PDA

View Full Version : Grass? Or Fake Grass? The Steelers still undecided

Stlrs4Life
01-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Grass or fake grass? Steelers haven't decided yet

By Alan Robinson, AP Sports Writer

PITTSBURGH ó The Pittsburgh Steelers' anticipated switch of Heinz Field to artificial turf might not be the done deal it appeared to be six weeks ago.

The Steelers' players are arguing against it, and the NFL is pleased at how the field's beaten-up grass held up for a playoff game last weekend.

After nearly 1 1/2 inches of rain in several hours and a newly sodded field combined to make Heinz Field's surface almost unplayable for Pittsburgh's 3-0 victory over Miami on Nov. 26, the club was expected to install artificial turf when the season ended.

Criticized for playing six high school, college and NFL games in a four-day span on grass turf in bad weather, the Steelers found themselves being ridiculed inside and out of the league. Jaguars running back Fred Taylor called the bad grass "a lawsuit waiting to happen."

Now, the pro-grass faction might be winning out.

Despite light rain during the game, the field was in the best shape it's been in for weeks during Jacksonville's 31-29 AFC wild-card victory Saturday. Punts didn't plug in ankle-deep mud the way they did in the Miami game, and wide receivers didn't slide or lose traction on pass routes.

"We're going to have a big discussion about what to do and things like this ... but we haven't even discussed it yet," Steelers owner Dan Rooney told The Associated Press. "I think the grass held up really good."

Concerned about the mushy turf, the NFL kept an operations executive in Pittsburgh after the Miami game, then did so again last week. Rooney said the league was pleased Saturday with the field conditions for a game attended by commissioner Roger Goodell.

"They had their guy here looking at it, to see how it was, and he said it was great for this game," Rooney said. "But they don't tell you, 'You've got to do this, you've got to do that.' At least they haven't told us that."

Numerous players, including Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu, are pleading to keep the grass because they are convinced it reduces knee and ankle injuries.

Their case became stronger when Pro Bowl running back Willie Parker, leading the league in rushing at the time with 1,316 yards, broke his right leg while cutting on St. Louis' artificial turf Dec. 20.

With Parker out of the lineup, the Steelers rushed for only 89 yards combined while losing their final two games without him.

"We're going to listen to them (the players)," Rooney said. "We're not going to make the decision entirely on that, but they will have an influence."

The Steelers' field problems aren't new. In 2002, the grass was replaced three times from spring until the end of the season. Another year, the grass between the hash marks was torn out and replaced.

While more colder-weather NFL teams with outdoor stadiums have grass fields than artificial turf, the Steelers must weigh whether they can continue playing up to 25 NFL, University of Pittsburgh and high school games per season on grass.

Putting down artificial turf would allow them to increase the number of high school games and other events, such as concerts, staged at Heinz Field each year.

"A lot of people say, 'Ahh, get rid of those high schools,"' Rooney said. "We don't want to do that. We want them to be part of it. It's a great thing for them. When I was playing for North (Catholic, during the 1940s), we played at Forbes Field. Even though I was around it all the time, I really got a thrill out of it."
The Associated Press

Koopa
01-09-2008, 06:37 PM
i still think the players are pussies for wanting to stay with the real grass, they only like it cause of the advantage it gives them, and that's bitch ****, can't beat teams straight up so they have to cripple them.......but i'm sure the rooney's will stay with the grass so no point in even thinking about a good field

and i'm sure theirs a difference between indoor and outdoor turf, so i think that willie argument is the gayest of all time

Steelerlyn
01-09-2008, 07:06 PM
As those of you who have read Jerome Bettis' book know; The Bus' had many
injuries on the asphalt based turf at 3 rivers, and according to the bus, serious injuries occurr while playing on that type of turf.

Koopa
01-09-2008, 07:12 PM
no one uses that type of turf anymore......the new turf that teams use outdoors is almost like real grass it's just not gay

Prosdo
01-09-2008, 07:50 PM
I think the Steelers need to go to turf or get Pitt out of Heinz Field. I don't see Pitt leaving anytime soon so go with the turf.

yinzer
01-09-2008, 08:10 PM
there are way too many teams that are allowed to play on heinz field. high schools, pitt, and the stillers. the only thing is, pitt wouldn't have anywhere to play... using field turf would eliminate the shiatty arse field conditions.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-09-2008, 08:27 PM
no one uses that type of turf anymore......the new turf that teams use outdoors is almost like real grass it's just not gay

The new field turf is better then the old astro turf no doubt......But still its alarming when you do see team that have field turf still have a ton of injuries...I have no problems with a grass field....But the game against the Dolphins was terrible and then even the next game against the Bengals the turf wasn't that much better.....But I don't think the players are being bitches for wanting to keep the real grass......

If the Steelers do keep the grass....I just hope they don't but sod over the field like they did before the Dolphins game that just made it worse with all the rain......:lol:If the Steelers do go to field turn I won't complain but I do think the Rooney's will listen to their own players and take their opinion into account....

LatrobePA
01-09-2008, 08:35 PM
I say just let Ricky Williams smoke it!!

My problem with turf is the extra twisting and strain put on your joints (stay away ricky)...But I'm all for a nice new bada$$ field....We'll see what the higher ups do, we all know voicing our concerns will do nothing.

Koopa
01-09-2008, 08:38 PM
i've read pitt would like to see field turf.......and they pay to play on that field so i think they should have a say in it........ and i'll always think if you want something for an advantage to win that you are a pussy....... and i read that the rooney's had ppl looking at the west virgina field, cause it's a different type of field turf, and it looks nice, i think they should go to that lol.....

K Train
01-09-2008, 08:58 PM
the west virginia turf is the essence of badassness....besides, if slaton, white and devine can run on it, willie would be badass on it lol.

3 rivers turf was first generation **** and it was bad for the players, until you actually play on field turf, not astro turf....you have no right to comment, its awesome to run on and looks ****ing sweet

Black@Gold Forever32
01-09-2008, 09:02 PM
the west virginia turf is the essence of badassness....besides, if slaton, white and devine can run on it, willie would be badass on it lol.

3 rivers turf was first generation shiat and it was bad for the players, until you actually play on field turf, not astro turf....you have no right to comment, its awesome to run on and looks ****ing sweet

The West Virginia turf is the best of the field turfs so if the Rooney's do put in the field turf it should be that.... I think they're keeping the grass though.....When the Steelers players want to keep it then I'm sure the Rooney's will listen to them....

Koopa
01-09-2008, 09:05 PM
if we keep it, i hope when the field gets bad, troy gets hurt, not like he makes an impact, but the roony's will have it on their mind that if they had only changed to the good stuff they'd not being paying someone to sit on the ir lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Well of course the damn field held up well, nobody played on it for 3 weeks so it wasn't like it was being used twice a week during the season and then that run of high school games too. Get with the times Rooney and for God sakes get field turf. You're building a bad *** team with all kinds of speed and we continue play in a freekin swamp.

K Train
01-09-2008, 09:19 PM
if we keep it, i hope when the field gets bad, troy gets hurt, not like he makes an impact, but the roony's will have it on their mind that if they had only changed to the good stuff they'd not being paying someone to sit on the ir lol

awesome post lol

Koopa
01-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Well of course the damn field held up well, nobody played on it for 3 weeks so it wasn't like it was being used twice a week during the season and then that run of high school games too. Get with the times Rooney and for God sakes get field turf. You're building a bad *** team with all kinds of speed and we continue play in a freekin swamp.

i wish someone in the media would tell them that......i wonder what excuse they'd use after being told, "no **** dumb ****, your field wasn't played on for 3 weeks, so of course it was decent, you ****ing old **** face" lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2008, 09:27 PM
They won't listen, the Rooney's are as stubborn as anybody I've ever seen in sport. In most cases that's a good thing but I swear how many more years of **** poor field conditions are we going to have deal with and how many millions of dollars wasted every year resodding the field 3 times until somebody realizes what eveybody else in the northeast already knows. Get the damn field turf, save money, and be done with it already. As far as Holmes and Willie and Nate are just imagine if week in and week out they got to use that speed at home instead of just relying on away games.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
01-10-2008, 11:45 AM
yea they need to do something, That Monday night game against Miami was horrible to watch..i think getting some of that WVU hybrid grass/turf would be the way to go, Hopefully Tighta*s Rooney will drop some coin and get it done.

steelcurtaingal
01-10-2008, 01:43 PM
i agree. but eh rooneys are stubborn. they wont give in for awhile yet

and notice that this is def our offseason.. as we are discussing field material

Stlrs4Life
01-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Guys in Texas must be a bunch of pansies. Big deal, you don't want to see them playing in the mud? Players are pussies cause they want to stay with real grass? The onesthat cry and moan (Fred Taylor) about field conditions are the ones that are pussies. Never heared that one before. After reading that, I am very positve that we will not go with field turf next season.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

i've read pitt would like to see field turf.......and they pay to play on that field so i think they should have a say in it........ and i'll always think if you want something for an advantage to win that you are a pussy....... and i read that the rooney's had ppl looking at the west virgina field, cause it's a different type of field turf, and it looks nice, i think they should go to that lol.....

Pitt doesn't pay a dime to play on that field. They bought there rights by pitching in on the cost of Heinz.

black an gold 4 life
01-10-2008, 04:21 PM
yea koopa i'm with u memo 2 the steelers man up................the new turf out is like playing n bungel land they have the new turf, i think we should get it 2

Koopa
01-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Guys in Texas must be a bunch of pansies. Big deal, you don't want to see them playing in the mud? Players are pussies cause they want to stay with real grass? The onesthat cry and moan (Fred Taylor) about field conditions are the ones that are pussies. Never heared that one before. After reading that, I am very positve that we will not go with field turf next season.

[AutoMerged Post Below]

Pitt doesn't pay a dime to play on that field. They bought there rights by pitching in on the cost of Heinz.

guys from where you are from must not be able to read..... if you would read right, i was saying they are bitches for wanting it as an advantage, i don't care if they play in mud, but the fact that they want it for an advantage is pussy ****, just shows we ain't good enough to beat teams straight up

and if pitt don't pay, then kick that faggot *** school out, they don't win ****

Stlrs4Life
01-10-2008, 09:16 PM
What team wouldn't want to have an advantage? Nothing wrong with that.

Koopa
01-10-2008, 09:29 PM
i think there is, it's gayness, can't win straight up....

BlitzburghRockCity
01-11-2008, 01:35 PM
So basically we want the advantage of playing in swamp, limiting our own offense by not being able to use our speed, being the laughing stock of the league with the state of our field, wasting money several times a year to re-sod the damn thing, and then players still get hurt just like on any other surface??? :scratch:

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-11-2008, 03:30 PM
So basically we want the advantage of playing in swamp, limiting our own offense by not being able to use our speed, being the laughing stock of the league with the state of our field, wasting money several times a year to re-sod the damn thing, and then players still get hurt just like on any other surface??? :scratch:

Look for the Steelers to keep the grass.

SteelerFan87
01-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Can we switch to Field Turf, but switch back to grass just for the Jacksonville game just to **** Fred Taylor off? :lol:

K Train
01-12-2008, 10:46 PM
we should just play on gravle, its cheap and doesnt get all ****ed up or retain massive amounts of water

BlitzburghRockCity
01-13-2008, 01:13 AM
we should just play on gravle, its cheap and doesnt get all ****ed up or retain massive amounts of water

see, now you're talking...we can just pave right over top of that stuff in the end zones so it stays nice and pretty. :lol:

steelcurtain09
01-13-2008, 06:51 PM
i thought the city of Pittsburgh owned the stadium so they can lease it out to whoever they want regardless of what the Steelers say?
wouldnt that also apply to the discussion about fieldturf and grass? the city of Pittsburgh, not the Rooneys, would have to make that decision , right?

that being said, im torn between fieldturf and grass.
i like the idea of the homefield advantage. the Steelers get to use the grass so they have an edge while playing on it. if we played NE on our field, Moss and Welker would have been completely neutralized. but unfortunately it also works to neutralize our own players.
but i have been up to Duquesne and been on their fieldturf and it is awesome. FWP would lose no speed on it. i have made cuts on it and i didnt feel any more strain than i feel on grass, possibly less since there is no chance of it slipping out from under your feet.

i think the decision should be made based on our draft this year. if we draft more speed, we should switch. if we draft "down in the trenches" linemen and a powerback, we should stay with the grass. the grass should cater to our team.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-14-2008, 09:03 AM
The Rooney's pay to have the field redone 2-3 times per year and plus all the work that goes into it week in and week out from September to December is just such a waste of resources IMO...

troy43
01-16-2008, 03:37 PM
The new style of field turf is really nice. I've played soccer on it, and I have to say it is light years ahead of the old "astro" turf. If they get the best field turf available, and if it's installed correctly I think they'll like it.

Underneath it is a mix of sand and rubber. The fields I've played on used recycled shoe soles and tires. I have bad knees and thought it did a good job of absorbing the shock.

