PDA

View Full Version : Salary cap 2008

BlitzburghRockCity
01-14-2008, 11:43 PM
I've been doing some research and according to what I've found so far it looks like we will be in pretty good shape heading into the offseason this year as far as the salary cap goes.

the NFL cap will be at 116 million this year and we could have as much as $15 million to spend under the cap depending on what they do with any of the RFA's or UFA's we have on our roster.

Here is good resource that is regularly updated with all the contract numbers for each player. http://www.steelersalarycap.com/

K Train
01-14-2008, 11:48 PM
i demand ward and troy restructure immediately

AZ_Steeler
01-15-2008, 02:32 AM
It's pretty obvious priority numero uno is Big Ben.. after that I could care less but Ward might need to start to think about what's best for the team or try his luck elsewhere. He was effective when he played this year but it wasn't to often.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2008, 02:38 AM
Ward will have no problems restructuring his deal for this year, neither will Troy. Players always do that and take more money up front so there is less of a salary cap hit for that current year.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-15-2008, 02:41 AM
Troy should after the year he had...Hell I think he owes the Rooney's 5 million.....lol

AZ_Steeler
01-15-2008, 02:42 AM
I wonder if Troy is pissed that Ike is slated to make almost a mill more than he is ? :D

Black@Gold Forever32
01-15-2008, 02:45 AM
I wonder if Troy is pissed that Ike is slated to make almost a mill more than he is ? :D

He shouldn't Ike had a better year...lol Oct. 22 2006 was the last game that Troy had an INT....lol For a guy that once was compared to Ed Reed thats a joke....I know I'm beating a dead horse with Troy and his poor year...But when you're paid the big bucks they you have to produce...I don't want to hear excuses either...lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2008, 02:47 AM
Every year this team dances right on the brink of the salary cap. Now we may actually have some breathing room for once and if they don't spend it wisely and get us some decent lineman Im going to throw a fit! Man I long for the days before Colbert got here, back when we actually had a guy that knew how to draft quality players beyond the 3rd round.

dick rasile
01-15-2008, 05:28 PM
It's pretty obvious priority numero uno is Big Ben.. after that I could care less but Ward might need to start to think about what's best for the team or try his luck elsewhere. He was effective when he played this year but it wasn't to often.
Keep up that kind of talk and you'll never see that birthday.
Are you new around here. the man was MVP in the frigging Superbowl and the only go to receiver the team has.
Did you take the time to note how many times he was player of the game this year. Ward will finish out his playing days wearing the Black and Gold and that's all there is to it.
Put a tall fast young receiver on the other side who can go the deep route and watch the other teams defense go nuts.

K Train
01-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Are you new around here. the man was MVP in the frigging Superbowl and the only go to receiver the team has.
Did you take the time to note how many times he was player of the game this year. Ward will finish out his playing days wearing the Black and Gold and that's all there is to it.
Put a tall fast young receiver on the other side who can go the deep route and watch the other teams defense go nuts.

lol is AZ new? are you kidding?

Ward is old and dying, hes making entirely to much money, hes still mildly productive but not for the money hes making...he may finish his career with us, but hes gonna have to take a pay cut if he wants to, players restructure deals all the time to allow the team to function, if he wouldnt be willing to do that..bye bye.

People like you drive me nuts, you want ward to stay until he dies based on what hes done in the past and not what hes gonna do from here out....this might hurt your uterus but wards not even the best WR on this team anymore....gasp!

JensK
01-15-2008, 06:15 PM

Yep, hes new! I agree with all of you, that Hines isnt that amazing WR he have been. He is getting old and whats happening is all natural. However, as i see it, we can't affort to lose both Faneca and Hines in the same season. No matter how poor the are playing they are still a big part "steelers" and help each and everyone to get through hard times. People trust them. Loosing two of such players will be hard for new young players. Thats my point of view at least... No matter what, rutine isnt a bad thing to have :P

K Train
01-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Ward will continue to be effective, but hes making to much money when he plays primarily in the slot now and production has taken a nose dive. hes a beast and i love the guy but i refuse to swing from his nuts like some do

AZ_Steeler
01-15-2008, 06:35 PM

I think I'm far from being new around here, but thanks for being so observant ;) First and foremost I'm not trying to discredit Ward in anyway, I like the dude I think he's great and I love the physical play he brings when he plays. I would love nothing more than to see him finish his career as a Steeler but he is turning 32 in March and the clock is ticking. All I'm saying is he has a huge salary for someone who spends a lot of time on the sidelines in sweats! The Bus knew when he was getting near the end and he reworked his deal to help out the organization in hopes they would put the right guys around him so he could get to the super bowl. That's all I'm saying about Ward as well... I'm sure there will come a time when the FO asks Ward to rework his deal and hopefully he makes the right decision because based on the Steelers track record they aren't afraid to send star players packing.

Like I said though... I like Ward and I would like to see him stick around but there is going to be a time when he needs to make a decision and do what's best for the team and not Hines anymore. :yellowthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-15-2008, 07:16 PM
I guess old Dick never hear of Santonio Holmes?......He is a young WR that goes deep....Maybe you should watch some Steelers games and then you will learn something....

K Train
01-15-2008, 07:29 PM
I think I'm far from being new around here, but thanks for being so observant ;) First and foremost I'm not trying to discredit Ward in anyway, I like the dude I think he's great and I love the physical play he brings when he plays. I would love nothing more than to see him finish his career as a Steeler but he is turning 32 in March and the clock is ticking. All I'm saying is he has a huge salary for someone who spends a lot of time on the sidelines in sweats! The Bus knew when he was getting near the end and he reworked his deal to help out the organization in hopes they would put the right guys around him so he could get to the super bowl. That's all I'm saying about Ward as well... I'm sure there will come a time when the FO asks Ward to rework his deal and hopefully he makes the right decision because based on the Steelers track record they aren't afraid to send star players packing.

Like I said though... I like Ward and I would like to see him stick around but there is going to be a time when he needs to make a decision and do what's best for the team and not Hines anymore. :yellowthumb:
shutup noob lol

:hilarious:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2008, 08:04 PM
What just a minute here, you mean all this time I have a guy on staff who has Admin access and he's new around here :wtf:

Ward is beast, the best all around WR in the game but he's taken a ton of hits in his time and he just continues to dish them out like always. Right now if Ward plays the slot exclusively he'll be able to further his career and hopefully be able to stay more healthy. It takes longer for him to heal now and with Holmes is the deep threat on this team Hines can continue to be the clutch possession WR that we definitely need. In this day and age you need to have atleast 3 top notch WR's to be effective for a variety of reasons not the least of which is being able to withstand injury to one and not having to lose a beat. Holmes is the real deal, HInes is too but this team better get themselves another WR to complete the group along with Nate because Hines isn't getting any younger.

Harrison is an elder statesmen and still going strong but as you saw this year even he isn't immune to injury.