PDA

View Full Version : Franchise Tag Faneca

NOVA STEELERS
02-10-2008, 10:45 PM
PITTSBURGH — If the Steelers want to really play hard ball with Alan Faneca, they could keep him for at least one more year by slapping the “franchise player” tag on him.

Kevin Colbert, the Steelers’ director of football operations, said Monday that franchising Faneca, the seven-time Pro Bowl guard who’s eligible for unrestricted free agency, isn’t probable. But it’s nonetheless an option the Steelers can exercise if they chose to do so.

“The franchise tag is always at our disposal,” Colbert said. “Traditionally, we do not use the franchise tag, because, as an organization, we want to have players that want to be part of our organization. But we will never say we’ll never use the franchise tag because it’s a collective bargaining tool that’s at our disposal.”

All NFL teams are allowed to designate one franchise player.

An “exclusive” franchise player, who would not be free to sign with another team, is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries at that player's position, or 120 percent of the player’s previous year's salary, whichever is greater.

This past season, Faneca’s base salary was only $4.375 million, a $1 million roster bonus included.

If the Steelers would tag Faneca as a franchise player, he would receive a one-year contract worth roughly $9 million. Last year’s franchise tag salary for an offensive lineman was $9.5 million.

I am trying to think when the last time the STEELERS used the franchise tag on a player, was it Gildon :scratch: :dunno: If they are unsure about being able to replace him, they should go this route :2cents:

K Train
02-10-2008, 10:48 PM
why **** off a player who got *** raped all year long? that will really motivate him

Koopa
02-10-2008, 10:49 PM
**** that, the dude is not worth 9 million dollars for one year of service, lets just let him walk and rebuild, we ain't going to win the superbowl next year anyway, might as well bring in some young talent through the draft and get them playing time next year

K Train
02-10-2008, 10:50 PM
letting faneca walk is a step forward, not a step towards rebuilding....and yes were gonna win the superbowl next year lol

TEEMONT
02-10-2008, 10:54 PM
i hat eto say it, but slappin the tag, isnt going to help us at all. Let him walk if he doesnt wanna be here.

DIESELMAN
02-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Like Train, Koop and TEE already said....**** that!! Yeah he's a professional but slapping the franchise tag on him would probably turn him into a cancer in the locker room. Let him walk if they can't come to a reasonable agreement.

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Yeah, I see nothing that says he wants to be here. Let him walk if he wants.

K Train
02-10-2008, 11:18 PM
players shouldnt get pissy about tags...thats an assload of money lol

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 11:37 PM

Not to mention the Steelers are 20 mil under the cap. But Faneca is coming on the edge of the back half of his carrier. He's worth the 9 mil over time.

V_83
02-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Faneca is a perpennial Pro-Bowler, however if he does not want to come back, franchising him will only hurt the team in the long run. We should let him go and get some new young blood in the draft.

K Train
02-10-2008, 11:49 PM
pro bowler doesnt mean ****....not ****, he will make the probowl until he retires cause he used to be good...

TEEMONT
02-10-2008, 11:50 PM

I see what your saying, but put urself in his shoes...he plays one year for 9 million, and gets hurt, and doesnt make a dime the rest of his career. Every player of Faneca's caliber wants the 5 year 42 million with 20 million guaranteed.

Last I checked 20 mil > 9 million. I know its hard to say, since none of us even know what 1 million looks like, but I could get ****** about being out 11 mil.

K Train
02-10-2008, 11:57 PM
hes not a poor man though, he was a first round pick and weve paid him well since hes been here. unless someone offers him that extemely lucrative deal he wants...which someone might, or they might be a little more hesistant to looking at recent players thats happened to...like joey porter.

imo he should either take a pay cut and finish his career here or not bitch about being tagged. i think we shouldve traded him last year to move up and get gaines adams and i wont be mad if he walks but hes being a bitch and hes not worth top guard money

TEEMONT
02-11-2008, 12:09 AM
hes not a poor man though, he was a first round pick and weve paid him well since hes been here. unless someone offers him that extemely lucrative deal he wants...which someone might, or they might be a little more hesistant to looking at recent players thats happened to...like joey porter.

imo he should either take a pay cut and finish his career here or not bitch about being tagged. i think we shouldve traded him last year to move up and get gaines adams and i wont be mad if he walks but hes being a bitch and hes not worth top guard money

I dont really think he is worth 9 mil either, which kills me to say. I would actually be mad if they signed him to anything more than a 3 year deal.

