PDA

View Full Version : Well, the decision has been made: Grass stays!

Stlrs4Life
02-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Steelers will stay with grass at Heinz Field
Friday, February 08, 2008

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have decided to stick with grass at Heinz Field, but they have not yet determined what kind it will be, sources confirmed.

Although Steelers President Art Rooney and chairman Dan Rooney each declined to comment, sources told the Post-Gazette that during meetings the past week, they decided not to install any kind of artificial turf.

And on Thursday, Jimmie Sacco, Heinz Field executive director of stadium development, said at a Stadium Managers Association conference, that the Steelers want to stick with grass.

"That's what the players want,'' Sports Business Daily quoted him as saying.

They may stay with the DDGrassMaster that has been the playing surface for most of Heinz Field's seven years, or switch to some sort of pure grass or sod.

Dan Rooney has been in favor of grass since Heinz Field opened, citing his players' overwhelming support for such a surface and surveys he says indicate fewer and less serious injuries occur on grass fields. DDGrassMaster is grass that is secured with fibers.

However, NFL Players Association surveys consistently put Heinz Field near the bottom of the league in playing surfaces.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08039/856014-66.stm

BlitzburghRockCity
02-08-2008, 08:33 PM
:cursin: :banging: :wtf: :excuseme: :bsflag: :yuck1: :bonk: :thud: :thumbdown1: :smh2: :evilshake:

Great yet another yet of being the laughing stock of the league in having the worse damn field in professional sports !! Yet another year of wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars resodding a swamp!

Koopa
02-08-2008, 08:41 PM
i say **** resodding it next year, just play on it as is, it's doesn't make a difference, why spend money to make it worse??

and i really hope a big time player has a career ender on it

Iron City South
02-08-2008, 08:46 PM
This is "classic" Rooney stubbornness. The city wants turf, the Panthers want turf, 75% of the players want turf, 75% of the fans want turf, but Rooney will force the issue just to show he's in charge.

I hope the Steelers have yet another year of embarassing field conditions (hopefully it will happen during a nationally televised game) and this man will have earned the moniker of "Captain CHEAPSKATE" weather he deserves it or not. :cursin:

Worse yet, let us lose a few games because WR's are slipping on their routes or Willie can't keep his feet under him and you'll see the fans turn faster on Rooney than a whore on a Ben Franklin. :2cents:

floodcitygirl
02-08-2008, 08:55 PM
This decision doesn't make alot of sense to me....unless it's really true that the majority of Steelers players actually want the grass. I would have to hear their reasoning behind it. I don't really care what the rest of the players in the NFL want. Maybe there is something...some reason we don't know???

BlitzburghRockCity
02-08-2008, 08:55 PM
This is "classic" Rooney stubbornness. The city wants turf, the Panthers want turf, 75% of the players want turf, 75% of the fans want turf, but Rooney will force the issue just to show he's in charge.

I hope the Steelers have yet another year of embarassing field conditions (hopefully it will happen during a nationally televised game) and this man will have earned the moniker of "Captain CHEAPSKATE" weather he deserves it or not. :cursin:

Worse yet, let us lose a few games because WR's are slipping on their routes or Willie can't keep his feet under him and you'll see the fans turn faster on Rooney than a whore on a Ben Franklin. :2cents:

Oh it's a guarantee we'll have a terrible field come November again. It's been that way every since they built Heinz and it's destined to be that way in the future. For a team that is so frugal and hell bent on not spending a lot of money on top players the least they could do is get a field that that actually does what it's supposed too......actually stand up to the rigors of all the work it gets !!

yes boys and girls we are destined for another year of this..

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2007/09000d5d80491316_gallery_600.jpg

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2007/09000d5d80491423_gallery_600.jpg

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2007/09000d5d8049320f_gallery_600.jpg

K Train
02-08-2008, 09:33 PM
i hope they die in a fire

BlitzburghRockCity
02-08-2008, 09:37 PM
i hope they die in a fire

Koopa is rubbing off on you :bluelol:

TEEMONT
02-08-2008, 11:52 PM
I love it.

dsj3
02-09-2008, 01:12 AM
What a bonehead decision. It is obvious that the Steelers are in some sort of denial. What makes them think that after seven years of playing in an embarrassing swamp, that they can now magically make real grass work in some fashion? What makes them feel that they can do something different than Baltimore, Cincinnati, or New England, especially since the Steelers field is much busier? And why would anyone turn down the prospect of additional income for their team from revenue from increased usage at the stadium if the field has turf? Perhaps the NFL will have to step in and help the Steeler's so called thinking. Has anyone looked at our schedule for 08? We are going to need all the speed we can muster. Now we will be slipping and sliding all season long in quicksand......again. Wake up and put in the turf already.

MDSteel15
02-09-2008, 02:31 AM
:tt02: :yellowthumb: :greenbounce2: :cope: :banana: :clap: :cabbagepatch:

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Been saying this from the start. That they would keep the grass. The Rooneys were just jerking the chains of fans and NFL by considering moving to turf. They never had any real intention of switching playing surfaces.

Prosdo
02-09-2008, 06:07 PM
This is just stupid.

TEEMONT
02-09-2008, 07:04 PM
I still love it. And obviously the players love, they gotta play on it, not the fans.

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Willie, was leading the league in rushing at the time of his injury. I would say that is pretty dam good. Jacksonville are no scrubs. They had the steelers number for awhile now.

Koopa
02-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Willie, was leading the league in rushing at the time of his injury. I would say that is pretty dam good. Jacksonville are no scrubs. They had the steelers number for awhile now.

no i'm talking about losing to the broncos, the cards, and the ****ing jets, i can understand losing to the jags, we were nowhere near their level, and i can understand losing to the ravens late cause no one played

also willie lead by less then 20 with over 40 carries more then anyone, so saying he was the leader doesn't really prove anything

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Im sure we'd all like the team to continue to play on grass if it actually stayed grass and didn't become a combination of sand and swamp by the time the games really start to count. Grass is one thing, a good grass field is almost as fast as field turf but what we play on is hardly anything other than a freekin joke.

Koopa
02-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Im sure we'd all like the team to continue to play on grass if it actually stayed grass and didn't become a combination of sand and swamp by the time the games really start to count. Grass is one thing, a good grass field is almost as fast as field turf but what we play on is hardly anything other than a freekin joke.

naw **** grass, lets go back to what won us 4 superbowls, astroturf is the ticket :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2008, 10:50 PM
naw **** grass, lets go back to what won us 4 superbowls, astroturf is the ticket :lol:

ah yes, the good ole days...

Hey atleast it was prettier to look at :D

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/past/three31.jpg

http://football.ballparks.com/NFL/PittsburghSteelers/interior.jpg

Dee Mca
02-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Maybe they are thinking of ways to help the defense next season If our backs can't cut neither can theirs. If our receivers can't run routes neither can theirs. How about we just get a gold field? Yes thats what we need gold colored Astroplay synthetic grass.

Koopa
02-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Maybe they are thinking of ways to help the defense next season If our backs can't cut neither can theirs. If our receivers can't run routes neither can theirs. How about we just get a gold field? Yes thats what we need gold colored Astroplay synthetic grass.

****ing a, lets go boise state style, but lets make it black with yellow stripes, of course the players would burn up, but **** it, it will look cool lol

SteelCityMan786
02-09-2008, 11:46 PM

The Steelers didn't even play on AstroTurf till 1983 so what championships are you talking about? :lol: Don't you remember that ol Tartan Turf? :bluelol: It looks a grass turf like surface from pictures I have seen.

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-10-2008, 12:10 PM
no i'm talking about losing to the broncos, the cards, and the ****ing jets, i can understand losing to the jags, we were nowhere near their level, and i can understand losing to the ravens late cause no one played

Koopa, the steelers have been dropping games every season to less talent teams long before Tomlin became coach. Come to expect that each season.

