PDA

View Full Version : Jim Wexell's combine ramblings

BlackGold4vr
02-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Here’s a look at the players the Steelers, in my opinion, will be monitoring:

* Branden Albert, OG, Virginia – I predicted a month ago this massive guard will be the Steelers’ first-round pick. Now even the great analyst Mike Mayock is raving about the guy, even said he’d be moving him into his top 10 overall. Albert was a big, strong, junior captain at a school that’s produced quality and character. Heath Miller and James Farrior are known examples here. Albert also filled in at left tackle against Pitt last season and said he feels more comfortable at the position, and thus offers valuable versatility.

* Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon – I’ll use running back as the fallback in case Albert’s gone. Stewart is a 230-pounder with power to run inside and – combine-willing – the speed to get outside. The Steelers won’t reach for the No. 2 guard, there isn’t a first-round center, and my gut tells me that since the team wouldn’t move Willie Colon inside for Max Starks then they’re not of the mind to move him for a rookie, so tackles are out of my first-round mix as well. That means the Steelers’ weakest area down the stretch, their running game, could be bolstered by an actual running back, in spite of a team philosophy that says running backs can be found later on.

* Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech – This comes more from the heart than the head since the Steelers have four cornerbacks. But say Deshea Townsend is moved to free safety. Just say. That would open up a spot for this classic Dick LeBeau cover-3 corner. Flowers plays the run like a strong safety and he can cover. Questions about his character will be answered during the interview process.

*DeSean Jackson, WR, Cal – The Steelers operate undercover anymore. Scout.com was able to learn of only two interviews the team conducted this off-season -- with Sweed and Hardy. Both are big receivers, but neither can return kicks like this exciting playmaker from Cal.

* Kory Lichtensteiger, C, Bowling Green – The best center hands down is Mike Pollak, but he’ll go in the second round. That would be too early for the Steelers, who believe last year’s rookie, Darnell Stapleton, can make a run at the starting job next season. But the interior must be addressed and Lichtensteiger would make sense in the fourth round, particularly after his outstanding work in the Senior Bowl, where he handled Red Bryant, Trevor Laws and (for the most part) Sedrick Ellis as a guard. Lichtensteiger also played center later in the game and handled Ellis one-on-one on two separate occasions.

Some other Steelers types to keep an eye on this week are OT-OG Oniel Cousins, RBs Tashard Choice and Ryan Torain, DE Kendall Langford, and OLB Bruce Davis.

So with the NFL Network, you, too, can scout these prospects. Either that or next week you’ll be forced to read your next worst nightmare: a scouting combine review.

Once again Pittsburgh sportsbeat writers and members of SA have some familiar prospects on the list. Branden Albert, Jonathon Stewart, Kory Lichtensteiger......

Wouldn't Stewart add an interesting twist? And we were just saying we didn't have a power running game? Jonathon Stewart would certainly change that! Stewart is a smaller version of Brandon Jacobs of the Giants. Looks like Wexell also believes a "Nasty Boy" like Lichtensteiger could help the Steelers interior line.

:tt02:

DIESELMAN
02-22-2008, 09:57 PM
I tell you what, if all the top 5 OT's are gone and Stewart (highly doubt) is still there, we had better take him. We can still pickup OL help with pick #2 and even on day 2.

MDSteel15
02-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Mel Kiper has him as the most NFL ready back in the draft and Mayock has him at 3... WILL NOT see him at 23 unless somebody pulls a Minnesota come draft day!

NOVA STEELERS
02-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Would be nice if it falls in a row like that, highly doubtful but we could end up with half of those guys :pray:

steelcityrockers
02-23-2008, 11:13 PM
I would be scared everytime I see Desean Jackson on the field. Too small
(5'9+" 166)

MDSteel15
02-24-2008, 12:12 AM
And I would be scared to see Flowers in Black And Gold! No telling when he'd **** dirty..... :stirpot: