PDA

View Full Version : Expect contract talks to begin this week with Big Ben

BlitzburghRockCity
02-10-2008, 12:29 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08041/856318-66.stm

Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Steelers this week will open contract talks with some of their players who can become unrestricted free agents and one who cannot -- quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger has two years left on the contract he signed as a rookie in 2004, but both sides have expressed a desire to reach a contract extension this year.

Getting a contract extension and getting one quickly was one of three wishes Roethlisberger said he had for the offseason during a Jan. 15 interview.

"I'm eager, anxious, because I want to get it done with. I want to say let's go, let's get it over with so the talks can stop, people can stop bugging me about it," he said. "Because I just want to play football.''

His other two desires were to keep guard Alan Faneca from leaving as a free agent and to find a tall wide receiver. Finding a tall, talented wide receiver would be difficult enough, but keeping Faneca is seen as near impossible. Nevertheless, the Steelers plan to make at least one more phone call to Faneca's agent.

They also may make a pitch for tackle Max Starks, but they believe he will leave in free agency. Other Steelers who would become unrestricted Feb. 29 are linebacker Clark Haggans, defensive ends Travis Kirschke and Nick Eason, fullback Dan Kreider, quarterback Brian St. Pierre, running back Verron Haynes and linebacker Marquis Cooper.

Their restricted free agents are tackle Trai Essex, guard Chris Kemoeatu, receiver Nate Washington, linebacker Andre Frazier and long snapper Greg Warren. The interesting part will come when the team must tender one-year offers to maintain their rights; the higher the offer, the more they protect themselves from losing the player.

Kemoeatu, for example, should command a high offer because he's likely to replace Faneca as the starting left guard.

This is where the money talks and the bullshit walks...the Steelers have the chance now to lock up Ben for a long time with a good deal and not have to worry about our QB status for years to come. He is the the one above all else that needs his money and now is no time to be stingy and start having contract talks break down. Get to talking and get this deal done.

It doesn't really appear they feel too confident they'll be able to get Starks either, much less Faneca.

steelersgal86
02-10-2008, 07:41 AM
Well lets hope they get it done quick:yellowthumb:

Silverback 92
02-10-2008, 09:04 AM
Its gonna be BIG !!

DIESELMAN
02-10-2008, 09:08 AM
Ben is pretty much a done deal, it would take some crazy **** for the Steelers not to lock Ben up. I'm more interested in how they handle Faneca and Starks.

PsychoWard
02-10-2008, 09:19 AM
man i hope they do everything in there power to keep faneca!!! don't see it happening but one can hope right!

TampaSteelGirl
02-10-2008, 09:52 AM
I agree! We really need to keep Fanaeca! Ben is a lock up! They arent' stupid, they will off him if not what he wants but darn close. He's going to retire a Steeler i'm sure!! :tt02:

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-10-2008, 11:12 AM
I agree! We really need to keep Fanaeca! Ben is a lock up! They arent' stupid, they will off him if not what he wants but darn close. He's going to retire a Steeler i'm sure!! :tt02:

It will take at least 42 million dollars to lock up Faneca. Not happening.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-10-2008, 11:13 AM
If it came down to Faneca or Starks...Starks would be the logical choice because he's younger and wouldn't cost as much to help solidify a shaky area like Tackle is for us right now but Alan is the proven real deal where Starks has shown signs of improving but also he fell off earlier this year so he's still not a guarantee like Alan is.

BlackGold4vr
02-10-2008, 11:29 AM
It will take at least 42 million dollars to lock up Faneca. Not happening.

I like Alan Faneca and wish we could keep him but you can't sign all your free agents. Nobody does! Gotta pick your fights carefully. Ben is a no brainer. Teams can search for decades for a franchise quarterback like we now have. Alan on the other hand is getting up there in years and you have to ask yourself how much longer Alan can play at the level he does? Eventually the skills start to diminish and you don't want to be locked in with a long term deal on someone who is no longer an asset but a liability.

Starks is a fat-*** who struggles with his weight which also greatly affects his play. When his weight is up his skills go down. I believe that is why Colon was able to take his job in spring training.

Let them both go (Starks and Faneca) and reload with young blood. Draft a tackle and a guard (Williams and Albert) would work and rebuild the line. Only big question mark is who will step up and play center. Can't go through another season with Turnstile (Mahan) playing there. The center of the O-line cannot collapse on a regular basis and expect the offense to succeed. :2cents:

Iron City South
02-10-2008, 11:56 AM
No doubt the Ben contract is why Rooney decided to throw more grass seed on the field rather than spend the money to fix the problem ....

