PDA

View Full Version : Ward blindsided by Big Ben's comments

Koopa
01-25-2008, 02:31 AM
i told y'all ben was a dumb **** for crying for a tall wr, now he hurt our now injury prone wr's feelings.......... i hope this doesn't tear apart the team :lol:

and hines is right, height is the most overrated thing ever, he didn't say that, but it's pretty much what he means

Hines Ward spends his time these days at home in Atlanta, recovering from postseason surgery on his right knee. A different kind of hurt was delivered by his own quarterback last week.

Ben Roethlisberger called for the Steelers to acquire a tall wide receiver, specifically to help inside the 20 and for a bailout target when he's under pressure. He said he had that with 6-foot-5 Plaxico Burress, but not since after the 2004 season.

"I'm always going to ask for a tall receiver," Roethlisberger said in an interview with the Post-Gazette. "That's just me. Our receivers are unbelievable, but our tallest guy might be Hines. Or Santonio [Holmes]. Hines is going to say he's 6 foot, but he's 5-11."

That stung Ward, the most decorated Steelers receiver in history.

"I don't hear Tom Brady or Peyton Manning asking for that," Ward said yesterday.

"I don't know, whatever he says. I have no idea. To me, it's a rare combination of receivers out there who are good and tall. We won a Super Bowl, we didn't have a tall receiver then. I don't see Tom Brady caring about who's tall or not. He got Randy this year, but he did it before without him.''

Randy Moss, who is 6-4, is Brady's first good, tall receiver in New England, which is trying to win its fourth Super Bowl in the past seven seasons. Moss joined the team this year after a trade and set an NFL record with 23 touchdown receptions.

Reggie Wayne, one of Manning's stable of Indianapolis Colts receivers, led the NFL with 112 receptions and 1,510 yards this season. Like Ward, he is listed at 6 feet. So, too, is Marvin Harrison, who long has been Manning's favorite receiver.

"To me, I have enough problems to worry about than what Ben wants -- I can't give him the contract,'' Ward said, referring to Roethlisberger's wish to have a contract extension as soon as possible. "He wants a tall receiver? Why did we draft Santonio?"

Holmes, who stands 5-11, led the Steelers with eight touchdowns and 942 yards receiving last season, on 52 catches. His 18.1 yards per catch were higher than any of the top 50 receivers in the NFL. Ward led them with 71 receptions despite playing much of the season with a sprained knee and caught seven touchdown passes. Nate Washington, who stands 6-1, was third with 29 catches.

"I don't buy into height,'' said Ward, one of four finalists for the NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year award that will be chosen next week. "Look at my red-zone touchdowns -- I have as many as anyone in the league.''

Since 2002, Ward is tied for second in the league in percentage of touchdowns in the red zone, described by the NFL as inside the 20. Moss is first with 36 percent and Ward, Harrison and Terrell Owens are tied with 33 percent.

That's why Roethlisberger's appeal for a tall receiver to help in the red zone hurt Ward, who holds most Steelers receiving records to go along with his four Pro Bowl appearances and a Super Bowl MVP award.

"In the red zone, it's nice to have a guy like that,'' Roethlisberger said of wanting a taller receiver. "Obviously, we have a guy like Nate who can jump out of this world, he can jump so high. It's nice to have that.

"But to have a big guy who can create mismatches -- the same thing happened when Plax was here. So much presence went to Plax's side just because he's a big, good receiver, that Hines was always open or Antwaan [Randle El]. I just think it would open stuff up for us a lot more."

Said Ward, "I don't buy into the hype you have to be tall.

"You throw the ball up and give somebody a chance to make a play, I'll make as many catches as anyone.

The Steelers do have two tall receivers in 6-5 Heath Miller and 6-7 Matt Spaeth, both tight ends.

"If Ben wants a tall receiver to make him feel comfortable or whatever, maybe the organization will get him one,'' Ward said.

"To me, I like the four guys we have. This is Ben's first year with [coordinator] Bruce Arians, and he had a tremendous year, a Pro Bowl year. I think he's coming into his own. We have weapons, let's gel together a couple more years and let's see what happens.

