PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger dismisses 'rift' with Ward

Koopa
01-31-2008, 01:25 AM
PHOENIX - Ben Roethlisberger spoke at a new conference Wednesday to promote the Pro Bowl. Afterward, he tried to defuse a controversy sparked by his comments that he'd like the Steelers to add a tall wide receiver to their roster.

Hines Ward appeared to take umbrage at what Roethlisberger said, but the Steelers quarterback said that was never the case.

"People made it way bigger than it really was, so there's no rift between Hines and I," Roethlisberger said at the Phoenix Convention Center. "We actually talked and laughed about it and joked. Hines and I have no problem."

Roethlisberger said his comments that he wants a taller wide receiver -- no wideout on the Steelers' 53-man roster is listed as taller than 6-foot-1 -- were taken out of context.

"The question was asked of me what else would you like besides what you have on your team now," Roethlisberger said. "I don't want to change who we have. I love my receivers. It got blown way out of proportion."

Roethlisberger had a career year in 2007, as he threw a franchise-record 32 touchdown passes. His passer rating of 104.1 in the regular season was second only to that of New England's Tom Brady.

Roethlisberger, who turns 26 in March, has two years left on his contract, and he and the Steelers are expected to work toward a long-term extension during the offseason. Roethlisberger recently told the Tribune-Review that he wants to retire with the Steelers, and he reiterated that yesterday.

"I keep the stance that I'm trying to stay in Pittsburgh," Roethlisberger said, adding that he hasn't heard anything in regard to a contract extension from his agents or the Steelers.

Roethlisberger, who set a handful of Steelers record last season, will play in his first Pro Bowl next month.

He is one of three Steelers players -- guard Alan Faneca and linebacker James Harrison are the others -- who will play in the Feb. 10 game.

He said he will stay in Phoenix for a couple of days but will leave before the New York Giants play the undefeated New England Patriots Sunday in Super Bowl XLII.

Two years ago, Roethlisberger became the youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl after he guided the Steelers to a 21-10 win over the Seahawks.

He said he thinks the Steelers have the foundation to return to the Super Bowl in the near future.

"I think we have a lot of the tools, and I think we have a lot of the players that are essential for us next year," Roethlisberger said. "I think there are some things that we all need to work on, myself included, and I think we'll be just fine because we have each other, and everybody we have in that room is talented and can get it done."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_550061.html

damn i was hoping they'd fight on the field lol

floodcitygirl
01-31-2008, 01:38 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_550061.html

damn i was hoping they'd fight on the field lolOh shut up. lol

The press will hype anything. Just like he said, the thing was blown way out of proportion.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-31-2008, 07:13 AM
There, all is well back in Pittsburgh land again...but what do we expect from the media especially in the offseason. Steelers news between the end of the season and the draft is hard to come by so they'll jump at anything.

Hell the next thing you know we'll be hearing about how Casey Hamptons dog made a pass at Brady's poodle and all of the sudden they'll be looking to trade Casey !

:D

JoeThomas
01-31-2008, 08:54 AM
cmon now, you know they had a fight. it will be ok. but i bet if ben asks for it, ward will be gone. cant give up the future for the past. bye bye heinz...hehe

GoBenGo
01-31-2008, 11:43 AM
"People made it way bigger than it really was, so there's no rift between Hines and I," Roethlisberger said at the Phoenix Convention Center. "We actually talked and laughed about it and joked. Hines and I have no problem."
...shocker...

Stlrs4Life
01-31-2008, 06:22 PM
There, all is well back in Pittsburgh land again...but what do we expect from the media especially in the offseason. Steelers news between the end of the season and the draft is hard to come by so they'll jump at anything.

Hell the next thing you know we'll be hearing about how Casey Hamptons dog made a pass at Brady's poodle and all of the sudden they'll be looking to trade Casey !

:D

Or Troy is being shopped around.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

cmon now, you know they had a fight. it will be ok. but i bet if ben asks for it, ward will be gone. cant give up the future for the past. bye bye heinz...hehe

Whatever, this is a team game not Bens team.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-31-2008, 06:36 PM
That's one thing about the Steelers, nobody is bigger than the team. Nobody is unbenchable and nobody is beyond criticism when they aren't playing well. We can be glad the Rooney's don't run this team like others in this league where 1 player is a God and they live and die by that players performance and attitude.

BlitzburghSouljaST
01-31-2008, 06:37 PM
WOOOO HOOOO wait go Big Ben thats waht a leader should be doing . Everything is gonna be fine this year with them two :tt02:

Stlrs4Life
01-31-2008, 06:38 PM

How soon till Winslow or Great hands Braylon start asking for Quinn to start?

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2008, 07:10 AM
Hines is at the super bowl festivities this week I believe, atleast I heard he was going to be there on ESPNRadio; if he is you can bet somebody will ask him about it and Im sure he'll have a similar answer that Ben gave.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-01-2008, 01:10 PM
This whole thing between Ben and Ward was over blown from the start.....I knew things would be fine between the two.....But Hines has been different since winning Super Bowl MVP...He is still a warrior on the field and thats all that matters....It just seems Hines has become another drama queen WR at times..........

TampaSteelGirl
02-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Oh shut up. lol

The press will hype anything. Just like he said, the thing was blown way out of proportion.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-02-2008, 07:07 AM
This whole thing between Ben and Ward was over blown from the start.....I knew things would be fine between the two.....But Hines has been different since winning Super Bowl MVP...He is still a warrior on the field and thats all that matters....It just seems Hines has become another drama queen WR at times..........

He's become more outspoken on things as the years have gone on that's for sure. He'll still do the right thing, be a team player, and score TD's and you're right that's all that matters but he's definitely become more bold in the last few years in his press statements.

manofsteel
02-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Hines is great Santonio is very good do we need a tall wr Yessssss we do. but he has to have good hands too. Haha any body take a look at Plax in NY he is doing very well. Him and Ben only had one year together imagine if they had a few.

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-04-2008, 03:40 PM
one good season doesn't prove anything ...Plexiglass is a biatch with no heart :2cents:

manofsteel
02-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Yeah no heart Yeah right. All year injury barely praqcticed cause of it and plays all season. Yeah again no heart yeah right

steelcityrockers
02-04-2008, 09:31 PM
He is tough, but Plexiglass will still give up on some throws.