PDA

View Full Version : Is Russel a legit option for us at RB in 2008 ?

BlitzburghRockCity
02-17-2008, 01:47 AM
Maybe this kid is a diamond in the rough and just hasn't had a chance to shine yet. He did get some action late in the season but before that he didn't play a down as far as I remember so Im thinking...how much confidence does Tomlin and Arians have in this kid to be a good compliment RB and possibly take on a bigger role or are they going to seriously make a run at a RB in the draft?

Colbert eluded to the fact that even RB is an option on day 1 so that tells me either that it's a smoke screen or else they don't have enough confidence that Russel can be a good backup and carry the load if need be. Parker and Davenport are the starters but I think if Russel is given the chance to get some carries he might surprise some people ?

BlackGold4vr
02-17-2008, 02:32 AM
If we can fix the O-line it won't matter who is running through the holes. Just like the 90's Steelers or Broncos. Both teams had great O-lines and it didn't matter who the RB was. With the line we had this past year, Jim Brown couldn't have done much! Most of the time the line collapsed through the middle with Turnstile (Mahan) trying to get out of the way of defenders. :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-17-2008, 03:14 AM
Russel was a very good RB in college.....So he has talent....I don't think the guy will ever be a super star at the NFL level....But I do think he could fit into a RB rotation with no problems.....

BlitzburghRockCity
02-17-2008, 10:21 AM
If we can fix the O-line it won't matter who is running through the holes. Just like the 90's Steelers or Broncos. Both teams had great O-lines and it didn't matter who the RB was. With the line we had this past year, Jim Brown couldn't have done much! Most of the time the line collapsed through the middle with Turnstile (Mahan) trying to get out of the way of defenders. :lol:

Yeah that's one thing about the broncos; fans can say what they want about them and their lines questionable blocking tactics but Shanahan could pee wee herman and put him back there with the rock and he'd gain 1000 yds.LOL. I miss our solid lines we've had through most of the Cowher era. We've generally had very immobile QB's over the years except for Kordell and Cowher always preached OL and made it a priority to get FA's and draft guys that could play and keep his Quarterbacks upright and let players like Barry Foster, Bam Morris, etc be productive year in and year out.

Russel was a very good RB in college.....So he has talent....I don't think the guy will ever be a super star at the NFL level....But I do think he could fit into a RB rotation with no problems.....

That's the hard part is getting all these guys carries to keep them fresh but still keep the rhythmn of the running game. If we continue to use Parker as the starter and get Davenport more 3rd down carries or just in general give him a series here and there during a game to keep Willie fresh it will go a long way. The same could be done with Russel too and just let him get out there and carry the ball to see what he can really do. It's a win win situation for the whole team having 3 productive RB's available.

SteelerSteve
02-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Were always talking about finding a good balance between Parker and Davenport but I really dont think that any great difference will come from that. We just need to focus on the O-Line and like someone already stated it wont matter who we have back there.

JoeThomas
02-17-2008, 11:22 AM
i think its always good to have running backs. with the beatings they take during the season, having 2-3 good RB's is needed.

Captcoolhand
02-17-2008, 12:17 PM
What about FullBack, do anyone think this kid Owen Schmidt would be worth a 4th or 5th round to maybe replace Kreider:scratch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TUKrH197eE

yinzer
02-17-2008, 12:43 PM
What about FullBack, do anyone think this kid Owen Schmidt would be worth a 4th or 5th round to maybe replace Kreider:scratch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TUKrH197eE

Schmidt is an animal. I watched a t.v. special on him and he is a beast as far as college full backs are concerned. i guess we'd have to draft him and try him out before we knew if he was a good fit or not. if we don't grab him soon, some other team surely will. for now, i believe we should stick with fixing the swivel of an O-line we have. :2cents:

NOVA STEELERS
02-17-2008, 01:45 PM
IMO Russell should at least be given a chance to show what he has and it would save drafting a running back this year more a more pressing need OL/DL

Would not minf picking up O. Schmidt in the 4 or 5th round either

steelcityrockers
02-17-2008, 03:22 PM
I like Gary Russel. Not fast at all really, but can push he pile. Did not watch him at Minnesota so I cannot coment on him in college. I would like to see him get a chance this year. Probably a career backup.

Stlrs4Life
02-17-2008, 07:35 PM
I think Russel will be fine. I think he gets more time this season. I would get ri of Carey Davis though, I think he stinks.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Russel from the little big we saw of him definitely seems to run hard and play bigger than his size might indicate. I think Tomlin learned something this year with the RB's..that you can't just run Willie all year and expect to have anything left by late December into January. We've got other guys that can share the load and hopefully next year Willie gets a few less carries and hopefully we're more adept to handle a crisis if it happens like it did this year when Willie went down.

K Train
02-17-2008, 09:23 PM
hes a bruiser and has got good vision....i think hes got potential

steelcitysfinestXL
02-18-2008, 09:44 AM
hes a bruiser and has got good vision....i think hes got potential
nuff said!!! :plus1:

I think Russel can be of value to this squad... dude had a monster year splitting time w/ Maroney at Minnesota... he has untapped talent!!!! With that said ... DRAFT CHRIS JOHNSON... lol i want all the runningback we can get... get rid of Davis, hes a preseason flash in the pan guy... Dont resign V-Haynes, i was always a fan but he is finished as a steeler!!!! PUT DAN KRIEDER BACK AT FULL BACK... is hes health he's one of the best blocking back around!!!! With Dookie, Russel, and :crossfingers: Johnson :crossfingers: we could have a nice compliment of speed and power!!!!!

V_83
02-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Schmidt is an animal. I watched a t.v. special on him and he is a beast as far as college full backs are concerned. i guess we'd have to draft him and try him out before we knew if he was a good fit or not. if we don't grab him soon, some other team surely will. for now, i believe we should stick with fixing the swivel of an O-line we have. :2cents:

That's what I see happening. Schmidt is an amazing athlete, but there are way bigger problems that we need to solve. Although I would be very happy if we did pick him up.