Dee Mca
02-11-2008, 12:11 AM
Giving 9 mill to Faneca for next year and whatever the amount is that we should not be giving to Manah we could probably get 3 linemen for the same price. please let him go if thats what he wants to do. We already have to deal with Mahan. Don't want to have to deal with a P.O.'d Faneca as well.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-11-2008, 01:12 AM
Players hate getting tagged, it's like playing russian roulette for the exact reason that Tee mentioned. Yeah you get a big fat paycheck for 1 year but then after that it's no guarantee you're going to get as big of a contract as you would have gotten this year based on your recent resume. The Steelers rarely use the tag and they won't use it on Alan; they've never been afraid to let a player go who either didn't want to be here or just wanted too much money no matter what his name is. Red is a best, one of the best Guards in the league and one of the best Steeler players of all time; business is business and the team isn't going to give him that much money anymore.

steelunderground
02-11-2008, 02:48 AM
We already saw how faneca played this year, his attitude obviously affected his play, even if he didnt want it to. the offensive line is the most important unit on the field, we cant afford to start guys (even beloved superstars) there when they are disgruntled. Personally, i think if Rus grimm were still around losing faneca would be no big deal, I mean we led the league in rushing the year after Dermonti Dawson retired. all that aside, trying to pay faneca now shouldnt even be an issue

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-11-2008, 06:51 AM
Why are we even talking about this? Alan Faneca's career in black and gold is over. Time to move on.

SteelerFan87
02-11-2008, 02:33 PM
I like how people assume Faneca doesn't want to come back. I think he would love to come back, if the Rooneys offered him a contract that would pay him like one of the top guards in the league, which he definitely was and probably still is. Faneca has played his *** off and given the Steelers 110% throughout his career here. Just because the man wants to be paid the way people who aren't even as good as him are being paid doesn't make him a bitch who we should want to run out of town. I wish we could give Faneca what he wants, but thanks to a bunch of retards giving out huge contracts to ****** Guards, it's just too much money.

I mean, if you saw some guy at your job who you knew you were better than get a huge raise, wouldn't you want a huge raise too?

As for the Franchise Tag, that would just be stupid. While I don't think his dissatisfaction with the contract situation affected his play last year, it would be stupid to keep pissing the guy off. That accomplishes nothing and just leads to bad morale in the locker room. Let Faneca go get paid, and get his replacement ready ASAP.

Prosdo
02-11-2008, 03:01 PM
The thing is Faneca is near the end of his career. The Steelers aren't going to throw a boat load of money at him. To be honest I don't think they should. His play is on the decline and he made the pro bowl purely on what he has done in the past not this season. It's time to look at the future without Faneca. He isn't worth a $9 million dollar franchise tag.

DIESELMAN
02-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Faneca could become a non-exclusive franchise player.

If the player is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries of last season at his position, he becomes a "non-exclusive" franchise player and can negotiate with other clubs. His old club can match a new club's offer or receive two first-round draft choices if it decides not to match.The top 5 salaries for an OL for 2008:

Jones, Walter OL $8,600,000
Anderson, Willie OL $7,600,000
Pace, Orlando OL $7,075,000
Adams, Flozell OL $7,000,000
Johnson, Al OL $7,000,000

Koopa
02-11-2008, 05:14 PM
i doubt he's worth two first round draft picks to any other team so no one would offer him that much if he was a non exclusive franchise player

K Train
02-11-2008, 06:44 PM
those are tackles....steve hutchinson and eric steinbeck got out of this world deals for guards

DIESELMAN
02-11-2008, 06:58 PM
those are tackles....steve hutchinson and eric steinbeck got out of this world deals for guards

From where I was looking this up, theres no distinction between G's and T's, they're grouped in as OL.

GoBenGo
02-11-2008, 07:58 PM
can't get behind that...he played like he was on his way out this year anyway...can't imagine if you forced him to play...might really turn the suck up then...let him fade into anonimity...he has only a couple of good years left if any...time to change the guard...good riddens

yinzer
02-11-2008, 09:19 PM
why **** off a player who got *** raped all year long? that will really motivate him

exactly. he would come back next season and screw the pants right off of the organization. he would purposely miss more blocks than he did last season... if that's possible.

