PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger says Steelers' slow start doesn't worry him

AZ_Steeler
09-27-2006, 10:46 PM
I hope he's not worried because I am! I know it's to early to start worrying I just hope they can get things turned around and that Big Ben can stop be so indecisive with where he's going to throw the ball... entirely to much double clutching!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A9G_e9B3KBtFO7kAkQM5nYcB?slug=ap-steelers-slumpingben&prov=ap&type=lgns)

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Ben Roethlisberger's play has been so off this season, the Super Bowl-winning quarterback joked Wednesday that he's wondering whether his June motorcycle accident is affecting his play.

"The doctors said there's nothing wrong with my brain, but I'm having brain (cramps) out there," Roethlisberger said. "It's one of those things where you make mistakes and you learn from them."

Only Roethlisberger, who won 27 of his first 31 NFL career starts, isn't accustomed to making so many mistakes or losing so many games in so little time. In two starts since returning from the motorcycle crash and a Sept. 3 emergency appendectomy, Roethlisberger has no touchdown passes and five interceptions in losses to the Jaguars and Bengals.

Two of his three interceptions Sunday in the 28-20 loss to the Bengals came inside their 20-year line, the kind of turnover he had never committed before during a regular-season game.

Even in his first two starts as a rookie in 2004, Roethlisberger's numbers weren't so poor. Then, in beating the Dolphins and Bengals, he had two TD passes and one interception.

"I haven't lost two in a row, I think, since my sophomore year in college," he said, though his recollection was a little off. "It's a weird feeling. There are no excuses. I'm not going to blame it on the wind. I'm going to blame it on the way I'm playing. We'll try to find a way to correct it so it doesn't happen again."

Roethlisberger also lost two in a row last season, to the Colts and Bengals, immediately after returning from a three-week layoff following knee surgery. It's understandable why he might not remember -- the Steelers followed that with the eight-game winning streak that got them into the playoffs and carried them through the Super Bowl.

Slow starts are nothing new for Super Bowl teams; the Patriots went 2-2 last year after winning consecutive Super Bowls. However, the Steelers are accustomed to fast starts under Bill Cowher, and this is only their third 1-2 start under him in 15 years.

Also, there are plenty of reasons for the Steelers' offensive problems besides Roethlisberger's mediocre play.

Wide receiver Hines Ward, out for most of the preseason with a sore hamstring, is consistently being double-teamed and his production is down. The running game all but disappeared against the Jaguars. There also were a half-dozen dropped passes the last two weeks.

To get back on track, Cowher told Roethlisberger that he shouldn't be reluctant to scramble when necessary and take yardage when a defense gives it. He also wants the QB to add a little weight. Roethlisberger, skinnier than a year ago, lost about 15 pounds following his June 12 motorcycle wreck and might have a slight loss in arm strength because of it.

"I think we're getting closer, that's the thing," Roethlisberger said. "I've always said that you need to continue to improve or you deteriorate; you never stay the same. People look at it as if we're sliding backward, and I don't think so, not yet. We do have a ways to go but we're making progress."

The Steelers' problem is that they can't make up any ground during a bye week that again comes earlier than they would like. The Steelers don't play again until Oct. 8 at San Diego, yet they already trail the Ravens (3-0) and Bengals (3-0) by two games in the AFC North.

"I think we can see the wall, but I don't think our backs are against it just yet," Roethlisberger said. "We know there's a sense of urgency. We don't like to lose, nobody around here does. It's time for us to button up the chin straps and go at it because we can't afford to lose many more football games.

"I think you'll see a new team come out of this bye week."

:iagree: and hope so!

Koopa
09-27-2006, 10:49 PM
i agree with ben, we shouldn't worry.....so far we should probably be 2-1 jags kicked our asses, no excuses there....we have a ligit excuse with the bengals loss but hey they took advantage of our mistakes and beat us so i can't really take anything away.......also they had a short week to get healed and prepare for the bengals.....i'm a little worried that we have to play san diego right after the bye cause of that defense...but hopefully ours will get into the head of rivers and make him f'k up a lot lol

BlitzburghRockCity
09-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Ben is always the confident one, he's never lacking in that dept. We all know he can continue to shake off the rust and get the timing back down with the WR's, eliminate the dumb mistakes and all that....here's to it happening sooner rather than later :beer2:

SteelerFan87
09-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Ben should be fine against that defense. They stuff the run, but are bad against the pass. I can see Ben throwing some early td passes. And yeah, I think our defense will be all over Rivers. The Big Nasty D loves inexperienced QBs.

AZ_Steeler
09-27-2006, 11:01 PM
I think once he gets his first TD pass we'll see his confidence go through the roof! I just hope he doesn't try any of those "bombs" down field like he did against the Bengals.

House of Steel
09-27-2006, 11:01 PM
We are going to rock San Diego. Cowher owns Schottenheimer. I am not worried in the least, this bye week came at the perfect time.

K Train
09-27-2006, 11:07 PM
the sow start upsets me, but the sky hasnt fallen on pittsburgh yet, we always start out slow, we crushed HOU, and TEN last year but when a quality team came around we lost, even though we were robbed 1:00 off the clock, but slow starts are typical, especially when ben has been rusty like he has been which is understandable.

I hope Troy is healthy, he owns Gates

BBG7
09-27-2006, 11:24 PM
I refuse to worry yet. The Steelers are a team I have faith in and know can overcome this. It will have everyone doubting us just like last year, and give them something more to fight for.