PDA

View Full Version : What if?

suitanim
09-25-2006, 11:11 AM
I always hate to do this, but for the "The World is coming to an end because we lost twice" crowd, it's an interesting exercise.

What if?
Ben doesn't throw 2 INT's in the endzone? Minimum impact is probably a 6 point swing, maximum impact is 14.
Coke doesn't lay the ball down?
7 points come off the board for Cincy.
Verron doesn't lay the ball down?
Same.
There's 20-28 points differential right there.

How about Washington's drop in the endzone when we settled for 3? There's another 4 points.

That's a possible 32 points...I'm not saying we should have won, because we shouldn't have, but this team is not going to play like this every game. In fact, I don't expect them to play this poorly again this year. So keep your collective chins up, Steelers fans...we'll be back.

House of Steel
09-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Do you realize this, had it not happen 5 TOs, we could of easily scored 40 plus on them. How much you wanna bet had we scored 40 points, the media would give us the darn respect and maybe give us the media darling of the week award. I am telling you this, I am so sick and tired of the media slamming teams down that don't deserve it, but in this case, I will take it. We got our backs against the wall now, I pray and hope, we can put together one of the greatest winning streaks in NFL History and ride high right into the playoffs and bodyslam Cincy right down into the Ohio River. There is a whole season of games left. It is still a wide open race for the division. We have a lot of work to do, but we can still pull the inevitable off.

Troyisabeast_43
09-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Very true House there are 13 games left people keep forgetting. The Steelers were 3-2 last season after 5 games and look what happened. The big thing this year with this loss is the Bengals have a two game lead now and plus the tiebraker by beating us head to head which is going to make it an uphill climb to catch them. Im definitely convinced after yesterday that Cincy's D still stinks and still cannot stop the run they proved that again yesterday. The key to beating them and Ill say it again is DO NOT TURN THE BALL OVER. Palmer in that 2nd half before the 2 turnovers had 16 yards on 17 plays and got sacked 4 times in that 3rd quarter and couldnt do anything against us. The Bengals time will come when there D gets burnt by the run and they will pay for it by losing some games.

As for the Steelers now there is still plenty of time to make a run at this thing and run off a streak of wins. The next 7 games or so look very winnable with the 2 key games being in SD and Atlanta. I think we will beat KC,Denver,and the Saints because they are here, and Oakland is pretty much a gimmie game no matter where that is. The bottom line is though with the Steelers there has to be a sense of urgency this game in SD. They need to come out of there with a win because if they do that they can come home the next week facing a banged up KC team and get that record to where it was last year this time at 3-2. I think the Ravens will lose within the next few weeks they have SD,Denver,and Carolina they wont win all of those, and the Bengals have the Pats,Tampa,Carolina and Atlanta the next 4. Its just going to be very important for the Steelers to string together a streak of 6 in a row or 5 out of 6 here. If they can do that they will be fine. However, they now MUST win in San Diego it really becomes an important game with Cincy and Baltimore both being 3-0.

suitanim
09-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Bear in mind, too, that we are the Bengals Super Bowl...that's why Odell Thurman was arrested for DUI last night http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9684147

They'll probably have their heads swell up again like last year and lose a few games out of complacancy.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-25-2006, 12:36 PM
What ifs don't win divisional titles. What ifs dont win playoff games. What ifs dont win Superbowls; what ifs dont win in the regular or preseason. Woulda Coulda Shoulda isnt good enough in this league. You can say what if to any one of a million different scenarios every season but it all comes down to execution, good fundamental play, and limiting mistakes as much as possible.

Are the Steelers out of it now? No of course not, not by a long shot...but we have a long road ahead and we need to get focused and stop shooting ourselves in the foot. We pride ourselves on not beating ourselves when we go out on sunday afternoons and for the last 2 weeks we've beat ourselves.

AZ_Steeler
09-25-2006, 01:39 PM
I hate the "what if"... all you do is beat yourself up over the what if! I do it to myself everyday...

The Steelers lost it's time to move on and enjoy the bye week and get ready for SD...

suitanim
09-25-2006, 01:50 PM
Hey, I admitted right up front I hate "What if", but I hate fans who are ready to throw away a whole season over a couple games worse. This is just an interesting exercise, and my point was that even playing like ***, the Steelers could have very easily won that game yesterday, against a team that many will now consider the best or close to the best team in the NFL.

If this was week 10 and we were playing like this, I'd be very concerned...right now I think the ship can be turned around.

AZ_Steeler
09-25-2006, 02:00 PM
You're exactly right suit! It is to early to throw in the towel, and had a couple of plays not had happened the game is a completely different story... hopefully these mistakes will become fewer and fewer and the Steelers will start winning these close games.

