PDA

View Full Version : Tyree's catch gretest play in Super Bowl history?

NOVA STEELERS
02-14-2008, 08:54 AM
Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 6:39 am EST

NFL Films President Steve Sabol, calling David Tyree's catch for the New York Giants the greatest play in Super Bowl history, says his pick before last week would have been John Riggins' 43-yard touchdown run in the Washington Redskins' 27-17 victory over the Miami Dolphins at the Rose Bowl in 1983 according to a report in the Los Angeles Times.

Says Sabol of the fourth-and-one play that put the Redskins ahead to stay, "It's one of the classic shots in the NFL Films library: Riggins, all power and purpose, shaking off the last Miami tackler and thundering down the sideline."

Lynn Swann's amazing circus catch is by far the GREATEST of all time :yellowthumb: :plus1: :cope:

Ambridge
02-14-2008, 09:06 AM
Lynn Swann's amazing circus catch is by far the GREATEST of all time :yellowthumb: :plus1: :cope:

Has Steve Sabol gone Insane??

Tyree's catch was pretty damn good but it doesn't even come close to topping Swann's acrobatic catch in Superbowl X.

Not even remotely close!!

K Train
02-14-2008, 09:43 AM
homers.....that play, not just the catch...the whole play was ****ing awesome and is #1 imo

DIESELMAN
02-14-2008, 10:53 AM
homers.....that play, not just the catch...the whole play was ****ing awesome and is #1 imo
Yeah the whole play was a back breaker to the Patsies. If Tyree doesn't make the catch, game over.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-14-2008, 10:58 AM

It was a great catch there is no doubt, and if he doesn't make it the Giants lose the game..but the greatest ever? What about Riggins run, Marcus Allen's run... John Elway's first down in the red zone for the Broncos to win their first super bowl, Swann's catch, ARE's pass to Hines to seal the win for us in XL, there's many on the list.

Gimme a break, Tyree's catch was great but not the greatest!

DIESELMAN
02-14-2008, 11:22 AM
It was a great catch there is no doubt, and if he doesn't make it the Giants lose the game..but the greatest ever? What about Riggins run, Marcus Allen's run... John Elway's first down in the red zone for the Broncos to win their first super bowl, Swann's catch, ARE's pass to Hines to seal the win for us in XL, there's many on the list.

Gimme a break, Tyree's catch was great but not the greatest!
Theres been so many great SB plays it would be hard to rank them, damn near every teams fan base could make a claim, except for the notable exceptions, the Bungholes, the Shitstains etc....:banana:

Brady Quinn
02-14-2008, 11:42 AM
I have to say I believe it is the greatest play I have seen to date. There have been some great ones but this play was great from the start. The way manning got away from the rush and then the throw and catch. I am with the #1 play!

AZ_Steeler
02-14-2008, 12:36 PM
The catch was good but I wouldn't rank it as the best ever... there have been so many great plays in the past Super Bowls that this might crack the Top 10 but not the Top 5.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Theres been so many great SB plays it would be hard to rank them, damn near every teams fan base could make a claim, except for the notable exceptions, the Bungholes, the shiatstains etc....:banana:

If the Giants had beaten anybody else but the Pat then Sabol isn't making that statement..but the NFL's postchild in Tom Brady didn't win so now they are slobbering all over the Giants.

40+ superbowls, 40+ years of great plays. Every single super bowl has a defining play or series that you can make a case for being one of the greatest of all time so to sit there and say Tyree's catch was the greatest is bogus because IMO there really isn't a 1 greatest ever super bowl play but rather there's a bunch of really great ones.

GoBenGo
02-14-2008, 01:09 PM
fwp's 75 yard td run was pretty awesome , too...

RW318
02-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Larry Browns plays were pretty awesome too lol.

yinzer
02-14-2008, 08:42 PM
steve sabol has alzheimer's

BlitzburghRockCity
02-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Larry Browns plays were pretty awesome too lol.

Hey, who asked you ;)

that still chaps my hide something awful knowing how close we came to winning that game.

yinzer
02-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Hey, who asked you ;)

that still chaps my hide something awful knowing how close we came to winning that game.

Who is Larry Brown? :bluelol::bluelol:

Ambridge
02-14-2008, 10:16 PM
http://web.wireimage.com/images/Thumbnail/7182900.jpg

I prefer All-Time Steeler Great TE/OT Larry Brown who caught a 4yd TD pass in Superbowl IX.
:greengrin:

V_83
02-14-2008, 10:40 PM

I feel the same way. It was basically two great plays in one, with Manning breaking free and scrambling plus Tyree's circus catch. The others have just been one person making a great play.:2cents:

JoeThomas
02-14-2008, 11:29 PM
id say top 5 but its so hard to rank them and the importance. if it was a td catch id say it might be. but its up there.