PDA

View Full Version : Brace yourselves: ALL coaches likely to return in 2008, including ST coaches

BlitzburghRockCity
01-11-2008, 06:08 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08011/848338-66.stm

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is "pleased" with his current coaching staff and does not plan to make any changes.Mike Tomlin wants to bring back his entire coaching staff for another season -- unless something unforeseen happens, like a chance for any of them to improve themselves.

"At this point, my intention is to keep this staff intact," Tomlin said. "Things happen in this business and I am aware of it, but those are my intentions at this point."

Tomlin coached with none of the men on his staff in the pros, although he did have associations with several. Most of his first defensive staff worked for Bill Cowher and two offensive coaches were holdovers.

But despite some acknowledged failures in some areas of the team, including special teams, which has two coaches, Tomlin said he was generally "pleased with our staff."

"I think we have a bunch of unselfish men, who are willing teachers," Tomlin said. "Do we need to get better? Do we need to coach better in some areas; in all areas? Absolutely. Part of us being what we are capable of being is playing and coaching. We got to get better."

I read this and instantly choked on my breakfast sandwhich here at work! :eyecrazy:

Ok, let me first just say that I like Coach Tomlin's staff for the most part and Im glad they are all returning next year with the exception of 2 and we all know who those 2 are. Tomlin must really know something that we don't about Amos Jones and Bob Ligashesky because there is absolutely no way these guys should be returning to the team. It's not like we didn't have quality players on ST this year people. We had starters playing on ST again this year and once again ST was a big contributor in most of our losses this year. Our coverage stinks, our return game stinks, and unless we do a complete 180 turn next year they are going to stink again !! :cursin:

BlitzburghNation
01-11-2008, 07:00 AM
Really not surprised,figured he would bring everyone back !

Sure hope they fix our Special Teams Play,,,,,,,,:crossfingers:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-11-2008, 09:02 AM
I wasn't forseeing any changes to the coaching staff other than the ST guys. Coaching ST's is not something that should be that difficult to accomplish yet our unit has underachieved been terrible for quite awhile now. Except for the Super Bowl year when we were pretty good just look back over the last 16 years at how bad our ST's were, how many TD returns we've given, how many turnovers, long returns..it's really pathetic. I just don't get why we have so many problems with it. Im not so much worried about the return game, I mean yeah we need more production out of it but our coverage teams are just horrific. Nobody stays in their lanes, they get blocked out and miss tackles. That's as much coaching as it is the players.

LatrobePA
01-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Bummed, I'm over the BA thing, I think he'll work the kinks out, but the ST play was horrid, I for one was at least expecting a change there and the OL coach.

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Not surprised at all by this move.

dick rasile
01-11-2008, 03:31 PM
I read this and instantly choked on my breakfast sandwhich here at work! :eyecrazy:

Ok, let me first just say that I like Coach Tomlin's staff for the most part and Im glad they are all returning next year with the exception of 2 and we all know who those 2 are. Tomlin must really know something that we don't about Amos Jones and Bob Ligashesky because there is absolutely no way these guys should be returning to the team. It's not like we didn't have quality players on ST this year people. We had starters playing on ST again this year and once again ST was a big contributor in most of our losses this year. Our coverage stinks, our return game stinks, and unless we do a complete 180 turn next year they are going to stink again !! :cursin:
If those "two" are retained and there is no improvement then Tomlin is writing his exit. You need to admit when you're wrong and that's one of the ways a great coach stands out from the also rans.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-11-2008, 03:31 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_546905.html

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, January 11, 2008

Looking refreshed -- and saying he felt as energized as he ever has been at this time of year since becoming an NFL coach -- Mike Tomlin met with the media Thursday and discussed many things, including why he intends to keep his coaching staff intact, what went into the Steelers' decision to call a run for Ben Roethlisberger on a critical third-down play last Saturday and what positions the Steelers need to upgrade during the offseason.

Given the struggles the Steelers had on special teams and in protecting Roethlisberger this season, there was speculation that Tomlin would shake up his coaching staff a bit. He acknowledged that changes could happen but that his "intentions at this point" are to bring back all of his assistant coaches for the 2008 season.

"Generally I'm pleased with our staff. I think we've got a bunch of unselfish men who are willing teachers," Tomlin said at the Steelers' South Side practice facility. "Do we need to coach better in all areas? Absolutely."

One reason Bob Ligashesky and Amos Jones will apparently return as special teams coaches next season: Tomlin suspected the Steelers might struggle on special teams this season because they had lost players (Sean Morey, Mike Logan and Chidi Iwuoma as identified by Tomlin) that had been so pivotal for them in that area in past years.

"That's why I gave it its just due in preparation leading up to the season," Tomlin said of all the work the Steelers put into special teams during training camp. "I was looking for men to seize those roles and move forward. Obviously, we were unsuccessful in that area.

"We've got to coach better, we've got to play better. We'll leave no stone unturned in making ourselves into an elite unit. That is the standard because it's going to help us be world champs."

Well well, imagine that, you let go virtually every special teams ace and we suck. I was pulling for Chidi atleast to stick around this year. You have to have a couple ST's demons on your roster, those guys that contribute mainly in the return game. Guys like Morey, Iwouma, and Logan are invaluable to a team. You can't really afford to carry a bunch of them but it's pretty obvious that they aren't luxuries either so having 2 of them can make a world of difference. Kreidwalt is our only real special teams ace and he's been hurt. I don't care if they are only there to take up a roster spot on ST or not, it's more apparent than ever that you need some guys like this.

MDSteel15
01-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Maybe we should start bringing in guys that are very able to start on Defense for lesser teams and have them play ST! :scratch: Give them a little more :2cents: for insentive than the usual bakups and say prove your worth. Something to wake these big babies up.

black an gold 4 life
01-11-2008, 05:18 PM
mike tomlin said in this bizzness u never know, he said he anticapate them returning i would love 2 c his tampa 2 dfense n here i'm tired of the 3-4 getting beat other teams have 15 plus year of tape on us we need an change now...............

yinzer
01-11-2008, 08:00 PM
they better get their arses in gear and fix the special teams. i'm done with verbally beating up arians.