House of Steel
09-25-2006, 03:15 PM
I agree with most of you here. We are very early in the season yet, and I have a lot of confidence we are going to right the ship and make a serious run for the divisional title and the playoffs. There is no doubt about it. This team is loaded with talent.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Absolutely the ship can still be turned around, right now its only a slit bit off course but nothing that can't be rectified. As long as we don't correct the ship before the island gets too far out of sight we'll be just fine.

Anybody who throws in the terrible towel right now is not a true fan, period! We all have a right to be upset after how we played the last 2 weeks but we still bleed black n gold through and through.

Steelerlyn
09-25-2006, 04:58 PM
We had them in every stat.............just not the one that counted

More yards passing - 208 to 193.
More yards rushing - 170 to 87.
More first downs - 27 to 15.
Better 3rd down efficiency - 44% - 33%.
More total yards - 365 - 246.
The Steelers had 20 less yards in penalties than the Bengals had.
Time of possesion was in the Steelers favor - 33:51 to 26:09.

And what was the score of the game? That's the only stat that
counts.......

I don't think the Bengals are coming out of that with alot of confidence. I think they're coming out extremely thankful for what was handed to them.

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

SteelerFan87
09-25-2006, 10:39 PM
The fact of the matter is we've only lost 2 games. Just 2. That's nothing. Now, we're behind in the division, so we've got our work cut out for us, but it's no time to panic.

Let's look at the schedule:

SD: Ben has had good games against SD, and their pass defense is bad. Expect Ben to bounce back from the last 2 games and score some quick TDs early on. The Chargers have a good run defense, but their offense should have alot of trouble against the Steelers. For 1 thing, they depend alot on LT, a RB, and we all know how good the Steelers are against the run. Another thing is that Philip Rivers is in his 1st year as the starter, and the Steelers D eats inexperienced QBs.

KC: We can thank the Bengals for this one. Without Trent Green, the Cheifs depend entirely on Larry Johnson, and I like the Steelers against that.

Atlanta: Another running team, which plays into the Steelers strenghts. If you take away their running game, and force Vick to beat you through the air, that just isn't going to happen.

Oakland: They're Oakland. This ones a W.

Denver: Based on the way we dominated Denver last year, I think we can beat them again, although I think it will be alot closer.

NO: They're NO. They've definitely made improvements, but they're still the Saints.

Cleveland: It's Cleveland, nuff said. Only question is if the Browns will actually score in their house.

Baltimore: I'd say it's 50-50. I think we'll split with them again.

Tampa Bay: Wow, how far they have fallen. From a playoff team last year, to 0-3 this year, and now their starting QB is hurt. Even if they can recover from that, the Steelers have always owned TB, since they run the ball, and can't stop the run.

Cleveland: Again, it's cleveland.

Carolina: This should be a great game. I would not be surprised if the Steelers lose this one, although we certainly have a chance.

Baltimore: Again, 50-50. If we sweep the Raven's I'd be surprised.

Cincinnati: Oh yes, revenge is a dish best served cold, which is appropriate for a game December 31. Here we finally get a chance to shut up all the Bungles and their fans. I would not be surprised if the division comes down to this game. Time to take our title back.

So, basically I see us going 11-5 again, or 12-4.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-25-2006, 10:45 PM
11-5 is a realistic shot, as is 12-4. It's gonna take a total team effort the same as our run did last year. Complete focus, no slipups, beat everyone we're supposed to beat, and split the games with teams that are tough and we should be ok...Im not worried about going on the road in the playoffs, hell I think I'd almost prefer it :lol:

House of Steel
09-25-2006, 10:46 PM
The fact of the matter is we've only lost 2 games. Just 2. That's nothing. Now, we're behind in the division, so we've got our work cut out for us, but it's no time to panic.

Let's look at the schedule:

SD: Ben has had good games against SD, and their pass defense is bad. Expect Ben to bounce back from the last 2 games and score some quick TDs early on. The Chargers have a good run defense, but their offense should have alot of trouble against the Steelers. For 1 thing, they depend alot on LT, a RB, and we all know how good the Steelers are against the run. Another thing is that Philip Rivers is in his 1st year as the starter, and the Steelers D eats inexperienced QBs.

KC: We can thank the Bengals for this one. Without Trent Green, the Cheifs depend entirely on Larry Johnson, and I like the Steelers against that.

Atlanta: Another running team, which plays into the Steelers strenghts. If you take away their running game, and force Vick to beat you through the air, that just isn't going to happen.

Oakland: They're Oakland. This ones a W.

Denver: Based on the way we dominated Denver last year, I think we can beat them again, although I think it will be alot closer.

NO: They're NO. They've definitely made improvements, but they're still the Saints.

Cleveland: It's Cleveland, nuff said. Only question is if the Browns will actually score in their house.

Baltimore: I'd say it's 50-50. I think we'll split with them again.

Tampa Bay: Wow, how far they have fallen. From a playoff team last year, to 0-3 this year, and now their starting QB is hurt. Even if they can recover from that, the Steelers have always owned TB, since they run the ball, and can't stop the run.