Koopa
02-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Koopa, the steelers have been dropping games every season to less talent teams long before Tomlin became coach. Come to expect that each season.

i know we do, i just couldn't take letting bum *** fags like kurt warner pick us apart 10 yards at a time

JB 67
02-10-2008, 02:42 PM
:cursin: :banging: :wtf: :excuseme: :bsflag: :yuck1: :bonk: :thud: :thumbdown1: :smh2: :evilshake:

Great yet another yet of being the laughing stock of the league in having the worse damn field in professional sports !! Yet another year of wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars resodding a swamp! I like the fact we have grass I feel it really does protect the Players ..the real problem is the whole State of Pennsylvania plays on Heinz field..

dsj3
02-10-2008, 03:37 PM
SteelCityMan, Tartan Turf was hard as a rock and nothing like real grass. Astroturf was softer. The newest turfs like Field Turf are very much like real grass. I guess we won't get to see it at Heinz Field though...... at least not this year but the alternative brown patches of cow pasture will be even a greater surface.............NOT! :-(

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 03:58 PM
SteelCityMan, Tartan Turf was hard as a rock and nothing like real grass. Astroturf was softer. The newest turfs like Field Turf are very much like real grass. I guess we won't get to see it at Heinz Field though...... at least not this year but the alternative brown patches of cow pasture will be even a greater surface.............NOT! :-(

Didn't I say it looked like it? AstroTurf now still sucks unless you wear turf shoes. Right now I'd tell them just replace the parts that are in major need of it. Although they'll pretty much just replace the whole thing.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-10-2008, 04:23 PM
The Steelers didn't even play on AstroTurf till 1983 so what championships are you talking about? :lol: Don't you remember that ol Tartan Turf? :bluelol: It looks a grass turf like surface from pictures I have seen.

You might want to recheck yourself...lol Three Rivers Stadium opened in 1970 and had Astro Turf from the start....So the Steelers played on Astro Turf from 70-00........

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 05:09 PM
You might want to recheck yourself...lol Three Rivers Stadium opened in 1970 and had Astro Turf from the start....So the Steelers played on Astro Turf from 70-00........

Nope actually they had Astroturf 83-00. Tartan Turf was 70-82.
http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/past/ThreeRiversStadium.htm

Black@Gold Forever32
02-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Nope actually they had Astroturf 83-00. Tartan Turf was 70-82.
http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/past/ThreeRiversStadium.htm

Ok thats really splitting hairs...lol Its still an artificial surface....:lol:

dsj3
02-10-2008, 06:26 PM
I always thought the old Titan Turf looked like a green parking lot with football markings. Just look at those old clips of the Immaculate Reception. I thought the Steelers were as tough as nails for playing on that field and we just seemed to be a team that played better on it....still do. We won three out of our five Super Bowls on turf including our last one in 05. Why the Rooney's would rather downgrade to flaps of diarrhea-like sod is hard to understand. By the way, is anybody else embarrassed to see our divisional opponents Baltimore or Cincinnati with awesome playing surfaces and ours barely recognizable as a pee wee league-like football field?

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Ok thats really splitting hairs...lol Its still an artificial surface....:lol:

haha don't worry, we can both agree to that. :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-10-2008, 06:36 PM
haha don't worry, we can both agree to that. :lol:

Oh I know.....I was just trying to follow up on Koopas point of the Steelers winning four titles on an artificial surface in the 70s.....

JoeThomas
02-10-2008, 07:27 PM
hopefully its for the best. that game was a joke last year. no reason it shoulda been a 3-0 steeler win. shoulda beat them by 3 td's.

NOVA STEELERS
02-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Lets hope the decision does not come back to bite us when we need a win and the field plays against us as well :crossfingers:

dsj3
02-10-2008, 11:24 PM
I asked this before but get no intelligent answer. Why are most major colleges and nearly half the NFL teams using and liking the new turfs but the Steelers have somehow determined that it is so dangerous?

