PDA

View Full Version : Willie Parker and the stable of RB's

BlitzburghRockCity
01-18-2008, 07:16 AM
OK, IMHO here Willie isn't as overrated as many people think. Let's analyze this here for just quick second.

2005 - Willie is splitting carries with Jerome on their way to the super bowl, still young and learning his craft. 255/1,202 yds. 4 TD's

2006 - He's on a team that totally collapses for the first 8 games of the season and then gets it back together for the 2nd half. Ben is getting killed, has no time to throw the ball, the offensive line is really showing signs of degredation. 337/1,494 yds 13 TD's

2007 - The offensive line is horrific, Ben is getting killed again, injuries to key players, it's a transition time on this team with new coaches and a new offense. 321/1,316 yds 2 TD's.

My point is here that Willie gets the job done on teams that for 2-3 years he's been taking a significant amount of carries for have been underachieving and falling apart in key areas. He's not a Jerome Bettis, he's not a smash runner, that's not what this team is anymore. The days of Franco, Bam, Foster, and Jerome are gone now. This team is a pass to set up the run, a mirror image of what the Colts offense is.

Having said that does Willie need to work on things? of course he does !

-stop the fumbling
-learn to see the field better
-learn to use his FB better
-learn to adjust his style to suit field conditions; you can't always cut hard and make pivots on a dime in a swamp.

He does need to share carries more with Davenport or possibly even Russel too. This team maybe considers getting another RB in the draft unless they are happy with Russel. If they are then get the kid more carries. Willie can't be having so many carries heading into the playoffs because if he does go down we see the scenario that unfolded this year with the starting jobs going to a bunch of guys that rarely see the ball. Willie isn't perfect but he's not the overrated schlump that some thing he is. If this kid gets an offensive line that can run block worth a **** and he continues to improve his game, the sky is the limit.

Prosdo
01-18-2008, 10:05 AM
I do feel Willie is overrated. Does that mean I don't think Willie is good? Absolutely not. I like Willie and I think he is talented. I just think Willie is better in a 1-2 punch situation. I don't think he is an every down back and I think the Steelers need a power guy to compliment him. I don't think Najeh is that guy though.

steelcityrockers
01-18-2008, 10:33 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a 1-2 combo at ri-unning back. Maybe sign a free agent or Russell can step up as I have never been a fan of the super pooper.

GoBenGo
01-18-2008, 11:28 AM
FWP needs to be more cosistent...it was feast or famine...lot of it was the line, or lack thereof...the FB first contact should be with a LB or FS not a DL, that is the center, OG< OT job...with better line play, his numbers get more consistent, imo...still need another though, maybe like him...I thought Najeh was tougher than what he showed, maybe it was me, but he seemed soft, awkward at times..no back looked comfortable behind that line all year...russell and davis showed flashes of promise, but they did not get near enough opportunities do the job, late in games, on third and forevers, and plays from the third page...should have used them alot more in preparation for '08...give them their gameskin..

TEEMONT
01-18-2008, 11:32 AM
FWP needs to be more cosistent...it was feast or famine...lot of it was the line, or lack thereof...the FB first contact should be with a LB or FS not a DL, that is the center, OG< OT job...with better line play, his numbers get more consistent, imo...still need another though, maybe like him...I thought Najeh was tougher than what he showed, maybe it was me, but he seemed soft, awkward at times..no back looked comfortable behind that line all year...russell and davis showed flashes of promise, but they did not get near enough opportunities do the job, late in games, on third and forevers, and plays from the third page...should have used them alot more in preparation for '08...give them their gameskin..

Please explain the word consistent to me. If you gave Willie the ball this year, it was an almost guarantee'd 4 yards. He only had 11 20+ yards carries, and none of those went for over 40 yards.

Willie's problems fall on the line, not Willie.

PsychoWard
01-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Please explain the word consistent to me. If you gave Willie the ball this year, it was an almost guarantee'd 4 yards. He only had 11 20+ yards carries, and none of those went for over 40 yards.

i agree 100% i think willie has been great these last couple of years i mean what more could you ask for??? i do agree with tg though i think he does need to learn to use is fb a little better!

TEEMONT
01-18-2008, 11:53 AM
i agree 100% i think willie has been great these last couple of years i mean what more could you ask for??? i do agree with tg though i think he does need to learn to use is fb a little better!

Willie is not perfect by any means. He still has a long way to go, but considering how raw he is, I'll take him over 95% of the RB's in this league.

PsychoWard
01-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Willie is not perfect by any means. He still has a long way to go, but considering how raw he is, I'll take him over 95% of the RB's in this league.

oh yeah i agree he is not perfect! he still has a lot to learn but i think he fits in well with our offense. i also think if we ever got a half way decent line he would be absoulutely sick!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-18-2008, 11:59 AM

:ditto:

The dude does have things to work on with his game, mainly being able to see the field better and set up his blocking but he's certainly no slouch in this league and if hecan get a line to block for him he'll be putting up crazy numbers for us.

We do need more production from him in the redzone, only 2 TD's from your starting back is not a good thing; a lot of that can be attributed to the line play of course but also some of that falls on Willie for either fumbling or not seeing the blocking the way he needs to. He has this habit of just running up into the pile and falling down instead of using the field to his advantage and bouncing it outside more often in the redzone.

DIESELMAN
01-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Our OL was worse this year then last year, especially with run blocking. FWP still has a lot to learn with his vision and knowing where the holes are or should be. With the way the OL played, Davenport did look a little better at the end of the season but thats because he has more experience and is a bigger body to get through the holes that were barely there. TEEMONT has a good point, his YPC is around 4 yards and thats without any big runs to jack that up. Tomlin said he would run the wheels off of FWP and he did, but if Willie would've had a better or comparable season to 2006, a lot of critics would be silenced (not all, but a lot lol).

DIESELMAN
01-18-2008, 12:12 PM
He has this habit of just running up into the pile and falling down instead of using the field to his advantage and bouncing it outside more often in the redzone.
I think that has a lot to do with not having any confidence in his OL, I'm sure he wasn't the only one (Big Ben) :greengrin:. I still say, in losing Hoak, FWP lost valuable experience and someone who believed in him as a RB.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-18-2008, 12:40 PM
Najeh had that good game against the Rams, but even he was shut down the rest of the way out until we lost in the playoffs. You just simply can't run the ball with any consistency when your offensive line stinks! The fact that FWP was leading the league in rushing right up until he got hurt is a testament to him doing a good job inspite of no consistent blocking.

