PDA

View Full Version : Steelers move to secure Starks, solidify offensive line

Koopa
02-20-2008, 08:41 PM
The Steelers took a big step today toward trying to solidify their offensive line by placing the "transition" tag on unrestricted tackle Max Starks -- a move that means the team will have to pay Starks the average of the top 10 tackles in the National Football League.

With the Steelers already expected to lose Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca in free agency, the move to keep Starks also means the team won't have to be as active in free agency in an attempt to rebuild their offensive line.

Starks, a four-year veteran and two-year starter, lost his starting right tackle spot last season to Willie Colon, a move that all but signaled the end of his Steelers career. But when left tackle Marvel Smith was injured late in the season, Starks played so well at left tackle that he drastically increased his free-agent value and forced the Steelers to reconsider his value to the team.

By placing the transition tag on Starks, the Steelers also have first right of refusal should another team try to sign the 6-foot-8, 345-pound tackle.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08051/859113-66.stm

BlitzburghRockCity
02-20-2008, 08:44 PM
I don't think there's any way Starks get that much money unless Arizona really wants him. Ive heard rumors that Tampa might be interested too but unless something totally unforeseen happens he'll be back next year. I would bet they'll work on getting him inked to a long term deal before the offseason is over.

Let's just hope to God they don't shy away from taking a T in the draft because God knows we need it and Marvel is entering the last year of his deal.

Ambridge
02-20-2008, 09:01 PM
a move that means the team will have to pay Starks the average of the top 10 tackles in the National Football League.

No way Starks is worth that.
Heard speculation the Steelers migh draft OT Jeff Otah from Univ. of Pittsburgh.

The Steelers need to purge the roster of these half assed "maybe" players like Starks and start drafting some young solid talent.

Stlrs4Life
02-20-2008, 09:18 PM
What's the difference between the Transition Tag, and Franchise Tag then?

DIESELMAN
02-20-2008, 09:23 PM
What's the difference between the Transition Tag, and Franchise Tag then?
A franchise players salary is an average of the top 5 at his position whereas a transition is an average of the top 10. Plus a transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match within seven days an offer sheet given to the player by another club after his contract expires. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation.

DIESELMAN
02-20-2008, 09:39 PM
The Steelers gave Starks a one-year tender offer of $6.895 million. Come March, if another team wants to sign Starks, the Steelers would have seven days to match an offer.

Unlike the franchise tag, the transition tag does not carry any draft choice compensation if the team that transitions a player decides to let him go.

Two years ago, the Seahawks placed the transition tag on guard Steve Hutchinson. The Vikings inserted two "poison pill" clauses in the contract, and the Seahawks did not match. They came back and signed wide receiver Nate Burleson from the Vikings, who was a restricted free agent that year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3255502

BlackGold4vr
02-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Because of the overhaul our O-line needs and with Faneca leaving this wasn't a bad move. Keep Starks for another year and even if we overpay for him it gives us more depth and options. They still need to draft at least 2 O-lineman this year. Just thinking out loud.

Starters:
Marvel Smith LT
Chris Kemoeatu LG
Kory Lichtensteiger C
Willie Colon RG
Max Starks RT

Reserves:
Chris Williams/Ryan Clady/Gosder Cherilus T
Sean Mahan G/C
Kendal Simmons C/G
Trai Essex T
Branden Albert G/T

I want Kory Lichtensteiger! I absolutely love what the scouts say about Lichtensteiger.

Ht: 6-2 Wt: 305 40: 5.30 Yr: 3So

Pos: Explosive run blocker best in confined quarters. Plays with forward lean, stays square and controls opponents at the point. Works to get underneath opponents, nasty and finishes blocks. Anchors in pass protection.

Neg: Not light on his feet nor comfortable in space and lacks footwork.

Analysis: A solid small area blocker, Lichtensteiger is best suited for a power running game.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Because of the overhaul our O-line needs and with Faneca leaving this wasn't a bad move. Keep Starks for another year and even if we overpay for him it gives us more depth and options. They still need to draft at least 2 O-lineman this year. Just thinking out loud.

Starters:
Marvel Smith LT
Chris Kemoeatu LG
Kory Lichtensteiger C
Willie Colon RG
Max Starks RT

Reserves:
Sean Mahan G/C
Kendal Simmons C/G
Trai Essex T
Branden Albert G/T

I want Kory Lichtensteiger! I absolutely love what the scouts say about Lichtensteiger.

Pos: Explosive run blocker best in confined quarters. Plays with forward lean, stays square and controls opponents at the point. Works to get underneath opponents, nasty and finishes blocks. Anchors in pass protection.

Analysis: A solid small area blocker, Lichtensteiger is best suited for a power running game.

Doug Legursky is a badass center to....He is strong and nasty....Has the stones to handle the huge NTs across the NFL....I think Doug will be around in rounds 4-5 also....

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------
As for Max Starks....This team better draft an OT even if Starks is back with the team....