TEEMONT
02-10-2008, 11:27 PM
I asked this before but get no intelligent answer. Why are most major colleges and nearly half the NFL teams using and liking the new turfs but the Steelers have somehow determined that it is so dangerous?

The Steelers are stuck playing old-school football. I don't think grass is any more dangerous than turf. You see injuries all the time, no matter what surface games are played on. I see no issue with grass, whether it's ****** grass, or super-duper great grass, that only houses the Steelers. 95% of the players in the NFl grew up playing on grass 10X shittier than what Heinz has. If the players wanted turf, we would have it, but the players have what they want.

dsj3
02-10-2008, 11:46 PM
I guess you are right brother T., but I grew up watching the Steelers on nothing but Astroturf and winning four Super Bowls playing all their home games (and two divisional opponents-Cincinatti and Houston) on turf so the "old school" you are referring to is so far back in the past I just can't relate to this so called old school mud and guts philosophy. If we could keep a decent grass surface it would be much easier to understand. I also don't totally understand why Steeler players would prefer a field of such poor quality. We go back to my last question as I end on this note.

Iron City South
02-11-2008, 12:48 PM
The Steelers are stuck playing old-school football.

The most hipocrytical thing about Rooney's position is that while he claims it to be part of Steelers history of old-school football, the Steelers 5 Super Bowl Championships were largely turf surfaces. Even in 2005, our post season road trip and SB win were all on turf surfaces.

Friday133
02-11-2008, 01:18 PM
The most hipocrytical thing about Rooney's position is that while he claims it to be part of Steelers history of old-school football, the Steelers 5 Super Bowl Championships were largely turf surfaces. Even in 2005, our post season road trip and SB win were all on turf surfaces.

You're wrong. They played in Denver on the same surface they have at Heinz Field.

Iron City South
02-11-2008, 01:55 PM
You're wrong. They played in Denver on the same surface they have at Heinz Field.

I'm not wrong, I believe you'll see I said "were largely turf surfaces" ... .meaning not all, but the majority.

Cincy WC Game - Turf
Indy - Turf
Denver - Grass
SB XL - Turf

This team is now about "speed and agility" ..... you get the most out of both of those on turf surfaces. :yesnod:

Rooney's decision defies logic and is merely ego talking. He wants to be able to show that he's in charge and that he can tell the league to mind thier own ****ing business.

memphissteelergirl
02-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Well, the article did say that the players prefer grass, so if that's what they want....:dunno:

But I hope at the very least Rooney will look into grass that is better than what they have been using...that stuff is just pure crap!!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Cincy WC Game - Turf
Indy - Turf
Denver - Grass
SB XL - Turf

This team is now about "speed and agility" ..... you get the most out of both of those on turf surfaces. :yesnod:

That's exactly what this team is about now...we've got fast guys on offense that we never had in the previous Cowher regime. We've always had fast guys on defense but now when you need a good, fast, field the most we're back to square one and shooting ourselves in the foot !

dsj3
02-11-2008, 04:40 PM
I agree. This team needs all the speed they can get. Period. Why isn't Baltimore, Cincinnati or New England putting real grass back in if turf is so darn dangerous like the Rooney's and the Steelers are claiming their unbiased studies show?

TEEMONT
02-11-2008, 04:45 PM

actually you were wrong...you said all in '05.

dsj3
02-11-2008, 05:26 PM
The tough steel biting Steelers we knew...are gone. The Steelers of today don't want to be sore after a game. The Steelers of today don't want to be faster. The Steelers of today are committed to playing in the mud....to clunk and chew their way down the field. I guess from their perspective it is better to slip and slide in the mud than to be scared to cut and run on turf. The nick name of Three Rivers Stadium was "The Blast Furnace" I guess we can nick name Heinz Field "The Swamp."