Cleveland: Again, it's cleveland.

Carolina: This should be a great game. I would not be surprised if the Steelers lose this one, although we certainly have a chance.

Baltimore: Again, 50-50. If we sweep the Raven's I'd be surprised.

Cincinnati: Oh yes, revenge is a dish best served cold, which is appropriate for a game December 31. Here we finally get a chance to shut up all the Bungles and their fans. I would not be surprised if the division comes down to this game. Time to take our title back.

So, basically I see us going 11-5 again, or 12-4.

Excellent Post!!!! I love it.

SteelerFan87
09-25-2006, 11:38 PM
I just looked at the Bengals schedule, and I would not be surprised if, by week 8, the Steelers and Bengals are both 5-2. Add to this the fact that the 2 weeks before our rematch, the Bungals have to go to Indianapolis and Denver. I really think that we'll either be tied going into that last game, or the Bengals will be behind looking to try to get back into the race.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-26-2006, 12:10 AM
The ratbirds run into a tough stretch in mid season too, they'll exposed for the overrated jailbirds they are. Chargers, Broncos, Panthers, Saints, Bengals, Falcons.

Steelersfan
09-26-2006, 12:57 AM
We had them in every stat.............just not the one that counted

More yards passing - 208 to 193.
More yards rushing - 170 to 87.
More first downs - 27 to 15.
Better 3rd down efficiency - 44% - 33%.
More total yards - 365 - 246.
The Steelers had 20 less yards in penalties than the Bengals had.
Time of possesion was in the Steelers favor - 33:51 to 26:09.

And what was the score of the game? That's the only stat that
counts.......

I don't think the Bengals are coming out of that with alot of confidence. I think they're coming out extremely thankful for what was handed to them.

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

You forgot one other key stat Lyn besides the score, 5 turnovers. That is the one stat that stands out to me and is IMO what lost us the game.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-26-2006, 01:00 AM
Still burns me up to see that stat. 5 damn turnovers in 1 game :cursin: :cursin:

Steelersfan
09-26-2006, 01:03 AM
We've seen the INT's before but the fumbles really bug me. If we could do something wrong in that game we did. What sucks is we still had a shot at the end of it.

SteelerFan87
09-26-2006, 02:23 AM
The ratbirds run into a tough stretch in mid season too, they'll exposed for the overrated jailbirds they are. Chargers, Broncos, Panthers, Saints, Bengals, Falcons.

LOL, I didn't even take the Old Browns into account. I completely forgot about them!

suitanim
09-26-2006, 10:50 AM
11-5, 12-4 is very reasonable, as long as we learned our lessons from these last 2 games, and Ben returns to form.

BBC
09-26-2006, 08:46 PM
Great thread Suit. I'm not one for the 'What if' game, but I thought we showed some promise if we can come out at eliminate the mental mistakes. We had the talent Sunday, just didn't always have the execution.

Just for the record, 21 of the Bengals 28 points came off of turnovers (granted, 7 of them were off of a 97 yard drive, the other two were started inside our 30 yard line).

BlitzburghRockCity
09-27-2006, 07:16 AM
Stopping the turnovers and getting Reed out of his slump will stop us from leaving points on the field too. We left 17 points on the field last sunday.

3 pts = Reeds missed FG
7 pts = Ben's interception on the goal line in the first half
7 pts = Ben's interception on the goal line at the end of the game.

If we score all those points, we aren't griping abou being 1-2 right now.

House of Steel
09-27-2006, 10:40 AM
More than that, Matt, say about 32 from what I figured out. The fumbles, COKE muffled punts, interceptions as you mentioned, missed FGs as you mentioned, and of course, close interceptions we should of had. We could of easily scored 40 on them.

BBG7
09-27-2006, 10:51 AM
I still can't bring myself to look at the what ifs...it just pisses me off too much. However, we did there are some positives that can be taken away from last weeks games. Now we have to go in and forget about the past and make it a one game season every week as they did last year!!!

SteelerFan87
09-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Well, see the problem I have with saying "we would have won if not for the interceptions" is that Palmer threw picks too. Sure, there's a difference, because the Steelers turnovers were far more costly, but I think the fact that the Bengals turned it over alot too kind of limits what you can say with that. Maybe instead of blaming the whole thing on turnovers, and saying the Steelers would have won without them, we can say that Ben's picks were stupider than Palmer's, and shouldn't have happened, thus, if, (taking Bengal turnovers into account), you take away 1 Steelers turnover, Pittsburgh wins the game.

suitanim
09-27-2006, 11:26 AM
There is a bit of a difference, though...we forced a lot of the Bengals errors. We were in Palmers face all day. The errors the Steelers made were all their own fault...

BBG7
09-27-2006, 12:19 PM
That is very true. There was that one series where Palmer had back to back fumbles followed by an int. We were in his face the entire game. It kindof reminded me of what we did to Manning last year in the playoffs.