PDA

View Full Version : With Hines Ward Playing, NFL Should Schedule a Steelers Game in South Korea

Deb
02-04-2008, 02:25 PM
With Hines Ward Playing, NFL Should Schedule a Steelers Game in South Korea (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/02/04/with-hines-ward-playing-nfl-should-schedule-a-steelers-game-in/)

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/sports.aol.com/fanhouse/media/2008/02/hinesward240.jpg

Notes on a trip to the Super Bowl (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/tag/FanHouseinPhoenix).

I noted yesterday that Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor received the NFL's Walter Payton Man of the Year Award (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/02/03/jason-taylor-wins-walter-payton-man-of-year/), and it's an award Taylor deserves for his play on the field and his service to the community off the field.

But I had an opportunity to speak with all four Man of the Year Award finalists last week, and Steelers receiver Hines Ward (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/tag/HinesWard/) was the one who most impressed me, especially with his work in South Korea, where he was born.

Ward, who has a Korean mother and an African-American father and moved to the United States as a young child, says he's trying to raise awareness of the discrimination that often faces biracial children in South Korea. Ward started the Hines Ward Helping Hands Foundation, which helps ethnically mixed children who face discrimination in South Korea, and he says he'll travel to South Korea this year and meet President Roh Moo-hyun.

If Ward travels to South Korea next year, I hope it's to play an NFL game. I asked him if an NFL game in South Korea would work, and he said, "It would be kind of awesome to play a regular season game in South Korea, but I'm not the commissioner."

I'm not the commissioner either, but I think it would be awesome, and I think the league should do it next year, while Ward is still an active player. If Ward retires without having played in his native land, the NFL has missed a major opportunity to expose its product to a lucrative market.

LINK (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/)

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Im not sure they'd ever be able to play a game over there,with all the crap going down in and around that part of the country it's probably not the safest thing to do.

Personally I just don't like taking these games, regular season wise, out of the country. Go ahead and play your preseason game there if you want but keep the games in house and stop taking tickets away from the NFL fans in this country that support the team year in and year out.

manofsteel
02-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Top Gun I couldnt agree with you more.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2008, 11:34 AM
I will admit the year the Steelers went to Ireland for a preseason game that was pretty cool...preseason is one thing but regular season is totally different. Scalpers and ticket brokers hog up all the tickets as it now so cutting us fans out of 1 more chance to see the team just doesn't sit too well.

Forged in Steel
02-06-2008, 11:48 AM
I will admit the year the Steelers went to Ireland for a preseason game that was pretty cool...preseason is one thing but regular season is totally different. Scalpers and ticket brokers hog up all the tickets as it now so cutting us fans out of 1 more chance to see the team just doesn't sit too well.

TOP GUN is right. The NFL should only do these "out of country" games only in the Pre-Season. Sure, the people outside the U.S.A. will only see a fraction of a real game, but at least their getting something. So with a situation like last year when they played in England, Giants and Dolphins fans only got to see 7 home games instead of 8. Suprisingly, the Giants managed to make the Playoffs (barely) and win the Super Bowl against a bunch of sore-looser cheaters!

Prosdo
02-06-2008, 02:13 PM

I completely agree. Preseason is cool. Regular season a whole other story.

TampaSteelGirl
02-06-2008, 02:19 PM
TOP GUN is right. The NFL should only do these "out of country" games only in the Pre-Season. Sure, the people outside the U.S.A. will only see a fraction of a real game, but at least their getting something. So with a situation like last year when they played in England, Giants and Dolphins fans only got to see 7 home games instead of 8. Suprisingly, the Giants managed to make the Playoffs (barely) and win the Super Bowl against a bunch of sore-looser cheaters!

I agree! England was bad enough!! We need to keep the NFL in America! it's not fair to us fans who support them year in and year out!! :tt02:

Koopa
02-06-2008, 03:36 PM
**** that, they need to stop sending these games to other countries, if they want football, tell them to start their own damn league, stop taking games away from the ppl here that love there teams, preseaon or not, games need to be played in their home stadiums, it's no fair to take a home game away from a team just cause the nfl wants to make a few extra bucks

K Train
02-06-2008, 05:05 PM
thats dumb....

Stlrs4Life
02-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Schedule it as an away game, and I don't care. Not as a home game.

steelersgal86
02-07-2008, 05:39 AM
I agree! England was bad enough!! We need to keep the NFL in America! it's not fair to us fans who support them year in and year out!! :tt02:

:iagree: Keep it here!!!!

Stairwayto7
02-07-2008, 04:36 PM
My opinion, for what its worth!

This is the NATIONAL Football League, keep it in this Nation! Doesn`t the NFL make enough money already. Why does everything come down to cash? The EBITA has to be over the top anyway. Its not like the NFL is in dire straits, and needs to find ways to market themselves. I could careless they go global. Do not sell out! Play in states and cities around our country, that don`t get to see pro football. Like Cleveland, and Oklahoma, SD,ND, Cleveland, Utah, Nevada, NM, all these places would love to have one pro football game.

BlitzburghNation
02-07-2008, 04:43 PM

This is the NATIONAL Football League, keep it in this Nation! Doesn`t the NFL make enough money already. Why does everything come down to cash? The EBITA has to be over the top anyway. Its not like the NFL is in dire straits, and needs to find ways to market themselves. Play in states and cities around our country, that don`t get to see pro football. Like Cleveland, and Oklahoma, SD,ND, Cleveland, Utah, Nevada, NM, all these places would love to have one pro football game.

:ditto:
That's exactly what I've been thinking,,,,,,, :yellowthumb:

Stlrs4Life
02-07-2008, 06:28 PM

This is the NATIONAL Football League, keep it in this Nation! Doesn`t the NFL make enough money already. Why does everything come down to cash? The EBITA has to be over the top anyway. Its not like the NFL is in dire straits, and needs to find ways to market themselves. I could careless they go global. Do not sell out! Play in states and cities around our country, that don`t get to see pro football. Like Cleveland, and Oklahoma, SD,ND, Cleveland, Utah, Nevada, NM, all these places would love to have one pro football game.

If you give 1 to Cleveland, then Cinncinatti and Youngstown would want 1.