PDA

View Full Version : NFLN and you....not such a happy place to be?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-18-2008, 06:32 AM
I have the NFLN, I watch it regulary on sunday's after the games, and actually I watch it more during the off season to get news about mini camps, training camps, draft, combine, etc. but during the season everybody and their brother has coverage so they aren't the only game in town covering our sport like they are in the offseason.

I like the network, I enjoy the replay's big games, and I definitely like the shows like Total Access and the sunday night highlights with Rich, Deion, and Mooch more than ESPN.

Having said that what they are doing to try and stick it to the consumer and the cable/satellite companies who won't carry it because it's too expensive; by blacking out more and more games every year to try and force providers to carry it is bogus. Games have always been free on local TV but if the NFLN has anything to say about that won't be the case in the future and you can say good bye to the DTV having sole access to Sunday Ticket because the cable companies will get that too.

I just think it's a bunch of **** that the NFL is so monopolized that if you don't have it "their" way then pretty soon you won't have it at all.

http://www.puttingfansfirst.org/pubs/Dont_expect_any_fa.cfm

Don't expect any 'favors' from NFL Network

January 5, 2008
Star Tribune (MN)
Letter to the Editor by Willie Wood

To the Editor:

Your recent news coverage ("NFL agrees to 3-way telecast of Patriots game," Dec. 26 and "NFL serves itself by showing game," Dec. 27) failed to point out that the NFL will continue to block access to games next year and in the future as long as the league takes games off of free TV to inflate the value of its NFL Network.

For the last two years the NFL has blacked out eight games in secondary markets in an attempt to force all cable and satellite customers to pay for the NFL Network. And even though the NFL buckled this week and allowed the Patriots-Giants game to air on broadcast TV, league executives have made clear that they merely live for another day. The NFL already has unsuccessfully lobbied lawmakers in a number of states and in Washington asking them to force this deal on consumers, They're backing it up with a $100 million public relations campaign, declaring war on any cable company that wants to put the network on a sports tier that allows only those fans who want the extra few games to subscribe to them.

The entire saga has reminded us that we can love the game and its players while guffawing at those smarmy executives who will think nothing of driving up the cost to average families of enjoying the game. That kind of greed can only be characterized as unsportsmanlike conduct.

Willie Wood
Washington

FORMER GREEN BAY PACKERS SAFETY AND MEMBER OF THE PRO FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME

Prosdo
01-18-2008, 09:02 AM
You know to be honest I really don't watch NFL Network during the season. I think their best programming is during the off-season with the combine, In Their Own Words, America's Game, and shows like that.

dick rasile
01-18-2008, 10:51 AM
It's seems that once again the fan is getting sacked and this time the one time wonderful NFL is a true percipient in this scam to charge the fan extra money to watch a selected football game. The league along with a $100 million public relations campaign of the NF network are declaring that's it's the cable company's fault. The NF network is doing a real job of convincing some fans, politicians and of course the worthless Federal Communication Commission that we need to pay more.
There are many simple facts that are being overlooked. Of course the number one fact is how cable subscribers already are paying around 100 bucks a month for cable. Much of this goes to support or cover the cost of carrying channels that are not very popular. I don't need to mention them because there are just to many to list. In fact a hell of a lot of them would never be seen if the cable subscriber had his choice.
I live in the Cleveland Broadcast Area and if you know anything about football and TV broadcasting then you'd know that thanks to the hated Art Modell and the notoriously huge stadium the Browns played their games in back in those early days they couldn't sell enough seats to satisfy the old Jew so he and the upstart NFL put in the blackout rule. I didn't mind because I was getting my games over the air either from Youngstown, Pittsburgh or West Virgina.
I happen to be in what Warner Cable calls Northeastern Ohio Area and even though I'm closer to Youngstown they don't carry any of the Youngstown stations.
You need to understand how Cleveland is full of pricks who simply hate any team that kicks there butts, well true to their form they are so envious that they black out the Fox games when the Browns are on CBS.
Put all this aside I contend that if the NF network wishes to join the game they should join in during the bidding process instead of being allowed to jump in after contracts were awarded. There is something fishy going on and I feel that it involves everyone from the top of the NFL right down to local team owners. This could be called collusion or price fixing in some circles and I believe that the League is getting close to the edge.
The Bush People will be leaving next year and the FCC will change and I hope they can get some people seated who are more consumer oriented then big business.
I know there is little we fans can do other then Email the Politicians and the FCC.
Here’s an easy way to do it. FIND THE NFL NETWORKS WEB SITE, THEY HAVE A STANDARD FORM FOR FOOLS TO SENT TO CONGRESS.
DELETE THE STANDARD MESSAGE AND TYPE IN YOUR OWN COMMENT. SOMETHING LIKE ( STOP IT NOW) don’t cuss because it offends our religious politicians.
WHEN YOU CLICK TO SEND IT WILL GO TO EACH OF YOU SO CALLED LAWMAKERS.
If we flood the bastard with Email maybe we can slow their server down enough that they’ll have to listen to us.
Here’s the site http://iwantnflnetwork.com/

Stlrs4Life
01-19-2008, 11:25 AM
1 main reason that the NFL is terrible and and 1 of Americas most Greedy Companies.