K Train
01-18-2008, 01:29 PM
alot of RBs do more with less of a line...i know you all love willie as much as you love troy so its like talking to deaf ears but hes not that great.

and saying if we feed the ball to him 3 times we were guaranteed a first down is retarded....weve done that...ive seen it fail

TEEMONT
01-18-2008, 01:57 PM
alot of RBs do more with less of a line...i know you all love willie as much as you love troy so its like talking to deaf ears but hes not that great.

and saying if we feed the ball to him 3 times we were guaranteed a first down is retarded....we've done that...ive seen it fail

Ok, I bash Troy as much as anyone else here. As a matter of fact, I bash "loved" players all the time, even when no one else does (Ben).

Name me 3 RB's who do as much or more with less of a line than Willie does. Two years ago everyone was on Larry Johnson's nuts, and then all of a sudden he has a line that sucks (still better than ours) and he is garbage. He was supposedly the best back in the league, but it was b/c his line ****ing owned.

Lines always make a back look good, its not too often when a back makes his line look good, Willie does.

Nothing is falling on deaf ears, you Willie haters just don't present a good argument.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-18-2008, 02:09 PM
I bashed Troy when he was playing like crap this year too. I kept saying that he needed to step up and play like we need him to play. I also said though that he missed a lot of time with injury and he just wasn't himself so Im hoping he comes back next year.

As far as Willie goes, look at Tomlinson too, the SD line was terrible the first half of the year then they started to play better and he began to play better. I know this because he totally bombed on my FF team the first half of the year..LOL. Najeh didn't do well in his starts except for 1 game after Willie got hurt. You just can't run the ball with a crap line no matter who it is. Willie is not perfect, we all know that, but considering the line he's had to work with the last 2 years he's done a pretty good job to this point.

K Train
01-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Ok, I bash Troy as much as anyone else here. As a matter of fact, I bash "loved" players all the time, even when no one else does (Ben).

Name me 3 RB's who do as much or more with less of a line than Willie does. Two years ago everyone was on Larry Johnson's nuts, and then all of a sudden he has a line that sucks (still better than ours) and he is garbage. He was supposedly the best back in the league, but it was b/c his line ****ing owned.

Lines always make a back look good, its not too often when a back makes his line look good, Willie does.

Nothing is falling on deaf ears, you Willie haters just don't present a good argument.

Ive ALWAYS seen larry johnson as a scrub with a HOF line....and i knew once they were all old and dying he would show what he is....same thing with willie...our line was awesome, but it sucks now and so does he.

Ronnie Brown tore **** up the first half of the season, with no passing game at all he still had alot of TDs and and a ton of yards on that disgrace of a team, then chatman couldnit do ****....point is, some RBs make their offensive line look awesome, sometimes its the other way around.

What i dont get is why you love willie so much and hate ben equally as much....your criticism is backwards lol

i cant wait until you all are screaming for a runningback next year when willie has another mediocre season and his body shuts down against a halfway decent defense in the playoffs and ends with 26 total yards and shows yet again that hes average at best...but i get what teemont means, hes good for what we have to pay for him.....cause coming cheap is all that matters :rolleyes:

AZ_Steeler
01-18-2008, 02:25 PM

:clap:

I would really like to see what Willie could do with a solid line paving the way for him,

BlitzburghRockCity
01-18-2008, 02:56 PM
The Dolphins OL is not that bad really, they just have no passing game because they have good QB and their offense was just horrific overall but their line wasn't the main issue on the team. Brown may have been doing a decent job early in the year but he had a halfway decent line, run blocking wise to help him.

GoBenGo
01-18-2008, 03:11 PM

I agree 100% with you Tee, first of all... I should have expanded on that thought...I meant we need a running game we can consistently rely on...en todo...but this team did not instill the feeling that at any given time they could just strap up and run for 4-5yds...other steeler teams have...if we have half a shiat line willie could be friggin walter payton!

TEEMONT
01-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Ive ALWAYS seen larry johnson as a scrub with a HOF line....and i knew once they were all old and dying he would show what he is....same thing with willie...our line was awesome, but it sucks now and so does he.

Ronnie Brown tore shiat up the first half of the season, with no passing game at all he still had alot of TDs and and a ton of yards on that disgrace of a team, then chatman couldnit do shiat....point is, some RBs make their offensive line look awesome, sometimes its the other way around.

What i dont get is why you love willie so much and hate ben equally as much....your criticism is backwards lol

i cant wait until you all are screaming for a runningback next year when willie has another mediocre season and his body shuts down against a halfway decent defense in the playoffs and ends with 26 total yards and shows yet again that hes average at best...but i get what teemont means, hes good for what we have to pay for him.....cause coming cheap is all that matters :rolleyes:

I criticized Ben for decision-making, and stupid off field decisions, which were both (and still are) warranted.

Willie had a mediocre season? His body shut down? He had a freak accident, on a turf field, it wasn't his body shutting down. His line making no holes against the Ravens is usually what does it for him, when it comes to only having 26 yards. No RB is going to do Pro-Bowl caliber running with a ****** line, but amazingly Willie made the Pro-Bowl, yeesh stupid fans.

The fact of the matter is Willie is the answer, whether you like it or not, he isn't the problem.

I'm still waiting for a link to see where Colbert or Tomlin said Willie isn't the man, or did you just make that up?

I do think Willie's carries need to be cut by about 5-6 a game though.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Even Jerome will tell you he wasn't very successful running against the Ratbirds. Most Steeler RB's don't have big days running against them simply because of the way they play us. In the past we couldnt throw the ball to beat them and they knew it so they would sell out to stop the run. Now we can throw to beat them but still with a crap offensive line you can only do so much regardless of what your name is or who you play for.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-18-2008, 05:17 PM
I criticized Ben for decision-making, and stupid off field decisions, which were both (and still are) warranted.

Willie had a mediocre season? His body shut down? He had a freak accident, on a turf field, it wasn't his body shutting down. His line making no holes against the Ravens is usually what does it for him, when it comes to only having 26 yards. No RB is going to do Pro-Bowl caliber running with a shiatty line, but amazingly Willie made the Pro-Bowl, yeesh stupid fans.

The fact of the matter is Willie is the answer, whether you like it or not, he isn't the problem.

I'm still waiting for a link to see where Colbert or Tomlin said Willie isn't the man, or did you just make that up?

I do think Willie's carries need to be cut by about 5-6 a game though.

