PDA

View Full Version : Should Pete Rose be in the HOF ?

BlitzburghRockCity
09-26-2006, 04:13 PM
I'll admit I'm not a big baseball fan, watching the sport on TV just doesn't appeal to me to be honest. I watch the World Series which is pretty cool but overall I'd hardly call myself a big fan of watching baseball. I like going to games and being in the live atmosphere of the stadium, and I played baseball from little league through highschool so I know enough about the sport.

Having said that, I was listening to Dan Patrick today and they were talking about Rose again and if he should be in the HOF. Do you think he should be kept out forever or given a chance to be on the ballot like everyone else ?

I think the hardcore baseball fans would probably rather see him stay out for what he did, and I don't know that the HOF voting committee would ever want him in anyways to be honest.

AZ_Steeler
09-26-2006, 04:25 PM
Considering what some of the super stars have gotten themselves involved with now-a-days (Steroids, HGH, etc) Rose betting on baseball is pretty minor in my book! So what, he bet on baseball! I know it's against the rules but I'm sure a whole lot more people in MLB have bet on it as well. Unfortunately he was the only one to get caught. Rose did a lot for the game and was and he was always fun to watch! So, YES, Rose should already be in the HOF!

BlitzburghRockCity
09-26-2006, 04:32 PM
My thinking is Im kinda torn, I mean yes the guy bet on baseball but its not like he did something that should keep him out of the game forever. What about all the great plays he made, all the fans he brought in and revenue to the sport from his jerseys from the Phillies and Reds and whatnot. I just don't think you can punish someone forever for something of this nature.

On the flip side, if I remember, didn't he bet on his own team or something or bet on games he played in? Please correct me if Im wrong because as I mentioned Im hardly an expert. If that is the case, did he let his performance in the game be affected because of the bets?

Blitzburgh55
09-26-2006, 04:35 PM
YES its not like he used steroids

House of Steel
09-26-2006, 04:36 PM
I say, he absolutely deserve to be in there. I will kill if Barry Bonds gets in there and he been using Steroids.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-26-2006, 04:45 PM
There's so many players in every sport that juiced at one time or another. I think fans are most pissed off about Barry right now, then they are about Rose.

AZ_Steeler
09-26-2006, 04:49 PM
On the flip side, if I remember, didn't he bet on his own team or something or bet on games he played in? Please correct me if Im wrong because as I mentioned Im hardly an expert. If that is the case, did he let his performance in the game be affected because of the bets?
I don't know about betting on games he played in, but I do know he did bet on his own team when he was the coach.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-26-2006, 04:52 PM
That being the case, betting on your own team when you're a player or coach wouldnt affect the outcome in a negative manner, if anything it probably gave him more incentive ;)

SteelersfaninPhilly
09-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Yes Pete Rose should be in the hall of fame.

suitanim
09-26-2006, 06:39 PM
I used to think no, but one they let LT in the Pro Football HOF, it's clear that pro sports ain't what it used to be. How could gambling be held in lower esteem than being a cokehead?

Let Charlie Hustle in...