PDA

View Full Version : There's only 1 team that's still "the greatest of all time"

BlitzburghRockCity
01-12-2008, 09:06 AM
I stumbled across this article and it just made me smile :tt02: A writer with no apparent affiliation to the Steelers and someone not in the local Pittsburgh media just writing the article to set the records straight...

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080112/SPORTS13/801120359/1034/SPORTS

Some people are calling the New England Patriots the best team in NFL history. And if the Pats run the table in the playoffs -- starting with tonight's game against Jacksonville -- a lot of people will agree with them.

And they'll all be wrong. Only one team can be called the best of all time, and it ain't the Pats. That honor belongs to, and always will belong to, the Pittsburgh Steelers teams of the mid- to late 1970s that won four Super Bowls.

Pick any of their Super Bowl seasons, and those Steelers were better than these Patriots. And it doesn't matter that none of those Pittsburgh teams went undefeated.

It's all a matter of timing, and that's where the Patriots can't match up with the Steelers. You can't compare eras when it comes to talent, but you can compare them in other ways. And in this case, that means the era before free agency and the salary cap, and the era after they were made such an integral part of the game in 1994.

Those two related policy changes had an impact on the NFL like nothing else, with the possible exception of the college draft. They put restrictions on today's teams, restrictions the Steelers of the 1970s didn't have.

That's why it's impossible to put together a team like that now, and why nobody will ever touch them. Not even a team that goes 19-0.

This Patriots team had eight players selected to the Pro Bowl, and that's impressive. Those Steelers teams had nine players elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and that's unparalleled.

Look at the Patriots roster, and how many Hall of Famers do you see? Quarterback Tom Brady, of course, and probably resurrected receiver Randy Moss and linebacker Junior Seau. Perhaps one or two more could make it if the Pats win a couple more Super Bowls.

But nine from one team in the same era? It's never happened before, and it'll never happen again. That Steelers squad should have its own wing at Canton.

Their Hall of Famers on offense include all the skill players -- quarterback Terry Bradshaw, running back Franco Harris and wide receivers Lynn Swann and John Stallworth -- and center Mike Webster. On defense, it was end Joe Green, cornerback Mel Blount and linebackers Jack Ham and Jack Lambert.

So, Pittsburgh has more Hall of Famers from the '70s than the Eagles have had in 75 seasons. Plus, those Steelers teams had other players who made it to at least one Pro Bowl, like defensive end L.C. Greenwood, linebacker Andy Russell and defensive backs Donnie Shell, Glen Edwards and J.T. Thomas.

Then, the salary cap and free agency arrived, and everything changed. One of the great teams of the past 20 years was the Dallas Cowboys squad that won three Super Bowls from 1992 to 1995 with a star-studded lineup that had plenty of All-Pro players. When the salary cap and free agency era began, Dallas discovered it couldn't keep all of its stars.

Many of them left because the Cowboys simply couldn't squeeze all of those players under their cap, and Dallas became the first team that had to make the tough decision of whom to keep and whom to let walk away. They focused on quarterback Troy Aikman, running back Emmitt Smith and receiver Michael Irvin, but free agency and the cap chipped away at them until the Cowboys became just another team.

The Steelers' best players in the 1970s, their Hall of Famers, played their entire career in Pittsburgh, with the exception of Harris, who played his final season with Seattle, and Webster, who finished up with Kansas City.