Koopa
02-20-2008, 10:03 PM

Starters:
Marvel Smith LT
Chris Kemoeatu LG
Kory Lichtensteiger C
Willie Colon RG
Max Starks RT

Reserves:
Sean Mahan G/C
Kendal Simmons C/G
Trai Essex T
Branden Albert G/T

to bad we are nowhere near a power running team

DIESELMAN
02-20-2008, 10:24 PM
As for Max Starks....This team better draft an OT even if Starks is back with the team....
Yeah cuz as it stands right now, Starks and Smith are the only OT's we have, I'm not talkin Essex and Colon converting from OG, but true OT's. We need starters and depth, otherwise Ben better take out a 1 Billion dollar life insurance policy cuz come this season, those 47 sacks from last year are gonna look pretty ****ing good. :greengrin:

BlackGold4vr
02-20-2008, 10:46 PM
to bad we are nowhere near a power running team

And one of the biggest reasons that Willie was stacked up on most plays running between the tackles was because Mahan aka Turnstile couldn't get any forward push and in fact was pushed backwards most of the time. If we get a nasty center that can hold his ground and move people out of the way our running game will be vastly improved regardless of who is running! :yesnod:

K Train
02-20-2008, 10:55 PM
i love the move....teams were salivating over him and he did do a great job at LT...theres still hope imo

BlitzburghRockCity
02-20-2008, 11:29 PM
The Steelers gave Starks a one-year tender offer of $6.895 million

I don't think there's any way in hell Starks get an offer that big from anyone so I think we're pretty safe with him coming back. What we're seeing here now is the team trying to keep as many decent players on the line as they can, really on both sides of the ball, so there isn't so much pressure on draft day to get a guy that needs to play right away. If they do go after Otah in the 1st round he may very well contend for a starting spot but more than likely he'll sit and play backup for a year till Marvel is let go or they make more moves next year and his time to shine comes.

Also what they seem to be doing is really working their way around the Center position. They tender Max so he'll be back, they get Kemoeatu back so he can step in for Faneca. They expect Marvel to be back for 1 more year while they groom a new LT and really all that's left to contend with after that is who is going to play Center. It's smart football to surround yourself with players who can get the job done or have shown enough potential to be good but at the same time not overpaying for a veteran like Alan or trying to force a rookie to step in at Tackle when maybe they aren't quite ready and risk Ben getting killed again. Keeping Starks makes sense if for no other reason than the guy can play both LT and RT and we all know the team loves lineman that are versatile. Max is getting this chance and he needs to step up to the plate.

Zachintosh66
02-21-2008, 01:30 AM

Last time I checked FWP isnt a power back...

BlackGold4vr
02-21-2008, 01:49 AM
Last time I checked FWP isnt a power back...

Last I checked centers who collapse like a house of cards on each play aren't good for running or passing games. What would be wrong with having a great run blocking center who could push people out of the way? :scratch:

Koopa
02-21-2008, 01:57 AM
Last I checked centers who collapse like a house of cards on each play aren't good for running or passing games. What would be wrong with having a great run blocking center who could push people out of the way? :scratch:

he's good at run blocking, but how is he against the pass, we are becoming more of a passing team.......... so could he protect ben??

BlitzburghRockCity
02-21-2008, 07:12 AM
The more you sit back and analyze this team's offensive line in 2007 the more you realize that so much pressure came right up the middle flushing Ben out of the pocket and right into the hands of a pass rusher or blitzing DB. Pressure up the middle kills any play you can dream up no matter who you are. If we don't sure up the Center position it doesn't matter who is playing tackle or guard for us in 2008 because Ben will be running for his life again. Most lineman can run block pretty good but pass blocking is an art form that has to be taught and perfected at the next level so as long as he's atleast a decent pass blocker then bring him on because he can be taught how to hold his own. If you're going to be a day 1 pick then you should have a good enough head on your shoulders to learn what you need to.

DIESELMAN
02-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Just remember, Starks can still walk, this tag doesn't guarantee he will be a Steeler come the 2008 season. Whether he stays or goes, we need OL drafted on day 1, preferably Williams #1 and a G for #2.

V_83
02-21-2008, 06:24 PM
I like starks overall and I'm glad that we're trying to keep him, but I seem to remember him false starting a-lot. It could just be me, or I might be thinking of somebody else, but if not then that is something he needs to really work on.

NOVA STEELERS
03-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Sources say they have not even tried to negotiate a long-term deal with Max Starks. The reasoning is another old Steelers philosophy: They do not want to give him a starting point, so he can shop their deal around to other teams. There are two ways that Starks will remain with the Steelers next season -- if he receives little interest from other teams, or if he signs a contract with another team the Steelers believe is reasonable to match. -- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
:scratch: :dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
03-01-2008, 11:08 AM
It's a smart move by them because he doesn't HAVE to sign with us regardless of what we offer him. If they offer him a big deal he can go somewhere else and try to get more and then come back to us to try and match it and get more money. They'll wait for a bit and see what kind of offers he gets in FA and then try to work out a long term deal.