PDA

View Full Version : America's Team? It's the Steelers

AZ_Steeler
09-27-2006, 01:01 PM
:towelwave: Finally! Dallas can't claim themselves as "America's Team"!!! :tt02:

http://www.aolsportsblog.com/2006/09/27/americas-team-its-the-steelers/

If you think you see Steelers bumper stickers and caps everywhere, you're right. According to the results of a recent Harris poll (http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060926/nytu162.html?.v=58), the most popular NFL team is the Steelers (16 percent of fans called the Steelers their favorite team), with the Cowboys (15 percent) following slightly behind. While the Cowboys are still No. 2, they've fallen like an anvil since the poll began in 1999, when the Cowboys were the favorite of 25 percent of fans.

Thanks to Peyton Manning, the Colts have risen from being one of the least popular teams in the NFL in 1999 (1 percent) to third place (13 percent).

By the way, if you're a Jaguars, Saints or Ravens fan, congratulations, you're not a bandwagon jumper, as you're one of a rare breed, especially Jacksonville fans--the club finished dead last with 1 percent of respondents. I don't know what's more amazing, that the Jaguars have not drawn more than three percent since the poll began, or the fact that the Cardinals, the NFL's perennial foot stool, finished ahead of three other teams.

Prosdo
09-27-2006, 01:04 PM
I love it. Especially seeing as we beat out Dallas!

BBG7
09-27-2006, 02:04 PM
I've been saying this forever. Remember the last time we played in Dallas, there were so many Steelers fans there at the home of "America's Team". There self proclaimed title was lost a long time ago in my eyes.

Steelersfan
09-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Ratbirds right down at the bottom where they belong! hahahahahaha!!!!

RW318
09-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Lets just pretend the Steelers didnt win the Superbowl last year...and dont have all those bandwagon fans lol. I bet when the Patriots won those Superbowls.....they had the most fans.

Plus, Werent the Cowboys dubbed that by that NFL films guy? Not like fans just started saying it....

Steelersfan
09-27-2006, 02:59 PM
They were talking about the cheerleaders!.....lol

SteelersfaninPhilly
09-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Amazing the cards finished ahead of three other teams.

House of Steel
09-27-2006, 04:22 PM
I am not surprised. Cleveland in the middle of the pact??? I question that, at the beginning of the season they pack the house and then as the season goes on and the losing goes on, the fans drop off by the thousands. LMAO.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-27-2006, 07:54 PM
I just love beating out the Ratbirds !! As if there was ever a doubt in the first place ! :tt02:

AZ_Steeler
09-27-2006, 08:36 PM
They were talking about the cheerleaders!.....lol

Good one! :bigthumb:

The Steelers have always been near the top when it comes to these fan based polls. They do have a huge following where Dallas is probably has it's fan base in a general area of the country. It would be cool to see a map of where each team gets it support.

Koopa
09-27-2006, 10:57 PM
Lets just pretend the Steelers didnt win the Superbowl last year...and dont have all those bandwagon fans lol. I bet when the Patriots won those Superbowls.....they had the most fans.

Plus, Werent the Cowboys dubbed that by that NFL films guy? Not like fans just started saying it....

then you'd lose that bet.....read the stuff......http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060926/nytu162.html?.v=58

SteelerFan87
09-27-2006, 11:21 PM
LOL! Bandwagon Steelers fans! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That's hilarious, because anybody who's ever been to Pittsburgh knows that Steeler fans aren't made, they're born. It's practically a law in Pittsburgh that you love the Steelers. And as for the fans around the country, that's because people from Pittsburgh have left to find jobs, and continued to be Steelers fans (which is pretty much the definition of hardcore, and the opposite of bandwagon), and have in some cases converted friends. And anybody who moves to Pittsburgh is almost forced to become a Steelers fan. I know a Packers fan who just moved here who is becoming a Steelers fan, hell, I know BROWNS fans who married my cousins, and are now lessening their hatred of the Steelers.

BBG7
09-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Of course some people have jumped on the bandwagon, but to say that Steelers fans are bandwagon fans is absolutely crazy. We have fans everywhere you look. There are Steelers bars in almost every single town, and every single away game the announcers talk about how many Steeler fans are there.

House of Steel
09-27-2006, 11:44 PM
I was born in Canton, Ohio, the home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Growing up from baby to 10 years of age, I was always watching the Dallas Cowboys and the Cleveland Browns cause that is what I father enjoyed. I was living close to Cincinnati when I was 10 years old, a friend of mine who's father is a very big Steelers fan. He saved newspaper clippings and old videos of the Super Steelers years of the 70s. I started watching those and immediately fell in love with the Steelers. My family is all Browns Lovers, but I am the outcast, I AM DAMN PROUD TO INHERIT THE BLOOD OF THE BLACK AND GOLD OF THE BEST DAMN NFL FRANCHISE IN EXISTENCE, THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS. 22 YEARS AS A FAN AND DAMN PROUD OF IT!!!

