PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with J.Smith

Captcoolhand
02-11-2008, 07:08 PM
I've always liked Justin Smith as a player, and apparently, so does Dick LeBeau (http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/bengals/2008/02/10/ddn021108bigconweb.html), who has been on the record saying that he thought Smith would be better utilized in a 3-4 scheme. According to the same source, the Steelers may also be interested in Bengals safety Madieu Williams. A Steelers scout lavished him with high praise prior to the 2004 draft, and apparently (lots of apparentlys, I know), the interest in his talent still remains. what the deal with this guy, I've been reading alot about us maybe trying to make a move for him.
I thought he was good and still could be but is he overpaid or just played last season in hopes to get the hell out of Cincy?

K Train
02-11-2008, 07:13 PM
hes very powerful and great in pursuit...but hes right, he doesnt have the skill set to play in the 43 as a speed rusher, hes that guy that almost gets there but not quite in a 43

Black@Gold Forever32
02-11-2008, 07:16 PM
what the deal with this guy, I've been reading alot about us maybe trying to make a move for him.
I thought he was good and still could be but is he overpaid or just played last season in hopes to get the hell out of Cincy?

I wouldn't mind the Steelers going after Justin Smith....But I bet he would be to expensive for the Steelers......He would be better then the current backup DL and he would bump Keisel to being the top backup at DE and situational pass rusher which he is better suited for anyway....

As for Williams....I like the guy and he would provide depth for the Steelers at safety.....Troy has missed a ton of games and Ryan Clark was injured this past year also....Carter is getting older.....So I wouldn't mind the Steelers maybe taking a look at both of these guys...

K Train
02-11-2008, 07:18 PM
i actually like the idea of these bengal scumbags on the team lol...justin smith would be badass across from smith

Black@Gold Forever32
02-11-2008, 07:25 PM
i actually like the idea of these bengal scumbags on the team lol...justin smith would be badass across from smith

J. Smith and Williams would provide nice depth for the Steelers....I'm just thinking Smith will be out of the Steelers price range....I think they could have a shot at Williams....

Maybe Smith will take a discount to actually play for a good organization like the Steelers.....I doubt it though....

Captcoolhand
02-11-2008, 07:33 PM
I think this guy will be a major threat in the 3-4 as a pass rusher and think that if he was playing on the team that would see him for his greatness on D and not on his own, he would bring back more to the table and show everyone that hewas worth every penny.:2cents:
The problem i do see is the Cash he is going to want and will the Rooney's pay it

BlitzburghRockCity
02-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Both of them would be great additions IMO; Justin Smith has been about the only bright spot on the Bengal defense ever since they drafted him. He would definitely be a big step in suring up the DL and would push Keisel in a great battle for that starting spot but yeah he's going to be way too expensive I think also.

Williams is a guy who I wouldn't mind having either, I think we could probably get him for a reasonable amount, that would make for one helluva training camp and preseason battle to see who would come out on top.

Dee Mca
02-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Smith and Keisel are making what 4 or 5 mill per year. Would you want to pay one of them that much thou to be a pass rusher or a situtional(sp) player? I know Justin is a beast but I don't see the Steelers going after him without cutting one of our starters now.

Captcoolhand
02-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Both of them would be great additions IMO; Justin Smith has been about the only bright spot on the Bengal defense ever since they drafted him. He would definitely be a big step in suring up the DL and would push Keisel in a great battle for that starting spot but yeah he's going to be way too expensive I think also.

Williams is a guy who I wouldn't mind having either, I think we could probably get him for a reasonable amount, that would make for one helluva training camp and preseason battle to see who would come out on top.
there's no push justin would be keisal out

Black@Gold Forever32
02-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Smith and Keisel are making what 4 or 5 mill per year. Would you want to pay one of them that much thou to be a pass rusher or a situtional(sp) player? I know Justin is a beast but I don't see the Steelers going after him without cutting one of our starters now.

Remember that the Steelers did rotate DL even when Cowher was here and this past year with Tomlin they rotated the DL even more.....Plus Aaron Smith is getting up there and is coming off an injury....Depth is a must....I still think Justin Smith is out of the price range of the Steelers....But still its something to think about with adding a vet like Justin Smith to the team....

