PDA

View Full Version : Oher is declaring; ** UPDATE **Oher calls reverse, will return

DIESELMAN
01-15-2008, 01:58 AM
OXFORD - Ole Miss offensive tackle Michael Oher is declaring for the NFL draft and won't return for his senior season, the All-SEC selection said tonight.

"It was kind of a tough decision, but I just felt like I was going to be a high pick and had to go and do my own thing," said Oher, a 6-foot-5, 322-pound junior from Memphis.

Oher, who was the featured subject in The Blind Side, a book by Michael Lewis about the evolution of the left tackle position, said he received a report from NFL officials about his status for the April draft.

"I didn't read the thing, from people I've talked to, I've got a pretty good chance of being in the first round," said Oher.

First-round picks stand to make millions of dollars in guaranteed bonuses and contracts. And it's not just the glamour positions like quarterback and running back that cash in now.

Last year, after Wisconsin offensive tackle Joe Thomas was selected by the Cleveland Browns as the No. 3 overall pick, Thomas signed a contract worth $43 million - $23 million guaranteed.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2008, 02:02 AM
the one mock I saw had him going mid first round depending on how things shake out; and 1 other one had him tagged for dropping into the early 20's in the 1st round.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-15-2008, 02:05 AM
I like this guy a ton.....He would be my pick...

DIESELMAN
01-15-2008, 02:06 AM
Now that he's in the mix, there are about 6-10 teams ahead of us that need OL help. We definitely need to trade up and get in the fight for one of these top OT's.

K Train
01-15-2008, 11:56 AM
you guys might not realize it but this is HUGE, he will play a key role in making sure we get the guy we are targeting not named baker because now there is

Long
Otah
Cherilus
Oher
Gandy
Williams
Baker

thats a TON of tackles with a first round grade

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't John Reinstra the last tackle we took in 1st round?? No wonder why we have not taken one since....

K Train
01-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Jamaine Stephens i think lol

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Jamaine Stephens i think lol

Another stellar pick....:greengrin:

BR7
01-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Surely we can dangle Mahan to a few teams that want a stellar center so we can move up and get a top notch tackle...

Jesus, lol.. Stephens.. haha.

steelcityrockers
01-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Simmons was a tackle at Auburn. So technically he was the last tackle we took in the first round.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-15-2008, 05:58 PM
you guys might not realize it but this is HUGE, he will play a key role in making sure we get the guy we are targeting not named baker because now there is

Long
Otah
Cherilus
Oher
Gandy
Williams
Baker

thats a TON of tackles with a first round grade

You forgot Ryan Clady............He is another top OT in this draft......

K Train
01-15-2008, 06:38 PM
i said gandy, i meant clady lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2008, 07:32 PM
There's a bunch teams that could justify getting a franchise Tackle in this draft too.

Chiefs
Jets
Bucs
Lions
Texans
Falcons

Those teams could go for more glamorous picks at skill positions but those are some that definitely could use a good T in this draft and they all pick ahead of us. The Falcons probably go with a QB and the Jets with a RB so that helps our cause. If this team is smart they take this opportunity to get the beast T we need.

K Train
01-15-2008, 07:35 PM
There's a bunch teams that could justify getting a franchise Tackle in this draft too.

Chiefs
Jets
Bucs
Lions
Texans
Falcons

Those teams could go for more glamorous picks at skill positions but those are some that definitely could use a good T in this draft and they all pick ahead of us. The Falcons probably go with a QB and the Jets with a RB so that helps our cause. If this team is smart they take this opportunity to get the beast T we need.

cheifs yes.

jets just used a 4th overall pick on brick, they arent ready to use another top pick on a lineman...they salivate over the thought of chris long.

Bucs yes.

Lions will probably go WR or defense lol

Texans will pass on yet another one even though its a glaring need lol

Pencil matt ryan in atl

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2008, 07:42 PM
cheifs yes.

jets just used a 4th overall pick on brick, they arent ready to use another top pick on a lineman...they salivate over the thought of chris long.

Bucs yes.

Lions will probably go WR or defense lol

Texans will pass on yet another one even though its a glaring need lol

Pencil matt ryan in atl

You know the Lions will go WR, they don't know how to draft anyone else in the first round..LOL

I think this is the year the Texans finally get that OL they need to try and keep Matt Shaub from becoming another David Carr.

K Train
01-15-2008, 07:45 PM
i think they might go DB...dunte robinson is a badass but hes expected to miss 8 weeks into the season and they are getting to that point where they have a defense that people are gonna start to talk about. I think the oline wil be fine if they get a little more respectable running game because they passed on bush, and lynch and they have scrub runningbacks that no ones afraid of

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2008, 07:50 PM
they could also justify going WR with maybe with Kelly or Jackson. Andre Johnson just can't seem to stay healthy. I agree a better running game would help this team a lot but they need some more weapons at WR; consistent weapons. If they are smart they go OL but I could see a number of positions with that team.

They could also trade down a few spots to get Felix Jones and sure up that running game.

K Train
01-15-2008, 07:54 PM
imo andre johnson is the best WR in the league and has been for some time. another badass WR like kelly would really make that offense good enough to win shootouts with the colts.

and no, felix jones needs to be a steeler lol

Black@Gold Forever32
01-16-2008, 01:06 AM
i said gandy, i meant clady lol

I thought you did mean Clady.....But I was thinking who in the hell is this Gandy dude?....I thought maybe it was one of your sleepers....:lol:

BRICKTOWN BEAST
01-16-2008, 03:28 PM
I would acually be more happy if we drafted a pure center this year even more than an OT eccept I if we get an OT in the first and Center in the second. i mean we need a nick mangold in this draft and theres quite a few we could get . Alex Mack, Steve Justice, Mike Pollak, Adam Spieker, and we could get Kory Lichtensteiger or Doug Legursky in the 3rd round round possibly fourth. I'm not sure i like kendrall simmons at center. and yeah i go to www.walterfootball.com alot :)

AZ_Steeler
01-16-2008, 08:18 PM
I just saw on ESPN that he will return for his senior season

steelerfan11
01-16-2008, 09:31 PM
OXFORD, Miss. -- Mississippi tackle Michael Oher changed his mind and decided to return to school for his senior season, two days after making himself eligible for the NFL Draft.

The deadline for underclassmen to declare for the draft was Tuesday, but then they're given three days to change their minds, as long as they don't sign with an agent.

Oher, a junior, has been projected as a possible first- or second-round pick.

"While I felt good about being projected as a possible first-round pick and had everybody in my corner, it just kept coming back to me that I was leaving some unfinished business at Ole Miss," Oher said Wednesday in a statement. "It's really about winning more games and going to a bowl game. I wanted to be a part of making that happen."

Oher was traveling Wednesday and was expected to talk with media following the basketball game between Florida and No. 18 Ole Miss. Oher's father, Sean Tuohy, did not return a phone message Wednesday afternoon.

The 6-foot-5, 325-pound Memphis, Tenn., native was an all-Southeastern Conference first-team selection this year at left tackle and helped running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis to two straight 1,000-yard seasons. He has started 34 straight games for the Rebels in three seasons.

"I was excited when Michael called to say he's decided to return to Ole Miss for his senior season," Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt said. "Michael told me he wanted to make a commitment to his academics and to football and be the very best football player he can be. It's good to have him back in the Ole Miss family."

Oher's rise from homeless teen to can't-miss left tackle prospect was chronicled in Michael Lewis' best-selling book, "The Blind Side."
AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2007-2008, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10581051