PDA

View Full Version : Another OT.....

DIESELMAN
02-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Been reading up on this guy. Anyone know anything about him or seen him play? Started 11 games as LT this past season, made 15 run blocks for TD's. Was penalized only twice and gave up just 6 sacks. He helped the Jayhawks to almost 200 yds rushing. Registered 108 knockdowns in 2007.

Anthony Collins OT Kansas 6'6" 308 lbs.

Prototypical OT build, not a finesse player, likes to mix it up and gives a strong punch. Likes to put his man on the ground, can't be bull rushed, maintains his balance very well. Doesn't let go once he's locked on, in both run and pass blocking. Has the straight line speed and athleticism to get out in the open and hit a moving target.

Kansas Profile (http://kuathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/collins_anthony00.html)

K Train
02-20-2008, 10:11 PM
he gives up 6 sacks in 11 games, williams gives up 2 sacks in 3 years....i really dont like collins before the 3rd

DIESELMAN
02-20-2008, 10:20 PM
he gives up 6 sacks in 11 games, williams gives up 2 sacks in 3 years....i really dont like collins before the 3rd
True...just throwin another name out there, don't want everybody to get their hopes up on just 1 guy. I just hope Tomlin and Colbert are on the same page.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-23-2008, 11:24 AM
We don't know how many of those might be coverage sacks though too but either way depending on what they do in the 1st round I'd take him in the 2nd round..if he lasts till the 3rd round then I'd definitely take him regardless.

BlackGold4vr
02-23-2008, 11:47 AM
One of the ways the Steelers can't help but improve as a unit is to simply place Sean Mahan on the bench or better yet on waivers. I don't think Mahan could separate a 4 year old from their halloween candy. I also think that Faneca and Simmons played all year trying to cover for the weakness that Mahan brought to the table. Because he couldn't get any movement at all on his man and was often pushed back into the backfield the whole line looked bad. I have read that they are going to give Darnell Stapleton a good look this spring but I also would not be surprised to see them pick up a guy like Lichtensteiger in the 4th round. You cannot expect any degree of success on offense when your interior line is collapsing on most plays. When you think back to the great O-lines we have had they always included someone who could move the pile and anchor the center of the line. Our O-line will not be fixed unless they find a new center period! :yesnod:

Mike Webster, C, Wisconsin, 5th round - 125th overall
Dermotti Dawson, C, Kentucky, 2nd round - 44th overall
Jeff Harting

Black@Gold Forever32
02-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Been reading up on this guy. Anyone know anything about him or seen him play? Started 11 games as LT this past season, made 15 run blocks for TD's. Was penalized only twice and gave up just 6 sacks. He helped the Jayhawks to almost 200 yds rushing. Registered 108 knockdowns in 2007.

Anthony Collins OT Kansas 6'6" 308 lbs.

Prototypical OT build, not a finesse player, likes to mix it up and gives a strong punch. Likes to put his man on the ground, can't be bull rushed, maintains his balance very well. Doesn't let go once he's locked on, in both run and pass blocking. Has the straight line speed and athleticism to get out in the open and hit a moving target.

Kansas Profile (http://kuathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/collins_anthony00.html)

I like Collins.......If the top OTs are gone in the first when the Steelers pick then he would be an option in the 2nd round......

DIESELMAN
02-23-2008, 12:10 PM
One of the ways the Steelers can't help but improve as a unit is to simply place Sean Mahan on the bench or better yet on waivers. I don't think Mahan could separate a 4 year old from their halloween candy. I also think that Faneca and Simmons played all year trying to cover for the weakness that Mahan brought to the table. Because he couldn't get any movement at all on his man and was often pushed back into the backfield the whole line looked bad. I have read that they are going to give Darnell Stapleton a good look this spring but I also would not be surprised to see them pick up a guy like Lichtensteiger in the 4th round. You cannot expect any degree of success on offense when your interior line is collapsing on most plays. When you think back to the great O-lines we have had they always included someone who could move the pile and anchor the center of the line. Our O-line will not be fixed unless they find a new center period! :yesnod:

Mike Webster, C, Wisconsin, 5th round - 125th overall
Dermotti Dawson, C, Kentucky, 2nd round - 44th overall
Jeff Harting
Hartings was a 1st rounder (23) by the Lions in 1996. Mahan definitely set our OL back last season (not by much but still set it back). I don't know who the scout or whoever thought he was any good, but he should be put on waivers to.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-23-2008, 01:22 PM
All of those former Steeler centers were converted Guards at one time or another too...and I guess they felt Mahan being a converted Guard would have something to offer...chalk that bungle up a learning experience that you don't reach for a player just because you need one.

BlackGold4vr
02-23-2008, 01:41 PM
All of those former Steeler centers were converted Guards at one time or another too...and I guess they felt Mahan being a converted Guard would have something to offer...chalk that bungle up a learning experience that you don't reach for a player just because you need one.

