the linemen that ran. However, it must be noted that a high left ankle sprain is limiting his mobility. Otah is still unpolished and needs to do a better job of playing with leverage, but NFL teams aren't going to downgrade the massive right tackle prospect after he tried to tough it out during Saturday’s workout. He still projects as one of the top five tackle prospects in this class, which should land him a spot in the first round.
Carl Nicks: The Nebraska OT may be a notch below the elite tackle prospects like Long, Williams and Ryan Clady, but Nicks is making a strong case as a possible second-round pick. Nicks has a massive 341-pound frame but still turned in a 5.01-second 40 time, showing excellent range for his size in the process. In addition, he benched pressed the standard 225 pounds an impressive 31 times

BlitzburghRockCity
02-24-2008, 03:58 PM
I honestly don't care about the 40yd dash one bit..yeah tackles have to pull in today's offenses more than they used or get down field to lead the way for a RB but any RB in the league is only going to need them to get past the first and second wave of defenders then they are done anyways.

If the dude has quick feet and a powerful upperbody that's really what you want. A faster 40 time to the nearest Mcdonalds doesn't impress me at all :lol:

I heard on NFLN that Otah's stock has fallen a bit leading up to the combine; he'll still be a guy that goes in the 1st round most likely or maybe even early 2nd, but perhaps not as early as some thought.

DIESELMAN
02-24-2008, 04:03 PM
I honestly don't care about the 40yd dash one bit..yeah tackles have to pull in today's offenses more than they used or get down field to lead the way for a RB but any RB in the league is only going to need them to get past the first and second wave of defenders then they are done anyways.

If the dude has quick feet and a powerful upperbody that's really what you want. A faster 40 time to the nearest Mcdonalds doesn't impress me at all :lol:

I heard on NFLN that Otah's stock has fallen a bit leading up to the combine; he'll still be a guy that goes in the 1st round most likely or maybe even early 2nd, but perhaps not as early as some thought.
Your right, fast or slow 40 times don't always translate the same way in game speed. I don't like the 40 for OL either, its more the 10 yard time and the shuttles that tell you more about their feet and balance.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-24-2008, 04:14 PM
The problem with so many of these drills is that really don't do a player justice and they can rise or fall when it really may not be warranted. The thing that would concern me about a lineman that we are looking at is if he struggles in the cone drills and others that really make him move his feet and keep his balance. You can't have feet of stone and be able to play tackle in the league. Most of these guys are more than strong enough to play in the NFL or they wouldn't be in the position they are heading into the draft. Even the bench press only tells you so much but when you get these guys out there 1 on 1 against pass rushers and in drills if they struggle then you really may need to take a moment and double check your strategy.

Koopa
02-24-2008, 04:25 PM
to me the combine is gay, doesn't prove ****, unless they start playing without pads and with no one in front of them, to me it will never mean ****........ just another way for the nfl to make money by hyping the hell out of it and showing it on tv

DIESELMAN
02-24-2008, 04:35 PM
The problem with so many of these drills is that really don't do a player justice and they can rise or fall when it really may not be warranted. The thing that would concern me about a lineman that we are looking at is if he struggles in the cone drills and others that really make him move his feet and keep his balance. You can't have feet of stone and be able to play tackle in the league. Most of these guys are more than strong enough to play in the NFL or they wouldn't be in the position they are heading into the draft. Even the bench press only tells you so much but when you get these guys out there 1 on 1 against pass rushers and in drills if they struggle then you really may need to take a moment and double check your strategy.

Good points, a lot of these drills aren't necessary but there are some that give you good insight on things, Take for example you have a guy who played nothing but DE in college but scouts are looking at him as a OLB tweener in the NFL. Some drills can show if hes good in coverage, whether he moves fluidly and how he changes direction. Just shows if they have natural ability or not, I'd rather have a guy who has natural ability then have to teach someone how to do it. Likewise with the OL guys, these one on drills like the mirror drill puts these guys out in the open, they can't hide their footwork, whether its good or bad. None of these guys are perfect, not even the guys in the NFL, so how many mistakes are hidden because of the overall play of the line as a whole.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-26-2008, 09:17 AM
Mayock still has Otah listed in his top 20 players in the entire draft; last I heard Kiper was still pretty high on him too. This kid is going to have a big pay day this summer for somebody.

Brady Quinn
02-26-2008, 09:28 AM
ARE THEY SHOWING THE WORKOUTS ON THE NFL NETWORK OR SOMEWHERE ELSE? I WOULD LIKE TO WATCH SOME OF THIS.

DIESELMAN
02-26-2008, 09:44 AM
ARE THEY SHOWING THE WORKOUTS ON THE NFL NETWORK OR SOMEWHERE ELSE? I WOULD LIKE TO WATCH SOME OF THIS.
I've been watching it on the NFL Network and putting all the info here in the war room. Try this link to watch it on NFL.com......Live Combine (http://www.nfl.com/combine/live?campaign=ma_live0003&refcode=nfl-ed_0226LV)