PDA

View Full Version : What does Ben need to work on for 2008

BlitzburghRockCity
01-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Ktrain touched on an area similar to this in another thread about Ben getting sacked all the time this year.

We all know the Offensive Line needs some tweaking and retooling for 2008 and they are the key to a successful campaign next year. Aside from the line, what all do you think Ben needs to improve on for next year. Here's a couple things I came up with.

1. Throw the damn ball away - Ben never gives up on a play, that's all well and good but he could avoid probably 1/3 of the sacks by just throwing it away. You can only hold onto it for so long until the pressure is bearing down on you and you just have to get rid of it. Arians had him taking a lot of quick drops against the Jags in the first half and that helped a lot to keep the pressure off him early on.

2. Take off and run more often - Ben is pretty good on his feet and he's a big guy so it's not easy to bring him down when he takes off. When he tucks the ball down and runs with it good things have happened for us. I think he should do that more often especially when a play breaks down.

K Train
01-10-2008, 08:20 PM
he will never throw the ball away, its not his style, the line has to give him more time, even then he'll proibably hold it to long lol.

i like when he runs, but i dont want him doing it to often, hes fragile lol.

we need to do more quick slants, let him get the ball out quick, he has a quick release, hes just stubborn

Koopa
01-10-2008, 08:25 PM
he will never throw the ball away, its not his style, the line has to give him more time, even then he'll proibably hold it to long lol.

i like when he runs, but i dont want him doing it to often, hes fragile lol.

we need to do more quick slants, let him get the ball out quick, he has a quick release, hes just stubborn

that's what i was gonna say but i didn't want ppl bitching at me, the dude is very fragile, so running to much would be a disaster.... i doubt he'll ever play a full season, so him running more will just make him miss more games

and i don't think he'll ever change, he's been in the league for 4 years now, he is who he is, he will never be a consistent quick thrower, he doesn't understand that a quick 10 yard pick up to heath or ward or holmes is just as effective as throwing 30+ yards, hell i'd say it's more effective throwing short passes, the longer the drive, the more tired the defense gets and the more rest ours gets.......and troy has stated that this defense isn't suited for to play a lot, they need a lot of rest to be effective

K Train
01-10-2008, 08:28 PM
he is who hes gonna be, i love the way he plays, i dont really bitch about him taking a sack, because the next play he escapes one for a big play....its a give or take thing

BlitzburghRockCity
01-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Im not saying he should go out and try to be some running maniac like Vince Young but I think when the opportunity presents itself he should take off more often. He eluded to needing to do that more in the Jags game. One thing he needs to learn though is how to slide instead of nose diving head first so often. I admire his toughness, it reminds me alot of Brett Favre but he just needs to play a bit smarter at times when he takes off I think.

yinzer
01-10-2008, 08:52 PM
everything TG said

BlitzburghNation
01-10-2008, 09:21 PM
:+1:,,,,,,,,

steelcityrockers
01-10-2008, 09:44 PM
If anything it would be to not hold on to the ball so much and occasionally look at your shorter routes. I think it was his first pick last week when he had Holmes WIDE OPEN near the first down line but instead he chucked it deep to Davenport and was picked off.

MDSteel15
01-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Ktrain touched on an area similar to this in another thread about Ben getting sacked all the time this year.

We all know the Offensive Line needs some tweaking and retooling for 2008 and they are the key to a successful campaign next year. Aside from the line, what all do you think Ben needs to improve on for next year. Here's a couple things I came up with.

1. Throw the damn ball away - Ben never gives up on a play, that's all well and good but he could avoid probably 1/3 of the sacks by just throwing it away. You can only hold onto it for so long until the pressure is bearing down on you and you just have to get rid of it. Arians had him taking a lot of quick drops against the Jags in the first half and that helped a lot to keep the pressure off him early on.

2. Take off and run more often - Ben is pretty good on his feet and he's a big guy so it's not easy to bring him down when he takes off. When he tucks the ball down and runs with it good things have happened for us. I think he should do that more often especially when a play breaks down.

3rd. quicker release

Iron City South
01-10-2008, 10:25 PM
What does Ben need to work on during the off-season?

Missionary
Wheelbarrow
Dirty Sanchez
Lotus
Angry Dragon
Teabagging
Coyote Arm
Houdini
Trombone

All the above ..... on a quiet Carribbean island with his girl.

http://www.seriesadictos.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/missy-peregrym.jpg

BlitzburghRockCity
01-10-2008, 11:44 PM
I hope Arians installs more of the hurry up offense too. You don't have to just wait till your behind or at a stale mate in the game before you use it. It's a very affective weapon in our arsenal on offense and it really can wear defenses out in a hurry. Ben runs it very well. The shorter drops are a good idea against an aggressive defense that is rally sending the house to try and get to Ben. You just can't defend against a 3 step drop. that's why players like Brady, Manning, and others don't get sacked very often; it's a combination of a good offensive line, shorter drops, and being able to feel the pressure and get rid of the ball. Ben does very well at feeling pressure and he's an excellent escape artist. If they can do some more short drops, quick passes it will open up so many avenues for him.

AZ_Steeler
01-11-2008, 02:29 AM
1-2-3 release....

Black@Gold Forever32
01-11-2008, 03:46 AM
I have been screaming for quick slants all season.....lol I'll never understand why when Ben has been taking a beating all season that the quick slant wasn't called more....lol

I don't want Ben to change his style of play at all.....Only thing he needs to work on is not forcing the ball into tight coverage at times....He did that better this year but against the Jags in the play-off game he did that on that one throw to Davenport that was picked off...

black an gold 4 life
01-11-2008, 06:33 PM
he needs 2 work on getting an clue when he scrammbles, an stop throwing ints, he needs 2 throw 2 his check down guy more he NEEDS ARM STRENTGH santonio will not want 2 b here if ben can't get him the ball deep, an he needs 2 work on being an leader an stop worrying about being included with talk of brady an manning, those cats worry about being elite q.b's not who's talking about them.................an he definetly need 2 stay off his motorcycles............................if he does those things i think he will b an elite q.b n the nfl, memo 2 ben dude hit the curl machine after pratice or b4 just do it..................

Black@Gold Forever32
01-11-2008, 06:46 PM
he needs 2 work on getting an clue when he scrammbles, an stop throwing ints, he needs 2 throw 2 his check down guy more he NEEDS ARM STRENTGH santonio will not want 2 b here if ben can't get him the ball deep, an he needs 2 work on being an leader an stop worrying about being included with talk of brady an manning, those cats worry about being elite q.b's not who's talking about them.................an he definetly need 2 stay off his motorcycles............................if he does those things i think he will b an elite q.b n the nfl, memo 2 ben dude hit the curl machine after pratice or b4 just do it..................

Ok...........I guess you missed that 85 yard pass play to Holmes against the Rams....Ben didn't throw the ball 85 yards in the air but he threw it a good 40-50 yards.....Ben hit Holmes many times this year on 40 yard bombs....his arm strength is fine...lol Its kind of hard to go deep when Ben doesn't have the time in the pocket to throw it deep.....

Ben is one of the best throwing on the run when scrambling...lol I also don't think Ben has rode a motorcycle since his accident.......:lol:

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------