BlitzburghRockCity
02-10-2008, 12:38 PM
We've gotten accustomed to being able to keep the majority of our big name free agents over the years, well atleast the ones that the team wanted to keep vs back in the day when we were still in TRS and had NO money to spend on anyone and we literally lost 1/3 of the starters almost every year so we're in a much better position now money wise to sign players; it's up to the Rooney's to actually do it and bring in some FA's to help this team fill the gaps while they build through the draft.

Iron City South
02-10-2008, 01:23 PM
I'm guessing Rooney won't bring in any "A-listers" in the Free Agency, because regardless of how much overall revenue the Steelers pull in, Rooney always keep himself in the top-tier in the profit margins column amongst NFL owners. :yesnod: Other owners don't mind less profits, they're more interested in bringing in top tier talent.

JB 67
02-10-2008, 01:38 PM
We've gotten accustomed to being able to keep the majority of our big name free agents over the years, well atleast the ones that the team wanted to keep vs back in the day when we were still in TRS and had NO money to spend on anyone and we literally lost 1/3 of the starters almost every year so we're in a much better position now money wise to sign players; it's up to the Rooney's to actually do it and bring in some FA's to help this team fill the gaps while they build through the draft.I agree and there is no excuse for loosing someone like Rod Woodson anymore :cope:

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Lock Ben up quick Rooney's!

Ambridge
02-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Getting a contract extension and getting one quickly was one of three wishes Roethlisberger said he had for the offseason during a Jan. 15 interview.

His other two desires were to keep guard Alan Faneca from leaving as a free agent.......

Hey Ben!!
How about telling the Rooney's you'd be willing to take less money so they could try and sign Faneca?

Yeah!! I didn't think so.:smh:

DIESELMAN
02-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Hey Ben!!
How about telling the Rooney's you'd be willing to take less money so they could try and sign Faneca?

Yeah!! I didn't think so.:smh:

Now that would really define Ben. Be nice if Ben did it but yeah it ain't going to happen.

Stlrs4Life
02-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Hope this gets done quickly also.

steelcityrockers
02-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Probably will be similar to JaMarcus Russel's deal, maybe a little more.

NOVA STEELERS
02-10-2008, 09:32 PM
:pray: they lock him up for many years of not having to worry about the QB position :pray:

TEEMONT
02-10-2008, 10:10 PM
I'm guessing Rooney won't bring in any "A-listers" in the Free Agency, because regardless of how much overall revenue the Steelers pull in, Rooney always keep himself in the top-tier in the profit margins column amongst NFL owners. :yesnod: Other owners don't mind less profits, they're more interested in bringing in top tier talent.

Yeah, that Daniel Snyder has like 4 Sb rings.....good for him.

steelerschick1220
02-12-2008, 01:48 PM
The sooner we get Ben done the better, in my opinion. I hope that we lock him up for a very long time.

V_83
02-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Yeah the sooner we lock Ben up, the sooner we can make other financial decisions.

manofsteel
02-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Bens definately locked up. I would like to keep Faneca but I know we wont too much money.

Brady Quinn
02-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Ben is gonna get paid to the point other deals will not be done.

Stairwayto7
02-19-2008, 10:46 AM
I agree, its gonna get done! So lets get it done! And be off to the next financial deal.

DIESELMAN
02-28-2008, 09:00 PM
I guess we'll find out tomorrow or the next couple of days. :yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-28-2008, 09:05 PM
I read that they have had preliminary talks with Ben already but I would imagine if they don't get this done before the draft we won't see anything signed until closer to training camp.

K Train
02-28-2008, 09:19 PM
I guess we'll find out tomorrow or the next couple of days. :yellowthumb:

no cause hes not a FA, we can wait forever to sign him, we wont get anything done until camp

DIESELMAN
02-28-2008, 09:23 PM
no cause hes not a FA, we can wait forever to sign him, we wont get anything done until campyeah thats true, just figured they would've gotten something done by now. It should be a no brainer to resign him, I guess juggling numbers takes some time :banging:

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Heard a rumor. That ben will not be giving any discount to the steelers. Unlike Brady with the pats.

K Train
02-29-2008, 05:01 PM
brady didnt give them a discount at all...he restructured it to get it in bonuses and backload the **** out of it...he gets all his money in a cap friendly way