PDA

View Full Version : Latest Around the NFL...

NOVA STEELERS
02-20-2008, 07:26 AM
By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports
February 18, 2008

While the Spygate scandal continues to be investigated by the NFL, the league's competition committee will again consider a measure that would prevent such an affair from ever recurring.

Members of the committee, including co-chairmen Rich McKay of Atlanta and Jeff Fisher of Tennessee, were scheduled to begin meeting Monday in Indianapolis. Among the measures the committee will consider is a coach-to-player radio system for the defense, eliminating the need for plays to be signaled from the sideline.

This is not the first time the committee will have considered the system. In each of the previous two years, the league recommended the plan to the owners for vote in Mar ch, but the measure failed to gain enough support.

However, after the New England Patriots were fined and penalized early in the 2007 season for recording the signals of other teams, the radio system for the defense is expected to pass.

"I'd be surprised if the league didn't pass it after everything we've gone through this year," a league source said. "Let's just get rid of the temptation once and for all."

The radio system would be similar to the coach-to-quarterback radio the offense is currently allowed to use. The hold up in past years is that because the defense doesn't have a quarterback, or any single player to designate in all situations, the belief is that more than one defensive player would have to have a radio headset to make the system work effectively.

Owners were hesitant to allow more than one defender to hear signals at one time. The league believes that it can solve that problem technically.

More important, the league wants to avoid the embarrassment it has suffered in the wake of what happened to New England. The Patriots were caught taping an opposing team's defensive signals in the season opener this season against the New York Jets.

The Patriots were fined $250,000 and lost their first-round pick this year and coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000 for his part in the violation of league rules.

Earlier this month at the Pro Bowl, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said he felt the penalties imposed on the Patriots would be an adequate deterrent to other teams trying the same thing.

"We sent a very strong message to the rest of the league and I think the reaction we've gotten is that other teams don't want to take that chance," Goodell said.

Meanwhile, the league continues to investigate insinuations that the Patriots may have cheated at least one other time. It has been reported that the Patriots taped a walk-through practice by St. Louis the day before playing the Rams in the 2002 Super Bowl – a claim denied by Belichick and the Patriots Sunday. Furthermore, former Patriots employee Matt Walsh has hinted that he has information about the practices of the Patriots dating to that time.

Walsh's attorney, Michael Levy, told the Associated Press that Walsh has tapes. Levy and the NFL have exchanged proposals that would indemnify Walsh against a possible lawsuit by the Patriots. However, Walsh wants stronger language before coming forward.

:scratch: :scratch: :dunno: :dunno: what to think about this one

NOVA STEELERS
02-20-2008, 08:04 AM
Feb 19, 2008
New England Patriots' head coach Bill Belichick yesterday broke his silence on the allegations of improper filming of opponents that marred the team's 2007-08 season, saying the last film of another football team he had seen was "Knute Rockne, All American."

Belichick: "That's an incredibly stupid question, but I'll try not to answer it anyway."

"In my entire coaching career, I've never seen another team's practice film, family vacation film, or wedding film," Belichick said to reporters who asked about allegations by former Patriots' video assistant Matt Walsh that he had videotaped several house pets belonging to St. Louis Rams' players prior to Super Bowl XXXVI, and sold the film to "America's Funniest Home Videos."

"I want you to go out there and win one for the Gipper so we'll have home-field advantage throughout the playoffs."

Belichick has been diagnosed with Type-0 personality disorder, a psychological condition he contracted while an assistant coach with the New York Jets. Type A personalities are high-achieving, impatient, and aggressive, Type B personalities are patient, relaxed, and easy-going, and Type-0 personalities have zero personality measured by either the Celsius or Fahrenheit scale.

MGH Center for the Study of Zero Personality Disorders

"A Type-0 personality is the sort of guy who will refuse to buy an expensive bouquet for his wife on Valentine's Day, then wonder why she gets upset when he tells her how much money they saved," says Dr. Philip Reif of Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.

"All you Type-0 personalities out there, be careful driving home tonight."

Efforts to increase awareness of the disease have been largely unsuccessful, because no comedian has been willing to adopt the cause as his own. "Type-0 personalities are a hazard on the roads late at night coming home from comedy clubs," says Mike McMahon, who does stand-up in the Boston area. "They usually don't 'get' jokes until an hour after last call."

