PDA

View Full Version : Decision on playing surface at Heinz Field due shortly

NOVA STEELERS
02-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Friday, Feb 1, 2008 8:29 am EST

The Steelers are tearing out the grass at Heinz Field, but not because they have decided to install an artificial surface according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Less than a month after their season ended, the Steelers are removing the sod that was laid over their primary DDGrassMaster surface in November in an attempt to make the field more playable and presentable. It does not mean they have made any final decision to replace their grass field, which includes small synthetic fibers, with some type of artificial surface. The discussion to switch to another surface has been on-going and a decision will be made shortly.

"The Steelers installed the sod, at a cost of $150,000, in an attempt to improve the field. But because the sod covered the drainage system that was installed with the original surface, Heinz Field was turned into a soggy, muddy mess for a Nov. 26 game against the Miami Dolphins after a severe thunderstorm. Many of the Steelers players and coach Mike Tomlin are in favor of retaining a grass surface at Heinz Field

Go with Field Turf...... COME ON :cursin: :cursin: :cursin: :crossfingers:

K Train
02-01-2008, 11:40 AM
i honestly think we'll get turf the way they are dancing around it

BRICKTOWN BEAST
02-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Sure turf looks pretty but i love when it gets muddy and soggy thats steelers football. but we definetly need better conditions than a swamp for a field

K Train
02-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Sure turf looks pretty but i love when it gets muddy and soggy thats steelers football. but we definetly need better conditions than a swamp for a field

ooo yeah mud....steeler smathmouth football ra ra

get over it

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2008, 05:35 PM
i honestly think we'll get turf the way they are dancing around it

Yeah I think they will too. Upshaw was right when he talked about the players and what they really think. Heinz is too great of a venue to have such a ****** field. It's field turf it's not like it's astro turf anymore here for God sakes. Players play all the time and are fine year in and year out on the stuff. If you're going to get hurt you're going to hurt no matter what surface. For God sakes just do it already and stop wasting money on sod every year. They spent 150,000 to resod the field November this year...a 150,000.00 dollars !!! They may not seem like it's much when they throw around millions like I collect pennies but damn that money could go to better use..if nothing else a charity!

Koopa
02-01-2008, 05:51 PM
i don't get how mud is steeler football if they used to play on astro turf

BlackGold4vr
02-01-2008, 05:53 PM
If you have a smashmouth team with a strong powerful runner (like the bus) then a mud field is fine because it plays to your strength. But we don't have that kind of team anymore. Willie is a speed back and Santonio is a speed receiver. We negate the advantages these players give us by putting them on a field with poor footing. Some of you say but its the same for both teams. Who cares? That is not a valid defense for allowing your own field to neutralize one of your team strengths which is speed. Field turf is a faster playing surface which would allow our speed to actually benefit us more for half of our games. I am all for the field turf especially if you are going to allow everybody to use the field. The high traffic would make less of an impact on field turf. Lots of teams are using it and in the long run it would also save money because it would eliminate the need to keep resodding. :2cents:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-01-2008, 06:00 PM
i don't get how mud is steeler football if they used to play on astro turf

From 1970 to 2000 the Steelers played on astro turf......That was the lifespan of Three Rivers Stadium......

Before Three Rivers opened the Steelers played their home games at Old Pitt Stadium and Forbes Field.....Which were grass surfaces....Of course since 2001 the Steelers have played at Heinz Field....

Koopa
02-01-2008, 06:05 PM
From 1970 to 2000 the Steelers played on astro turf......That was the lifespan of Three Rivers Stadium......

Before Three Rivers opened the Steelers played their home games at Old Pitt Stadium and Forbes Field.....Which were grass surfaces....Of course since 2001 the Steelers have played at Heinz Field....

yeah i know, that's why i don't get it's steelers football, steelers weren't worth a damn till the 70s, so that's 30 years of no mud, and just 7 years of gayness........ they need to go to field turf

Black@Gold Forever32
02-01-2008, 06:11 PM
yeah i know, that's why i don't get it's steelers football, steelers weren't worth a damn till the 70s, so that's 30 years of no mud, and just 7 years of gayness........ they need to go to field turf

I don't care either way......If they could maintain the grass surface then I would like to see the grass field stay.....But that grass field has never held up since Heinz opened so it probably never will......So switching to Field Turf seems like the logical option.....I just hope they put in the same turf that West Virginia uses.......

K Train
02-01-2008, 06:31 PM

thst right there was ownage on this whole topic lol

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Watch for the Rooney's listen to the players and keep the grass if I had to bet.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2008, 06:57 PM
If you have a smashmouth team with a strong powerful runner (like the bus) then a mud field is fine because it plays to your strength. But we don't have that kind of team anymore. Willie is a speed back and Santonio is a speed receiver. We negate the advantages these players give us by putting them on a field with poor footing. Some of you say but its the same for both teams. Who cares? That is not a valid defense for allowing your own field to neutralize one of your team strengths which is speed. Field turf is a faster playing surface which would allow our speed to actually benefit us more for half of our games. I am all for the field turf especially if you are going to allow everybody to use the field. The high traffic would make less of an impact on field turf. Lots of teams are using it and in the long run it would also save money because it would eliminate the need to keep resodding. :2cents:

That's about the size of it right there :yesnod: Nate is the fastest guy on the team, Santonio and Willie are blazing fast too, we've got weapons on this team that can do so much more damage on a regular basis on turf than the swap. Not to mention DB's are at an disadvantage as it is just being on defense but when you hamper their speed and cutting ability by putting them in 6 inches of swamp every week from November to December it's just a killer.

Koopa
02-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Watch for the Rooney's listen to the players and keep the grass if I had to bet.

but the players are telling gene upshaw they don't like it, i think the players are just pussies and don't want to tell the rooney's how they really feel about the **** poor playing conditions they are forced to play on

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Willie and Santonio both said they prefer the artificial surface when questioned about it earlier this year to the media. It's time for this team to wise up and realize the weapons we have and get out of the stone age. You spents hundreds of millions of dollars on a new stadium and it looks and performs like **** when we need it the most every year.

Koopa
02-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Willie and Santonio both said they prefer the natural surface when questioned about it earlier this year to the media. It's time for this team to wise up and realize the weapons we have and get out of the stone age. You spents hundreds of millions of dollars on a new stadium and it looks and performs like shiat when we need it the most every year.

i've read willie perfers the artifical turf in another article

Black@Gold Forever32
02-01-2008, 07:08 PM
i've read willie perfers the artifical turf in another article

Both of his 200 yard games have came at Heinz.....:lol:

Koopa
02-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Both of his 200 yard games have came at Heinz.....:lol:

against who again?? yeah.....:lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-01-2008, 07:13 PM
against who again?? yeah.....:lol:

Browns and Saints....I don't care who its against....Thats still a crap load of yards...lol Just saying both of his best games as a pro were on grass....Funny he prefers turf.....lol

Koopa
02-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Browns and Saints....I don't care who its against....Thats still a crap load of yards...lol Just saying both of his best games as a pro were on grass....Funny he prefers turf.....lol

those were flukes though, it'll never happen again, the two teams they were against were bum *** defenses, dookie was even running all over the browns that night, that was a once in a lifetime game for willie parker, just imagine if that was a good field, dude would've gone over 400 :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Sorry let me correct myself, it's supposed to read that Willie and Santonio said they prefer the field turf. My bad, I was getting ahead of myself in that post..LOL.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-01-2008, 07:18 PM
those were flukes though, it'll never happen again, the two teams they were against were bum *** defenses, dookie was even running all over the browns that night, that was a once in a lifetime game for willie parker, just imagine if that was a good field, dude would've gone over 400 :lol:

Never say never Koopa.......Dude I'm more for field turf then grass right now since the grass never holds up....So I agree with you on the field turf....I'm just bringing up Willie has his best games on grass...lol

I think I'm going to have to make another bet this year...I had a bet with Teemont before the 2007 season started that Ben would throw 30 TD passes in 07.....

So I'm thinking Willie will have 200 yards in a game this year just to spite you.....:lol:

Koopa
02-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Never say never Koopa.......Dude I'm more for field turf then grass right now since the grass never holds up....So I agree with you on the field turf....I'm just bringing up Willie has his best games on grass...lol

I think I'm going to have to make another bet this year...I had a bet with Teemont before the 2007 season started that Ben would throw 30 TD passes in 07.....

So I'm thinking Willie will have 200 yards in a game this year just to spite you.....:lol:

he won't touch 160 in one game :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-01-2008, 08:21 PM
he won't touch 160 in one game :lol:

So its a bet then?:lol:

Koopa
02-01-2008, 08:27 PM
So its a bet then?:lol:

sure, but i want to bump it down, he won't go over 140 all year next year :lol:

K Train
02-01-2008, 10:04 PM
willie likes turf and so does holmes even if hes a bitch about it lol...the field conditions were absolutely terrible when willie went over 200 on the stains...they were saying before the game they were worried about him running on it cause it was beat up dirt and nothing else....he wouldve destroyed the record if he has solid footing lol

Black@Gold Forever32
02-01-2008, 11:05 PM
willie likes turf and so does holmes even if hes a bitch about it lol...the field conditions were absolutely terrible when willie went over 200 on the stains...they were saying before the game they were worried about him running on it cause it was beat up dirt and nothing else....he wouldve destroyed the record if he has solid footing lol