New England deserves plenty of credit for the mini-dynasty it has created despite the salary cap. The Patriots are a very good team, and if they go 19-0 they'll be a great team. But they'll never be the greatest team.

steelersgal86
01-12-2008, 09:19 AM
Very nice article :yellowthumb:

ARKIESTEEL
01-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Hell yeah good stuff..........I needed cheered up still feel like there is a hole in my gut

floodcitygirl
01-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Hell yeah good stuff..........I needed cheered up still feel like there is a hole in my gut:ditto:

Stlrs4Life
01-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Awesome read. I am sure glad I was able to live them days. Sure would love to return to them.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Im able to remember the very latter part of the Dynasty years but damn it must have been awesome to go to TRS and watch the Steel Curtain in action every week. :towelwave:

I don't think we'll ever see a team like that again though, even the other good teams of the 70's like the Raiders, Cowboys, etc. were built and stuck together like teams today will never be able to do again because free agency and the draf has just taken the NFL to in a whole different direction. This is a what have you done for me lately and how much can I get somewhere else kind of league anymore...

yinzer
01-12-2008, 11:45 AM
that was great! pulitzer prize anyone?

Koopa
01-12-2008, 02:55 PM
i know ppl are gonna bitch and moan, but i could care less..........athletes today are by far superior to anyone in the 70s and 80s, so i have a hard time believing any team from that era can compete.......

PsychoWard
01-12-2008, 03:10 PM
VERY NICE READ

BlitzburghRockCity
01-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Im listening to espnradio here at work..salisbury and kusilias are saying how if the Pats go 19-0 they are automatically the greatest team ever. To me that's total bullshit for this reason. There is no way you can say the Dolphins wouldn't have won 19 games if they had to play them; anymore than you can say the Patriots would win all 14 games if they played in 72. They would be one of the greatest of all time yes but certainly not THE greatest.

MDSteel15
01-12-2008, 03:51 PM
OK here we go:
1. Koopa - PLEASE, not even going to argue
2. 70's Steelers are the single greatest ERS team ever assembled.
3. Dolphins team played against 2, I repeat 2, teams that year tha had a winning record and neither of them made the playoffs...
4. Unfortunately, Patsies will be the single season greatest bought team of all time.

Everyone can argue this but for one season they will be considered the best. As a dynasty, I think it hurts them that they interchanged so many players. There is no team loyalty the way it used to be. For the most part the Steelers had the last TRUE dynasty.

SteelerFan87
01-12-2008, 03:54 PM
1. I loved the part about the Pats little "mini dynasty". :D

2. Salisbury, I'm sure, would leave his wife (if he's married?) if he thought he had a chance to have a gay love affair with Tom Brady. Seriously. Just listen to him. Not only does he swoon over Brady's play, but he even said something about how "Tom Brady is very attractive".
And Kusilius is worthless. Stereotypical talking head. He loves the Pats because they're the big story, just like how the rest of ESPN loves the Pats.
I value Mark Madden's opinion more than Kusilius's, and that's really saying something. lol

Hburg
01-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Reasons the Steelers of the 70s were so great:

1: They came from nothing. Before the Chuck Noll era began, the Steelers were the joke of the NFL. The 07 Pats were great a few years back, and attached a price tag to the team to reach the level they are at.

2: They were the birth of a legacy for the entire franchise. Since the 70s the Steelers have been known as a team that is constantly competitive, and often in the playoffs.

3: The team was completely balanced. I have seen no other great team that had such a dominance in all aspects of the game. The offense had a great passing game, as well as a powerful running game. The defense and the Steel Curtain goes without saying, but the secondary was amazingly effective as well when it came to preventing the deep play. Show me a team as balanced, that remained as balanced as the Steelers for as long as they did. In the NFL 4 seasons of championships is amazing. But in total there were two other seasons that the team remained strong, even in defeat in the playoffs. No other team was able to achieve a similar feat, even before free-agency. Today, free-agency allows more balanced play around the league, but makes it harder for players to achieve legacies with any single team. Today's athletes are stronger, faster, and last longer. But that can also speak to the strength of that Steelers team that remained whole for as long as it did, when it did.

Okay, if my bias hasn't shown already, it will now: 70s Dynasty Steelers versus 07 Patriots.

I'll take the Original Dynasty of the NFL every time. I only wish I could see Tom Brady running scared from Lambert, Greene, and the rest of the Steel Curtain. And I also wish I could see Bellicheck's face while Bradshaw goes deep to Swann or Stallworth.

BuFu

yinzer
01-12-2008, 07:26 PM
i know ppl are gonna bitch and moan, but i could care less..........athletes today are by far superior to anyone in the 70s and 80s, so i have a hard time believing any team from that era can compete.......

EXACTLY.

Koopa
01-13-2008, 04:39 AM
the dolphins that went undefeated played like 3 or 4 teams that were above .500........ they played only 14 games a season, they wouldn't even beat the 1-15 dolphins this year

again, no teams in the 60s, 70s or 80s could compete with the scrubs of this league......

hell, put the 2003 6-10 steelers team in 72 and they go undefeated

JensK
01-13-2008, 06:07 AM
Well, back in the 70s the Steelers played teams who had the same conditions as they had. If that Steeler team were playing today they would have the same training conditions as Patriots. I dont see the big deal? Its like saying that when to the moon it wasnt anything big, because they easily could do it today. Sure as hell it was an accomplisment, just like the 70s Steelers :) You can't compare the two teams from like that, but you can compare them with how good they are against the teams, and under the conditions they have/had when playing.

catlabman
01-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Here, Here, very nice read. But, we could have told them that!

DIESELMAN
01-13-2008, 10:31 AM
the dolphins that went undefeated played like 3 or 4 teams that were above .500........ they played only 14 games a season, they wouldn't even beat the 1-15 dolphins this year

again, no teams in the 60s, 70s or 80s could compete with the scrubs of this league......

hell, put the 2003 6-10 steelers team in 72 and they go undefeated

Brian Griese broke his ankle in week 5, so going undefeated with backup QB Earl Morrall is pretty amazing. Can any "superior" team do that in this day and age? Could Matt Cassel lead the Pats to a undefeated season? Seriously doubt it.

MDSteel15
01-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Brian Griese broke his ankle in week 5, so going undefeated with backup QB Earl Morrall is pretty amazing. Can any "superior" team do that in this day and age? Could Matt Cassel lead the Pats to a undefeated season? Seriously doubt it.

That is remarkable!!! Brian Greise has been playing for 35 years? lol... Bob, his dad, was the QB. Earl Morrall also took the Colts to the Super Bowl against the Jets because Unitas was hurt! So I wouldn't say Morrall was a slouch!!

DIESELMAN
01-13-2008, 11:41 AM
That is remarkable!!! Brian Greise has been playing for 35 years? lol... Bob, his dad, was the QB. Earl Morrall also took the Colts to the Super Bowl against the Jets because Unitas was hurt! So I wouldn't say Morrall was a slouch!!
Never said Morrall was a slouch, just a backup. Any QB would be a backup to Bob Griese back then.

Dee Mca
01-13-2008, 12:15 PM
I went to whatifsports.com and ran 4 sims using each of the 70's Steeler Teams. This is the results I got:
'75 Steelers 20 NE 6- Completely shut down Brady. Franco ran all day thou.
'76 Steelers 16 NE 7- Brady threw for like 218 I think.
'79 Steelers 20 NE 17- This time Brady threw for 300 but he also had 3 ints.
'80 Steelers 27 NE 6- This by far was the best game Franco had 121 and then Rocky had 73. The D was all over Brady. Lambert and Ham each had 3 sacks a piece. The secondary had 4 Int's 2 returned for Td's. I kn ow it doesn't mean much but It's a real neat website and funny to mess around with.

BBG7
01-13-2008, 12:41 PM
great read!!! Thanks for posting

Steelerlyn
01-13-2008, 01:06 PM
At the beginning of the year ESPN Page 2 asked its' readers to please choose the best NFL team of all time.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/football/teams/greatest.html

chooses the '85 Bears, '72 Dolphins, '62 Packers, '91 Redskins, '99 Rams, '89 49ers, '79 Steelers, '96 Packers, '91 Cowboys. Also receiving votes: '55 Browns, '74 Steelers, '73 Dolphins.