I believe that is why they lump centers and guards together just as interior lineman. We need a guard, tackle and a center IMO. The guard and tackle could fill back-up roles while they learn and compete for a starters job, but we need somebody new at center right now who can stand their ground on pass-pro and get some push on run blocks. Kemoeatu and Colon could compete for Faneca's vacated spot. Starks should reclaim the RT spot. That still leaves the biggest question mark at center. :2cents:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-23-2008, 01:48 PM
Center is a position we never had to worry about for the last 35 years or whatever because we've always had that franchise guy that you knew could hold his own and anchor the line. Now that Hartings is gone we can't play musical centers anymore or get a 2nd rate guy that we hope will work. Mahan won that job last summer mainly because the competition for the job wasn't anything spectacular and nobody really stepped up to take the job so he ended up with it..plus he got a nice contract which didn't hurt either. If they are smart they'll find the right now this year and keep him around for a good long time otherwise the other 4 positions will be hampered once again.

Captcoolhand
02-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Center is a position we never had to worry about for the last 35 years or whatever because we've always had that franchise guy that you knew could hold his own and anchor the line. Now that Hartings is gone we can't play musical centers anymore or get a 2nd rate guy that we hope will work. Mahan won that job last summer mainly because the competition for the job wasn't anything spectacular and nobody really stepped up to take the job so he ended up with it..plus he got a nice contract which didn't hurt either. If they are smart they'll find the right now this year and keep him around for a good long time otherwise the other 4 positions will be hampered once again.
I was just thinking the same thing....This is Mahans first season here after signing a 5yr,17million dollar contract.
If they don't get him back to the position he is best suited for, we are going to have another ****** seaon with our O-line.
You know they won't cut him because it would just cost way to much in penalties.:2cents:

BlackGold4vr
02-23-2008, 02:02 PM
I agree that center was our weakest link last year and I don't think we really want Mahan playing guard either. The same NT's and DT's that were owning him at center would still own him at guard. The two immediate needs for our O-line are at center to replace Mahan and LG to replace Faneca. After that we do need another competent tackle who can step in for Marvel who we all know has back problems. I like Colon, Simmons, Smith and Starks. Throw in a Darnell Stapleton or a Kory Lichtensteiger at center and we could be set. Mahan should be waived! Williams, Clady, Otah, Albert, Cherilus would all be good picks for us. Lichtensteiger would make a nice 4th round pick and would give us some more options at the center position.

:tt02:

DIESELMAN
02-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Mahan won that job last summer mainly because the competition for the job wasn't anything spectacular and nobody really stepped up to take the job so he ended up with it..plus he got a nice contract which didn't hurt either.
Your right, when the competiton is Chukky (6 year career backup), he is on his 2nd team since he got dropped here, go figure right? This is where the scouts step up and say "hey the guy you want is no good, we need to draft this guy" I got a feeling that Cowher over ruled a lot of picks cuz thats not who he wanted, now we're looking at DL age and depth problems and OL starter and depth problems.

DIESELMAN
02-23-2008, 02:06 PM
I was just thinking the same thing....This is Mahans first season here after signing a 5yr,17million dollar contract.
If they don't get him back to the position he is best suited for, we are going to have another shiatty seaon with our O-line.
You know they won't cut him because it would just cost way to much in penalties.:2cents:
You may be right but that would be the only reason he would be on the team...penalties :greengrin:

Throw in a Darnell Stapleton or a Kory Lichtensteiger at center and we could be set. Mahan should be waived! Williams, Clady, Otah, Albert, Cherilus would all be good picks for us. Lichtensteiger would make a nice 4th round pick and would give us some more options at the center position.
:plus1: If Stapleton could put some extra weight on, who knows, can't be any worse then Mahan.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-23-2008, 02:08 PM
I agree that center was our weakest link last year and I don't think we really want Mahan playing guard either. The same NT's and DT's that were owning him at center would still own him at guard. The two immediate needs for our O-line are at center to replace Mahan and RG to replace Faneca. After that we do need another competent tackle who can step in for Marvel who we all know has back problems. I like Colon, Simmons, Smith and Starks. Throw in a Darnell Stapleton or a Kory Lichtensteiger at center and we could be set. Mahan should be waived! Williams, Clady, Otah, Albert, Cherilus would all be good picks for us. Lichtensteiger would make a nice 4th round pick and would give us some more options at the center position.

:tt02:

I agree I don't want Mahan starting period at OG or C...lol With his terrible play last season I don't think he would be much better at OG.......

The Steelers need a center period.....You like Lichtensteiger and I have no problems with that pick either....But I'm big on Doug Legursky from Marshall....Plus Simmons or even Willie Colon might move to center also....I have read on various sites that both of them could be in the mix for the starting centers spot in 2008.....Colon will at least have to move to OG....He isn't a OT at the NFL level thats for sure...

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

You may be right but that would be the only reason he would be on the team...penalties :greengrin:

:plus1: If Stapleton could put some extra weight on, who knows, can't be any worse then Mahan.

Would have to agree with you on Stapleton......He couldn't be any worse then Mahan...lol