BlackGold4vr
02-11-2008, 09:50 PM
can't get behind that...he played like he was on his way out this year anyway...can't imagine if you forced him to play...might really turn the suck up then...let him fade into anonimity...he has only a couple of good years left if any...time to change the guard...good riddens

1. Colon/Kemoeatu/Simmons to C
2. Marvel to RT
3. Williams/Clady/Nicks to LT
4. Branden Albert/Chris Kemoeatu to LG
5. Colon/Kemoeatu/Simmons alternative to RG

Mahan to the laundry room to launder the jock straps :lol:

Potential picks in this years draft.

TEEMONT
02-11-2008, 09:53 PM
exactly. he would come back next season and screw the pants right off of the organization. he would purposely miss more blocks than he did last season... if that's possible.

no one purposely missed blocks...don't be a conspiracy theorist.

yinzer
02-11-2008, 09:56 PM
no one purposely missed blocks...don't be a conspiracy theorist.

don't take it so literally. i posted that because faneca played less than inspired football this season. his days of wearing black and gold SHOULD be over.

manofsteel
02-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Dont like the idea of tagging Faneca. I agree we can build a line. We are very good at getting talent cheap. We always were. Now Im not so sure in this day in age if that still works. I lobby to trade up for Jeff Otah from PITT. It would never happen but I like to entertain the thought

GoBenGo
02-13-2008, 02:13 PM
1. Colon/Kemoeatu/Simmons to C
2. Marvel to RT
3. Williams/Clady/Nicks to LT
4. Branden Albert/Chris Kemoeatu to LG
5. Colon/Kemoeatu/Simmons alternative to RG

Mahan to the laundry room to launder the jock straps :lol:

Potential picks in this years draft.
least we know the laundry would not have any holes

K Train
02-13-2008, 02:24 PM
least we know the laundry would not have any holes

that was poetry lol

BlitzburghRockCity
02-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Why would Faneca play unspired football or purposefully miss blocks..that's just not even remotely close to being true. If anything he would have been playing harder than ever because he knew he is auditioning for other teams to get a big pay day. It's hard to block when you're beside a turnstyle like Mahan and musical LT's all year long. Alan may not be perfect and he may or not be worth the money he's going to get but to say he was tanking plays or games is ridiculous IMO.

yinzer
02-13-2008, 09:02 PM
again, ladies and gentleman, don't take it so literally. i don't really feel he missed blocks on purpose. maybe i should have put a "lol" after my post so everyone would KNOW i was kidding. but, in my opinion, which the last time i checked we were allowed to post opinions, faneca played uninspired.

K Train
02-13-2008, 09:07 PM
uninspired....well put

GoBenGo
02-13-2008, 10:24 PM
again, ladies and gentleman, don't take it so literally. i don't really feel he missed blocks on purpose. maybe i should have put a "lol" after my post so everyone would KNOW i was kidding. but, in my opinion, which the last time i checked we were allowed to post opinions, faneca played uninspired.
good point yinz...:iagree:i don't believe he tanked...find it hard to believe any player at that level would...BUT we saw the season, his heart was not in it..not 100%..not like Ben..Heath...it showed...itshowed alot since the guy next to him naturally stunk...

how many like opinions make a fact

BlitzburghRockCity
02-13-2008, 10:30 PM
uninspired....well put

:blah: :lol:

Alan did seem a bit distracted at times this year but how much of that was him tired of getting pumbled by poor blocking to his left and right and how much was his contract is anybody's guess but either way I'll take Faneca of 95% of the guards in the NFL today.

GoBenGo
02-13-2008, 11:25 PM
95% efforts on his part were rare this year...and i don't dislike the dude..it was what it was...a very talented player ,playing for a team he knew he had no future with...especially once the playoff outlook dimmed...I know you defend Fanny pretty strongly, Top, and it is well deserved..in prior years..the seasons that wrote his resume to make his million dollar exodus..this year it was cruise control..or maybe bruise control...
he's not kin is he?...lol

yinzer
02-14-2008, 08:51 PM
:blah: :lol:

Alan did seem a bit distracted at times this year but how much of that was him tired of getting pumbled by poor blocking to his left and right and how much was his contract is anybody's guess but either way I'll take Faneca of 95% of the guards in the NFL today.

mahan did stink BIG TIME.

Stlrs4Life
02-14-2008, 10:15 PM
i hat eto say it, but slappin the tag, isnt going to help us at all. Let him walk if he doesnt wanna be here.

Exactly, necxt year comes along, the price will be even bigger. We have lost bigger named players here before and we survived. We will survive again without Faneca.