After it was published, the debate began, this is really very interesting and is a definite great read!~
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/readers/greatestNFL.html

Koopa
01-13-2008, 01:15 PM

thanks for proving my point, how easy it was in the 70s, it was so easy a scrub qb can come in and still go undefeated, now a days with the by far superior athletes you need to have a truly special team to undefeated.......

BlitzburghRockCity
01-13-2008, 02:29 PM
I would put any team of the 70's up against any team in the league today and the 70's teams would dominate IMO. Back then it was all about tough, physical, rip your head off and spit down your throat mentality. Teams of today,even the ones that say they are physical don't hold a candle to the 70's teams; and not just the 70's Steelers either.

You can finesse and pass and have all the weapons you want but when the front 4 come up and just punch you in the mouth all day long it just doesn't matter what the offense has.

Koopa
01-13-2008, 02:32 PM
I would put any team of the 70's up against any team in the league today and the 70's teams would dominate IMO. Back then it was all about tough, physical, rip your head off and spit down your throat mentality. Teams of today,even the ones that say they are physical don't hold a candle to the 70's teams; and not just the 70's Steelers either.

You can finesse and pass and have all the weapons you want but when the front 4 come up and just punch you in the mouth all day long it just doesn't matter what the offense has.

but rules have changed, you can't be dirty anymore..........plus this era has steroids so this era will still **** up the old bitches........... no one will ever convince me that a team in the 70s could compete in this era......... and speed beats power, cause power gets tired eventually while the speed keeps on going

BlitzburghRockCity
01-13-2008, 02:46 PM
That's precisely why teams of today couldn't compete with teams of the 70's. The rules were a lot less strict and the players were allowed to play more physical and hit harder. You can't do anything with speed when your WR's get jammed at the line so bad they can't even move, or having your QB getting sacked every other play because the defensive line just overpowers the blockers and pushes them right back.

Could teams of the 70's play today, sure IMO because they were tougher and more physical. Even with the rules of today being what they are I'll take physical and tough over speed anyday. :yesnod:

TampaSteelGirl
01-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Very, very nice article!! :tt02:

Steelerlyn
01-13-2008, 06:14 PM
As Terry Bradshaw says, when talking about football today "Put a dress on the qb."

DIESELMAN
01-13-2008, 07:12 PM
thanks for proving my point, how easy it was in the 70s, it was so easy a scrub qb can come in and still go undefeated, now a days with the by far superior athletes you need to have a truly special team to undefeated.......
I'll give you that Koop, todays athletes are superior in strength and maybe even speed. It takes more then those 2 things to win games, it also takes smarts, guts and heart. So I'll take the Steelers of the 70's just on those factors over any "superior" team of today.

MOTORKRAFT
01-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Good article. It still bothers me that there aren't more hall of famers from those mid 70 to late 70's team.

MDSteel15
01-13-2008, 10:32 PM
but rules have changed, you can't be dirty anymore..........plus this era has steroids so this era will still **** up the old bitches........... no one will ever convince me that a team in the 70s could compete in this era......... and speed beats power, cause power gets tired eventually while the speed keeps on going

Koopa, when do you think steroids began? That's how Lyle Alzado along with some other players died. It breaks down everything in your body. They were taking anabolic steroids before you were born!

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

As Terry Bradshaw says, when talking about football today "Put a dress on the qb."

Bingo:banana2:

[AutoMerged Post Below]

I'll give you that Koop, todays athletes are superior in strength and maybe even speed. It takes more then those 2 things to win games, it also takes smarts, guts and heart. So I'll take the Steelers of the 70's just on those factors over any "superior" team of today.

Hey Diesel, don't forget discipline. Which a load of players today know nothing about!

[AutoMerged Post Below]

Good article. It still bothers me that there aren't more hall of famers from those mid 70 to late 70's team.

There will be....:plus1:

Dan
01-14-2008, 04:25 AM
I think the 85 Bears are the best ever, but then again, I might be a little biased