K Train
02-11-2008, 11:28 PM
i think if lebeau wants him we'll get him, the dline struggled this year and everyone knows it...you need a solid dline in a 34. dlineman dont come cheap ever, but watch tomlin get more involved over the next few years and bring a badass FA in and blow our minds lol

Black@Gold Forever32
02-11-2008, 11:41 PM
i think if lebeau wants him we'll get him, the dline struggled this year and everyone knows it...you need a solid dline in a 34. dlineman dont come cheap ever, but watch tomlin get more involved over the next few years and bring a badass FA in and blow our minds lol

Yep a solid DL is a big key for the 3-4 defense......Smith is a proven vet so it would be better to go after him then going after and unproven young DL through the draft....I'm willing to trust LeBeau in thinking Smith is a very good fit for the 3-4 and I hope he can swing it for the Rooney's so sign him....:tt02::tt02::tt02:

DIESELMAN
02-11-2008, 11:55 PM
watch tomlin get more involved over the next few years and bring a badass FA in and blow our minds lol
That's what I'm waitin on, plus take over the draft and leave Colbert bringing coffee to the draft war room lol

K Train
02-12-2008, 12:02 AM
bengal fans are worrying about this lol, smith would kill the bengals if he was on our dline lol...and it would be cool to have 3 smiths on defense

TEEMONT
02-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Did LeBeau draft Smith?

K Train
02-12-2008, 12:03 AM
Did LeBeau draft Smith?

good point, i dont think so but he very well could have been there

TEEMONT
02-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Just checked it out, his first season was '01, and LeBeau was ther from 00-02.

So Lebeau def drafted him. Marvin can thank him for that.

K Train
02-12-2008, 12:11 AM
so this might actually happen...its weird thinking about a big name FA coming in lol, but that would be great cause hes a proven guy and we wont have to draft a guy and count on him right away

BlitzburghRockCity
02-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Remember that the Steelers did rotate DL even when Cowher was here and this past year with Tomlin they rotated the DL even more.....Plus Aaron Smith is getting up there and is coming off an injury....Depth is a must....I still think Justin Smith is out of the price range of the Steelers....But still its something to think about with adding a vet like Justin Smith to the team....

Yeah I think he is out of our price range too but we've got the money to spend I just wish they'd pull the trigger and do it. We need to rotate DL; we've done it in the past and we need to continue to do it so guys stay fresh. When you don't rotate guys enough then when you need that big stop at the end of the game to seal the win your line is worn out and gets blown off the ball. You've got to have big time backups on the DL. If Smith and Hoke were the primary backups then we could afford to gamble on a draft pick a bit more instead of it being such a need right now.

K Train
02-12-2008, 12:14 AM
lets just go ahead andd get haynesworth and smith and have the most badass dline ever

TEEMONT
02-12-2008, 12:17 AM
lets just go ahead andd get haynesworth and smith and have the most badass dline ever

if we did that...i would call our D one of the top ten ever.

Just think of this.

LE: Aaron Smith
NT: Big Hamp (Haynesworth)
RE: Justin Smith
ROLB: Harrison
LOLB: Woodley
MLB: Farrior
MLB: Timmons or Foote
CB: McFadden
CB: Taylor
FS: A. Smith (yes I guarantee he will be starting)
SS: Troy (please come back hard Troy)

K Train
02-12-2008, 12:21 AM
honestly having haynesworth at DE with casey in the middle and smith on the other end with justin smith rotating in would be the most dominating dline ever to play, then with our linebackers being so good we would get to the QB so much and then our secondary would be so good troy would make the probowl on stats and not hair.....lol it would crush the opposition

TEEMONT
02-12-2008, 12:29 AM
honestly having haynesworth at DE with casey in the middle and smith on the other end with justin smith rotating in would be the most dominating dline ever to play, then with our linebackers being so good we would get to the QB so much and then our secondary would be so good troy would make the probowl on stats and not hair.....lol it would crush the opposition

No joke...the team would be fixed instantly. We could spend our picks on the O side of the ball, maybe grabbing a MLB that will step up for Farrior in a year or two.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-12-2008, 12:49 AM
Ok Justin Smith I give a 30 percent chance the Steelers sign him.....Haynesworth I give 5 percent....lol

K Train
02-12-2008, 12:52 AM
lol haynesworth with get tagged...im daydreaming leave me alone :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-12-2008, 12:56 AM
lol haynesworth with get tagged...im daydreaming leave me alone :lol:

:lol:.......Haynesworth would be nice....lol

BlitzburghRockCity
02-12-2008, 01:18 AM
if we did that...i would call our D one of the top ten ever.

Just think of this.

LE: Aaron Smith
NT: Big Hamp (Haynesworth)
RE: Justin Smith
ROLB: Harrison
LOLB: Woodley
MLB: Farrior
MLB: Timmons or Foote
CB: McFadden
CB: Taylor
FS: A. Smith (yes I guarantee he will be starting)
SS: Troy (please come back hard Troy)

Dude, that would as bad *** of a defense as you could possibly ask for in this day and age, I think we would all be drooling if that dream ever came true :greengrin: You add in Keisel and Hoke as the primary backups and oh man no matter who was in there they would be causing all kinds of problems for the offense.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-12-2008, 01:22 AM
Seriously I would streak naked if the Steelers just signed Justin Smith...lol

Signing a vet DL that is good would save the Steelers from using a high draft pick on a DL.....

Ambridge
02-12-2008, 10:06 AM
I wouldn't get too excited.
The Bengals slapped the Franchise Tag on Smith last year and it's being rumored that they might use the Franchise Tag on him again.

DIESELMAN
02-12-2008, 10:31 AM
I've been reading that since Smith got tagged last year, it would cost the Bungholes around 10 mil to tag him this year.

Steel58
02-12-2008, 10:37 AM
The Steelers need to bring in Smith, if you watch him play he's always in the backfield or putting pressure on the quarterback. Bring him to the Burgh!!!

Captcoolhand
02-12-2008, 12:02 PM
If Cincy lost Smith their D-line wouldn't be ****. they would surely be the worst run defence in the League. Not like they're not already....lol

K Train
02-12-2008, 12:26 PM
if your gonna tag a player twice you might as well just pay him

SteelerFan87
02-12-2008, 03:47 PM
How old is he? If we sign him, would he be good for a few years? Bring him in, and have him start opposite Aaron Smith, and then you could go to some 4 man lines with Keisel too which would give us alot of versatility. And then when Aaron Smith retires we can move Justin Smith or Keisel over there plus we'll have plenty of time to draft a young DE for the future.

I think we should sign him. He shouldn't be out of our price range. We're what, $20 million under the cap? We still have to resign Ben, but that should still leave us with plenty of room to go after Smith.

Captcoolhand
02-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Tagging Justin Smith would cost the Bengals $10.372 million, writes Mark Curnutte. Why such an increase? Because last season Smith was paid $8.644 million and franchising a player means you either pay the average of the top-five salaries at that position or an increase of 120% from the pervious season's salary -- whichever is greater.
Take $8.644 million and multiply by 120% and you get $10.372 million. Take into consideration that the league's salary cap is rising to $116 million and that's 8% of your payroll going to one a guy that recorded only two sacks in 2007. That's highway robbery.
Additionally, by tagging Smith and if you figure that the Bengals trade Chad Johnson, that would cost the team $18.4 million. That jumps to 15.9% of your salary cap for only two players -- one that won't even be playing for the team. Therefore, you have to wonder, if the Bengals are entertaining trade options for Johnson, would that prevent the team from tagging Smith?
Hell ya but Smith is 28 and 29 in Sept. so what kind of contract could we offer him and would it be worth it...is he really on the down side of his career, time will tell.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-13-2008, 07:14 AM
We could probably get smith for a bit less than that especially if he actually wants out of Cincy and wants to go to a championship caliber team. I know one thing the Rooney's would never pay anywhere near 10 mill per season for a guy in late 20's in FA. It's hard enough getting them to spend money on draft picks let alone a top tier FA. I'd like to see him come here though because he's got about another 3-4 years left in him based on his age.

portcityblackandgold
02-13-2008, 07:47 AM
J Smith and and Zero OhNo want out of Bungleland. That floundering ship looks as if it going down fast.

NOVA STEELERS
02-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Bengals DE Smith could get huge raise
In the case of Bengals defensive end Justin Smith, who was designated the team's franchise player in 2007, he would be more expensive. He was paid an $8.644 million, one-year tender in 2007. If the Bengals were to use the franchise player designation again on Smith - which would limit his mobility in free agency - they would have to pay him 120 percent of his 2007 tender. Smith would get a $10.372 million tender in 2009. -- Cincinnati Enquirer

Found this on CBSSportsline.com

manofsteel
02-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Too much money just for depth. ALthough I agree he might push Keisel out. I like Diesel I thought he was a sure answer for Kimo and he is doing a pretty solid job. But with these new exotic Blitzes a guy like Smith might be a better play

K Train
02-13-2008, 01:27 PM
he would without question take keisels spot and we could possibly trade keisel or keep him for our 43 looks

Stlrs4Life
02-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Keep in mind that all of this came from a Dayton Newspaer Sports writer. It doesn't say one word coming from the Steelers offices. I'm sure Dick looks around the entire NFL watching players that he would like to have.