PDA

View Full Version : How close are we REALLY, to taking the next step

BlitzburghRockCity
01-16-2008, 07:58 PM
How close do you think this team really is to being a true playoff contender? Were our stats that deceiving this year or are we really that good? Yeah we had the #1 defense overall, Parker was leading the league in rushing, Ben had a better year than any Steelers QB in team history statiscally, but when it really comes right down to it is this team really that good or were we the beneficiary of a weak scheduled until December and then reality set in that we need to rebuild completely at many key positions? Perhaps the team just underachieved and needed a kick in the *** but it was too late?

I think we're 2 good OL away from being really dominant on offense, and 2 good DL depth wise on the DL from being a more dominant defense. I think influx of Wood and Timmons at the LB position will really push that group to another level. A healthy Troy will sure up the secondary but I wouldn't go and get rid of Ryan Clark just yet because Smith still has work to do.

It's hard to say how close we really are; I was encouraged about this team until December hit and we hit a brick wall. Yeah injuries are part of the game but you have to deal with them and our depth wasn't up to snuff.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-16-2008, 08:48 PM
If they fix the OL this offense will be a top five offense in the NFL...If they a tall physical WR that is a badass it will be unstoppable....Fix that if they add another badass WR period with an improved OL it will be unstoppable....

As for the defense....I think the ranking was a fraud...This was still a good defense...But not the level we are use to seeing as Steelers fans....But I'm excited to what both Woodley and Timmons bring to the table....I really think Woodley is a player.....Timmons has the talent...I think a move inside might be the best for him at least for a starters spot....With Harrison,Farrior,Foote and these young LBs....The LB core should be fine....

The Steelers DL is fine among the starting units.....It just needs youth along this unit......The secondary is a solid unit....But this defense and secondary needs improvment from Troy to get to the level he was playing at in 04 and 05.....

If the young LBs development and Troy returns to form....This D will be special again...Plus Anthony Smith putting his late season decline behind and just continue to learn and improve....I still think he is a talent...

I think Reed and Sepulveda are fine as the kicker and punter...I just give up on the kick coverage units...It seems almost every year they suck...lol

I don't think the Steelers are that far from being a team that goes deep into the play-offs...If the OL is fixed this off-season then I see no reason why this team can't at least make the AFC title game next year...

steelcityrockers
01-16-2008, 09:42 PM
A "badass" WR is not truly necessary. A guy like DJ Hackett would be a great pickup but I don't think he is getting out of Seattle. I would like to see Bryant Johnson come here. He knows the system. Perhaps someone like Jerome Simpson would be a nice later round pick as well.

steelerschick1220
01-16-2008, 09:53 PM
We are one improved o-line away from being a top offense in the league. I think we all were somewhat fooled by this team and I think the weak schedule at times made us better then we were. That's why the D was ranked first. The Monday night game against Baltimore was the only time they played like #1 to me.

If we get some more linemen on both sides of the ball, I think we will be vastly improved next year. If our special teams improves by a margin, that would be helpful as well.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-16-2008, 11:10 PM
The depth of this team was tested and for the most part it did not respond when called upon this year. That may be the blessing in disguise that this team finally needed. Seeing that all these bench warmers who have been making the team year in and year out for the last several years finally get a chance to play and they can't rise to the challenge consistently will hopefully make the FO realize that they need to address the problem areas on the OL, DL, and WR.

Some top notch picks that really come in and strut their stuff in 2008 and this team is back to stardom..but if they fail we will fail again.

FC FURY
01-16-2008, 11:34 PM
To compete for a Super Bowl...Steelers need some(alot of) help

Oline is a problem
Mahan and Simmons suck
Marvel Smith's health is a concern
Colon is a guard in the NFl...13 sacks allowed at tackle is freakin awful
Faneca and Starks are gone this off season.
The Cupboard is bare.

Skill Position players.

Ben Miller Parker Holmes are studs.

Hines Ward is 32 and coming off his 4th knee surgery

Spaeth & Washington have potential

Davenport is a cog.

Charlie Batch is a quality backup...He has hinted at retirement

Depth is a concern.

Defensive line

Kiesel Smith and Hampton are quality starters.
Hoke Eason Kierschke suck.
Once again depth is a concern

Backers.

Timmons inside and Woodley outside is a great start
Farrior is 33. Harrison will be 30.
Foote will be cut
Arnold Harrison is a decent backup
Once again depth is a concern

Dbs

Steelers seem set.

Special teams

Kickers are set

Coverage and return units suck

The Steelers will continue to make the playoffs...They dont have the horses on the roster to close the deal at this point

K Train
01-17-2008, 12:15 AM
i dont think harrison being 30 is a huge concern...its not like hes been worn down over the years lol hes in his prime.

whats a cog? lol

Koopa
01-17-2008, 01:07 AM
we need a legit line, and a legit running back lol...... willie is just so overrated, if he didn't run a million more times then everyone, he wouldn't have even got close to a 1000 yards rushing, he has no vision, every year he says he needs to improve on vision and **** like that, but he doesn't, and every game he shows why he didn't play in college and why he didn't get drafted

if we get that and a legit oline, then we can contend, but they are content on willie........so we can't contend lol............ and **** what ppl say, sure he had a 75 yard td in teh super bowl, but other then taht he had like 10 yards total after that

BlitzburghRockCity
01-17-2008, 06:08 AM
i dont think harrison being 30 is a huge concern...its not like hes been worn down over the years lol hes in his prime.

whats a cog? lol

I agree with Harrison; the way Lebeau was talking they are looking for James to be a long term solution for us at OLB. He doesnt have the wear of somebody who's been playing since they were 22-23 years old. He was in training camps, cut by the Steelers twice and ratbirds once, and in NFLE. Plus he missed significant time the last few years with injury so this guy is very young in the NFL and he's got a the minimum a solid 5 years left to be productive for us.

Woodley will be able to really help our pass rush on the outside and we'll finally have some competition inside with Foote. This will make both of them better.

NOVA STEELERS
01-17-2008, 06:25 AM
IMO the team has a core that is definately Playoff>>> Championship contenders....... As much as they say injuries are part of the game, the lack of depth on both lines showed BIG time this year. The D against the run after Aaron went down was like watching a totally different D out their. Getting Timmons and WOODLEY more involved in the game planning and getting some depth in the draft or FA will bring the D back to the #1 status it truely deserves :bigthumb:

FC FURY
01-17-2008, 09:23 AM

Harrison has 1 shoulder rebuild and 2 Major Knee surgeries. I don't know how old most of you are...The difference between 25 and 30 in an athlete is incredible. The human body doesnt recover at the same rate...I wont get into the Testerone/ hormonal discussion its quite boring. Players get old over night. Harrison is a fire plug...He can not afford to lose any speed explosiveness or quickness...History tells me players can be All Pro one year....Over the hill the next year. I expect Harrison to have at least 2 quality seasons left... Harrisons Age injury history and violence of the game concerns me.

whats a cog? lol

A cog is an "unsung hero"..A player who does his job without much notice.

Examples

Kimo Von Bomber Pilot
Dan Krieder
Chris Hoke in the 04 season
Andre Hastings
Fats Holmes or Dwight White for you old school guys

memphissteelergirl
01-17-2008, 10:02 AM
2 key areas, IMHO

Offensive Line and Special Teams....if we get these areas straight we'll be a top competitor next season.

TEEMONT
01-17-2008, 11:27 AM
IMO we are so close that it makes the Jags loss even tougher to take.

We need to break the bank for Ben this off-season, it hurts me to say it, but having him is far more important that having anything else. He makes us a playoff contender, I really don't feel there is another QB in the league who could do so much with so little.

Let's talk about Willie, the man who has garnered more hate than Hitler in his prime. The dude is a stud. I don't knwo what people are complaining about when it comes to Willie, I hear the same things over and over again, he isn't consistent enough, he falls backwards too often, he can't break tackles, he isn't durable, yada yada yada.

He isn't consistent enough - Willie had a 4.1 YPC avg this year, with only 12 carries on the year going for 20+ yards, and no carries going for 40+ yards. So his 4.1 YPC is pretty true, it's not padded by any 80 yards runs, or even 40 yard runs for that matter. This year if you handed Willie the ball on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd downs, it would have ended in a first down for us.

He falls backwards - When Willie got past the LOS, he was always falling forward, the times he got hit and went backwards were when he was nailed behind the LOS, b/c his line was garbage. Show me any running back that falls forward when he has no momentum, and is getting hit by a LB/DL who weighs at least 30 lbs more than him when they have a full head of steam, its simple physics.

He can't break tackles- I can't find any official BT stats, but I would be willing to bet that Willie does break tackles a lot more often than the average in the NFL. He rarely goes down on the first hit, and has turned nothing into something several times.

He isn't durable - Willie had the most carries in the league until he went down on a freak turf monster injury. He didn't get a concussion, or have a SS break his leg, it broke because his foot got stuck in the TURF (for those of you wanting field turf). Willie is as durable as they come, and has nothing but an upside.

The fact of the matter is, Willie is a top 5 RB in this league, despite the hate some of you spew towards him. His first 3 years as a starter are comparable to the Bus' BEST 3 seasons as a Steeler. He could have easily had 10-11 TD's this year if we didn't pass it as soon as we hit the 15 yard line. I would say that at least half of Ben's 32 TD's were set-up by Willie's running.

The O-line, wow, this is the reason we are sitting at home right now. This is by far the worst O-line that was in the playoffs, and easily in the bottom half of the league as far as run blocking and pass blocking go. Next year iti will probably be worse. We are more than likely going to lose Faneca, who will be the best lineman on whatever team he goes to, and Mahan, shouldn't even be able to start in college right now. Willie Colon has all the makings of a nasty road grinding RG, but for some odd reason he is playing RT. IMO we need to re-sign Max Starks, I think the fire was lit in him again, after being showed that he can be benched. Kendall Simmons needs to get looked at as far as being a center goes. I seriously have no clue what the left side of the line is going to look like next year, and that worries me.

If we don't address the line in the draft, there isn't much out there as far a FA's go. Our line could look like this next year, seriously:

LT: Smith
LG: Kemoatu
C: Mahan
RG: Simmons
RT: Colon/Starks

That would be a disaster IMO. It needs to look something like this, if everything goes right:

LT: Smith/ Draft Pick (later in the season)
LG: Faneca
C: 3rd rounder or Simmons
RG: Colon
RT: Starks

I would be very comfortable with a line like that, the rumors of Faneca maybe switching to C if he stays sound pretty good to me, but that would still leave us bare at LG.

WR is a position that is pretty set IMO. In the next 2-3 years we will need someone to replace Hines, but he is aging pretty well if you ask me. Santonio is a beast, and Nate is sooooo ****ing close to being a legit #3 it makes me sick. Our TE position is set for years to come with Miller and Spaeth, Miller can be better than Jason Witten IMO, he just needs the oppurtunity. We don't need a tall WR, it would be nice, but it's not something we need.

Defensively, we need some depth at DL and I think we are good. Our draft last year set us at LB for a while, and I still think Woodley is going to be a beast.

Watch out for Anthony Smith next year, I'm thinking a Chris Hope-type season is in the cards, just with harder hitting.

FC FURY
01-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Parker is a stud...Ideally I would like Willie to get 15 carries a game(18-20 total touches). I like a 2 back system. Johnathan Stewart from Oregon or Felix Jones would intrigue me in Round 1...Offensive Line is a bigger need...The Steelers can not reach...My worst nightmare is the Steelers draft Sam Baker/Gosder Cherlius...Give me Otah. If Otah is gone.. I would draft Stewart/Malcom Kelly/ Kenny Phillips/Dan Connor in Round 1 and then draft Chris Williams/Anthony Collins in Round 2

The Steelers build through the draft...The Steelers next 2 drafts MUST be quality and quantity

The Steelers must add offensive and defensive linemen.

A play maker or 2 on both sides of the ball would be nice(WR Returner FS ILB CB)

Townsend is 32
McFadden is a UFA after the 08 season

The Steelers need to get lucky in the draft.

TEEMONT
01-17-2008, 12:07 PM

I don't even think lucky is the word to describe it...lol. The lone is going to take at least two years to be respectable again, more than likely.

But like I said, I really believe we are contenders just by having Ben at his best.

steelcitysfinestXL
01-17-2008, 12:55 PM
IMO we are so close that it makes the Jags loss even tougher to take.

We need to break the bank for Ben this off-season, it hurts me to say it, but having him is far more important that having anything else. He makes us a playoff contender, I really don't feel there is another QB in the league who could do so much with so little.

Let's talk about Willie, the man who has garnered more hate than Hitler in his prime. The dude is a stud. I don't knwo what people are complaining about when it comes to Willie, I hear the same things over and over again, he isn't consistent enough, he falls backwards too often, he can't break tackles, he isn't durable, yada yada yada.

He isn't consistent enough - Willie had a 4.1 YPC avg this year, with only 12 carries on the year going for 20+ yards, and no carries going for 40+ yards. So his 4.1 YPC is pretty true, it's not padded by any 80 yards runs, or even 40 yard runs for that matter. This year if you handed Willie the ball on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd downs, it would have ended in a first down for us.

He falls backwards - When Willie got past the LOS, he was always falling forward, the times he got hit and went backwards were when he was nailed behind the LOS, b/c his line was garbage. Show me any running back that falls forward when he has no momentum, and is getting hit by a LB/DL who weighs at least 30 lbs more than him when they have a full head of steam, its simple physics.

He can't break tackles- I can't find any official BT stats, but I would be willing to bet that Willie does break tackles a lot more often than the average in the NFL. He rarely goes down on the first hit, and has turned nothing into something several times.

He isn't durable - Willie had the most carries in the league until he went down on a freak turf monster injury. He didn't get a concussion, or have a SS break his leg, it broke because his foot got stuck in the TURF (for those of you wanting field turf). Willie is as durable as they come, and has nothing but an upside.

The fact of the matter is, Willie is a top 5 RB in this league, despite the hate some of you spew towards him. His first 3 years as a starter are comparable to the Bus' BEST 3 seasons as a Steeler. He could have easily had 10-11 TD's this year if we didn't pass it as soon as we hit the 15 yard line. I would say that at least half of Ben's 32 TD's were set-up by Willie's running.

The O-line, wow, this is the reason we are sitting at home right now. This is by far the worst O-line that was in the playoffs, and easily in the bottom half of the league as far as run blocking and pass blocking go. Next year iti will probably be worse. We are more than likely going to lose Faneca, who will be the best lineman on whatever team he goes to, and Mahan, shouldn't even be able to start in college right now. Willie Colon has all the makings of a nasty road grinding RG, but for some odd reason he is playing RT. IMO we need to re-sign Max Starks, I think the fire was lit in him again, after being showed that he can be benched. Kendall Simmons needs to get looked at as far as being a center goes. I seriously have no clue what the left side of the line is going to look like next year, and that worries me.

If we don't address the line in the draft, there isn't much out there as far a FA's go. Our line could look like this next year, seriously:

LT: Smith
LG: Kemoatu
C: Mahan
RG: Simmons
RT: Colon/Starks

That would be a disaster IMO. It needs to look something like this, if everything goes right:

LT: Smith/ Draft Pick (later in the season)
LG: Faneca
C: 3rd rounder or Simmons
RG: Colon
RT: Starks

I would be very comfortable with a line like that, the rumors of Faneca maybe switching to C if he stays sound pretty good to me, but that would still leave us bare at LG.

WR is a position that is pretty set IMO. In the next 2-3 years we will need someone to replace Hines, but he is aging pretty well if you ask me. Santonio is a beast, and Nate is sooooo ****ing close to being a legit #3 it makes me sick. Our TE position is set for years to come with Miller and Spaeth, Miller can be better than Jason Witten IMO, he just needs the oppurtunity. We don't need a tall WR, it would be nice, but it's not something we need.

Defensively, we need some depth at DL and I think we are good. Our draft last year set us at LB for a while, and I still think Woodley is going to be a beast.

Watch out for Anthony Smith next year, I'm thinking a Chris Hope-type season is in the cards, just with harder hitting.

:plus1::clap::banana::cabbagepatch::cope:

I couldnt of said it better myself... Parker is the guy... PERIOD. We need to build a line that can make holes for him and keep Ben clean and upright!!! This is the Perfect draft, if we're agressive, to get 2 starting olinemen in the fist 3 rounds... i would like to see a KR/PR CB,WR or RB that could pressure to be a starter and offer quality depth. I would like to see us adress atleast one D-linemen in FA so we known we have at worst a solid back up!!!! And i agree that i think we will see major strides in guys like A-Smith, McFadden and Gay now that Tomlin has seen what they are capable of, and where they need work!!!

Stlrs4Life
01-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Entire OL overhaul, and good young depth.

Mike Tomlin
01-17-2008, 04:23 PM
As far as the D-line goes what about McBean I was told that his physical skills weren't problem, he had to learn to play DE in our scheme. I read somewhere he was getting better, it would a big plus if he starts to shine next year. He's built like he could be a beast when he gets the system down .

SteelersWoman
01-17-2008, 07:10 PM
As long as this team as a whole (no matter who's playing or at what depth) doesn't start TRULY playing for a whole 60 minutes, we're just going to be knocking on the door every season. You can't play all out for 10 mintues of a 60 minute game and expect to win.

Ambridge
01-17-2008, 08:21 PM
IMO-the Steelers hit the highwater mark in the Cowher Era and I think you'll see this team go on a slide for the next few seasons.
Questionable Coaching decisions from Tomlin and his assistants(BTW Tomlin is retaining his whole staff)and this team is getting long in the tooth in some areas.

The Steelers will remain competitive but not Championship caliber for any time soon.

DIESELMAN
01-17-2008, 08:35 PM
The Steelers build through the draft...The Steelers next 2 drafts MUST be quality and quantity

The Steelers must add offensive and defensive linemen.

A play maker or 2 on both sides of the ball would be nice(WR Returner FS ILB CB)

Townsend is 32
McFadden is a UFA after the 08 season

I'll take quality over quantity any day but I know what your saying. This years draft will affect us for a few years down the road, good or bad. Quality OL and DL on day 1 would be nice, but if like you said theres a playmaker in there that just can't be passed on, I'm all for that to. We also need depth at CB, MLB and possibly FS, depending on Clarks progress. I still think A. Smith will rebound from the last few games, I think Tomlin will make sure of that. Over all we're not that far away from competing with the Pats. OL doesn't need to be overhauled, a franchise T, a little bit of shuffling, some of these guys have another year of experience under their belt. As long as the draft goes good, no surprise WTF picks like last years #3 pick, we'll be fine.

TEEMONT
01-17-2008, 08:37 PM
As long as this team as a whole (no matter who's playing or at what depth) doesn't start TRULY playing for a whole 60 minutes, we're just going to be knocking on the door every season. You can't play all out for 10 mintues of a 60 minute game and expect to win.

and the Captain Obvious award goes to..........

http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/a/a5/Captainobvious1.jpg

K Train
01-17-2008, 09:45 PM
lol...willie is without question the second most overrated player on this team.

How do you not get tired of seeing him get 18 total yards against the ravens, or the chargers, or anyone with a respectable defense...willie is not THE MAN....hes A MAN, should be 1 out of 2 running backs that get equal carries.

Willie does fall forward, he does break tackles...but his body just shuts down against the decent defenses and it always has.

and why the **** does everyone talk like tomlin should have cleaned house on the staff....dont you think coaches need to adjust too? coaches learn just like players..cleaning house after a 10-6 season isnt the way to go.

Point is we need a 6-8 WR and and a 400 pound runningback if we want to contend for anything :rolleyes:

FC FURY
01-17-2008, 11:51 PM

Kendoll Simmons Sean Mahan and Willie Colon pass block better then they run block. Parker is a second Tier Back...top 10. who is signed through the 2009 season.

I want quality players...Big or small. I like the idea of a Tall Wr with skills. My ideal compliment to Willie Parker would be Stewart of Oregon...I would be thrilled to draft Cory Boyd in the 6th round(Stewart is a 240 pound back, Boyd weighs 218)...Quality players is something everyone can agree with.

The Steelers can not afford To **** up another draft.

Memories

-Alonzo Jackson
-Orein Harris
-Omar Jacobs
-Charles Davis
-Cedric Humes
-Fred Gibson
-Rian Wallace
-Shaun Nua
-Rico Colcough
-Nathaniel Abidi
-Bo Lacy
-Matt Kranchinik
-Drew Caylor
-Eric Taylor

BlitzburghRockCity
01-18-2008, 06:06 AM
The Steelers can not afford To **** up another draft.

Memories

-Alonzo Jackson
-Orein Harris
-Omar Jacobs
-Charles Davis
-Cedric Humes
-Fred Gibson
-Rian Wallace
-Shaun Nua
-Rico Colcough
-Nathaniel Abidi
-Bo Lacy
-Matt Kranchinik
-Drew Caylor
-Eric Taylor

That's is a long and distinguished list of inepnitude that really epitomizes the horrible drafting we've long in the recent years. There's a bunch more you can add to that list from previous years too. For a team that prides itself "building through the draft" and not going into FA like everyone else they damn well better get their heads out of their asses and stop drafting worthless players!

TEEMONT
01-18-2008, 10:37 AM

and the number one most overrated?.....the 4th round punter who didn't make the pro bowl.

Willie, if he is anything, is underrated. To be able to run as well as he does with a crock of a line, and (last year) without a passing game, just shows how valuable he really is.

K Train
01-18-2008, 12:36 PM
whos sepulveda overrated by? me? lol who cares

theres so many RBs that if they came to the team would just take willies job from under him, willie would be an awesome backup, but a mediocre starter as a featured back anyway

TEEMONT
01-18-2008, 01:02 PM
whos sepulveda overrated by? me? lol who cares

theres so many RBs that if they came to the team would just take willies job from under him, willie would be an awesome backup, but a mediocre starter as a featured back anyway

There are maybe 3-4 RB's that could take his job, and we would also be paying double to triple what we pay for Willie.

LT
AP
maybe Brandon Jacobs (I really like him for some reason)
maybe the dude from Indy (I remember now Addai)

K Train
01-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Westbrook, Barber, lynch, jackson>>>>willie

TEEMONT
01-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Westbrook, Barber, lynch, jackson>>>>willie

Get out of here with that Bullshit. Stephen Jackson was garbage this year, he barely cracked 1,000 yards, and is about as durable as wet kleenex.

Barber is in a two back system, with a superior passing game to ours. He is in a much better situation than Willie O-Line wise as well. ****, your skinny *** could run behind that line.

Lynch, is a bigger Willie, with a line that is about equal. I'd say 50/50 there. Plus he isn't that consistent. He had two runs over 40 yards, and still had less YPC than Willie (Willie had none).

And Westbrook is getting old, although he is a beast, he hits 30 next year I think, so his quick style won't last much longer IMO.

SteelerFan87
01-19-2008, 03:45 PM
It's pretty simple really. We need to be able to dominate the line of scrimmage. That means we need a ton of help at OL, and more of a pass rush on defense. I think Woodley will really help with the pass rush. Our whole defense depends on that. We need to be able to pressure the QB, get him rattled, force him to make quicker decisions than he wants to, etc. That's how you get turnovers and big plays on defense. We weren't able to do that enough down the stretch this year, which is why the defense seemed to suck so much. We weren't getting turnovers because you have to get pressure to get the QB to make mistakes and throw INTs. We weren't getting sacks. We weren't getting into the backfield enough to stop the run, and we weren't tackling well, which is another area we need to improve.

On offense, with a better OL, the offense will be so much better. Willie will have more room to run, Ben will have more time to throw. We have the skill players, we just need a tough, dependable, physically dominating OL.

And then, of course, we need to improve our Special Teams. We don't need great special teams. We don't even need good special teams. We just need special teams that won't be a liability and make huge costly mistakes at critical times in big games.

Iron City South
01-19-2008, 06:27 PM
we need a legit line, and a legit running back lol...... willie is just so overrated, if he didn't run a million more times then everyone, he wouldn't have even got close to a 1000 yards rushing, he has no vision, every year he says he needs to improve on vision and shiat like that, but he doesn't, and every game he shows why he didn't play in college and why he didn't get drafted

if we get that and a legit oline, then we can contend, but they are content on willie........so we can't contend lol............ and **** what ppl say, sure he had a 75 yard td in teh super bowl, but other then taht he had like 10 yards total after that

I'm sort of where Koopa is at .. but will only add that we need another dominating WR opposite of Holmes (Wards final years should be in the slot) that will present a triple threat + 1 (Holmes, Ward, XXXX, Heath)

Once we rebuild the OL, it generally takes 2-3 years for the guys to gell as a unit. Therefore I'm going with 3 years before we are considered a force to be rekoned with. :yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-19-2008, 06:31 PM
What it really comes down to is this. All the great years we've had running the ball just in the last 20 years let's say; look back at the offensive that we had. You think Barry Foster would have had so many 100 yd games without his line? Would Bam have had the opportunity to be the next great Steelers RB ( until he became a crack head) without a line? What about Jerome; surely you don't think he would have done as well as he did during his years with us without having the line blocking like crazy for him ?

You know what is the key factor in all of this; the Center. During the years we had all those great running games we had a total of 3 Centers during that stint: Webster, Dawson, and Hartings. Now we've got a scrub center and everything has gone to ****. Get this team a Center to be the anchor of this line and work your way out from there. I don't care if you have Walter Payton running the ball; if we've got another Sean Mahan at Center you might as well have pee wee herman back there because it won't make a bit of difference.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-19-2008, 06:36 PM
What it really comes down to is this. All the great years we've had running the ball just in the last 20 years let's say; look back at the offensive that we had. You think Barry Foster would have had so many 100 yd games without his line? Would Bam have had the opportunity to be the next great Steelers RB ( until he became a crack head) without a line? What about Jerome; surely you don't think he would have done as well as he did during his years with us without having the line blocking like crazy for him ?

You know what is the key factor in all of this; the Center. During the years we had all those great running games we had a total of 3 Centers during that stint: Webster, Dawson, and Hartings. Now we've got a scrub center and everything has gone to shiat. Get this team a Center to be the anchor of this line and work your way out from there. I don't care if you have Walter Payton running the ball; if we've got another Sean Mahan at Center you might as well have pee wee herman back there because it won't make a bit of difference.

I agree Top.........I think if the Steelers can find a center that can actually get an inside push then Willie would be so much better....Its hard for any RB to run the ball when they're getting hit in the backfield....lol This team is fine with Willie as the starter...Improve the OL and let the other RBs lighten Parker's load some...If the team wants to draft a RB then just have a RB combo.....But it won't matter if this team doesn't improve their OL......Parker might not be a great RB like Walter Payton or LT....But this team did win it all with him getting the majority of the carries just in 2005.....I really think Willie should just get 15-20 carries a game....Anything after that week in and week out is just going to wear him down in the long run.....

BlitzburghRockCity
01-19-2008, 06:44 PM
Considering how great of a year that Ben had throwing the ball we still live and die by the run. Until this team can count on it's running game as a means of putting a team away or simply a means of controlling the clock when you just don't have the passing game flowing like you hope; they'll continue to struggle. The Pats can beat you running or throwing. We can beat you throwing but right now we can't really beat you running the ball with any consistency. One week we're kicking *** the other week we're getting ours kicked because we just can't block for ****. It all starts with the line and ends with the line. It always has.

Stairwayto7
01-21-2008, 07:05 AM
We need an impovement on the O-line, no big news there!

We`ve already helped the D by having Woodley penciled in over hagans. We need some DB depth. After Ryan Clark went down, we had nobody. And as much as I like Kiesel, we need D-line improvement also.

SteelersWoman
01-21-2008, 02:36 PM
and the Captain Obvious award goes to..........

How about you do me, and a lot of other people on here a favor, and jump off that cliff too? I'm sick of your smart alec comments, and they do nothing to help anyone. Everything everyone else said was just as "obvious"--it doesn't really take rocket science to figure out what the problems are, and it sure isn't hard to see what YOUR problem is either.

TEEMONT
01-22-2008, 03:54 PM
How about you do me, and a lot of other people on here a favor, and jump off that cliff too? I'm sick of your smart alec comments, and they do nothing to help anyone. Everything everyone else said was just as "obvious"--it doesn't really take rocket science to figure out what the problems are, and it sure isn't hard to see what YOUR problem is either.

awww did I touch a nerve? Take is easy, it's a joke, maybe you take yourself too seriously. All I'm saying is, we won't se eyou on ESPN next to John Clayton anytime soon.

SteelersWoman
01-22-2008, 05:22 PM
awww did I touch a nerve? Take is easy, it's a joke, maybe you take yourself too seriously. All I'm saying is, we won't se eyou on ESPN next to John Clayton anytime soon.

I've done nothing to you, and I really can't understand people like you who puts someone else down, and then tries to pass it off as a "joke".

I never claimed to be any kind of analyst, (and never said that I wanted to be one), so your comment really makes no sense, is immaterial, and brings less to this thread than what I originally posted.

I'm just a Steelers fan--and if you don't like my posts, or they bother you that badly, please just pass over them.

TEEMONT
01-22-2008, 05:25 PM
I've done nothing to you, and I really can't understand people like you who puts someone else down, and then tries to pass it off as a "joke".

I never claimed to be any kind of analyst, (and never said that I wanted to be one), so your comment really makes no sense, is immaterial, and brings less to this thread than what I originally posted.

I'm just a Steelers fan--and if you don't like my posts, or they bother you that badly, please just pass over them.

Seriously, people on here act like that all the time. I get my balls busted for saying obvious/stupid stuff. Just take it in the chin, like a big girl and move on, don't cry about it.

Get over it. It's not like I called you a dirty whore or something, or personally attacked you like I have gotten several times from people.

You made an very obvious statement, and I just pointed it out, in a way to make people laugh. I didn't do it to make fun of you, I would have said it regardless of who made the statement.

steelcitysfinestXL
01-22-2008, 07:46 PM
SteelerWoman, I agree with you for the most part... i like you like to make convo and see how my opinions measure up to others!!! On the same token, TEEMONT was just F'in around (i thought it was hilarious) and ANY Forum you go on for ANYTHING you're gonna get comments like that, normally im with you and think there isnt any need for it... but atleast he found a semi-original (not to mention hilarious) way to do it...

Anyway, in my "opinion" i think this team is 2 Linemen and a lil depth away from being a SB condender for years to come... plain and simple we must get deeper!!! Oline needs ATLEAST one stud (Williams or Cherilus ) in this upcoming draft!!! If we get lucky and get a returner and Center to be immediate starters... its all depth from there!!!! I look at the pats last year... they had the QB the running game and the D, to win a championship!!! They beat SD and lost to Indy in the 2nd round... they hit the FA market to adress problems at OLB and WR and are one game from perfection!!! Last season it seemed like they needed soo much help at Depth and wideout that it would take a season or two for whomever they aquire to gel!!! NOT THE CASE!!! I dont think we are that far off, not at all!!!!

Steelerlyn
01-27-2008, 02:10 PM
Steelerswoman said it all in very few words. And I agree she is a wonderful person.

SteelersWoman
01-29-2008, 02:33 AM
Steelerswoman said it all in very few words. And I agree she is a wonderful person.

Thanks much Lyn, the feeling's mutual :)

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2008, 06:37 PM
SteelerWoman, I agree with you for the most part... i like you like to make convo and see how my opinions measure up to others!!! On the same token, TEEMONT was just F'in around (i thought it was hilarious) and ANY Forum you go on for ANYTHING you're gonna get comments like that, normally im with you and think there isnt any need for it... but atleast he found a semi-original (not to mention hilarious) way to do it...

Anyway, in my "opinion" i think this team is 2 Linemen and a lil depth away from being a SB condender for years to come... plain and simple we must get deeper!!! Oline needs ATLEAST one stud (Williams or Cherilus ) in this upcoming draft!!! If we get lucky and get a returner and Center to be immediate starters... its all depth from there!!!! I look at the pats last year... they had the QB the running game and the D, to win a championship!!! They beat SD and lost to Indy in the 2nd round... they hit the FA market to adress problems at OLB and WR and are one game from perfection!!! Last season it seemed like they needed soo much help at Depth and wideout that it would take a season or two for whomever they aquire to gel!!! NOT THE CASE!!! I dont think we are that far off, not at all!!!!

That's the difference between the Pats front office and ours. They adapt their way of thinking to keep up with the times and use FA the way it was meant to be used. The Rooneys are too stubborn to change and therefore they rely on the draft to keep the team competitive and when you bomb out year after year on day 2 and sometimes on day 1 you are severely limiting yourself in how your team stays competitive. We are feeling the affects of that tunnel vision way of thinking now and it's costing us.

Even when Cowher was here for the first 2/3 of his tenure they used FA to bring players to help out but for the last 5 years we haven't done **** and it's costing us now.