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Ambridge
02-20-2008, 09:21 AM
The radio system would be similar to the coach-to-quarterback radio the offense is currently allowed to use. The hold up in past years is that because the defense doesn't have a quarterback, or any single player to designate in all situations, the belief is that more than one defensive player would have to have a radio headset to make the system work effectively.

I can see that since there are defensive substitutions in any one series of downs that having a radio in one or two players helmets could be a problem.

The league is geared for the Offense anyway so just let all the defensive players have a radio.

Brady Quinn
02-20-2008, 10:18 AM
I think there is so much money in the NFL that no matter what they do, there will be someone who figures out how to cheat.

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-20-2008, 06:32 PM
and this stops me from mic'ing a d-line man and recording the snap count/audiubles how? :scratch::scratch:

yinzer
02-20-2008, 07:48 PM
i personally don't see how belicheat's wife and kids can even stand his smug *** personality. he's such a douche bag.

Ambridge
02-20-2008, 08:36 PM
i personally don't see how belicheat's wife and kids can even stand his smug *** personality. he's such a douche bag.

Belichick ditched his wife for the "other" woman he was having an affair with.
Go Figure!!

Ambridge
02-20-2008, 08:44 PM
and this stops me from mic'ing a d-line man and recording the snap count/audiubles how? :scratch::scratch:

I think the receivers are only wired for a specific amount of time in between plays and are automatically turned off once the huddle breaks.

Maybe Belichick can hire an electronics expert and see how he can exploit the wireless mics to gain an advantage??

NOVA STEELERS
02-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 7:38 am EST

Linebacker Derek Smith, a dependable player on a series of losing teams with the San Francisco 49ers, was waived Tuesday in a move by the club that was influenced by equal parts high salary and declining play. He had been on the books for a reported $3.45 million for 2008 the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

Smith came to the 49ers in 2001 as a free agent from the Washington Redskins and recorded 100-plus tackles at inside linebacker for five straight seasons until an eye injury in 2006 reduced his effectiveness. Smith played with essentially one good eye that season but still racked up 93 tackles in 13 games while fighting through double vision.

Smith started 14 games last season and had 98 tackles but his role in San Francisco's defense was diminished with the arrival of top draft pick Patrick Willis, who tackled everything in sight and was named the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Not a bad ball player, not sure if he would be a good fit in the STEELERS system thou :scratch:

NOVA STEELERS
02-20-2008, 10:36 PM
Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 8:00 am EST

The Detroit Lions won't try to re-sign any of their 13 players who will become unrestricted free agents before they go on the market coach Rod Marinelli told the Detroit News.

"I don't see it happening," Marinelli said. "I think guys want to go out and test the market. They should."

Damien Woody , who played right offensive tackle the last five games, should get the most attention. Linebacker Boss Bailey is the only full-time starter who will be a free agent. The others are linebacker Teddy Lehman , running backs T.J. Duckett , Aveion Cason and Tatum Bell , tight end John Owens , defensive backs Tony Beckham , Idris Bashir , Smith and Fisher, offensive tackle George Foster and wide receiver Troy Walters . Four players will be restricted free agents — quarterback Dan Orlovsky , guard Stephen Peterman , defensive tackle Langston Moore and Wilson.

There are a couple of players if we could get cheap might be worth taking a look at. I have always liked T.J. Duckett, but he never really got a chance anywhere he landed IMO he would be a better back up the Davenport :2cents:

NOVA STEELERS
02-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 12:16 pm EST

Chicago Bears GM Jerry Angelo needs to follow up on the proposals to would-be free agents Bernard Berrian, Lance Briggs and Brendan Ayanbadejo by telling Berrian he has until 3 p.m. Thursday to accept the deal the Chicago Tribune suggested.

If Berrian turns it down, that leaves Angelo little choice but to place the franchise tag on the wide receiver before the deadline. He can't just let Berrian go without the Bears starting from scratch offensively. Paying $7.848 million for one more year of Berrian, the cost the franchise designation would guarantee, admittedly sounds steep for a receiver coming off a disappointing season plagued by drops. Despite a career-high 71 catches for 951 yards, Berrian hasn't proved to everybody in the league that he's a bona fide No. 1 wide receiver.

But that doesn't really matter. Not when the Bears have looked at a weak crop of rookie and free-agent quarterbacks and concluded they want Rex Grossman to return for at least one more season. They have given the quarterback reason to believe a deal will be worked out by Feb. 29. Though curious what he might command on the open market, Grossman still prefers the Bears to the unknown

They would definately be in a world of hurt if Berrian got away :yesnod:

NOVA STEELERS
02-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 2:35 pm EST

Drew Rosenhaus, agent for Marion Barber, said he plans to meet with the Dallas Cowboys this week at the NFL scouting combine. The Cowboys have said they would like to sign the standout running back to a long-term deal the Dallas Morning News reported.

Dallas is expected to give Barber, a restricted free agent, a $2.562 million tender, which would require another team to fork over first- and third-round picks to get him.

The Cowboys value Barber as the future at running back, especially after he earned his first Pro Bowl berth despite not starting a regular-season game. Rosenhaus acknowledged that a meeting was coming but wouldn't get into specifics.

See how serious they are about tradin up for Mcfadden :scratch:

MDSteel15
02-21-2008, 03:58 AM
See how serious they are about tradin up for Mcfadden :scratch:

Could be a sign and trade deal.... :2cents:

NOVA STEELERS
02-21-2008, 07:43 AM
A source close to the situation said Marty Booker has left New England without being offered a contract by the Patriots. While that doesn't mean New England will not make a play for him, Booker is getting serious interest from up to 10 teams. The Bears are not believed to be one of them. Minnesota, Tennessee, Pittsburgh and the New York Jets are all interested. Don't discount the Arizona Cardinals either. -- Chicago Sun-Times

I had not heard the STEELERS were up until now :scratch:

JoeThomas
02-21-2008, 08:21 AM
why would the pats want marty booker? i know he fits the guys they go after, but dont they already have enough wr's.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Hey if we're going to consider Booker Im all for that. The dude would be a legit threat and really give us 4 solid guys to be wreckoned with. Coupled with Heath & Spaeth we could really have 1 serious passing game in our aresenal.

HUNT4SEVEN
02-21-2008, 05:51 PM
any player that makes that many tackles year n an year out,pittsburgh should take an look at,man he would b an perfect fit an we could groom timmons another year at that position,an get rid of that bum foote

NOVA STEELERS
02-22-2008, 07:49 AM
By TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer

NFL Gallery CLEVELAND (AP)—One great season earned Jamal Lewis at least three more with the Cleveland Browns.

Set to become an unrestricted free agent next week, Lewis agreed to terms on a three-year contract Thursday with the club, a deal that could keep him in an orange helmet until he retires.

“I said all year long that I wanted to get a long-term deal done to stay in Cleveland and it looks like with this new contract I will be able to finish my career as a Brown,” Lewis said in a statement.

He was expected to join his agent, Mitch Frankel, at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis on Friday to sign the deal.

After going 10-6 and barely missing the playoffs last season, the Browns didn’t want to lose the bruising back after he rushed for more than 1,300 yards so they signed him before another team had the chance.

“The Browns are pleased that Jamal has decided to continue his career here in Cleveland,” general manager Phil Savage said in a statement. “He brings a maturity, toughness and football temperament to the team that is critical to our success on top of the physical abilities that he possesses.”

Lewis proved he could be an effective every-down back again last season. After signing a one-year, incentive-laded free-agent deal in March, he gained 1,304 yards and scored nine touchdowns. Only Hall of Famer Jim Brown has run for more yards in a season for the Browns.

Cleveland Browns' Jamal Lewis …

Lewis came to Cleveland after seven years in Baltimore. At the time he signed, there were questions about Lewis’ durability and speed, but he answered them all with his best season since leading the NFL with 2,066 yards in ‘03.

In doing so, Lewis validated Savage’s belief the former first-round draft pick still could be productive. The two worked together for five years in Baltimore.

“I am thankful to the Browns for the opportunity they gave me last year to come out and prove that I was still one of the top running backs in the NFL,” Lewis said in a statement released by the team. “I feel the future is extremely bright for this team and I’m excited to be a part of it for another three years.”

Behind Cleveland’s revamped offensive line, Lewis ran with the same brutal tenacity that helped him gain 7,801 yards with the Ravens. He underwent surgery to remove bone spurs in his ankle in the offseason, which seemed to give Lewis back some lost quickness.

Following the comeback season, Lewis said he liked Cleveland and wanted to remain with the Browns, who won a club record seven home games and were kept out of the AFC playoffs only by a tiebreaker.

In addition to performing beyond expectations, Lewis counseled younger players, who were impressed by his tireless work ethic.

“Jamal has matured quite a bit since he’s come into the league,” Savage said following the season. “He’s been an excellent leader quietly behind the scenes. He’s a real pro and takes care of himself.”

With Lewis under contract, Savage can turn his attention to quarterback Derek Anderson.

Savage will meet in Indianapolis with Anderson’s agents about completing a long-term deal before Anderson can become a restricted free agent. The Browns have offered Anderson a three-year deal and Savage is optimistic an agreement can be reached before the 24-year-old hits the market.

Anderson made the Pro Bowl following a breakout 2007 season. He threw 29 TD passes after starting the season as Charlie Frye’s backup.

3 more years of shutting him down when we play the stains

NOVA STEELERS
02-22-2008, 07:52 AM
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP)—The New England Patriots did not designate Randy Moss as a franchise player Thursday, but there was no word from the team on whether they had reached a contract agreement with the wide receiver or are allowing him to become a free agent.

Teams had until 4 p.m. to designate one player as a franchise player if they wished. Only 11 teams did that, not including the Patriots. If Moss and the Patriots have agreed to a multiyear contract, it cannot be announced until Feb. 29.

After taking a pay cut when he was traded by Oakland to New England last April, Moss had an outstanding season. He set the NFL record with 23 touchdown catches in a season and totaled 98 receptions for 1,493 yards.

He repeatedly has praised quarterback Tom Brady, who has said he wants Moss back.

Last year the Patriots designated cornerback Asante Samuel as a franchise player but agreed not to do it again this year.

He would be a moron to not say, he wants moss back

NOVA STEELERS
02-22-2008, 08:00 AM
By RACHEL COHEN, AP Sports Writer

The NFL is considering changing the postseason so seeding would be based on records rather than division titles.

That won’t avoid instances like the one last season when Cleveland missed the playoffs and Tennessee made it by beating Indianapolis backups. But competition committee members agreed Thursday that changing the seeding guidelines would result in fewer such situations.

Committee co-chairman Rich McKay, the Atlanta Falcons’ president, said some clubs had indicated support for the changes.

“There are definitely people on both sides,” McKay said Thursday at the NFL scouting combine, “and I think there are good arguments on both sides.”

The altered seeding wouldn’t have affected the Colts-Titans game— Indianapolis had already clinched the second-best record in the AFC—but it could make an impact in other future situations in which one club would have nothing to play for under the current guidelines.

The main motivation for changing the rules is ensuring that the best teams are rewarded. With the NFL aligned in eight four-team divisions, the odds increase that a champion of a weak division may have home field against a wild-card squad from a tough division with a better record.

That happened last season when NFC South champion Tampa Bay (9-7) played host to the New York Giants (10-6). The Giants, who despite having clinched a playoff spot, played all-out in their finale against unbeaten New England, beat the Bucs in Tampa and won two more playoff games on the road.

Then they upset New England in the Super Bowl, crediting in part the 38-35 loss to the Patriots in the regular-season finale for giving them the confidence that they could stay a team seeking to finish a historic 19-0.

The committee is also seeking to revamp its proposal to allow one defensive player to wear a headset in his helmet to communicate with coaches as the quarterback does. NFL owners have previously voted down that idea. A similar rule was considered last season at the NFL meetings.

On offense, it’s easy to ensure that only one player at a time is wearing the headset on the field because it’s always the quarterback. That’s more complicated on defense.

“If your identified defensive starter is injured and you lose the ability to communicate with the defense, how do you handle the backup situation?” said Titans coach Jeff Fisher, the committee’s other co-chair. “Those are the things we’re currently discussing.”

Fisher expected that teams would keep multiple helmets with headsets on the sideline.

“We’re just going through the process of ensuring there’s not any confusion,” he said.

The committee does not plan to propose any rule changes to prevent coaches from calling a timeout just as the ball is snapped on a field goal attempt, as happened several times this past season.

Fisher predicted the trend won’t continue because coaches have realized the move can backfire. His team was the beneficiary of that scenario Nov. 19, when the Denver Broncos called a timeout just before Rob Bironas missed a 56-yard field goal try at the end of the first half. Given a second chance, Bironas made it.

Fisher said prohibiting coaches from calling a timeout with less than 10 seconds left on the play clock isn’t a viable solution.

“Well, what if I’ve got 12 guys on the field and I just recognized it, and now I can’t call a timeout, so I’ve been assessed a 5-yard penalty, and now they’ve got a first down, and a touchdown wins?” he said.

The committee was also briefed by the commissioner’s office on the handling of the Patriots spying scandal. Members did not see the need to change any rules, believing the current ones are sufficient to prevent future incidents.

“The briefing was thorough; it was detailed,” Colts president Bill Polian said. “The process of arriving at the discipline was explained to us. That process was fair, detailed, efficient. What was on the tapes was explained to us and what was in the notes was explained to us. The reason that that information was done away with was explained.

“From my perspective, that was a thorough, fair, efficient process with lots of integrity, and they arrived at a disciplinary action, which the commissioner thought was appropriate and met with previous precedent.”

Here we go again, tryin to fix something that isn't broken IMO :scratch:

NOVA STEELERS
02-22-2008, 08:07 AM
By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports

INDIANAPOLIS – The NFL is investigating a charge by the Chicago Bears that the San Francisco 49ers tampered last year by making overtures to linebacker Lance Briggs, three league sources said.

Chicago and San Francisco discussed a trade in October that would have sent Briggs, a Northern California native, to the 49ers. However, the Bears’ grievance claims that San Francisco held contract talks with agent Drew Rosenhaus during the season, thus interfering with a player under contract.

The 49ers’ counter is that they talked to the Bears first about a possible deal, then contacted Rosenhaus and the NFL Management Council about signing Briggs to a new contract. Because Briggs was designated a franchise player by Chicago last offseason and didn’t reach a long-term deal before the prescribed deadline in July, he was not eligible to sign a new contract with the Bears or any other team, even if he was traded.

San Francisco dropped the idea of trading for Briggs at that point. Briggs, who got the Bears to agree not to franchise him this offseason when he signed last year’s one-year tender, is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of this month.

If the 49ers are found to have tampered, they could be fined or lose a draft pick

:sfsucks:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-22-2008, 08:22 AM
No surprise here, we all knew they were going to resign him since he's the first RB that's done anything for them in a LONG time. He's not the most durable player though and we can usually shut him down pretty well.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Moss wants a ring so I'll be surprised if he doesn't come back but it's going to cost them and you know there's teams out there that will want to throw a bunch of money at him.

NOVA STEELERS
02-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Jessica Simpson's closest friends are convinced she is planning to wed new love Tony Romo. The Dukes of Hazzard star has been seeing American football star Romo for just four months. But friends say she's so serious they are convinced she is already making wedding plans. "I think they're going to get married, said Michael Starr, lead singer of heavy metal comedy band Metal Skool and a close friend of Romo. "I wouldn't be surprised." Sophia Bush, a close frined of both Jessica and Tony who even once dated the sportsman, agrees. "I think they could go the distance," she said. "They're perfect for each other. "They're both funny and wonderful and kind. "I'm rooting for them." -- Show Biz Spy

Bye Bye Franchise :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

NOVA STEELERS
02-22-2008, 08:48 AM
February 21, 2008

Where NFL teams stand in relation to the league salary cap:

OVER
Washington $15 million :hilarious:

Indianapolis $4 million :lol: :yesnod:

AT OR UNDER
Carolina $0 million

New England $5 million :yellowthumb:

St. Louis $5 million

Atlanta $6 million

Baltimore $8 million

Denver $13 million

Philadelphia $13 million

Seattle $14 million

Dallas $14 million

Minnesota $16 million

Arizona $16 million

Green Bay $17 million

Cleveland $18 million

Kansas City $18 million

Pittsburgh $18 million

N.Y. Jets $19 million

Detroit $19 million

Tampa Bay $20 million

Houston $21 million

Chicago $21 million

N.Y. Giants $22 million

Chargers $23 million

Oakland $24 million

Buffalo $27 million

New Orleans $28 million

San Francisco $31 million

Jacksonville $31 million

Miami $32 million

Cincinnati $34 million

Tennessee $38 million

Brady Quinn
02-22-2008, 10:00 AM
He is a great rb that helped us a lot this year.

Brady Quinn
02-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Go Tony!

Brady Quinn
02-22-2008, 10:04 AM
They will sign him.

Brady Quinn
02-22-2008, 10:06 AM
The niners need more than a lb to be good again.

JoeThomas
02-22-2008, 10:37 AM
The niners need more than a lb to be good again.

i agree, a new qb, o line, wr's, and half a defense to start. way to hand the pats the 6th pick niners!:willybs:

AZ_Steeler
02-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Below you will find all the latest headlines from around the league... :yellowthumb: