PDA

View Full Version : What was the point in signing Davenport?

AZ_Steeler
09-24-2006, 07:15 PM
Najeh has been a Steeler now for 2 weeks and has yet to play a snap. What was the whole purpose in signing him? I thought he was going to be the big back the Steelers wanted to replace the Bus? So far I don't even think he's played a down!

What's the deal with him? Are they saving him as an emergency back in the game or are they actually planning to use him at some point this season? :scratch:

Friday133
09-24-2006, 07:16 PM
i think it takes awhile to learn the offense. but really where would you have played him today? i thought the running game was outstanding. ben and the passing game were the problem today.

PITT23
09-24-2006, 07:18 PM
i think it takes awhile to learn the offense.
But they could just tell him run to the right andwe'll give you the ball when we're on the 2 yard line and he'll know what to do. I agree AZ, he needs to see atleast a few carries.

AZ_Steeler
09-24-2006, 07:18 PM
You're right, he wasn't needed today because the running game looked good, but he's going to need to get some snaps at some point? Plus I think the only play he's going to be running is a HB Dive so I'm not sure how hard that is to learn.

Koopa
09-24-2006, 07:23 PM
yeah he probably still trying to learn the offesne....plus what's the point right now...willie pounded it in pretty good for 2 tds and a couple first downs i remember.......so i'm not to mad about him not being used right now...aside from his stupid fumble haynes hasn't done to bad either

Steelersfan
09-24-2006, 07:26 PM
The point is to get him some playing time. There were times today where they could have gotten him the ball. Least a few times. He must know some plays after being here 2 weeks. If he doesn't cut him and get Reid on the team!

Koopa
09-24-2006, 07:27 PM
why cut him?? cut duce...cut wilson...cut coc....cut cowher lol

Steelersfan
09-24-2006, 07:28 PM
Why cut him? Because he has carried as many time as Duece.....lol The roster moves this year have just made me scratch my head at times.

Friday133
09-24-2006, 07:29 PM
cut cowher, lol. i have no problem with davenport not getting into the game yet. although i do think we need to dress willie reid. its really a catch 22 at this point.

PITT23
09-24-2006, 07:35 PM
Willie might have done well today but Haynes didn't and Dav. could have played in the downs that haynes did...3rd and short. And I'm sure he'd hold onto the ball too.

AZ_Steeler
09-24-2006, 07:35 PM
Good thing there is a bye week coming up next week. The Steelers can regroup and reevaluate the current roster and Ben can get back on track somehow... Hopefully when the Steelers come back on Sunday night against the Chargers they will be a completely different team by then. Plus Najeh will have a month of learning some of the plays by then so hopefully he'll start to see some carries because Willie had 31 today. He may be young and able to recover from a work load like that but after 13-14 games all those carries will start to finally show.

Koopa
09-24-2006, 08:04 PM
cut cowher, lol. i have no problem with davenport not getting into the game yet. although i do think we need to dress willie reid. its really a catch 22 at this point.

i think we need to dress willie....have you seen our punt return game??? willie is a straight up punt returning machine....these two dudes we use did some punt returning in their college careers but did nothing special....willie made a name for himself returning punts lol

BlitzburghRockCity
09-24-2006, 09:34 PM
I agree totally, it takes time to learn the offense but on 4th and short or at the goal line just give it to the big man. This is 2 weeks in a row where he had chances to get some work and we didn't let him.

Friday133
09-24-2006, 09:52 PM
I agree totally, it takes time to learn the offense but on 4th and short or at the goal line just give it to the big man. This is 2 weeks in a row where he had chances to get some work and we didn't let him.

but parker got the job done, didn't he? i don't understand why you would want to put him in other than he's a "big back".

BlitzburghRockCity
09-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Yes Willie got the job done, he was awesome today ! He's delivering every chance he gets...but if we signed Najeh to be a contributor on this team, you can rest willie here and there just give Najeh some carries to see how he's gonna do. Verron is the 3rd down back and he's good in that role, but if we sign a guy we outta atleast get him a few snaps when the running game is on fire like it was today. :)

AZ_Steeler
09-24-2006, 10:06 PM
You gotta look at Najeh as basically a rookie for the Steelers. Yes he has NFL experience but he is new to the team. We were all anxious to see how Holmes and Reid was going to be and we have seen them play now so we know what to expect from them. Since Najeh hasn't played we don't know really who he is and how he's going to help the Steelers. Today would have been an awesome day to get him there, especially on like a 2nd and short or something... The dude needs some reps and he sure as hell isn't getting them sitting on the bench!