BlitzburghRockCity
02-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Here's something to consider Dan & Art..you're the owners, do what's best for the city, the field, and the team. Turf is the best thing, not wasting money on grass year in and year out. There's no combination of different types of grass that is going to work, how many more can there possibly be and how much more money can you possibly waste year in and year out.

Im a Steeler fan through and through no matter what and the Rooney's don't give 2 shiats about whether I agree with them or not on this but damn everybody in the league sees it and I'd bet money more players would like turf than he lets on.

SteelCityMan786
02-11-2008, 10:39 PM
Here's something to consider Dan & Art..you're the owners, do what's best for the city, the field, and the team. Turf is the best thing, not wasting money on grass year in and year out. There's no combination of different types of grass that is going to work, how many more can there possibly be and how much more money can you possibly waste year in and year out.

Im a Steeler fan through and through no matter what and the Rooney's don't give 2 shiats about whether I agree with them or not on this but damn everybody in the league sees it and I'd bet money more players would like turf than he lets on.

Only thing is, the Steelers are the majority user. So they have to what's best for the team first followed by City and all other groups. Grass doesn't have to be replaced a set number of years with an eventual replacement of the base. So my guess is, they just are hoping everything works to their advantage. So far with the Grass at Heinz Field they're 41-14-1. So I guess until they start doing bad at home, we'll be playing on grass.(Meaning they go about 3-5 or worse per year)

As a player in today's game of Football(Not the NFL of course, but High School) I'm more of a grass type of guy. Although varying on what you install, I don't mind Gurf. Just one thing is for sure, No Carpet Turf.(Aka Astroturf) More players at my level like grass because of course being kids, we like getting muddy. Only those who travel to play at Heinz Field once per year though in my opinion actually want the turf compared to Steelers. Until the players say different, no way is grass coming. As an owner you have to keep not just your fans, but also your players happy. It's tough to do, but someone's got to do the job.

dsj3
02-12-2008, 01:08 AM
I don't think anyone disagrees with the philosophy of real grass, its just that it is painfully proven that IT CANNOT BE DONE in Pittsburgh! Wake up, move on, recognize what needs to be done and stop being in a fantasy world that we have a decent field. The field we have S U C K S! Are the Steelers blind or something? Our field is the laughing stock of the NFL. Does anybody understand that NFL is PROFESSIONAL football and there should be a standard for a football field? Maybe our winning record will even be BETTER on a turf surface.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-12-2008, 01:25 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08043/856769-66.stm

Grass will continue to grow at Heinz Field

Tuesday, February 12, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

As the grass continues to grow at Heinz Field, to a point, so too will the debate that seems unique to Pittsburgh: Real or artificial?

The Steelers made sure the arguments for one or the other playing surface persist for at least another season with their choice to stick with grass in 2008, even though the NFL Players Association head has called for them to ditch it.

"I must say, I don't know whether to think it's a positive or negative that grass has gotten this much attention," Steelers President Art Rooney said yesterday, "but there's no denying that it's gotten a lot of attention."

Rooney explained that his team will play again on DDGrassMaster because "the majority of the people in this organization favor grass."

He said those include coach Mike Tomlin, the players and the medical staff. And Kevin Colbert, the director of football operations who argued for the installation of artificial turf, is "starting to think twice about it."

The five high school championship games and Pitt will remain at Heinz Field. The Steelers will continue to request a game on the road for Thanksgiving weekend, after the four WPIAL title games are played that Friday.

The installation of artificial turf remains a possibility, though, at some point. Rooney said they have met with several companies and will continue to do so. He cited FieldTurf's new Duraspine that was installed by West Virginia last year as an example of a more favorable development in artificial turf, and one that bears further inspection.

"There is no question that the new surfaces seem to be a better option than what we were dealing with 10 years ago. Things are improving in terms of the artificial surfaces. Maybe we will get to the point one of these years that our players will say this is what we want. ... There may be improvements to GrassMaster, as well. There's lots of things that can come along that may improve the situation and maybe allow us to stick with the grass and even have a better situation."

Injury surveys weighed little in the choice because Rooney said they are unreliable. Also, the 2006 NFL Players Association survey that ranked Heinz Field second-to-last among grass fields in the league has not been enough to sway them. Nor did NFLPA Executive Director Gene Upshaw's pleas to install FieldTurf.

"We would like to see them go to a different surface," Upshaw said in Arizona before the Super Bowl.

New England's was the only grass field ranked lower than Heinz in that 2006 survey and the Patriots have since switched to FieldTurf. Baltimore also switched. But three other teams also are sticking with the DDGrassMaster -- Philadelphia, Green Bay and Denver.

"Something would have to come along to really change a lot of people's thinking for us to make a decision to go the other way," Rooney said. "So our focus at this point is what's the best way to do grass? We'll evaluate doing the same thing we did last year in terms of bringing that turf in again."

The Steelers covered the DDGrassMaster -- mostly grass tied down and together by synthetic fibers -- with sod after the high school games in November. Then more than 1 inch of rain turned their Nov. 26 game against Miami into a bog. Rooney said the Steelers learned about how to cover the field and how not to on that occasion, and that will help them for the next time they do it.

"We have asked the league not to give us a game the weekend of the high school games. I think things can go better than they did this year from the standpoint of schedule and other items."

Rooney said cost is not a factor -- WVU installed its field for $900,000 -- because he said it costs more to maintain a grass field. Indeed, they must look to install another artificial surface on their indoor practice field because the FieldTurf installed there is now 8 years old.

He also said any money lost because they cannot accommodate some potential concerts at Heinz Field in order to maintain the grass is negligible.

some key points IMO..

"We have asked the league not to give us a game the weekend of the high school games. I think things can go better than they did this year from the standpoint of schedule and other items."

So now we have to ask the league to schedule us better so we can accomodate a swamp.

Injury surveys weighed little in the choice because Rooney said they are unreliable.

This is true, you can get hurt on any surface anywhere so the injury argument gets discarded in this.

Rooney said the Steelers learned about how to cover the field and how not to on that occasion, and that will help them for the next time they do it.

So all these previous years of a crappy field every November & Decmeber obviously taught them nothing until last year :banging:

TEEMONT
02-12-2008, 03:17 AM
I love it....lol.

SteelCityMan786
02-12-2008, 11:34 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08043/856769-66.stm

some key points IMO..

So now we have to ask the league to schedule us better so we can accomodate a swamp.

Injury surveys weighed little in the choice because Rooney said they are unreliable.

This is true, you can get hurt on any surface anywhere so the injury argument gets discarded in this.

Rooney said the Steelers learned about how to cover the field and how not to on that occasion, and that will help them for the next time they do it.

So all these previous years of a crappy field every November & Decmeber obviously taught them nothing until last year :banging:

Yeah well, if they finally figured it out, then hey, more power to them.

dsj3
02-12-2008, 12:25 PM
The NFL should have standards for professional football fields and you may see the same thing happen at Heinz Field that happened at the Vet in Philly one time. Some team may simply refuse to play on that pathetic field. Nothing is any different today in 01 than it is today. I still think we may see Field Turf installed at Heinz Field in the not too distant future.

V_83
02-12-2008, 01:15 PM
I agree with JB 67, the problem is that everybody and their uncle plays on it in November. If they limited the amount of games splayed on it, it might not be absolutely horrible come later on in the season.

SteelCityMan786
02-12-2008, 01:21 PM
I agree with JB 67, the problem is that everybody and their uncle plays on it in November. If they limited the amount of games splayed on it, it might not be absolutely horrible come later on in the season.

They may also may NOT want to have that many games in the span of 1 day.

