PDA

View Full Version : Why Mrs. Swiss Hates the Steelers..

swissvale72
01-27-2008, 10:10 AM
from the attic, dusted off...

WHY MRS. SWISS HATES THE STEELERS
By SWISSVALE 72

She finally said it last week; I knew it was coming. “I sure hope the Steelers don’t win the Super Bowl next year. You’re f***in’ ridiculous.”

I’m sure it had its roots in our respective upbringings.

I was born in a steel mill town….Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
She was born in a shoe mill town…Lawrence, Massachusetts

I was a barber’s kid
She was a PK (…that’s Preacher’s Kid, for the majority of you heathens that populate this board)

My dad took me to Pittsburgh cultural events….Pirate baseball at Forbes Field, Diamond Belt Boxing at the Civic Arena, dropped me off at Pitt Stadium for Steeler games when I was 10.
Her dad took her to Massachusetts cultural events….museums, symphonies….

Digression #1: I went to the symphony once in Pittsburgh: Allman Brothers Symphony at the Civic Arena in ‘74

While her dad was praying, “Dear Lord….we give you thanks….”
My Dad was screaming, “Smear his f***in’ ***,” as L.C. Greenwood chased Ken Anderson.

Digression #2: My dad was actually careful about the F-bomb. The first time, I heard him drop one was when I was 18, talking about one of his Knights of Columbus colleagues, Ross Cioppa…”Ross, that brownnose f***er,” he blurted out one night when he and my mom were sitting on the front porch. “Tony, what did you say,” said Mom. “I…I….I , said Ross was a brownnoser, Mary….that’s what I said.” “No you didn’t, “ scolded Mom. Meanwhile, I was engaged in a serious case of LMFAO…..good luck with this one, Dad!!

We got married with her thinking that this Steelers thing would get better. Truth is, I’ve gotten worse…..much worse.

Maybe Mrs. Swiss hates the Steelers because I sat and watched a Steelers-Cowboys pre-season game in the midst our honeymoon in 1980.

Maybe Mrs. Swiss hates the Steelers because I made her sit with my Patriots friend, Stupid Charlie, during an ’81 overtime victory, won on a Bradshaw-Swann TD pass. Surely, I thought, this will make her a fan. “Don’t ever do this to me again, “ she exclaimed….thoroughly embarrassed by the behavior of Stupid Charlie.

Maybe Mrs. Swiss hates the Steelers because I made her drive back from Pittsburgh in a 1987 November snowstorm, while I watched the Steelers (…lose to the Saints) in my newly purchased 5” B&W car TV.

Maybe Mrs. Swiss hates the Steelers ‘cause I collaborated with my Uncle Oney to bring a TV to my grandma’s wake for the ’89 opener. (God was pissed….Steelers lost, at TRS, 51-0).

Maybe Mrs. Swiss hates the Steelers ‘cause I jumped backwards over the couch, shrieking with delight, waking the baby as Gary Anderson split the uprights to beat the Oilers in OT in the ‘ 89 Wild Card game.

Maybe Mrs. Swiss hates the Steelers ‘cause I gave my in-laws the Bum’s Rush out of the hospital room when my son was 10 hours old, knowing that was my only hope to watch the ’92 Steelers-Bills Divisional Playoff when he was 12 hours old, freshly circumcised.

Digression #3: First, and only time in my life that I believed in karma. Opened a girls’ home in the face of stiff neighborhood resistance on Thursday, Anthony was born on Friday, Steeler football on Saturday….no way we could lose….we lost!!

Maybe Mrs. Swiss hates the Steelers ‘cause I brought our family to the Rutland, VT. Holiday Inn in ’93 to watch Steelers-Browns. They picked up a Plattsburgh, NY station. All NE stations had the then ****** Patriots on. Steelers lost on a pair of Eric Metcalf punt returns. Nine-month old Anthony was screaming in the middle of the night. I was assigned to sit in the lobby with him.

Maybe Mrs. Swiss hates the Steelers ‘cause when Neighbor Susan called over during the Steeler-Patriot game in ’93, telling Mrs. Swiss that there was a fire in the woods out back, and “could Dave check it out, ‘cause Chuck’s not home,”….I said that I would do so at halftime. She objected; I told her to call the f***in’ Fire Department….that’s why they’re there.

Maybe Mrs. Swiss hates the Steelers ‘cause I consistently refer to Steelers-Browns ’94 Divisional Playoffs as the closest thing I’ve ever had to a religious experience.

Maybe Mrs. Swiss hates the Steelers ‘cause a week later, I screamed uncontrollably, “F***, F***, F***” when O’Donnell’s pass to Barry Foster was batted away, denying the Steelers a SB appearance.

Maybe Mrs. Swiss hates the Steelers “cause I did a somersault when Steelers beat the Lions at the final gun of the ’95 opener, thereby kicking 2-year-old Anthony in the nose….dropping him straight to the floor. That….ended the celebration prematurely….the next week though, after a Steeler TD, Anthony cried out, “Daddy…daddy….kick me in the nose again.”

Maybe Mrs. Swiss hates the Steelers ‘cause I stuffed my ears with cotton while accompanying her to a Saturday matinee performance of The Nutcracker during the ’95 Steelers-Pats game. Should have known that no ballet-goer would be talking football, but one can never be too careful with these things.

Maybe Mrs. Swiss hates the Steelers ‘cause I went to Pittsburgh on consecutive weekend during the ’97 playoffs, leaving her home with the kids to battle the Flying Squirrels

Maybe Mrs. Swiss hates the Steelers ‘cause I’m afflicted with insomnia during the season, rising at wee hours to check the PG & Trib, and am still afflicted with PEIS (Post-Euphoria Immersion Syndrome). Prognosis is poor, condition….terminal.

I gladly accept my fate, though. STEELERS….GOT FIVE!!!

JoeThomas
01-27-2008, 10:59 AM
whos mrs. swiss? haha.

GoBenGo
01-27-2008, 12:16 PM
:lol: I enjoyed reading this:yellowthumb:

yinzer
01-27-2008, 03:30 PM
I think Mrs. Swiss and Mrs. Yinzer must be related!!! LOL

steelersgal86
01-28-2008, 07:15 AM
Very interesting!!! Being a Steelers fan I can see alot of this happening...but your grandma's wake:scratch: that might be pushing it!!!!

swissvale72
01-28-2008, 08:17 AM
Very interesting!!! Being a Steelers fan I can see alot of this happening...but your grandma's wake:scratch: that might be pushing it!!!!

She was 95...guess that doesn't make any difference, huh? Gotta agree with you though...God was obviously pissed that day.

Get this, my stupid nephew, who's a big-time Steelers fan, got married last October...on a Sunday:banging: Turned out to be the day of the Sunday nighter against Denver....had a TV wheeled into the reception...but once again....didn't go our way.

May run 2 related pieces soon.....one's on "Family Gatherings," the other is on "Taping Steeler Football."

steelersgal86
01-28-2008, 08:19 AM
She was 95...guess that doesn't make any difference, huh? Gotta agree with you though...God was obviously pissed that day.

Get this, my stupid nephew, who's a big-time Steelers fan, got married last October...on a Sunday:banging: Turned out to be the day of the Sunday nighter against Denver....had a TV wheeled into the reception...but once again....didn't go our way.

May run 2 related pieces soon.....one's on "Family Gatherings," the other is on "Taping Steeler Football."

:nono: no age does not make a difference...well was she a steeler fan?

Also at the wedding...that I would do....Wedding is okay...:yellowthumb:

swissvale72
01-28-2008, 09:03 AM
:nono: no age does not make a difference...well was she a steeler fan?

Also at the wedding...that I would do....Wedding is okay...:yellowthumb:

Nah....she could barely speak English. Plus, she harbored a number of prejudices....against blacks & jews particularly. Lived the majority of her life in East Liberty, but never really left the Old Country. Lost her husband when she was in her '40s, basically wore black for the next 50 years.

I would take my summer vacations at her house....pack my clothes in a paper bag, off to East Liberty for two weeks. Every Sunday, were parades from the Italian church, all these dagos (I can say that...it's me) running up, pinning dollars bills on statues of the Virgin Mary....quite the scene.

vtwin_gary
01-30-2009, 10:45 AM
great piece, i'm not sure if i want my wife to read it.
on one hand she'll see there is at least one fan worse than me...
on the other hand it can still get worse.
hmmmm

ejsteeler
01-30-2009, 11:41 AM
That's funny. Funnier still since I knew the Ciopa's....

Andalusi
01-30-2009, 03:28 PM
:eek1: I am amazed you are still married! Well at least you know she loves you :lol:
This was really funny to read. The part about hitting your son on the nose was my favorite.
I would watch a Steelers game during my honeymoon if I ever get married. And I do admit I took a small palm sized tv to a wedding. I didn't bring it out until the reception and we had the most popular table because all the guys kept stopping by to ask about the score.

Stlrs4Life
02-23-2009, 10:13 PM
LOL, pretty good story!

Callax
07-31-2009, 03:55 PM
great piece, i'm not sure if i want my wife to read it.
on one hand she'll see there is at least one fan worse than me...
on the other hand it can still get worse.
hmmmm

I agree...
I think my fiance' remembers me walking around the house calling fred taylor every name you could think of when he ran for 234 yards and 3 TD's, 3catches 14 yds and a TD against Pitt. on 11-19-00,
I don't think she ever thought she would ever hear those words come out of my mouth and I didn't either... that PUTZ!!!!

LSWANNFAN88
07-31-2009, 04:00 PM
Super funny article.

luvdemstillers
01-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Anthony is one tough young man, taking one for the team and then volunteering for more.

SteelJunkie
01-03-2011, 11:57 PM
I have been that bad. I have missed tons of funerals for a Steeler game. I know that over the 14 years I have been married I have drove my wife nuts. However she never says anything to me about my Steeler addiction because she knows no matter how long we are together she may win the war, but that battle she better never fight because it would be over faster then a road runner fart. :)

jpele
01-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Good read, lucky for me Mrs. jpele loves the Steelers and my entire family knows better than to schedule anything during game days.

Farrior Fan
05-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Good read, lucky for me Mrs. jpele loves the Steelers and my entire family knows better than to schedule anything during game days.

same here, if we HAVE to go to my mother in laws she knows that the game will be on upstairs and if we are losing there will be curse words yelled. My wife is luckily a huge Steelers fan as well and hates when we are losing, the only time I will cuss in front of the kids.

Bucsfan4ever
05-16-2011, 07:35 AM
That's funny! :lol: We have the opposite situation here...My husband hates football. He has control of the remote all year EXCEPT my 17+ weeks of football...he is then assigned to the small TV in the bedroom to watch his westerns or whatever!!! :greengrin: