PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben on ... Alan Faneca, his contract and his wish list for 2008

Koopa
01-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Ben Roethlisberger has three desires as he enters the offseason: A tall wide receiver, the return of guard Alan Faneca, and a new contract as soon as possible.

The contract most likely will be worked out, even if it does not occur as quickly as the Steelers quarterback might prefer. The other two are more problematic.

Faneca becomes an unrestricted free agent Feb. 29, and while the Steelers plan to talk to his agent before then, even director of football operations Kevin Colbert noted Monday that "the price most likely has gone up."

Still, Roethlisberger made his pitch to management that they try to keep his All-Pro guard, who has been a linchpin of the offensive line for a decade.

"I don't know what's going to happen," Roethlisberger said yesterday. "That's hard for me, there could be an outlying story, something here or there I don't know about. But they do know how I feel about it. They know how valuable he is."

He also knows that a similar plea he made to keep 6-5 receiver Plaxico Burress when he became an unrestricted free agent three years ago went unheeded.

Now Roethlisberger has made another appeal for the Steelers to acquire another tall wide receiver. His top three receivers are Hines Ward, listed as 6 feet, 5-11 Santonio Holmes and 6-1 Nate Washington.

"I'm always going to ask for a tall receiver," Roethlisberger said. "That's just me. Our receivers are unbelievable, but our tallest guy might be Hines? Or Santonio? Hines is going to say he's 6 foot, but he's 5-11, now."

The Steelers do have tall tight ends in 6-5 Heath Miller and 6-7 Matt Spaeth, but Roethlisberger would like to spot a taller target at wide receiver as well.

"It's nice to have a bailout guy, you know when you're in trouble and you just kind of throw it up. In the red zone its nice to have a guy like that. Obviously, we have a guy like Nate who can jump out of this world. He can jump so high. It's nice to have that.

"But to have a big guy who can create mismatches -- the same thing happened when Plax was here. So much presence went to Plax's side just because he's a big, good receiver, that Hines was always open or Antwaan [Randle El]. I just think it would open stuff up for us a lot more."

Part of it also has to do with the physics of the forward pass when he delivers it.

"I'm 6-5," Roethlisberger noted. "I throw down to a lot of these guys. You see so many times Hines reaching up and I'm getting him killed because he's reaching up for balls and I'm just throwing it on my plane. To have someone on the same plane as me would just make my job ... I wouldn't get Hines killed going across the middle all the time."

Roethlisberger said he has talked to the Steelers about it and that "we'll probably look for some guys in free agency, I would assume, look in there and see what we can find."

He also said that 6-3 Dallas Baker, a seventh-round draft pick from Florida who spent his rookie season on the Steelers' practice squad, might ultimately help in that regard.

"As soon as he gets out of that wide receiver funk of just running routes on a card, he has the potential to be pretty good," Roethlisberger said.

The quarterback has two years left on the contract he signed as a rookie in 2004, and both sides acknowledge that this is the year to extend it. He would prefer that to happen sooner rather than later.

"I'm eager, anxious because I want to get it done with, I want to say let's go, let's get it over with so the talks can stop, people can stop bugging me about it. Because I just want to play football. Let's get it over with, let's get it done so I can get right back into football and not think about it and not have people talking about it all the time."

His agent, Ryan Tollner, wanted to try to extend the deal a year ago, but the Steelers preferred to wait. No talks have yet been scheduled as far as Roethlisberger knows.

"My guys are waiting for that call," Roethlisberger said. "We don't want to push it. We are waiting to hear something from them.

"I don't know what to expect because you hear so many different stories from guys who have been here before and the media."

Might he take a Tom Brady-like stance where he does not demand as much as he might be able to get in order to save salary-cap room so the Steelers can sign others?

"You know what? I'm not even dealing with that right now," Roethlisberger said. "I'm always going to do what's best for this team."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08016/849486-66.stm

that last part is an obvious sign he cares more about the money then saving cap to sign other players...... that was a guttless way to say no lol......

and what a fag, use heath as the bail out you ****ing moron.......him getting hit in head with that windshield has made him a retard lol

Black@Gold Forever32
01-16-2008, 01:14 AM
I don't think that statement by Ben showed he cares more about the money.....I just think that statement by Ben is the typical answer by all athletes when they talk about their contract status....They always say I don't deal with that my agent does...

About Big Ben wanting a big WR......I'll never understand why you can't understand what a tall WR does for an offense...I'm not talking just a tall WR...I'm talking a tall WR that can actually play....It would open things up for everybody in the passing game.....Ward,Holmes and Miller.....

Ben wants that Big WR so when he does get pressure he can just scramble out of it and just throw it up down field like he did when Plax was here in 2004.....Ben would just escape the pressure and chuck the ball down field 40 yards to Plax.....

I'm not one of those people that think just draft a WR since he is tall....Thats retarded....Really I don't care how tall a WR just as long as the guy can play....But finding a badass big physical WR that creates separation would do wonders for this offense....Along with rebuilding the OL....Those two things happen the Steelers offense will be unstoppable....

DIESELMAN
01-16-2008, 01:28 AM
Having any receiver that draws double coverage would be a great plus. I've said this before, a tall WR would compliment Ben's throwing style and if he could scare the D's in this league, like you said Danny, along with fixing our OL, our O would be unstoppable. I don't see Ben as a greedy guy who would put himself before the team. They'll get something together that will satisfy both sides.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-16-2008, 06:05 AM
Ben is just trying to say the right thing and not step on any toes before the talks even begin. I don't read anything else into it other than that.

As far as a tall WR, every QB does want that and we do have our own version of the 80's Redskin smurfs out there running around but they make plays and you can't deny that. He should use Heath and Matt more on those fade routes in the corner of the endzone. They seem to only ever use them on short crossing routes in the endzone when they are close to the goal line.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-16-2008, 06:13 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/steelers/s_547648.html

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, January 16, 2008

If Ben Roethlisberger gets his wish, the next NFL move he'll make will be to Canton, Ohio, following a long and distinguished career with the Steelers.
"I would love to retire here," Roethlisberger said on Tuesday. "I would love to go the Hall of Fame in a Steelers jersey. That would be an ultimate goal. I want to do what (Dan) Marino, (Jim) Kelly, (John) Elway and all those guys did -- play with one team their whole career."

Roethlisberger is hoping to move one step closer toward realizing that goal this offseason by agreeing to a long-term contract extension with the Steelers.

"I'm sure we'll talk to him soon," Steelers chairman Dan Rooney said.

Roethlisberger has two years remaining on his initial deal.
"The quarterback position is one position we've addressed two years prior to free agency," Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said. "Obviously, Ben has done some great things for our organization. We expect him to accomplish even greater things moving forward.

"Although we have not as of yet entered into official negotiations, we would anticipate that beginning in the very near future."

Roethlisberger set several Steelers records this season, including most touchdown passes in a season (32).

"I just want to get it over with, truthfully," Roethlisberger said. "I never really think about it except when people bring it up to me. Everywhere I go it's, 'What's going on with the contract?'

"I don't really know. I just want to play football, and I want to get started thinking about that. So the sooner we can get talking and get this over with, the better for me."

Roethlisberger is scheduled to earn $1,356,500 in 2008 and $1,707,000 in 2009 in base salary. He is due bonuses of $2.95 million in 2008 and $8 million in 2009.

Tony Romo of Dallas reportedly signed a six-year, $67.5 million contract, with $30 million guaranteed, in October.

Marc Bulger of St. Louis reportedly signed a six-year, $65 million deal, with $27 million guaranteed, in July.

Neither has started for a Super Bowl champion, as Roethlisberger did in 2005.

"You always know what other guys are making because everyone blasts it all over the place," Roethlisberger said. "You know that Romo just did a deal. You know what Peyton (Manning) made a couple years ago (a reported $99.2 million over nine years, with a $34.5 million signing bonus). You know what's going on. It's crazy.

"I don't really know how all that stuff works out with what's guaranteed and how you do this. I don't even deal with that. That's why you hire agents."

Notes: All-Pro guard Alan Faneca, among others, is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent at 12:01 a.m. on Feb. 29. "We've left the door open," Colbert said. "They did; we did. Where it goes, I don't know." ... The Steelers signed defensive tackle Scott Paxson to their reserve/future list. Paxson, a former rookie-free agent from Penn State, has spent time on the Steelers' practice squad the past two seasons.

PsychoWard
01-16-2008, 09:20 AM
personaly i think the steelers are nuts if they don't re-sign faneca i mean ben had a great year but, man he took a beating this year and that was with faneca. we can give ben all the money in the world but he is only going to be as good as our O line lets him!

Koopa
01-16-2008, 11:12 AM
I don't think that statement by Ben showed he cares more about the money.....I just think that statement by Ben is the typical answer by all athletes when they talk about their contract status....They always say I don't deal with that my agent does...

About Big Ben wanting a big WR......I'll never understand why you can't understand what a tall WR does for an offense...I'm not talking just a tall WR...I'm talking a tall WR that can actually play....It would open things up for everybody in the passing game.....Ward,Holmes and Miller.....

Ben wants that Big WR so when he does get pressure he can just scramble out of it and just throw it up down field like he did when Plax was here in 2004.....Ben would just escape the pressure and chuck the ball down field 40 yards to Plax.....

I'm not one of those people that think just draft a WR since he is tall....Thats retarded....Really I don't care how tall a WR just as long as the guy can play....But finding a badass big physical WR that creates separation would do wonders for this offense....Along with rebuilding the OL....Those two things happen the Steelers offense will be unstoppable....

if he was a smart qb, instead of being a ****tard and only wanting to get 40 yard gains, he'd just do a quick 10 yard pass to heath, and heath can do the rest...........everyone crying for a tall wr is retarded to me, cause everyone acts like they are easy to fine, most become bums, the only way you can get a decent one is if you draft high, and then in 5 years the rooneys just let them go, so it's pointless to cry for one............just throw the damn ball to heath and stop trying to throw it 80 yards every play

FC FURY
01-16-2008, 11:18 AM
A tall wide receiver,

I believe someone reading the article that continues to disagree about the big wr is mentally challenged. I will not get into name calling...Or stupid online wars.

Ben has a comfort zone with a big Wr's...I believe I would attempt to accommodate my Pro Bowl Qb.

The Rules are skewed towards big strong Wr's in todays NFl.

AZ_Steeler
01-16-2008, 11:19 AM
I can understand Ben wanting a tall WR, the problem with using Miller as his bail out is Miller is sometimes held back at the line to help hold off the pass rush so he's not always down field.

Ben seems down to earth and might be all about the money now, but IMO if the Steelers can keep on winning and Ben remains happy with the organization he'll start to realize he'll need to give up some of that big contract to help the team remain competitive. He's still young right now but he'll eventually come around... especially if he plans to retire a Steeler!

FC FURY
01-16-2008, 11:49 AM
A Big quality Wr can effect a defense.

First you must roll coverage towards the Wr. Or play him in Man. The rules say your corner cant touch my Wr after 5 yards...Say hello to my fade, slant, fade stop, corner and flag routes if you try to man him up.(the difference between a big Wr and smallish Wr running these routes is simple...A quality corner can abuse Holmes Harrison Wayne for those first 5 yards...Moss Owens Jackson Johnson abuse the corners...Plus there bigger stronger men who know where the ball is going...Body position is key in todays NFL)

If you play 8 in the box...That means my Te is in man coverage against a linebacker or a safety who is up to play the run... my Other Wr is man coverage against your #2 corner. Say hello to Heath Miller and Santonio Holmes

Your limited with cover 2 looks...If your Mike Backer is bailing I will run power football at you all day long.

Cover 4...Say hello to my smoke routes...Have your 185-190 pound corner take on my 230 pound Wr...He may last 2 quarters

Run blocking and Red Zone production is obvious

LatrobePA
01-16-2008, 01:31 PM
personaly i think the steelers are nuts if they don't re-sign faneca i mean ben had a great year but, man he took a beating this year and that was with faneca. we can give ben all the money in the world but he is only going to be as good as our O line lets him!

He took a beating with 66 in there so how good was he? We'll never know???

K Train
01-16-2008, 01:37 PM

if me bashing the idea of tall wrs and fat backs makes you think i only like midgets...thats not what i meant....you obviously understand that just because a WR is tall they can still suck ***, if we get a dude who is 8 feet tall and hes a pussy and cant catch and hes slow...that doenst do any good, but hey...if hardy or bowman want to come be steelers i wont mind, because they got what it takes to be a WR in the nfl. but theres alot of tall WRs in college who will never sniff the idea of an nfl contract because they suck.

Calvin Johnson=tall=fast=badass

Dallas Baker=tall=slow=scrub.

if we draft a big WR so be it, i just hope it doesnt turn out to be another matt jones or mike williams

seth_westover
01-16-2008, 01:50 PM
i agree with train! he nailed it! im prayin to get a big guy with sum actual talent! we had it with plex, hopefully we can get another one! hardy or bowman would be great in black and gold! think about trying to stop heath hines santonio hardy and the threat of willie on a check down! lol! thats a bad *** offense! now we just gotta hope we can get that big threat and have a good enough line to keep ben off his ***! if we dnt get the line, then it dnt matter that we have all those weapons! if we can get Oher Chris Williams or Otah in the first round, then Hardy or Bowman in the second, and then by some chance Antoine Cason is there is the thrid or if we take him in the second and the hardy or bowman fall to us in the third, that would be a picture perfect draft! and i might actually have a heart attack! lol!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-16-2008, 02:15 PM
We've got a 6'5" TE and 6'7" TE, they have been used more this year than ever but we should use them even more. Both of them are money and there's no DB in the league that could defend a fade in the endzone to a 6'7" Spaeth.

If Ben wants a big, tall, WR then get him one but don't go get him another underachieving Plaxico...get the guy a quality player and do it early so you can assure yourself the best possible chance of getting a solid player.

FC FURY
01-16-2008, 02:37 PM

1st round pick Vs 7th round pick.

Obviously the player has to be quality...I am talking first day pick. Or a special second day player.

James Hardy/Limas Sweed/Adarious Bowman would be a perfect examples..After they run at the combine they will fall into the later portion of the 2nd round(they will run around 4.65's 40)..I would be tempted. Bowman and Sweed have health concerns...Hardy has courage issues.

The Bottom line is this.

The team must protect Ben

I think Faneca and Starks leave. The Steelers must draft 2 OL and 1 DL in this draft...OT is a must..Oher or Otah will be there...I cant see the Steelers passing on either one. If you move Colon inside to LG you must draft another tackle...John Greco from Toledo would be a fine 3rd round pick. If you leave Colon at Rt...Roy Scheunning is possible in the 3rd round. 2nd Round pick will most likely be the best 34 end on the board Dre Moore or Pat Simms...1 of the Wr's mentioned above or a player like Chris Johnson from ECU could fall to the Steelers in round 2.

The 2008 draft is very deep

The Steelers have done a terrible job drafting outside of the 1st 2 rounds over the past 5 years.

Colon is decent
Smith is decent
Spaeth is decent

The Steelers need to put together 2-3 complete drafts.(hit on 4+ players)

SteelerFan87
01-16-2008, 03:07 PM
I would love to have a tall WR. Obviously we can't just get some talentless scrub who happens to be tall and say "See! We got you your tall WR Ben!" That's just stupid. I think it's assumed that when we talk about tall WRs, we mean tall WRs who are GOOD.

I would also love to keep Faneca, but Ben, if you really want all this stuff, you better take one hell of a hometown discount on your new contract.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-16-2008, 03:52 PM
Spaeth is decent

Actually the first thing they need to do is realize how important the position is; according to Colbert and Tomlin they don't think the OL is in that bad of shape. It may not need a complete overhaul but damn I would hope they realize the gravity of the situation and how bad the depth really is at Guard and Center on this team and how much worse it will be if Starks and Faneca go. Unless they wise up and really address that issue Ben is going to continue to get killed and Willie will continue to have defenders in his face.

SteelerFan87
01-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Actually the first thing they need to do is realize how important the position is; according to Colbert and Tomlin they don't think the OL is in that bad of shape. It may not need a complete overhaul but damn I would hope they realize the gravity of the situation and how bad the depth really is at Guard and Center on this team and how much worse it will be if Starks and Faneca go. Unless they wise up and really address that issue Ben is going to continue to get killed and Willie will continue to have defenders in his face.

I'm sure they realize how important it is. I mean, Colbert can't really come out and say "Yeah, our OL sucks. Those guys are all bums. We have to replace all of them." Most of those guys will be back next year no matter what we do, so Colbert can't say they all suck. Colbert's just saying the politically correct thing.

Stlrs4Life
01-16-2008, 04:12 PM
A tall wide receiver,

I believe someone reading the article that continues to disagree about the big wr is mentally challenged. I will not get into name calling...Or stupid online wars.

Ben has a comfort zone with a big Wr's...I believe I would attempt to accommodate my Pro Bowl Qb.

The Rules are skewed towards big strong Wr's in todays NFl.

:plus1:

We don't throw 80 yards every time anyway.

PsychoWard
01-16-2008, 04:21 PM
He took a beating with 66 in there so how good was he? We'll never know???

thats my point he took a beating with him and he is a pro bowl linemen now how many years????? imagine the line without him!!!

FC FURY
01-16-2008, 05:12 PM
according to Colbert and Tomlin

Kendoll Simmons was worthy of an extension and Sean Mahan was the answer at center. I am not trying to be a dick...Colbert better step up his game.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-16-2008, 06:19 PM
if me bashing the idea of tall wrs and fat backs makes you think i only like midgets...thats not what i meant....you obviously understand that just because a WR is tall they can still suck ***, if we get a dude who is 8 feet tall and hes a pussy and cant catch and hes slow...that doenst do any good, but hey...if hardy or bowman want to come be steelers i wont mind, because they got what it takes to be a WR in the nfl. but theres alot of tall WRs in college who will never sniff the idea of an nfl contract because they suck.

if we draft a big WR so be it, i just hope it doesnt turn out to be another matt jones or mike williams

I was responding to Koopa and when did I ever mention the Steelers drafting a big RB or crying like others for the next Bettis?.....I'm actually one of the few anymore happy with Willie as the starter...Only think I have been saying is improve the OL and give the other RBs more carries to spell Willie at times...If the Steelers draft a RB I don't care if its a big RB or not....lol You're the so called genius so I don't understand why you mentioned big RBs.....

Thanks for telling me Calvin Johnson is a badass and Dallas Baker is a scrub....:lol:....Like I didn't know that...Sorry don't need you to educate me on anything on the NFL....So sorry God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its just funny that some still can't understand what WRs like Randy Moss, TO,Plax,Larry Fitzgerald can do for an offense......It opens everything up on a offense.....This post again isn't for you Ktrain....Its for Koopa on Big WRs.....If the Steelers can find one of those type WRs it would make Ben better...It would open things up for Ward,Holmes and Miller.....Plus Koopa I wasn't suggesting Ben just throw 40 yard bombs all day....lol But I was just stating many times in Ben's rookie year Ben escaped pressure and just threw it up and deep to Plax.....Would be nice to have that threat again...Thats all....If the Steelers draft a WR that is short that is a badass also then whatever....I don't care just as long as the player is good for the 300th time......

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------

1st round pick Vs 7th round pick.

Obviously the player has to be quality...I am talking first day pick. Or a special second day player.

James Hardy/Limas Sweed/Adarious Bowman would be a perfect examples..After they run at the combine they will fall into the later portion of the 2nd round(they will run around 4.65's 40)..I would be tempted. Bowman and Sweed have health concerns...Hardy has courage issues.

The Bottom line is this.

The team must protect Ben

I think Faneca and Starks leave. The Steelers must draft 2 OL and 1 DL in this draft...OT is a must..Oher or Otah will be there...I cant see the Steelers passing on either one. If you move Colon inside to LG you must draft another tackle...John Greco from Toledo would be a fine 3rd round pick. If you leave Colon at Rt...Roy Scheunning is possible in the 3rd round. 2nd Round pick will most likely be the best 34 end on the board Dre Moore or Pat Simms...1 of the Wr's mentioned above or a player like Chris Johnson from ECU could fall to the Steelers in round 2.

The 2008 draft is very deep

The Steelers have done a terrible job drafting outside of the 1st 2 rounds over the past 5 years.

Colon is decent
Smith is decent
Spaeth is decent

Both Hardy and Bowman have been mentioned by various people on this site......I like James Hardy....I have watched him play many times...I live in Indiana so he plays his college ball my neck of the woods....I like would have seen and read on Bowman also....I'm not big on Sweed though...

You're right protecting Big Ben is the main concern heading into this off-season....I want the Steelers to draft a LT in the first round.....I like Oher.....I also like Chris Williams from Vandy......I also like Ryan Clady but I don't think he will be there when the Steelers picks in the first.....

Would be nice to find some DEs in this draft also...But finding 3-4 DL is tough....Thats why I'm thinking WR in the second or Chris Johnson.....Johnson is a big time KR...Thats a huge need for this team...He is a RB so that would be depth at RB....I know he has the skill set to play some WR....Would have no problems with the Steelers spending a 2 round pick on Johnson if he is there when the Steelers pick....

The Steelers have to have a good second day of the draft.....The Steelers drafting on the second day has sucked for years now....

Koopa
01-16-2008, 06:21 PM
i understand what a wr would bring to the table, i just can't stand when ppl cry for one acting like they are easy to find........ that's why i think it's overrated, mainly cause of all the crying for one.......... sure it would be nice, but no point in crying cause we ain't gonna get one that's worht a damn, and if we did the rooneys would just let them walk in a few years and we'd just be starting all over again.........

i'm editing this post cause i saw limas sweed mentioned........... i've seen him his whole college career, i've seen every game he's played in, and while he's shown signes of being good, he will drop the easy passes, he's gonna suck in the nfl

Black@Gold Forever32
01-16-2008, 06:27 PM
i understand what a wr would bring to the table, i just can't stand when ppl cry for one acting like they are easy to find........ that's why i think it's overrated, mainly cause of all the crying for one.......... sure it would be nice, but no point in crying cause we ain't gonna get one that's worht a damn, and if we did the rooneys would just let them walk in a few years and we'd just be starting all over again.........

I'm not crying or whining...Just offering it would be nice to have a talent like that again....:lol:I think James Hardy is a player....I'm a fan of his and would like to see the Steelers draft him...

The Rooney's have kept many players since Heinz Field...

Lucky you're a fan only since this decade...Players use to leave left and right in the mid to late 90s before Heinz Field opened in 2001....It was Plax's own fault why he wasn't resigned....I wasn't one of those Plax haters...I actually jumped up and down when he was drafted in 2000....If Plax had a better attitude he would have been resigned....Plax just got by on his talent...He has came into his own as a Giant though....

The kiss of death for Plax was his comments right after the Steelers lost to the Pats in the 2004 AFC title game.....After those comments I knew Plax was gone for sure....He sealed his own fate.....

Koopa
01-16-2008, 06:42 PM
I'm not crying or whining...Just offering it would be nice to have a talent like that again....:lol:I think James Hardy is a player....I'm a fan of his and would like to see the Steelers draft him...

The Rooney's have kept many players since Heinz Field...

Lucky you're a fan only since this decade...Players use to leave left and right in the mid to late 90s before Heinz Field opened in 2001....It was Plax's own fault why he wasn't resigned....I wasn't one of those Plax haters...I actually jumped up and down when he was drafted in 2000....If Plax had a better attitude he would have been resigned....Plax just got by on his talent...He has came into his own as a Giant though....

The kiss of death for Plax was his comments right after the Steelers lost to the Pats in the 2004 AFC title game.....After those comments I knew Plax was gone for sure....He sealed his own fate.....

glad i'm not the only one that didn't hate plax (although i hated when he'd drop the easiest catches)........ it was cowhers fault he didn't become the player he is now, had plax stayed and was in this offense he'd have been unstoppable.....but since we had the most overrated coach ever when he was here, he wasn't allowed to live up to his potential cause the offense was geared to only running

i just think we have bigger needs then trying to find that almighty tall wr........ i rather us draft a legit running back then a tall wr....... we need to focus on that oline.......... i know we should reach for a guy, but wr's is the least of our worries right now

K Train
01-16-2008, 07:53 PM
try to tell me the thought of mike williams or matt jones doesnt scare you when you think about wasting a first or second round pick on one of them.

maybe the calvin johnson one was a bad one to use....but you get what i mean lol

EDIT-B@G32....i responed to your post, but i was talking in general to everyone, im not calling you out, its a general response...your one of the few people i usually agree with when it comes to the draft lol

steelerschick1220
01-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Whether Ben wants a wide receiver or not, our o-line is more of a problem. If the o-line doesn't do its job, he'll be on the ground and won't ever get to throw to that receiver.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-16-2008, 08:36 PM
try to tell me the thought of mike williams or matt jones doesnt scare you when you think about wasting a first or second round pick on one of them.

maybe the calvin johnson one was a bad one to use....but you get what i mean lol

EDIT-B@G32....i responed to your post, but i was talking in general to everyone, im not calling you out, its a general response...your one of the few people i usually agree with when it comes to the draft lol

Dude I hope you know I was just being a smartass and don't take me to serious when sounding like an Ahole at times....Trust me I'm scared of James Hardy or any other tall WR being the next Mike Williams or Matt Jones and wasting a second round pick....But any player any size could be a bust....Thats what makes the draft a crap shoot.....The Steelers just need to draft smart period....Get good football players period...I just have a feeling about James Hardy...I'm not saying TO or Randy Moss level....But I think he could be a very good WR at the NFL level....

steelerfan11
01-16-2008, 09:51 PM
I can understand Ben wanting a tall WR, the problem with using Miller as his bail out is Miller is sometimes held back at the line to help hold off the pass rush so he's not always down field.

They should let miller and spaeth in the game...leave spaeth on the line and motion heath into the slot position...that way he won't get get held back to help the pass rush, or have it the other way. That way we have a tall WR/TE that a DB can't cover and will give someone else to pass to.

FC FURY
01-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Miller doesnt have the speed to threaten the seam of a zone defense.

The Steelers Te's and Backs are used in Pass Protection quite a bit as well

Spaeth is NOT a natural receiver or route runner...He can run block and make a few plays in the passing game...He will never be confused with Brent Jones

The Steelers have alot of needs.

They must enter this draft with mindset of BPA that fills a need

BlitzburghRockCity
01-17-2008, 07:07 AM
Heath is a big threat in the seam of a defense, he catches a lot of his passes on routes that go right down the middle because he's such a big target with great hands. He's money no matter where he catches the ball. Spaeth though yeah he's still learning his craft. He's a great blocker but he's got the tools to be a solid pass catcher if they use him more. He would be total money in the red zone on a fade route if he works on his catching skills. :yesnod:

FC FURY
01-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Miller is alot more Mark Bavaro then Shannon Sharpe. Not an attack on Miller in any way. Miller isnt going to out run many NFL Safeties.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-17-2008, 09:16 AM
This is true, Heath has some deceptive speed but he's no turbo charger by anymeans :lol: If they use him the way he is capable of being used every week he could be near the top of the league in TE's year in and out. He is in tough company though with the likes of Gates, Heap, Gonzalez, etc.

K Train
01-17-2008, 02:27 PM
weather he can outrun them or not, hes alot bigger than them and hes a load to bring down...he has the ability to own the middle of the field

Mike Tomlin
01-17-2008, 03:56 PM
weather he can outrun them or not, hes alot bigger than them and hes a load to bring down...he has the ability to own the middle of the field

Yeah Heath is just fast enough to to stretch the field and draw the safety deeper than most TE's. I think if we could get Matt Jones for cheap that would be huge for the offense. With Heath and and Hines working the middle of the field it would be hard to cover Santonio and Jones. What 3rd corner in the league would win a one on one match up with a guy 6-6 232 runnin 4.37 with good hands? either way this guy would create good match ups for our team, then those fades Bruce love would make sense.That would eliminate some of those sacks that Ben eats, and maybe he can learn to block like Hines.

K Train
01-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Matt jones is terrible, i never want him to be on this team....never

DIESELMAN
01-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Thats the problem with getting FA's, you don't know all the luggage they're carrying. Jones is injury prone and never lived up to his hype. I don't want him either.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Matt Jones never lived up to his hype I don't want any parts of him personally either. The good thing about FA's though is that they have a track record of performing so you generally know what you're going to get out of them. You can look back at all their stats, medical history, etc and usually get a good feel for how they'll do...vs a rookie who even though is a top draft choice could still be a bust. You can't build through FA but you can sure fill some holes on your team.

steelcityrockers
01-17-2008, 11:22 PM
Yeah Heath is just fast enough to to stretch the field and draw the safety deeper than most TE's. I think if we could get Matt Jones for cheap that would be huge for the offense. With Heath and and Hines working the middle of the field it would be hard to cover Santonio and Jones. What 3rd corner in the league would win a one on one match up with a guy 6-6 232 runnin 4.37 with good hands? either way this guy would create good match ups for our team, then those fades Bruce love would make sense.That would eliminate some of those sacks that Ben eats, and maybe he can learn to block like Hines.

Yeah, that is exactly why he has been so great in the NFL so far. I mean WOW like 20 catches this year and was beat out by Ernest Wilford, Reggie Williams, Dennis Northcutt, and John Broussard. The only reason he actually got to play this year was because of some injuries.

Mike Tomlin
01-18-2008, 06:51 AM
Yeah, that is exactly why he has been so great in the NFL so far. I mean WOW like 20 catches this year and was beat out by Ernest Wilford, Reggie Williams, Dennis Northcutt, and John Broussard. The only reason he actually got to play this year was because of some injuries.He doesn't have to be great just need him to make catches when their thrown to him which he does(remember this is Jacksonville who rarely throws the ball anyway). He played QB in college and this his third year in the league playing WR and he was second on their team in receiving touchdowns with half the receptions. Imagine Hines skills rubbing of a big wideout like him. I tell you this i'd take him over ol' butterfinger Washington any day. We invite Barlow in to camp why no Jones, not looking for a number one guy just a better 3 than Washington maybe a 4.

steelcityrockers
01-18-2008, 09:36 AM
I would take Washington over Jones any day. He is terrible. He is big which apparently some people think we need a big wide out (we don't), but his routes suck, his hands aren't really all that great as he tends to try to make the one handed grab all the time. The Jacksonville offense isn't extremely complicated so you would think that he would have learned it by now which he hasn't.

K Train
01-18-2008, 12:32 PM
jones was a combine workout warrior...and that was the peak of his career

Mike Tomlin
01-18-2008, 01:43 PM
jones was a combine workout warrior...and that was the peak of his career

LOL! Damn near ,but I just think his speed and size alone would open up the field for everyone else Heath and Hines would kill inside and Holmes would be open deep.I think he could catch that those 2 passes that would be thrown to him lol!

Black@Gold Forever32
01-18-2008, 04:43 PM
I would take Washington over Jones any day. He is terrible. He is big which apparently some people think we need a big wide out (we don't), but his routes suck, his hands aren't really all that great as he tends to try to make the one handed grab all the time. The Jacksonville offense isn't extremely complicated so you would think that he would have learned it by now which he hasn't.

Ben wants a big WR.....But you don't......I think I will take the Pro Bowl QBs word over yours...:lol: As for Matt Jones....Hell No I don't want the Steelers to pick up his sorry ***....I would take Nate over Matt Jones also.....I just think adding a tall physical WR that creates separation would be nice for Ben to have...Is it a huge need no...Its just to have a threat like that.....I don't care if the Steelers draft a WR that is 5-10 just as long as the WR can play....I would just prefer them to look at some taller WR in this draft thats all for the thousand time..lol

steelcityrockers
01-18-2008, 07:19 PM
I wouldn't mind if we got a big WR I would just rather have someone who can play (i.e. not Matt Jones) I would gladly take a 5'9'' WR than a 6'7'' guy who sucks and can't create seperation.

Iron City South
01-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Limas Sweed - Texas - 6'5 220

Adarius Bowman - Ok State - 6'4 220

Marcus Monk - Arkansas - 6'6 220

I'll take any one of 'em.....

steelcityrockers
01-19-2008, 11:52 AM
They likely won't take Bowman because of his past. Sweed could be gone before they pick if his work outs are half way decent...Monk would be ok I guess. I don't think he will go real high. His only issue is can he create seperation.

Mike Tomlin
01-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Limas Sweed - Texas - 6'5 220

Adarius Bowman - Ok State - 6'4 220

Marcus Monk - Arkansas - 6'6 220

I'll take any one of 'em.....

I just want a taller receiver on this team draft, Free agency ..whatever. As long as he catches the ball and strecthes the field. I don't know about Monk he still hadn't recovered from his early season injury, if he has i'm all for it.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Can't we just clone Hines and stretch him out about another 5 inches? That would do the trick and make everyone happy :lol:

Mike Tomlin
01-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Can't we just clone Hines and stretch him out about another 5 inches? That would do the trick and make everyone happy :lol:

I would be rough on the Defense though (Ed Reed:poke:)

Stairwayto7
01-21-2008, 07:02 AM
If we are shopping for an O-linemen in free agency, Faneca is the best available. I hope Alan will bend a little, and we can get this done.

Ben I agree with the need for a taller WR. Hopefully a 4th or 5th year veteran.