But overall it won't happen with cutting down the total number of games. As long as the taxpayers are helping to pay for Heinz Field, it doesn't matter. City League/WPIAL Championships are going to be played at Heinz Field and Pitt Football will stay unless they get the money to play games on their own campus. Pitt needs to play their games on campus. If you can't fill 2/3 of your stadium in college, you're probably doing something wrong. Pitt's only way to sell more tickets is if they win games, until further notice, Pitt Football will remain a complete joke and more people from Pittsburgh will be traveling 3 hours east to State College. Yeah Penn State doesn't have to compete with teams Pitt does, but still, they should be able to fill the stadium.

dsj3
02-12-2008, 03:03 PM
You would think that all of this would have been foreseen. Pitt tore down their on campus stadium and moved to Heinz Field. The Pirates build their own stadium and move out of the Steelers way. One moves out and another moves in. What has changed from the Three Rivers Stadium concept? Nothing. Heinz Field is still a multi-purpose stadium. Unless Pitt finds another place to play and that won't happen anytime soon, field conditions will NEVER get better. Adding the WPIAL Championships just makes it that much worse. How can they limit anything for the grass?

manofsteel
02-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Love it. Players want it. I dont give a shiat about what the other 31 NFL teams think of it, or ESPN fot that matter.

Brady Quinn
02-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Turf is the only answer for the Steelers. You have a very fast RB who can make people miss. The weather there is bad consistantly and the field is played on way too much. There are so many types of turf now that it is as safe as grass looks like grass and will last like turf. I really think this is a mistake. If they cut out the high school games that will be negative for the community.

K Train
02-13-2008, 01:29 PM
when have you seen willie make anyone miss? lol

dsj3
02-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Man of Steel and rest of you grass/dirt fans......"maybe" the players want it...according to the NFL "maybe" they don't. Point is, the field is terrible and the stadium is community property. Open your eyes and except that the field conditions are NOT..I repeat NOT NFL quality.....barely Pee Wee league quality for that matter. Pretty soon you ARE going to give a crap what the other 31 teams think cause they/NFL are going to be the ones that force the Steelers to put in a "Professional" football surface. This is the NFL you know in case you forgot. The field is far more dangerous the way it is with flaps popping up everywhere and it turning into quicksand when it rains than whatever supposed danger exist for turf. I sincerely hope one of our own players does not get seriously hurt from the poor surface while we try this insane experiment another year.

Forged in Steel
02-13-2008, 05:04 PM
After playing in that Miami s*it swamp I would say it's down with the grass and in with the turf. The Steelers should switch to the Ravens field type or the Saints field or something like that. I punt a lot and I can't imagine punting in that Miami game!

K Train
02-13-2008, 05:23 PM
the ravens field is garbage turf

BlitzburghRockCity
02-13-2008, 05:51 PM
The best field turf right now is probably the Patriots, atleast last time I watched one of their home games...but hell any field turf is better than our swamp..

but I digress :whistle:

Stlrs4Life
02-13-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm not for or against the turf, but you can not use the Miami game as a guage. If it doesn't rain like it did that week or day, it would not of been as bad as it was.

dsj3
02-13-2008, 08:46 PM
The Baltimore Ravens use Sportexe-Momentum. Their field blows ours away! Check out Sportexe's website at www.sportexe.com and tell me that field does would not fit right in at Heinz Field. I believe Pitt just installed it at their practice facility. There are so many different surfaces to choose from and the Steelers would be awesome on this surface......its almost retarded we're keeping the dirt.

Muaz
02-14-2008, 03:51 AM
Hi, This post of mine is very knowledgable and may enhance the information of the viewers , however I would like some specific information for myself. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

Iron City South
02-14-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm not a field expert, but I do know this ..... doing nothing is not an answer. Neither is asking the league for an away game the week of the WPIAL finals. A week or two away from a ****** field does absolutely nothing but allow them to roll the mud and make the mud surface flatter.

IMO, if they are going to fight the world and stay with grass, the WPIAL games need to find another place to call home. What's the matter with some local High School turf stadiums?, or better yet, local Western PA college statiums like IUP, Slippery Rock, Robert Morris, Clarion, etc. etc? There's at least a half dozen other venues they could choose from that would be more than adequate to host the event and still give the kids something special to look forward to when making it to that level.