Tee, I'm with you I think cutting Willie's carries down some and an improved OL will bring Willie back to the level he was at in 2006....I have no problems with Willie Parker....I probably over-rated him after the year he had in 2006 but I don't think he should be replaced or have a problem with him starting....He still had 8 100 yard games this year and even his 4.1 yards per carry was still respectable.....He didn't break many long runs this year so thats the main reason along with his blocking on why his yards per carry was so low this year...Only thing that concerned me was his TD total...It feel off from 16 total in 2006 to 2 this year....He might never match his 16 total again or his 13 rushing TDs he had in 2006 but I still think he could get 7-10 TDs a year....

I think Willie is going to work extra hard in the off-season and have a monster year next year....

Plus you know what I was thinking you know how Willie injured his knee in pre-season...I just wonder if he had a season lingering injury that bugged him all year?.....

buccaneers#1fan
01-18-2008, 10:27 PM
ive done commented on this guy before .i think he is a really good backi mean he got injured and had a bad o line and still put up good numbers. so like i already posted i think he has a 2000 yrd season. i think the steelers will adress the o line this off season and he has a bigger year this year than last.

MDSteel15
01-19-2008, 02:02 AM
:ditto:

The dude does have things to work on with his game, mainly being able to see the field better and set up his blocking but he's certainly no slouch in this league and if hecan get a line to block for him he'll be putting up crazy numbers for us.

We do need more production from him in the redzone, only 2 TD's from your starting back is not a good thing; a lot of that can be attributed to the line play of course but also some of that falls on Willie for either fumbling or not seeing the blocking the way he needs to. He has this habit of just running up into the pile and falling down instead of using the field to his advantage and bouncing it outside more often in the redzone.

This can also be attributed to the ****** play calling also. Seems like every time we got inside the 5 we were passing the ball. :scratch:

Iron City South
01-19-2008, 01:55 PM
You all know where I stand with Parker by now ... :stirpot:

Good RB ..... not great. Has the speed, but lacks too many intangibles that seperate the good backs from the great. I'm very much of the belief that we need a "Thunder and Lightning" combo. We need a power-back that runs runs hard and low and has the size and brut strength to shed blocks at the first level between the tackles then has the ability to knock a LB'er flat on his *** in the 2nd level.

One point I'd like to make: I'm not suggesting this big-back be the change of pace back to Parker either. Quite the contrary. I see Parkers break-away speed as being the change of pace back to the power back. This is a role that was meant for Parker and he will thrive in it. Let the brut pound and bang into them for the first half of the game, then unleash Parker in the 2nd half ... especially toward the end of games when the opposing defense is sucking wind. No way they'll catch his fresh legs.

Discuss ....

FC FURY
01-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Backs that fill you requirements

-J. Stewart Oregon Round 1...Most likely gone by the time the Steelers draft

-Rashard Mendenhall Illinois Round 1...Steelers could draft him...Unlikely

-Kevin Smith CFU Round 3....Possible...Unlikely

-Matt Forte Tulane Round 4....Maybe

-Ben Jarvis Ellis Round 4...I see Ellis as Barry Foster II

-Cordy Boyd S Carolina Round 5...If he can stay healthy he has a ton of upside

Late Round sleeper

Tim Hightower Richmond

TEEMONT
01-19-2008, 03:24 PM
I think Willie has proven you all wrong already. He isn't a change of pace back, he is THE back. His TD numbers would be higher, but our passing game is good inside of the 10, and there is no arguing that. He isn't Bettis, we aren't built for a Bettis-type back, anymore. The line isn't going to get the type of push we need for a big back to be effective, and big back is an overrated term anyways.

We need to address the line first and foremost, hell RB isn't even in the top 4 things that need fixed.

We shouldn't even be discussing a 1st 2nd or 3rd round pick on a RB, if they wanna take a late round chance, then fine, but day 1 or early day 2 shouldn't even be thought about.

Willie has gotten the job done, yet you all continue to bitch, when Ben stepped up and proved me wrong, I man'd up and gave him a pat on the back. You all should do the same with Willie.

steelcitysfinestXL
01-19-2008, 04:08 PM
I think Willie has proven you all wrong already. He isn't a change of pace back, he is THE back. His TD numbers would be higher, but our passing game is good inside of the 10, and there is no arguing that. He isn't Bettis, we aren't built for a Bettis-type back, anymore. The line isn't going to get the type of push we need for a big back to be effective, and big back is an overrated term anyways.

We need to address the line first and foremost, hell RB isn't even in the top 4 things that need fixed.

We shouldn't even be discussing a 1st 2nd or 3rd round pick on a RB, if they wanna take a late round chance, then fine, but day 1 or early day 2 shouldn't even be thought about.

Willie has gotten the job done, yet you all continue to bitch, when Ben stepped up and proved me wrong, I man'd up and gave him a pat on the back. You all should do the same with Willie.

WORD :plus1:

I agree willie is THE back... He gets bashed here for being the leading rusher in the league until his injury, behind a shiatty O-Line and playing on the disiaster that was Heinz Field!!!!

But, If we do get a book end like Williams or Otah in the first, i would like to see us go after Chris Johnson...

HONOLULU (AP) -- All Chris Johnson could think about after his record-setting night was how let his team down.

Johnson set an NCAA bowl record with 408 all-purpose yards, and Ben Hartman kicked a 34-yard field goal as time expired to give East Carolina a 41-38 victory over No. 24 Boise State in the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl on Sunday night.

Johnson ran for 223 yards, caught three passes for 32 yards and returned six kickoffs for 153 yards. But he committed a costly fumble late that almost sent it to overtime. It was his first fumble of the season.

"I let my team down," he said. "But when I got back to the sideline, they told me they had my back and they loved me."

Johnson made up for it with his big night.

"It feels good to end my career like this. I wanted to come out here and show the country that I am the best back in the country," he said.

This dude is a stud in all phases of his game... he is a Maurice Jones Drew type back but bigger and faster!!!! He hits holes immediatly and hits them with power to run through tacklers. He ALSO a great return guy, something we need!!! This is my idea of a contrast to parker... great receiver out of the backfield, and if you look at the article he only fumbled once all year!!!! your not sacraficing much speed at all subbing him w/ parker!!!! Speed kills!!!!! This is the running back i would take, in the 2nd... with the depth of quality Olineman we can afford to go after this dude in the 2nd to compete w/ Naj as the #2, plus he can step right in as the KR/PR!!!!

K Train
01-19-2008, 09:36 PM

I hate the term powerback, in fact i despise it, i hate the thought of everyone wanting a fat back like its some great idea...its all bullshit...the power running game, steeler smashmouth football....its all ****ing retarded.

its not a matter of me not manning up and admitting to being wrong, i used to love willie, but my thoughts of him sank this year...he didnt do get the job done, he did a job....a job of running like your average runningback...nothing special. I hope he comes out and destroys all this negativity i have towards him next year, i just dont think he will...so i'll give him a big pat on the back when he blows me away again. At the moment he is not in the top 5 RBs....and to think so is being a homer beyond belief

Koopa
01-19-2008, 09:43 PM

willie didn't prove ****, before the pats game pumped his stats, he was averaging like 3.9 yards a carry, and couldn't even get around the corner anymore, and when ppl were busting a nut at the fact that he was leading the lead in rushing ppl failed to realize it was by less then 10 yards and with over 40 more carries then anyone else in the league

i liked willie up until this season, last year he won us games, this year, we won games in spite of him, he was a total non factor this season........ so he has yet to prove me wrong, he just proves me right every time he plays, he shows why he couldn't touch the field in college, and he shows why he went undrafted, cause he'll never be a back that will be the reason we win games...... also, i've never complained about him not scoring tds, i understand that was because ben was beastly this year...... but willie still sucked, his best games were when we had an easy schedule early on

TEEMONT
01-19-2008, 09:45 PM
I hate the term powerback, in fact i despise it, i hate the thought of everyone wanting a fat back like its some great idea...its all bullshiat...the power running game, steeler smashmouth football....its all ****ing retarded.

its not a matter of me not manning up and admitting to being wrong, i used to love willie, but my thoughts of him sank this year...he didnt do get the job done, he did a job....a job of running like your average runningback...nothing special. I hope he comes out and destroys all this negativity i have towards him next year, i just dont think he will...so i'll give him a big pat on the back when he blows me away again. At the moment he is not in the top 5 RBs....and to think so is being a homer beyond belief

It's not being a homer, its being smart. Willie did a lot this year with (for the millionth time) NO O-LINE! As much as I love Faneca, even he payed below his expectations. Our line is in the bottom 3rd in the league no doubt in my mind. No RB would have done mch better than Willie did this year, running behind this line. Thats not being a homer, you know I'm not a homer, I look at things objectively, you guys are hating just to hate.

I hate blaming the O-Line, since it's where I played, but Willie's "sub-par" year falls on them.

steelcityrockers
01-19-2008, 10:29 PM
-Kevin Smith CFU Round 3....Possible...Unlikely

If "power back" is what you are looking for Kevin Smith is not it. I like him but he cannot run up the middle and has a Reggie Bush-like build. Not that I want a "power back" ( I think we in every way do NOT need one) but if we had to get a "power back" he wouldn't be it.

Willie is ok. He is of the top-15. Probably. He isn't a world beater but is good enough. Our offense would be best suited to running a 60-40 pass/run ratio anyway.

Stlrs4Life
01-19-2008, 10:36 PM
:plus1:

Iron City South
01-20-2008, 12:22 AM
I think Willie has proven you all wrong already. He isn't a change of pace back, he is THE back. Willie has gotten the job done, yet you all continue to bitch.

How many TD's has Willie had again this season? Tell me how effective Parker has been in the red zone?

yeah ..... that's what I thought .... you can sit down and wash the **** off of your face now.

:poopfan:

TEEMONT
01-20-2008, 01:13 AM
How many TD's has Willie had again this season? Tell me how effective Parker has been in the red zone?

yeah ..... that's what I thought .... you can sit down and wash the shiat off of your face now.

:poopfan:
Imagine that, you trying to mix things up and get personal.

As I have said about a million times, how many times did we throw on first second and third down in the red zone?

Our red zone passing game is pretty elite no doubt about that, we do a great job with Hines and Heath, so why mess with it, the fact of the matter is, TD's are being scored, it's just not Willie doing the scoring.

No tell me how many TD's he had last year when our passing game was ***. Tell me how effective he was in the redzone when he HAD to be.....to quote some bitch......

yeah ..... that's what I thought .... you can sit down and wash the shiat off of your face now.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-20-2008, 01:43 AM
Somehow I fail to see how Willie was so good last year and all of the sudden he sucked? I guess that means that Ben sucked last year so he was destined to suck this year? Umm, nope, he came back with a vengance in spite of his performance last year. Yeah you can see he was hurt and shouldn't have played in the first place but still his stats sucked none the less so it goes both ways here. Ben wasn't a bad QB last year and anymore than he was a good QB this year. He was good both years and he was good the year before that and he'll be good next year. Simply because he's a good QB and inspite of a line that couldn't block for him he still found ways to get the job done.

Willie found ways to get the job done last year and now this year he suddenly sucks? I just can't buy into that. Willie averaged basically 4 yds per carry this year which isn't half bad considering the crap he had blocking for him. yeah he needs to come up big in the red zone next year, I'll give you that. However remember this, our offense has changed now, Willie won't get as many chances in the red zone because we can score more ways now than we ever could before. If Willie averages 7 TD's a year in this offense then so be it as long as we are winning games and scoring in different ways. We're more diverse now with more playmakers than ever so his chances will be fewer to score and he needs to take advantage of them, I get that. Give this kid a line to block and with a year under his belt in this new scheme he'll come back next year with atleast the same amount of yards and 10 TD's. If he doesn't I'll eat the crow for it..LOL.

K Train
01-20-2008, 01:47 AM
i just hope we get the line straightened out and get an elite run game again....at least respectable would be ok with me

TEEMONT
01-20-2008, 01:54 AM
i just hope we get the line straightened out and get an elite run game again....at least respectable would be ok with me

The run game was respectable this year, despite our line. If Ben had another ****** year, then our run game would have been ****. Like I said, give Willie half the line they have in Dallas, and he hits 1600 next year.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-20-2008, 02:12 AM
Just give us a half way respectable offensive line and maybe we'll be able to keep Ben upright about 20-30 more times next year and improve the running game even more..LOL

Koopa
01-20-2008, 02:43 AM
Somehow I fail to see how Willie was so good last year and all of the sudden he sucked? I guess that means that Ben sucked last year so he was destined to suck this year? Umm, nope, he came back with a vengance in spite of his performance last year. Yeah you can see he was hurt and shouldn't have played in the first place but still his stats sucked none the less so it goes both ways here. Ben wasn't a bad QB last year and anymore than he was a good QB this year. He was good both years and he was good the year before that and he'll be good next year. Simply because he's a good QB and inspite of a line that couldn't block for him he still found ways to get the job done.

Willie found ways to get the job done last year and now this year he suddenly sucks? I just can't buy into that. Willie averaged basically 4 yds per carry this year which isn't half bad considering the crap he had blocking for him. yeah he needs to come up big in the red zone next year, I'll give you that. However remember this, our offense has changed now, Willie won't get as many chances in the red zone because we can score more ways now than we ever could before. If Willie averages 7 TD's a year in this offense then so be it as long as we are winning games and scoring in different ways. We're more diverse now with more playmakers than ever so his chances will be fewer to score and he needs to take advantage of them, I get that. Give this kid a line to block and with a year under his belt in this new scheme he'll come back next year with atleast the same amount of yards and 10 TD's. If he doesn't I'll eat the crow for it..LOL.

it's always easy to be the best player on a ****** team

DIESELMAN
01-20-2008, 11:37 AM
i hate the thought of everyone wanting a fat back like its some great idea...its all bullshiat...the power running game, steeler smashmouth football....its all ****ing retarded.

Steeler Smashmouth football is what got us 5 Lombardi's K. Must be nice to bash tradition and call it "****ing retarded" just because you don't like it or want it anymore. Granted, offenses are changing in the NFL, to a more pass oriented system, a style that we can play with, with no problem. Me personally, I grew up watching smashmouth football and I like it, I like to see LB's, S's, and CB's getting run the **** over by a big bruiser. I like to see a big RB carrying 3-4 guys on his back for 10 yards. I like seeing that more then seeing a guy break it for a 80 yard TD run. I just love a big hit, whether its by our RB or by one of our LBers. I want to see our OL get back to mauling and running mother ****ers over and when the play is over with you look back and the dude is being helped back up by a couple of his team mates. Then we line it back up and do it again. That is Steelers football and that is one of the things that used to scare other teams when they seen our name on their schedule.

Iron City South
01-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Steeler Smashmouth football is what got us 5 Lombardi's K. Must be nice to bash tradition and call it "****ing retarded" just because you don't like it or want it anymore.

Love it when a voice of reason steps in .... Too many youngsters on here want to run to the latest league trend. They act like because everyone ele went out to buy a new car, we have to keep up with the Jones' and go out and buy the same car.

Bullshit ...... the NFL is cyclical in nature .... old is the new and new is the old. The old saying , "Dance with who brung ya" should be upheld. Stay true to who you are what what made you one of the elite franchises in the league. I'm not suggesting to never change. I think tweeking here and there is part of every good strategy. Just don't abandon your ture identity and try to pass yourself off as something different to satisify the "now"

TEEMONT
01-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Love it when a voice of reason steps in .... Too many youngsters on here want to run to the latest league trend. They act like because everyone ele went out to buy a new car, we have to keep up with the Jones' and go out and buy the same car.

Bullshiat ...... the NFL is cyclical in nature .... old is the new and new is the old. The old saying , "Dance with who brung ya" should be upheld. Stay true to who you are what what made you one of the elite franchises in the league. I'm not suggesting to never change. I think tweeking here and there is part of every good strategy. Just don't abandon your ture identity and try to pass yourself off as something different to satisify the "now"

So what you are saying is Ben shouldn't e throwing for 30 TD's a year, b/c we never won a SB with a QB throwing for 30 TD's in a year.

No, no, what you are saying is Willie isn't a change of pace back, he is THE back, just like he was in 05. We had a so-called "Steeler football" back as the change of pace back. Willie was carrying the load in 05 and when he went down we had a HoF'er and Duce (who played great in the Green Bay game) to pick up the load, and make sure Willie didn't "get the wheels run off of him".

I didn't hear anyone bitching about Parker in the 05 season, about being inconsitent(he had more runs for 40+ yards boosting his YPC average), or saying he couldn't hold onto the ball(same amount of fumbles, 60+ more carries this year).

It sucks that your opinion of Willie isn't valid, but be serious, put the blame where it really belongs, on the O-Line and a valid back-up would be nice(I love Dookie, but he is just a big Willie, lol.....big Willie). Willie has come a long way in his 3 years as a starter, get off his ***.

Iron City South
01-20-2008, 01:18 PM
No, no, what you are saying is Willie isn't a change of pace back, he is THE back, just like he was in 05. We had a so-called "Steeler football" back as the change of pace back. Willie was carrying the load in 05 and when he went down we had a HoF'er and Duce (who played great in the Green Bay game) to pick up the load, and make sure Willie didn't "get the wheels run off of him".

Listen closely:

Without Bettis in '05 not only to serve as the veteran centerpiece of inspirational team leadership, but also to be the red zone guy and goal line hammer .... there was no Super Bowl. Got it? .... no Super Bowl ... period.

In fact, without Bettis telling Parker where and how to handle the 2nd level blocker in Super Bowl XL .... there was no 75 yd. run. That's right .... a few plays before it actually happened, Bettis had to tell Parker what he needed to do to beat the blocking scheme. :yesnod:

TEEMONT
01-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Listen closely:

Without Bettis in '05 not only to serve as the veteran centerpiece of inspirational team leadership, but also to be the red zone guy and goal line hammer .... there was no Super Bowl. Got it? .... no Super Bowl ... period.

In fact, without Bettis telling Parker where and how to handle the 2nd level blocker in Super Bowl XL .... there was no 75 yd. run. That's right .... a few plays before it actually happened, Bettis had to tell Parker what he needed to do to beat the blocking scheme. :yesnod:

And you're telling me this because? You think Bettis would have gotten it done by himself that year? Even Bettis in his prime wouldn't have done what Willie did. that year. It took Bettis years to get that experience.

So let me get this straight, now you are suggesting that we bring in and old, fat back to be Willie's mentor? I think he is past that. Maybe.....MAYBE a change of pace back is in order, but Willie is THE man, just like he was THE man in '05.

And I don't care what Bettis said, all Willie had to do wass follow Faneca's big *** on that play and he was gone for 75. We all saw the DVD with Bettis talking himself up.

Bettis was a role-player in '05, a very good one. If we need anything its a solid change of pace, or even just someone to lighten Willie's load.

steelcityrockers
01-20-2008, 02:03 PM
Willie Parker CAN score touchdowns. He had like 14 in 2006. We did not run it at the goal line this year.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-20-2008, 02:03 PM
Steeler Smashmouth football is what got us 5 Lombardi's K. Must be nice to bash tradition and call it "****ing retarded" just because you don't like it or want it anymore. Granted, offenses are changing in the NFL, to a more pass oriented system, a style that we can play with, with no problem. Me personally, I grew up watching smashmouth football and I like it, I like to see LB's, S's, and CB's getting run the **** over by a big bruiser. I like to see a big RB carrying 3-4 guys on his back for 10 yards. I like seeing that more then seeing a guy break it for a 80 yard TD run. I just love a big hit, whether its by our RB or by one of our LBers. I want to see our OL get back to mauling and running mother ****ers over and when the play is over with you look back and the dude is being helped back up by a couple of his team mates. Then we line it back up and do it again. That is Steelers football and that is one of the things that used to scare other teams when they seen our name on their schedule.

But how many of them Lombardi's was since the 70s?:lol:.....Only one my friend......Plus it wasn't smash mouth that got us to the Super Bowl or even won the Super Bowl for us.....The Steelers running game wasn't what carried us in those three play-off games before the Super Bowl.......Ben played very well in those three play-off games....Then looking at the Super Bowl game....It was long run by Parker and gadget play that won the game for us.....Nothing smash mouth about those plays....With out those two plays the Steelers don't win that game....

I watched all those years with Cowher and his power running game and fall short....The Steelers finally won it all in my life time with a speed RB getting the majority of the carries....Trust me I like Steelers football also......But in today's NFL its just to hard to just run the ball down the throat of every team week in and week out to win a Super Bowl.....

Look at the Jags........They're team is all about smash mouth football....But they're not playing in the AFC title game today....

BRICKTOWN BEAST
01-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Yeah im 16 years old and I would rather see a guy with 4 guys on his back running for 10 yards than a broken 80 yard run for a TD. Cause you CANT break an 80 TD every play. or every week for that matter. But when you keep pounding the rock making defenses play on the heels THATS HOW YOU RUN THE BALL. Steelers used to be a team teams were scared to play. They knew we were gonna run the ball down there throut and now people want change and be like every ohter team which is loosing our identity. dont get me wrong i love parker and he is such a great back. but he did better when bettis was pounding the ball up the middle and he had fresh quick legs and would get 20 yard runs thats how we should run the ball. not 1-2 yard gains and then he breaks one for 30 and has a couple monster games against crappy teams.

Iron City South
01-20-2008, 02:32 PM
And you're telling me this because? You think Bettis would have gotten it done by himself that year? Even Bettis in his prime wouldn't have done what Willie did. that year. It took Bettis years to get that experience.

So let me get this straight, now you are suggesting that we bring in and old, fat back to be Willie's mentor?

Do you even read or are you more concerned with how you plan on retorting to a thread? Where in this thread did I say Bettis would have gotten it done by himself? :scratch:

Moreover, other than recommending a "thunder and lightening" approach which indicates a shared workload between 2 different styles of runners, where in this thread did I suggest a one-back system?

Where did I recommend bringing an an old FAT back to be a mentor? :scratch:

I think I specifically said a big young powerback with better vision that runs low and sheds tackles at the 1st level. :yesnod:

Let's not start making things up and putting words in the mouths of others to serve your anti-powerback / pro-Parker agenda Teemont. I know you Bush following Repubs can get like that on issues. :hilarious:
(kidding of course ... but not really)

TEEMONT
01-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Do you even read or are you more concerned with how you plan on retorting to a thread? Where in this thread did I say Bettis would have gotten it done by himself? :scratch:

Moreover, other than recommending a "thunder and lightening" approach which indicates a shared workload between 2 different styles of runners, where in this thread did I suggest a one-back system?

Where did I recommend bringing an an old FAT back to be a mentor? :scratch:

I think I specifically said a big young powerback with better vision that runs low and sheds tackles at the 1st level. :yesnod:

Let's not start making things up and putting words in the mouths of others to serve your anti-powerback / pro-Parker agenda Teemont. I know you Bush following Repubs can get like that on issues. :hilarious:
(kidding of course ... but not really)

Imagine that, ICS gets personal. I know sarcasm is hard to read online, but please try. I obviously turn football subjects into "agenda's".

The main point I made is that Willie was THE man in '05. He had a "power back" as a change of pace back. Willie is THE man now, with a ****** O-line, which is the main problem, hell Willie isn't even a problem, even though you would suggest otherwise. Willie is still the man, he just needs an O-line, just like ANY back would need. You can bring your "young, power back with better vision" (what a crock) and he won't fare near as good as Willie, with this O-line, then your sorry *** will be begging for someone with more experience. Rome wasn't built in a day, neither are football teams.

Oh, look in the top 10 RB's this year, tell me how many are "powerbacks", they are dinosaurs, they are extinct. They serve one purpose, to change the pace, not to be the man. No one is going to shed tackles in the 1st level when the first level is 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

You said Willie couldn't have gotten it done without Bettis, which I disagree with. I simply said there was no way Bettis could have gotten "his" SB without Willie.

steelcityrockers
01-20-2008, 06:16 PM
How many are power backs...
LT isn't
Willie P. isn't
Jamal Lewis is
Fred Taylor is in the middle
Ryan Grant is I suppose
Marion Barber is
Adrian Peterson is
Brian Westbrook is not
Joseph Addai isnt really
Clinton Portis is in the middle

Note: These are just 10 good runningbacks, not necessarily the top-10.

K Train
01-20-2008, 08:21 PM
lets be clear on this, i like willie, im critical but i do like him, but im not critical of him like some of you old time homers are, you all want the fat back and thats wonderful...who doesnt like failure? **** fat runners, i like good runners and having another one with willie would be ****ing awesome, najeh is decent but i want the guy that in 3-4 years teams would pay big money to have him be thier starter...havning 2 of those guys would be amazing.

the smashmouth ra ra is hilarious btw

TEEMONT
01-20-2008, 08:51 PM
lets be clear on this, i like willie, im critical but i do like him, but im not critical of him like some of you old time homers are, you all want the fat back and thats wonderful...who doesnt like failure? **** fat runners, i like good runners and having another one with willie would be ****ing awesome, najeh is decent but i want the guy that in 3-4 years teams would pay big money to have him be thier starter...havning 2 of those guys would be amazing.

the smashmouth ra ra is hilarious btw

word!

DIESELMAN
01-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Plus it wasn't smash mouth that got us to the Super Bowl or even won the Super Bowl for us.....The Steelers running game wasn't what carried us in those three play-off games before the Super Bowl.......Ben played very well in those three play-off games....Then looking at the Super Bowl game....It was long run by Parker and gadget play that won the game for us.....Nothing smash mouth about those plays....With out those two plays the Steelers don't win that game....

I watched all those years with Cowher and his power running game and fall short....The Steelers finally won it all in my life time with a speed RB getting the majority of the carries....Trust me I like Steelers football also......But in today's NFL its just to hard to just run the ball down the throat of every team week in and week out to win a Super Bowl.....

Look at the Jags........They're team is all about smash mouth football....But they're not playing in the AFC title game today....

Your right, it was having a Pro bowl caliber QB that got us through the playoffs to the SB but it was also a smash mouth performance by Bettis against the Bears (100 yard second half-Totals 101 yds and 2 TD's) that sparked our 4 game win streak to make the playoffs. All those years in the Cowher era, we were missing one crucial thing....a good QB. As far as your Jags reference, I got one for ya.....Peyton Manning and his high scoring offense only made it to 1 SB in the 9-10 years he's been playing. We got to have both a passing game and a running game to be successful. I just prefer a smashmouth type of running game, either way, we need a better OL.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-20-2008, 11:09 PM
Your right, it was having a Pro bowl caliber QB that got us through the playoffs to the SB but it was also a smash mouth performance by Bettis against the Bears (100 yard second half-Totals 101 yds and 2 TD's) that sparked our 4 game win streak to make the playoffs. All those years in the Cowher era, we were missing one crucial thing....a good QB. As far as your Jags reference, I got one for ya.....Peyton Manning and his high scoring offense only made it to 1 SB in the 9-10 years he's been playing. We got to have both a passing game and a running game to be successful. I just prefer a smashmouth type of running game, either way, we need a better OL.

I remember the Bettis 100 yard game vs the Bears.......Bettis only had over 300 yards that year so he mostly was a role player.....I have said many times that the Colts finally won it all with a running game and a defense....Their running game and defense were huge last year no doubt....But still you just can't be smash mouth anymore.... You have to be well rounded in all phases of the game....

steelcityrockers
01-20-2008, 11:24 PM
Agreed.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-20-2008, 11:39 PM
I remember the Bettis 100 yard game vs the Bears.......Bettis only had over 300 yards that year so he mostly was a role player.....I have said many times that the Colts finally won it all with a running game and a defense....Their running game and defense were huge last year no doubt....But still you just can't be smash mouth anymore.... You have to be well rounded in all phases of the game....

That's exactly right, the smash mouth run it down your throat days of the NFL are gone. Today's NFL offenses have to be versatile and be able to win a game on the ground or through the air and be equally proficient doing so. The Jags tried to be what the Steelers were for so many years, a team that just runs and plays good defense but doesn't have the passing game to back it up and in the end the inexperience of Garrard and the lack of a consistent balanced attack on offense cost them.

I like where our offense is going but damnit if we don't sure up this OL we're right back at square one.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-20-2008, 11:48 PM
That's exactly right, the smash mouth run it down your throat days of the NFL are gone. Today's NFL offenses have to be versatile and be able to win a game on the ground or through the air and be equally proficient doing so. The Jags tried to be what the Steelers were for so many years, a team that just runs and plays good defense but doesn't have the passing game to back it up and in the end the inexperience of Garrard and the lack of a consistent balanced attack on offense cost them.

I like where our offense is going but damnit if we don't sure up this OL we're right back at square one.

I agree the OL needs to be fixed......If the Steelers improve their OL then the running game will be fine and we will have that physical element back on our offense....Parker won't pound defenses into the ground but you still can be a physical football team with Parker as the starter.....Plus now the Steelers have the passing game to complement the running game....Fix the OL and give the other RBs more carries to lighten Parker's load....

Running the ball will always be important and I'm not dismissing its importance...As evident today in the AFC title game...The Pats passing game wasn't hitting all cylinders and the running stepped up today for the Pats.....Maroney had an effective day on the ground.....

But all this talk going back to smash mouth is well just dated...lol I don't want to live in the past....My past with just being smash-mouth is losing AFC title games.....:lol: not winning Super Bowls like the older fans enjoyed....

BlitzburghRockCity
01-20-2008, 11:56 PM
I swear of Colbert and Tomlin follow through on this possible threat of drafting a running back in the first round then they both need to be run out of Pittsburgh. You better use that top pick on a Tackle or Center and address the protection & blocking before you start trying to add another weapon. This draft is deep enough at RB that taking one in the 1st round would make Zero sense when you have obvious needs on the DL and OL. The only way I could see justifying that is if they are able to keep Faneca or Starks and that would lessen the immediate need just enough that we could get a player for the OL and DL in the 2nd and 3rd rounds but even then I'd still be pissed off about it. It's time we get Willie, Najeh, and Ben some blocking !

Black@Gold Forever32
01-21-2008, 01:13 AM
I swear of Colbert and Tomlin follow through on this possible threat of drafting a running back in the first round then they both need to be run out of Pittsburgh. You better use that top pick on a Tackle or Center and address the protection & blocking before you start trying to add another weapon. This draft is deep enough at RB that taking one in the 1st round would make Zero sense when you have obvious needs on the DL and OL. The only way I could see justifying that is if they are able to keep Faneca or Starks and that would lessen the immediate need just enough that we could get a player for the OL and DL in the 2nd and 3rd rounds but even then I'd still be pissed off about it. It's time we get Willie, Najeh, and Ben some blocking !

Top, there isn't a center worth taking in the first round of this draft.....Really the Steelers can wait until round 3 to have their shot at the best centers in this draft class.....Not a great year for centers....But any of these centers in this draft have to be better in Mahan...lol The one center from Arizona is rising on drafts charts...But still he might be there in the 2nd round....Really this isn't a great OG draft also...So really with the depth at OT in this draft.....thats the best way to go for the OL....

As for RB....I wouldn't be against if the top OTs are gone by the time the Steelers pick.....But I would rather draft a DL or a WR in the first round if the top OTs are gone.....Plus Talib the corner from Kansas would be an interesting pick of the top OTs are gone also....

Stairwayto7
01-21-2008, 07:51 AM
I do feel Willie is overrated. Does that mean I don't think Willie is good? Absolutely not. I like Willie and I think he is talented. I just think Willie is better in a 1-2 punch situation. I don't think he is an every down back and I think the Steelers need a power guy to compliment him. I don't think Najeh is that guy though.

Prosdo, well said! Ditto! I could not agree more!:yellowthumb:

steelcitysfinestXL
01-21-2008, 02:42 PM
IMO, Parker is the back for now and years to come!!! You dont put yards up like he does and not be the feature back... sorry!!!! I DO agree we need a "COMPLIMENT" to him as a #2. Naj CAN be that guy if we focus on building a DOMINANT Oline ie: Chargers, Jags, Pats!!!

I know alot of people here point to the CPG, low YPG, and serious lack of touchdowns... and say "he sucks, we need a power back, thats the pittsburgh way.... YADA YADA YADA!" Our problem is our Oline, not parker, not Naj... maybe a lil bit of Arians too!!!! Sure up the Oline this off season and i think you will see much bigger numbers out of Parker Ben and the TE's and WR's!!!!

steelcityrockers
01-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Hey SCFXL, the Chargers do not have a dominant O-Line. They really struggled some this year.

TEEMONT
01-22-2008, 11:21 PM
Hey SCFXL, the Chargers do not have a dominant O-Line. They really struggled some this year.

What!? Terrible statement.

There are two VERY easy ways to judge how an O-line is playing. YPC for the running game, and total sacks given up.

The Chargers were number 8 in the league in both of these stats (4.1 YPC same as the Steelers, and 24 sacks given up, 1/2 as much as the Steelers).

Our line is a little better at run blocking than pass blocking (Ben not getting rid of the ball doesn't always help, but he usually has someone in his face at one mississippi). Wiilie made his 4.1 YPC on his own this year IMO. Our RB's played pretty friggin good, considering our line got about zero push all year long.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2008, 11:44 PM
Our line is a little better at run blocking than pass blocking (Ben not getting rid of the ball doesn't always help, but he usually has someone in his face at one mississippi). Wiilie made his 4.1 YPC on his own this year IMO. Our RB's played pretty friggin good, considering our line got about zero push all year long.

Alittle better is an understatement, more like just slightly better or maybe " not quite as bad as" is another way to put it. LOL. The stats that Willie did put up this year were definitely inspite of the OL and not because of it. Where you really see that is in the 3rd and short and goal line to go situations. When you can't get a push, even for 1 yard or 2 it just totally demoralizes your offensive unit and fuels the fire of the front 7 even more.

steelcitysfinestXL
01-23-2008, 10:36 AM

Rivers 22 reg season sacks
Roethlisberger 47 reg season sacks

you do the math, and Ben probley avoided another 20 that 95% of NFL qb's would have taken!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------
San Diego starter off horrible in thier run game but came on midseason... we NEVER got it straight Run or Pass blocking... and still had a competitor for the rushing title and "Statistically" the 2nd best QB in the AFC!!!

steelcityrockers
01-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Oh my. They benched their former starting RT (Shane Oliviea) for a rookie (Jeromey Clark) and LT Marcus McNeil struggled with his footwork. He had some poor games. C was ok when their starter was in (he was injured). Kris Dielman didn't deserve that large of a contract. Goff the other guard had a relatively good year. Sometimes you can't just look at the numbers. They have the best RB in the NFL and Rivers has a quick release.

steelcitysfinestXL
01-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Im not looking at numbers, i watch football and in my estimation the SD charger over the last few seasons have been a solid Oline to say the least... I'd go back as far as their last season with Brees!!! The dont allow too many sacks and you proved my point for me w/ the LT thing... LT is the best back in the league in you estimation... his first 4 out of 5 games he had less than 70 yards... like i said their oline played bad in the beginning of the season and LT struggled.... kind like Parker huh!?!?!? Only we struggled all season where SD peaked af week 10 or so!!! You dont put up number like LT behind a garbage line... unless your parker and you score 2 tds on the season!!!

steelcityrockers
01-23-2008, 09:09 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/insider/news/story?id=3203273

How can the San Diego Chargers shore up their offensive line?
When you look at this Chargers football team there are not very many areas that need to be upgraded. The Chargers were in the AFC Championship Game this season and talentwise are as good as any team in the NFL on both sides of the football. If there was one area where they underachieved a little this season it was along the right side of the offensive line.

LOT Marcus McNeill had a bit of a sophomore slump, but the Chargers are solid at LOG and C with Kris Dielman and Nick Hardwick. ROG Mike Goff is not getting any younger and ROT Shane Olivea struggled before being replaced by Jeromey Clary.

TEEMONT
01-23-2008, 09:15 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/insider/news/story?id=3203273

How can the San Diego Chargers shore up their offensive line?
When you look at this Chargers football team there are not very many areas that need to be upgraded. The Chargers were in the AFC Championship Game this season and talentwise are as good as any team in the NFL on both sides of the football. If there was one area where they underachieved a little this season it was along the right side of the offensive line.

LOT Marcus McNeill had a bit of a sophomore slump, but the Chargers are solid at LOG and C with Kris Dielman and Nick Hardwick. ROG Mike Goff is not getting any younger and ROT Shane Olivea struggled before being replaced by Jeromey Clary.

Oh ESPN said the Chargers have a bad O-Line....its fcking gospel now...lol

It's not gospel till FCFury and ICS say so. haha

steelcitysfinestXL
01-24-2008, 03:27 PM
LOL seriously, LT is talented, in the top 3 in the league if not #1... but there isnt a running back in the world who puts up those numbers behind a "struggling" line in "desperate need of an upgrade" not since Barry Sanders... sorry you can listen to NFLN and ESPN if you want... but im done arguing with YOU about THIS rockers

steelcityrockers
01-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Oh ESPN said the Chargers have a bad O-Line....its fcking gospel now...lol

It's not gospel till FCFury and ICS say so. haha

Err no. But it backs up my point.

JensK
01-25-2008, 07:30 AM
We all agree that we had just about the worst O-line in the league this year right? Good! At least we agree here :P

Willie did, no matter what everyones saying, lead the league in rushing yards untill he broke his leg, and i don't see why he would throw it away in the last 4 games. So why did he do that? I can so two logical reasons... Either did all the other RB's in the league suck big time, or Willie had an pretty ok season. Willie is not the type of player who can melt down a big defence guy and get a few extra yards. He needs people to block for him, which he didnt have this year. You all mentioned it... He had a great season with bettis blocking for him. This year, without any blockers at all, he still led the league.

Whoever said: Look at his TD this year. That must be the most stupid thing ever. Why oh why would you run the ball in the red zone when you have Big Ben being so effective? Steelers had one of the best red zone records with Ben throwing, so tell me again.. Why would you run the ball in the red zone?

Im not saying Willie is the best RB in the league, because hes not. But he sure is a great back with a bad O-line. Not even Peterson would have a good year if he didnt have a great O-line to block for him.

TEEMONT
01-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Err no. But it backs up my point.

Even if the Chargers have a "bad" O-line (which is not what the article is saying, they are just saying they weren't as dominate as they were last year), they are still light years ahead of the Steelers. They have a solid left side of the line, which killed us late in the season. their C is also very solid, ours is barely serviceable. The right side of the line is also way ahead of ours.

I don't need an ESPN article to tell me we had one of the worst O-line's in the league.

steelcityrockers
01-25-2008, 05:17 PM
We all agree that we had just about the worst O-line in the league this year right? Good! At least we agree here :P

I would say the Lions did. Easily. Followed by Frisco.