"If they go and get a tall receiver in the first round, someone's got to lose a job. Now we had all these weapons around us, now what are we going to do?

"I was here with me, Plax and Antwaan; we had three deadly weapons. Did that win us a Super Bowl? No, the year we won the Super Bowl we had me, Antwaan and Cedrick Wilson. If there's a formula for bringing a tall guy in to win, I don't buy that."

He also did not buy Roethlisberger's opinion that because the 6-5 quarterback was throwing down to his smaller receivers, they got "killed" on occasion reaching up for passes. Roethlisberger said he'd like to throw to someone tall who is on his plane.

"A lot of that has to do with technique,'' Ward said. "If he wants to say it's height or whatever or he didn't see me -- I've caught 719 balls. I don't think me being short had anything to do with catching those balls.

"That's his opinion. Even with Plax and Kordell [Stewart], I would be wide open in the red zone, but people get enamored of tall receivers -- 'I have to throw it to him, throw it to him.' Tom Brady looks at coverage. Me, I'd take a guy who will scratch and claw and do anything to get the ball rather than go with height."

Ward had surgery on his right knee Jan. 9 to repair a torn meniscus and said he will be good as new in about four weeks. He said the MCL and PCL in his right knee were torn Sept. 23 against San Francisco, causing him to miss two games. The meniscus was torn at St. Louis Dec. 20. He missed the season finale in Baltimore, then had his most productive playoff game with 135 yards on 10 catches in a loss to Jacksonville.

"I played all year on that one knee," Ward said. "As time went on, the knee got worse because I never let it rest ... That's why I didn't practice on Wednesdays and Thursdays, we were trying to let the PCL heal."

Ward said he talked to coach Mike Tomlin and his trainers about the option of surgery during the season vs. the risk of playing and making the knee worse. He preferred to play.

He said he'd like to play another three or four years and noted that at age 32 come March, he's only one year older than Burress, who turns 31 this year, and Moss; the same age as Torry Holt, and younger than Owens (34), Harrison (35) and Isaac Bruce (35).

"I have three, four good years left, I would like to think,'' Ward said.

"All these other guys are playing 12, 13 years and still going strong. Why can they go strong and 'Hines Ward will be the one to fall off.' I never could fathom that.

"There will always be question marks around me because I'm not the prototypical guy, not flashy. But I've shown you what I can do when they pass the ball."

"I was here with me, Plax and Antwaan; we had three deadly weapons. Did that win us a Super Bowl? No, the year we won the Super Bowl we had me, Antwaan and Cedrick Wilson. If there's a formula for bringing a tall guy in to win, I don't buy that."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08025/852112-66.stm

AZ_Steeler
01-25-2008, 02:35 AM
They'll kiss and make up before training camp! :bigthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-25-2008, 03:35 AM
It will blow over if it hasn't already. Im sure Ben saw the article and has contacted Hines about it. Hines is right though, Brady doesn't gripe about how big his WR's are he just wants guys that will catch the ball no matter what. Im sure Ben was probably saying that whole thing as tongue n cheek but even if he wasn't he's got 2 big targets in Heath and Matt as it is.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
01-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Good Read, Thanks.

Yea Ben and Hines seem like to good of friends for this to turn into any big distraction, i'm sure they've already hashed it out.Hines and the rest of the recievers are all close so they get pretty disturbed at the idea of some new guy coming in and pushing one of them out.Me personally would have no problem watching Ced and Ried go for some new talent.

NOVA STEELERS
01-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Good Read.................. But like always I am sure the media is trying to make something that isn't there. Ben and Hines probably have talked and are laughing about it already. I do think that height is over - rated and he has (2) two beasts in Heath and Matt if Ben is stuck on a tall option.......

BlitzburghRockCity
01-25-2008, 09:52 AM
In the offseason the media takes every tidbit and runs with it. We don't know for sure what else Hines might have said. It may have ticked him off at first because Im sure these guys are still not happy about being ousted in the first round and football talk in general probably isn't real high on their priority list right now.

GoBenGo
01-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Said Ward, "I don't buy into the hype you have to be tall.
what you say when you're 5'11":greengrin:
Hines is a beast not of this earth...he brings a tenacity not found on the O side of the ball...can't quite get on board with his"I like the 4 we have now" musing...a big threat would take the pressur of him and blow his numbers up...ala stalworth,welker, douchemenzaidiah,etc
:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

....in other news: GOBENGO named starter!!!!!!!!:yellowthumb:
:cope::cope::cope::cope::cope::cope::cope:

steelcitysfinestXL
01-25-2008, 10:57 AM
This is a good read!!! Hines has a point but to all those that said "Tom Brady dont complain about his WRs!!!" BULLSHIAT, Brady whined all off season until they started signing all those players... he whined when Branch got let go... whined when after last season saying he wanted better wr's!!! Peyton whined when it cam time to give up one of the Big three and Edge was let go... I mean come on every QB pisses and moans when they lose/want a FA...

This isnt stupid on bens part at all, franchise Qbs make statements like this yearly... Hines is a prideful guy, he is always trying to keep that chip on his shoulder!!! And thats what i think he was doing!!!

IMO, we need a guy to stretch the field, a bonafied deep threat i dont care if he is 6'11 or 4'5''. Hines is a great possesion guy who is probley the best at knowing where the sticks are and getting past them. Holmes IMO is a good deep threat but he is better served on quick routes, get the ball in his hands in space and let him create after the catch. I'd like to get a guy who gets off of ceverage quickly and runs great veritcle routes. You dont have to be tall to do that just strong and fast!!! I'd like to get Bernard Berrian in FA, he would be our tallest WR at 6'1-6'2 and he is a "deep threat" with his speed!!!

Forged in Steel
01-25-2008, 11:07 AM
I think Ben is right. Hines is awesome but the Steelers also need a Plaxico type WR.

black an gold 4 life
01-25-2008, 12:27 PM
what an dumb a**, the recievers should b crying 4 an accurate q.b who knows how 2 deliever the ball, u get tired of running deep routes only 2 have the ball under thrown, u get tired of making circus cathes all the time:cursin:
if ben can only throw on target 2 6-5 recievers, well that speaks 4 itself, he should of handle this in house not n the gazette what an dick:cursin:memo 2 ben get some arm strength,an learn 2 b an more accurate passer,learn when 2 throw an fade pass not an rope like u did 2 ced in the superbowl,:cursin:u have some nerves ben learn 2 hit the recievers n stride...................what an dumb a**

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08025/852112-66.stm[/QUOTE]

steelcitysfinestXL
01-25-2008, 03:35 PM
what an dumb a**, the recievers should b crying 4 an accurate q.b who knows how 2 deliever the ball, u get tired of running deep routes only 2 have the ball under thrown, u get tired of making circus cathes all the time:cursin:
if ben can only throw on target 2 6-5 recievers, well that speaks 4 itself, he should of handle this in house not n the gazette what an dick:cursin:memo 2 ben get some arm strength,an learn 2 b an more accurate passer,learn when 2 throw an fade pass not an rope like u did 2 ced in the superbowl,:cursin:u have some nerves ben learn 2 hit the recievers n stride...................what an dumb a**

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!:scratch: :willybs::evilshake::nono:

BRICKTOWN BEAST
01-25-2008, 03:41 PM
I don't blame Ben for wanting a tall reciever What quaterback wouldn't. When you have a cornerback thats 5'11 and a reciever thats 6'5 9 times out of 10 the 6'5 guy is going to come down with the ball. Also mismatches can help the other recievers get open. Hines Ward probelly laughed at this cause people always told him he's too short and hes good at everything but not great at anything but look at him now he the toughed reciever to ever play the game and does his job as good as anybody if not better. and Brady whined his *** off when he said he wanted a franchise WR when Branch left. F$#@ TOM BRADY. and im sure Roethlisberger would rather have a better line to protect but u can never say that because there the guys that protect and who wants to protect somebody when they say u stink. its like telling a body guard you suck. But Hines and Ben are best friends it was portrayed that Ward got mad but by training camp you'll see them being best buds like they always are.

K Train
01-25-2008, 03:52 PM
el oh el

steelcityrockers
01-25-2008, 05:14 PM
Agree with Ward. The only reason a tall WR is necessary is if you have a wildly inaccurate QB.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-25-2008, 05:44 PM

Im glad Im not the only one that just did a :wtf: to this???

Black@Gold Forever32
01-25-2008, 06:25 PM
I think Hines is getting to sensitive as he gets older...Come on Hines your feelings are hurt.....What a sissy...For a guy that is as tough as Hines he shouldn't be hurt by Ben suggesting the Steelers need to add a tall WR...Hey dumbass Hines a tall WR with talent will open things up for you more and make your job easier...lol For real you talk about the media making a story bigger then it really is and for the dumbass that wrote his stupid rant bashing Ben...Get a clue you fool....You make it sound the WR's made circus catches every time..lol I hate people like that...lol For real go kill yourself please....

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

Agree with Ward. The only reason a tall WR is necessary is if you have a wildly inaccurate QB.

Yea Ben's wildly inaccurate....What were some of you watching this year for real?:lol: Is Ben the most accurate QB in the NFL....No he isn't...But to say he is wildly inaccurate is flat out wrong....

Ambridge
01-25-2008, 06:26 PM
I think before Ben opens his mouth he should first type out what he's going to say and enter it into the "Dumb-*** Meter"!!

Hey Ben!! You need to ask for a few quality offensive lineman first before anything else.

Prosdo
01-25-2008, 06:32 PM
They should all be blaming the O-line.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Funny thing is Ben didn't blame anybody or called anybody out...He just asked for the Steelers to get him a tall WR....He praised his WRs in that same article......Hines just needs to stop being butt hurt...lol For real Hines is one of my favs but this is stupid.....

Ben just misses Plax and seeing the Giants success this post-season brought back those great memories of Ben to Plax during his rookie season...lol

black an gold 4 life
01-25-2008, 06:51 PM
the truth is the truth i love my steelers but the truth is the truth ben has no arm strenght, he's not accurate all the time he throws..........he under throws his recievers alot, he make alot of bad decisions with the football that cost him more int's than he should have..........an he's always throwing n 2 double coverage, he needs 2 work on his own game b 4 he talks about getting this or that what good will tall recievers or short recievers do u if u have no line 2 protect u?.............

Black@Gold Forever32
01-25-2008, 06:57 PM
Ben threw 11 INTs this year in the regular season...Yes he threw 3 in the first half in the play-off game against the Jags...But he also was flawless in the 2nd half of that game and the Steelers even had the lead late in that game....

Of course the OL needs improvement and yes thats the biggest need heading into this off-season...But Ben didn't knock his OL or even his WRs.....He praised his WRs in that article when he asked for a tall WR...Thats all he did was ask for a tall WR....My God this is just retarded going on about this...

Plus with no time in the pocket its hard for a QB to be dead balls accurate....When a QB has no time its easier for him to just throw it up to a taller WR and let that WR go get it.....Its common sense people...lol

DIESELMAN
01-25-2008, 07:49 PM
the truth is the truth i love my steelers but the truth is the truth ben has no arm strenght, he's not accurate all the time he throws..........he under throws his recievers alot, he make alot of bad decisions with the football that cost him more int's than he should have..........an he's always throwing n 2 double coverage, he needs 2 work on his own game b 4 he talks about getting this or that what good will tall recievers or short recievers do u if u have no line 2 protect u?.............
Ben throws into double coverage because he has faith in his receivers that they will make every effort to get the ball. Granted he throws INT's at double coverage but how many times has the WR come up with the ball when thrown into double coverage? Answer: more then you realize. If Ben were to wait and work on his game before he asks for something then it will never happen. All players are constantly working on their game to get better, Ben is stepping up in the leadership role and asking for weapons that he thinks will help. I agree with BGF32, this is being blown way out of proportion, Ben has never thrown anyone under the bus, hes always complimented his offense including his OL. Ward as much as I like him needs to chill, take a deep breath and relax.