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

RW318
09-28-2006, 10:22 AM
then you'd lose that bet.....read the stuff......http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060926/nytu162.html?.v=58

Then...look at the huge jump in fans for the Patriots....thats all you need to know.

Im not saying every Steeler fan is a bandwagon fan....every team has fans everywhere. What im saying is...theres people who have no teams...jump from champ to champ. So of course when a team that already has a huge fan base wins the Superbowl...theyre gonna have the most "fans" that year.

House of Steel
09-28-2006, 10:25 AM
The Steeler Nation is no where's near a Bandwagon Jumper Fan Base. You got your fact all crooked. Of course, New England, on the other hand, their fan base is going down. Look at the Cowboys in the 1990's, they had more bandwagon jumpers than I can ever recall and now look at em. Where the hell did they all go? Let's jump off the cliff and kill ourselves! :lol:

suitanim
09-28-2006, 10:43 AM
I don't know about America's Team, but I do know that due to heavy Cocaine usage in the 70's and 80's, the Cowboys were dubbed "South America's Team"...

RW318
09-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Well the Steelers adult fan base made a huge leap from 2004 to 2005....did all of them just not have the time to take a poll in 03 & 04?

House of Steel
09-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Who let this class clown in here? Where is the DUNCE cap when you need one?

RW318
09-28-2006, 10:58 AM
Dont get mad...im asking you an honest question. Its the same for every team...not like im just talking trash about the Steelers.

I woulda never came in here but I saw Americas Team...and figured it could only mean one thing.

House of Steel
09-28-2006, 11:02 AM
I am not mad, I am joking, dude. Don't take everything so seriously. Honest Answer is, the Steeler Nation was a strong base ever since the 70s. I wouldn't question the fan base of the Steelers ever cause there are home breeded Steelers Fans all over the country born in Pittsburgh and moved for their careers. You want to question some fans, look at Cleveland, look at Baltimore, good grief talk about the biggest bandwagoners fan base, look at Cincinnati. Tell me what your opinion is here.

RW318
09-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Well the Bengals fan base pretty much hasnt changed much according to the poll...theyve been up and down from 2-4 for the past 8 years. Same thing for the Ravens and Browns. Steelers are the only ones with huge drops and rises as far as adult fans taking the poll in the division.

BBG7
09-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Well the Bengals fan base pretty much hasnt changed much according to the poll...theyve been up and down from 2-4 for the past 8 years. Same thing for the Ravens and Browns. Steelers are the only ones with huge drops and rises as far as adult fans taking the poll in the division.

You can't base everything on one poll because not every fan in the NFL was polled. So it may give you some idea, but you can't base everything on it. There are many more factors involed.

SteelersFire
09-28-2006, 02:16 PM
They didn't poll me! :lol: My Black n Gold blood has been running hot since the 70s thank you, and I've never lived anywhere near Pittsburgh. I just love this team's heart and spirit and their F*** U tood when all those bandwagon fans (not to mention the media circus) dis 'em. They've got the stuff from which greatness is born, God bless 'em, and win or lose they're the team for me. :)

SteelerFan87
09-28-2006, 04:10 PM

Oh, trust me, there's been a huge increase in the number of Bengals fans. (Or at least people who will admit that they're bengals fans) There's a video about the bengals bandwagon on youtube, made by a bengals fan, that asks where everyone was back when the Bengals sucked.

SteelerDan43
09-28-2006, 04:12 PM
Just confirming a fact we already knew.... lol

suitanim
09-28-2006, 08:46 PM
The best measure is to live in a tourist area that's filled with transplants. I lived in Orlando, Florida. I was there for nearly 10 years, and spent many, MANY a Sunday in sports bars watching football. There was a plethora of Browns fans, but I remember seeing less then 5 Bengals fans (at least fans that wore Bengals gear) TOTAL in 10 years. And that's people visiting and transplants who moved to Florida.

There were whole crowds of Browns fans, but nary a Bungal fan. The proof is in the pudding, the TRUE Bengal fan may exist, but they are VERY rare. Bear in mind that for a few years THE BROWNS DIDN'T EVEN HAVE A TEAM! Yet, they still managed to show some team pride at a rate of about 100-1 over Bungals fans.

BlacknGold Bleeder
09-28-2006, 10:22 PM
Idon't care what that title says I don't want to be "America's Team" !!The only way to go is to be THE STEELER NATION !!!

BBG7
09-28-2006, 10:43 PM
Idon't care what that title says I don't want to be "America's Team" !!The only way to go is to be THE STEELER NATION !!!

I would say I have to agree with you. I can't stand bandwagon fans regardless of the team they are chearing for. But I will say, I believe the Steelers have the largest true fan base in the NFL :tt02:

augustashark
09-29-2006, 12:43 AM
Screw being "America's Team". We here are used to being fans of "THE BEST TEAM"!!!!!!!!!!

House of Steel
09-29-2006, 12:48 AM
Screw being "America's Team". We here are used to being fans of "THE BEST TEAM"!!!!!!!!!!

AMEN!!!