PDA

View Full Version : WHY ROY GERELA?

swissvale72
02-14-2008, 07:28 AM
WHY ROY GERELA?
By Swissvale72

This would be my question for Bob “Plague” (not his real nickname; I’m making that up) Bubanic of Port Vue. The 70-year-old (if he’s still “kickin’”…no pun intended) retired supervisor from the Allegheny County Greenhouse in South Park, was the Gorilla, long-remembered in his Upper North End Zone perch, with his cronies at Three Rivers Stadium. Greenhouse? So the “Gorilla” grew supervised the growing of daisies, tulips and rudebagas for a living?

But “Why Roy Gerela?” The scant bit of research that I’ve conducted for this latest installment of “Frivolous Bullshit” has already rendered my hypothesis useless. You see, Roy Gerela, to me, was the lone unlikable Steeler from the dynastic seventies. Besides living next door to my brother Tony for years, and never uttering a word, one simply could never count on Gerela to make a kick. He’s most oft-remembered for having his head patted by Cliff Harris following a miss, whereupon Jack Lambert tossed Harris’s sorry *** to the ground, avoided ejection, and unleashed the energy that propelled the Steelers to victory in Super Bowl X.

My theory was that Mr. Bubanic happened to have a Gorilla suit on hand, and was itching to wear it to a Steeler game. We wonder if he also had a “Guerilla” suit, perhaps a likeness of Che Guevara. However, my scholarly efforts have yielded the knowledge that Mr. Bubanic and his entourage first rented the monkey suit for $60, then conducted a raffle and purchased the costume for $250. My research did not uncover the particular items that the group raffled off. Interestingly, Mr. Bubanic’s Port Vue neighbor, Thaddeus Majzer, now 77 (if he’s still around) was the founder of Dobre Shunka (“Good Ham”) properly honoring the Steelers Hall of Fame linebacker. As recently as 2004, Mr. Majzer still held season tickets, having done so since the Steelers Forbes Field days.

By the way, I ran into the Gorilla right after the Immaculate Reception game. He was parked in the Chatham Center Garage, why the hell over by the Civic Arena, long-*** hike from Three Rivers. The Gorilla got in his car, drove off still Gorilla-headed. True story!!

Again, “Why Roy Gerela?” My research, in the form of the Pittsburgh Steelers Media Guide, 1979 edition, has revealed to Roy Gerela to suck even worse than I had remembered. Usually, one’s faded memories tend to be exaggerated. Not in this case; Gerela was terrible!. I have no idea if anyone picked him up after he was cut by the Super Bowl champions in favor of rookie Matt Bahr prior to the 1979 campaign, nor do I much career. His 10 year record from 1969-1978 however, indicates the following record on FG attempts:
20-29 yards….59 of 74
30-39 yards….50 of 86
40-49 yards….30 of 79
Over 50 yards..ONE of 14 (and the one, a 50-yarder, was his rookie year with the Houston Oilers)

Gerela missed 13 regular-season extra points during this skein. He was, of course, perfect on PATs during his two years in Houston, missing all 13 during his 8 years in Pittsburgh.

Playoffs? Gerela was even worse. To wit:
*Extra points….he missed 6 of 42 attempts. Thankfully, 5 of his 6 misses came during Super Bowl campaigns.
*He was 3 of 6 from 30-39 yards
*He was ONE of six from 40-49 yards
*He was 0 for 2 from 50+

I will credit Gerela with making the tackle on the opening kickoff (a reverse to Thomas “Hollywood” Henderson) during SB XIII, thereby injuring his ribs, missing two later FGs prior to donning a corset (he & Kiera Knightly) and making two 4Q attempts (from 36 & 18 yards) subsequent to the Harris head tap. Oh, just to ensure his legacy though, he missed the Steelers’ final PAT after the Bradshaw bomb to Swannie.

So…the question remains, “Why Roy Gerela?” And why do I raise the issue three decades later. I’m unable to answer the former; I can answer the latter however. It seems as though Steel Fury’s own SteelerQT, nee “The Irrepressible Still it” of the site across the street, the Donora Dynamo, is serving as a conduit, a liaison to bring Roy Gerela to the Starter’s Gate, a Steelers’ haunt in Southern California. By so doing, she’ll help InkEdSports peddle their wares. We remember InkEdSports, the outfit screwed out of a banner ad by Stillers.com after supplying that site with complementary autographed Steeler pics to be used as Trivia Prizes.

Anyway, Gerela, now residing in New Mexico where he went to college, will be flown out to the Golden State for the event. Gerela’s life journey is worth noting. He’s a Canuck by birth (what is it with Canadian kickers, Gerela…Vanderjagt…), then went to high school in Hawaii, where we assume he plied his trade kicking coconuts and pineapples. I’m thinking that the Sunny Californians will turn out en masse for this event, pockets stuffed with boxes of raisins and fresh avocado, soccer-playing sons in tow, all knowing that they can outkick this stiff.

My advice, QT…..if you’re listening. Forget the kicker. Bring in the Gorilla. Bob Bubanic for your event!! Then ask….”Why Roy Gerela?”

Sources:
Pittsburgh Steelers Media Guide: 1979

Dvorchak, Robert,“In the ‘70s, New Coach, Great Draft, Turned Pittsburgh into City of Champion,” Pittsburgh Post Gazette; October 7, 2007

Vargo, Norm, “Glory Days of Steelermania are Fond Memories for Fans” Pittsburgh Post Gazette; January 19, 2005

dick rasile
02-16-2008, 11:16 AM
WHY ROY GERELA?
By Swissvale72

This would be my question for Bob “Plague” (not his real nickname; I’m making that up) Bubanic of Port Vue. The 70-year-old (if he’s still “kickin’”…no pun intended) retired supervisor from the Allegheny County Greenhouse in South Park, was the Gorilla, long-remembered in his Upper North End Zone perch, with his cronies at Three Rivers Stadium. Greenhouse? So the “Gorilla” grew supervised the growing of daisies, tulips and rudebagas for a living?

But “Why Roy Gerela?” The scant bit of research that I’ve conducted for this latest installment of “Frivolous Bullshiat” has already rendered my hypothesis useless. You see, Roy Gerela, to me, was the lone unlikable Steeler from the dynastic seventies. Besides living next door to my brother Tony for years, and never uttering a word, one simply could never count on Gerela to make a kick. He’s most oft-remembered for having his head patted by Cliff Harris following a miss, whereupon Jack Lambert tossed Harris’s sorry *** to the ground, avoided ejection, and unleashed the energy that propelled the Steelers to victory in Super Bowl X.

My theory was that Mr. Bubanic happened to have a Gorilla suit on hand, and was itching to wear it to a Steeler game. We wonder if he also had a “Guerilla” suit, perhaps a likeness of Che Guevara. However, my scholarly efforts have yielded the knowledge that Mr. Bubanic and his entourage first rented the monkey suit for $60, then conducted a raffle and purchased the costume for $250. My research did not uncover the particular items that the group raffled off. Interestingly, Mr. Bubanic’s Port Vue neighbor, Thaddeus Majzer, now 77 (if he’s still around) was the founder of Dobre Shunka (“Good Ham”) properly honoring the Steelers Hall of Fame linebacker. As recently as 2004, Mr. Majzer still held season tickets, having done so since the Steelers Forbes Field days.

By the way, I ran into the Gorilla right after the Immaculate Reception game. He was parked in the Chatham Center Garage, why the hell over by the Civic Arena, long-*** hike from Three Rivers. The Gorilla got in his car, drove off still Gorilla-headed. True story!!

Again, “Why Roy Gerela?” My research, in the form of the Pittsburgh Steelers Media Guide, 1979 edition, has revealed to Roy Gerela to suck even worse than I had remembered. Usually, one’s faded memories tend to be exaggerated. Not in this case; Gerela was terrible!. I have no idea if anyone picked him up after he was cut by the Super Bowl champions in favor of rookie Matt Bahr prior to the 1979 campaign, nor do I much career. His 10 year record from 1969-1978 however, indicates the following record on FG attempts:
20-29 yards….59 of 74
30-39 yards….50 of 86
40-49 yards….30 of 79
Over 50 yards..ONE of 14 (and the one, a 50-yarder, was his rookie year with the Houston Oilers)

Gerela missed 13 regular-season extra points during this skein. He was, of course, perfect on PATs during his two years in Houston, missing all 13 during his 8 years in Pittsburgh.

Playoffs? Gerela was even worse. To wit:
*Extra points….he missed 6 of 42 attempts. Thankfully, 5 of his 6 misses came during Super Bowl campaigns.
*He was 3 of 6 from 30-39 yards
*He was ONE of six from 40-49 yards
*He was 0 for 2 from 50+

I will credit Gerela with making the tackle on the opening kickoff (a reverse to Thomas “Hollywood” Henderson) during SB XIII, thereby injuring his ribs, missing two later FGs prior to donning a corset (he & Kiera Knightly) and making two 4Q attempts (from 36 & 18 yards) subsequent to the Harris head tap. Oh, just to ensure his legacy though, he missed the Steelers’ final PAT after the Bradshaw bomb to Swannie.

So…the question remains, “Why Roy Gerela?” And why do I raise the issue three decades later. I’m unable to answer the former; I can answer the latter however. It seems as though Steel Fury’s own SteelerQT, nee “The Irrepressible Still it” of the site across the street, the Donora Dynamo, is serving as a conduit, a liaison to bring Roy Gerela to the Starter’s Gate, a Steelers’ haunt in Southern California. By so doing, she’ll help InkEdSports peddle their wares. We remember InkEdSports, the outfit screwed out of a banner ad by Stillers.com after supplying that site with complementary autographed Steeler pics to be used as Trivia Prizes.

Anyway, Gerela, now residing in New Mexico where he went to college, will be flown out to the Golden State for the event. Gerela’s life journey is worth noting. He’s a Canuck by birth (what is it with Canadian kickers, Gerela…Vanderjagt…), then went to high school in Hawaii, where we assume he plied his trade kicking coconuts and pineapples. I’m thinking that the Sunny Californians will turn out en masse for this event, pockets stuffed with boxes of raisins and fresh avocado, soccer-playing sons in tow, all knowing that they can outkick this stiff.

My advice, QT…..if you’re listening. Forget the kicker. Bring in the Gorilla. Bob Bubanic for your event!! Then ask….”Why Roy Gerela?”

Sources:
Pittsburgh Steelers Media Guide: 1979

Dvorchak, Robert,“In the ‘70s, New Coach, Great Draft, Turned Pittsburgh into City of Champion,” Pittsburgh Post Gazette; October 7, 2007

Vargo, Norm, “Glory Days of Steelermania are Fond Memories for Fans” Pittsburgh Post Gazette; January 19, 2005
Personally I hate kickers, big time and small time. At my hometown College they have a kicker who has a string of PATs so long that no one even bothers mentioning it. I guess it's because they score so many points that a kicker isn't a factor in their game.
This job belongs to a football player not some middleweight from some other sport.

sixbeamers
01-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Swissvale72,
What's the deal with Gerela?

Stlrs4Life
02-23-2009, 10:19 PM
So true about Roy, I kinda felt sorry for him.