Koopa
01-25-2008, 07:59 PM
did i just read ben doesn't have arm strenght??? wow, now that's just retarded

GoBenGo
01-25-2008, 08:02 PM
this would be the proverbial mountain, previously known as a molehill

TampaSteelGirl
01-25-2008, 09:21 PM
I only believe half of what I read anyway however, I have heard that Hines is not 6ft tall. :nono: I still love him! Anyway, i'm sure if Ben did say that he didn't mean it the way the media is putting it out there. I"m sure Hines isn't hurt about what he said. Well at least I hope not. :tt02:

Koopa
01-25-2008, 09:34 PM
the media didn't really put it out there though, it was just the post gazette, it was that ed bitchette, and ben meant it the way he meant it, he probably didn't mean to hurt hines feelings, but he does want a tall wr, and there ain't no denying it............. and hines is being a little feminine here....... while i agree with most of what he says about tall wrs....... there's no real reason to get butt hurt, ben was only answering questions about the offseason

BlitzburghNation
01-25-2008, 09:40 PM
I only believe half of what I read Anyway, i'm sure if Ben did say that he didn't mean it the way the media is putting it out there. :tt02:

:ditto:
That's why I love my sirius,,,,,,, I'm always hearing actual quotes from players
instead of reading media crap "which we all know what the media does"

Like BGF32 said this is blown way outta proportion ,,,,,,,, :popcorn:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-25-2008, 09:59 PM
the media didn't really put it out there though, it was just the post gazette, it was that ed bitchette, and ben meant it the way he meant it, he probably didn't mean to hurt hines feelings, but he does want a tall wr, and there ain't no denying it............. and hines is being a little feminine here....... while i agree with most of what he says about tall wrs....... there's no real reason to get butt hurt, ben was only answering questions about the offseason

:lol:......Ed Bitchette....lol

Stlrs4Life
01-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Wow, kinda have to take Hines side here, he brings some very valid points.

K Train
01-25-2008, 11:07 PM
ben doesnt have arm strenght? lol

Iron City South
01-25-2008, 11:29 PM
Ben's Wish List

1) A Big / Tall Wide Receiver - Check :yellowthumb:

Jan. 18: Roster addition for 2008: 6'6" 235 lbs. 4.5 speed / WR Matt Trannon (released by Cardinals 9/2, from Cardinals practice squad 10/9, from Chiefs practice squad 11/8, ended '07 season on Raiders practice squad).

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+North/Pittsburgh/Transactions/2007/transjan.htm

Next?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2008, 07:06 AM
Size? check
Speed? Check

Now, can he play?? well if look at the fact that the Raiders & Chiefs have no super star WR's you could this kid had all the chances in the world to make those teams and couldn't get it done. The Cards do have good WR's so he maybe gets a pass there.

We shall see.

JoeThomas
01-26-2008, 08:34 AM
its just another example of a young player sticking it to the older one, knowing he is almost done. if ben said get rid of him guess who would be gone. id take some stock of his comments. if he wants a big wr, they might go get him one.

K Train
01-26-2008, 11:22 AM
great...another bum...i hope you all are happy that you got your 6-6 wr lol

steelcityrockers
01-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Yeah really. He was a massive underachiever at Michigan State.

TEEMONT
01-26-2008, 11:31 AM
lol....released from the Cardinals PS, and the Raiders PS.

That kids a champ. I think we're looking at Dallas BakerII

steelcityrockers
01-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Yea Ben's wildly inaccurate....What were some of you watching this year for real?:lol: Is Ben the most accurate QB in the NFL....No he isn't...But to say he is wildly inaccurate is flat out wrong....

I wasn't calling Ben inaccurate. On the contrary, he has nice touch on his throws. Really the only thing he could improve upon is his footwork. If I remember correctly, I think I said the only reason you need a tall WR is if you have an innacurate QB.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-26-2008, 11:43 AM
great...another bum...i hope you all are happy that you got your 6-6 wr lol

Yea since all have been screaming lets sign a tall bum WR....:lol:

[AutoMerged Post Below]

I wasn't calling Ben inaccurate. On the contrary, he has nice touch on his throws. Really the only thing he could improve upon is his footwork. If I remember correctly, I think I said the only reason you need a tall WR is if you have an innacurate QB.

Well I misunderstood your post then.....:yellowthumb:

TINO
01-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Sounds like someone is sensitive about his height...lol. I don't read it as Ben saying that he wants Ward replaced, which the article makes it sound like Ward is viewing it (who knows what the context really is). In fact it sounded as if Ben was ribbing him about the "He'll say he is six foot..."

As far as I know he could have been responding to a question like "If the Steelers drafted a WR what would you want in that WR...?"

SteelerFan87
01-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Hines has always been sensitive about his height. Throughout his career he's had to deal with people telling him he's to short, or he's too slow, and he uses that as a chip on his shoulder. But I think he's taking this the wrong way. Ben isn't saying he wants a tall guy to replace Hines, he wants a tall guy to COMPLEMENT Hines. Hines is a dependable guy who will catch everything thrown to him and move the chains. Ben wants to add a tall guy who can create mismatches too, though.

Also, anyone who thinks that since we have Heath and Spaeth we don't need a tall WR, that's not true. Sure Heath and Spaeth are big targets, but how high can they jump? They're TEs, so they're not as athletic as WRs. They can't provide the advantage and mismatches a tall WR can just because they're tall too.

I'd love for the Steelers to grant Ben's wish, as long as it doesn't come at the expense of OL help. I see what Plax is doing in New York and I dream of what it would be like if we still had him, with Hines and Santonio. That would be a top 3 WR corp.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Hines has always been sensitive about his height. Throughout his career he's had to deal with people telling him he's to short, or he's too slow, and he uses that as a chip on his shoulder. But I think he's taking this the wrong way. Ben isn't saying he wants a tall guy to replace Hines, he wants a tall guy to COMPLEMENT Hines. Hines is a dependable guy who will catch everything thrown to him and move the chains. Ben wants to add a tall guy who can create mismatches too, though.

Also, anyone who thinks that since we have Heath and Spaeth we don't need a tall WR, that's not true. Sure Heath and Spaeth are big targets, but how high can they jump? They're TEs, so they're not as athletic as WRs. They can't provide the advantage and mismatches a tall WR can just because they're tall too.

I'd love for the Steelers to grant Ben's wish, as long as it doesn't come at the expense of OL help. I see what Plax is doing in New York and I dream of what it would be like if we still had him, with Hines and Santonio. That would be a top 3 WR corp.

Great post....I agree with everything you wroste in this post....From the mismatches to your points on the TEs.......To not neglecting to the OL...

buccaneers#1fan
01-26-2008, 04:41 PM
well i think ward is really good.you dont have to be tall to be a good reciver.but they probaly do miss plax.he is a big reason giants made it this far.but with holmes and ward.i dont know what big ben is crying about.i would love to have both of them on the bucs and im sure garcia would not care about the hieght. lol

Mike Tomlin
01-26-2008, 05:15 PM

Exactly! That big receiver would stretch the D and take some of those hits away from Hines. You gotta be a Grown Man to go in the middle of the field, take hits from linebackers every other catch and smile about it. Then come right back and blow him up on a run play. We can't allow Hines to keep taking these hits the same way we can't afford to let Ben keep taking them. Hines gets hit way more than the average receiver because of his routes alone , then Ben seems to throw high over the middle and that's rough on a receiver old or not.

If we can find a tall guy thats fast enough to stretch the field and can catch the few passes that will be thrown his way why not. Hines willl make anybody better just at look at what he did for Holmes. Routes and run blocking, Holmes had everything else. If we find our guy outside the Draft I think Bubba Caldwell could be our next Hines. He about 5'11 207 with speed, he can throw the ball and he has good hands and he runs the ball well just like Hines. This is after we address the OL and DL but if he's still there at a good pick I say we should take him. He may address our Punt return problems and push Ced out the door.

SteelerMatt
01-26-2008, 05:54 PM
they will be alright

[AutoMerged Post Below]
big receiver would help us out