I never said the conditions were not terrible Train.....:lol: Willie probably would have a 300 yard game on field turf that game against the Browns...I'm also not against Field Turf so much after the Dolphins game this year.....

dsj3
02-02-2008, 12:51 AM
Man, is this grass/turf thing brain surgery or something? I mean, good grief, the field looks like crap basically most of the season. It falls apart, rips apart, etc. Why turf was not installed from the get go in 01 I don't know but it is high time for it now. Does anybody pay attention how often players (Steelers) are slipping while trying to cut? I cannot fathom why they are still thinking about this. I know the Rooney's are a great football family but its almost like they are in denial or something. Grass wont work already. We will play better on turf and well it will certainly look better. In addition, Heinz Field can host more concerts/events and a percentage of that will help give us more revenue for the team. Pitt also understands the need and wants turf. I can't wait to see a professional football field and our colors and logos back. I just hope it's coming. TURF PLEASE.

SteelCityMan786
02-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Man, is this grass/turf thing brain surgery or something? I mean, good grief, the field looks like crap basically most of the season. It falls apart, rips apart, etc. Why turf was not installed from the get go in 01 I don't know but it is high time for it now. Does anybody pay attention how often players (Steelers) are slipping while trying to cut? I cannot fathom why they are still thinking about this. I know the Rooney's are a great football family but its almost like they are in denial or something. Grass wont work already. We will play better on turf and well it will certainly look better. In addition, Heinz Field can host more concerts/events and a percentage of that will help give us more revenue for the team. Pitt also understands the need and wants turf. I can't wait to see a professional football field and our colors and logos back. I just hope it's coming. TURF PLEASE.

Ok, so how is late November to December most of the season? That field doesn't get torn up truely until WPIAL and the City League play their championships.(Not trying to sound offensive, appologize if I do, but I still don't understand how 2 months can be considered most of the season)

But yeah, from the standpoint of how bad it's torn up, yeah, you're right. They may also be considering closing the open endzone which odds are that won't happen.

Koopa
02-02-2008, 02:56 PM
Ok, so how is late November to December most of the season? That field doesn't get torn up truely until WPIAL and the City League play their championships.(Not trying to sound offensive, appologize if I do, but I still don't understand how 2 months can be considered most of the season)

But yeah, from the standpoint of how bad it's torn up, yeah, you're right. They may also be considering closing the open endzone which odds are that won't happen.

but those are the most important months of the season, that's when it gets down to the nitty gritty, and if you have a field crippling you it makes it that much harder to compete to get in the playoffs

BlitzburghRockCity
02-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Heinz gets twice the work out that most other NFL stadiums do because of the Panthers. By the time we get to November the field performs like crap and needs to be resodded then the kids play on it and it goes to total ****. It's pointless and ridiculous to keep wasting money every year on natural grass when you know there is no end in sight, it's not like we're going to suddenly have sunny southern california weather year around. Get the field turf, stop wasting money, and stop hampering our team.

Captcoolhand
02-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Heinz gets twice the work out that most other NFL stadiums do because of the Panthers. By the time we get to November the field performs like crap and needs to be resodded then the kids play on it and it goes to total shiat. It's pointless and ridiculous to keep wasting money every year on natural grass when you know there is no end in sight, it's not like we're going to suddenly have sunny southern california weather year around. Get the field turf, stop wasting money, and stop hampering our team.
I couldnt agree more but why don't the f*ck'n city and the Rooneys help pay for a new field for all these other teams and let them play there? why should it be up to the Steelers to fork out the cash to replace our field everytime all these other teams want to waste the field.
Commen sense, why should 1 person be left holding the bill when Pittsburgh could help pay. :scratch: Damn put a sin tax on your Cigs and Beer and let that help pay for it. Cleveland does and you don't see problems there and they're next to a freak'n lake.

SteelCityMan786
02-03-2008, 01:26 AM
I couldnt agree more but why don't the f*ck'n city and the Rooneys help pay for a new field for all these other teams and let them play there? why should it be up to the Steelers to fork out the cash to replace our field everytime all these other teams want to waste the field.
Commen sense, why should 1 person be left holding the bill when Pittsburgh could help pay. :scratch: Damn put a sin tax on your Cigs and Beer and let that help pay for it. Cleveland does and you don't see problems there and they're next to a freak'n lake.

That's one thing that has baffled me about why Pitt hasn't help along with WPIAL. :scratch:

dsj3
02-12-2008, 05:17 PM
We could have had a beautiful state of the art turf for all the thousands of dollars wasted re-sodding our dirt over and over again.