Also think of how much SOFTER it'll be in the winter months when compared to a grass frozen field in 20 degree weather.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-20-2008, 12:46 AM
Looks like we may find out soon whether we get another year of the swamp or they go with Field Turf...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08020/850710-66.stm

The Steelers soon will decide whether to stick with grass at Heinz Field or finally make the move to artificial turf.

They had meetings on the matter this past week.

"Don't rule out grass," one official cautioned as mounting sentiment grows inside the organization to install artificial turf.

They've already chosen the type of artificial surface if they make the change -- the new generation of FieldTurf that West Virginia University installed last summer and the New England Patriots put down in 2006. It's called Duraspine and it cost WVU $901,152 to install.

The cost has little to do with the Steelers' decision. They paid $150,000 last November to have sod placed over their deteriorating DDGrassMaster field, which is grass tied together and down by synthetic fibers.

The DDGrassMaster, which also is used by the Denver Broncos, was supposed to be an improvement over Heinz Field's original all-grass field. It was great in September and October. By November, after poundings by Pitt and the Steelers for two months, the five high school championships played at Heinz Field applied the coup de gras.

Injuries and their own players' professed preferences for grass are reasons the Steelers have stayed with the grass that turned to dirt and mud by late season. They believed it to be safer. In that sense, it's been a well-intentioned experiment.
Look for Ed Bouchette's coverage from Super Bowl XLII beginning Jan. 29.

But when the Steelers played on the rock-hard artificial surface at Three Rivers Stadium for 31 years, they often cited studies that showed there were fewer serious injuries in games on those old artificial turfs than there was on grass in the National Football League.

As part of their investigation, the Steelers have gathered research from the NFL on injuries -- how they occurred and on what surfaces. They will use those studies as they determine whether to make the switch to FieldTurf's Duraspine.

Some in the organization believe the grass at Heinz Field has become a national embarrassment heightened by the Monday Night game against Miami and the downpours that occurred often during home games this season. The field also ranks at or near the bottom of annual NFL Players Association surveys of its members. Pitt officials have urged the Steelers to switch to artificial turf.

A new artificial surface also could help the Steelers on the field in a couple of ways. First, as they evolve under quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and Willie Parker from the old plowhorse offense into something sleeker. Parker has said he prefers artificial turf, which is no surprise because of his style of running. Second, by increasing income to help with the ever-increasing cash outlays for signing bonuses. Although there is a salary cap in the NFL, the cash needed for signing bonuses has become a problem for some teams in smaller markets.

By having artificial turf, the Steelers can attract more events like the Kenny Chesney concerts, knowing the field can hold up. The Rolling Stones, one source said, wanted to play in Heinz Field during the fall but were turned away because of concerns about the grass. The income from such events could help fund signing bonuses.

There really is little downside to having the new, safer generation of FieldTurf at Heinz Field. The Steelers have been practicing on FieldTurf since 2000 at their UPMC indoor facility on the South Side with no known serious injuries coming from it.

For those into aesthetics, the field would be forever green -- unless it snows -- and those slanted white lines the Steelers and Pitt use can disappear and end zones for each team zipped in and out.

Koopa
01-20-2008, 01:51 AM
i'm getting tired of beating poor barbaro, so whatever decision they make i'll live with it lol.......... i just think it's gay they want grass for an advantage, i think that is the gayest **** ever, take steroids if you want an advantage lol

i think if they stick with grass for next year we'll never see the good stuff be put down........ i think it would benefit our team a shitload more for the artificial turf too, we got speed players that would glide on artifical turf, and willie would actually earn his pro bowl status if he played on the good **** 8 times a year........WV's field is ****ing awesome looking, and look at how badass their speed players were.........holmes would be unstoppable

and wtf, they've been practicing on it since 2000, but yet don't play on it, that's dumb, i think it would be better if you practice on teh **** you are gonna play on.......

BlitzburghRockCity
01-20-2008, 11:18 AM
If you practice on it all week long then you go into game time for 3 hours and play on grass and call it some great revelation of being better on the players knees and ankles?? That makes absolutely ZERO sense IMO. Play on what you practice on. At this point just make a damn decision already..LOL

Iron City South
01-20-2008, 12:12 PM
It's no longer even a decision they need to make, it's already a foregone conclusion that they are going turf.

This is now about saving face. The Rooney's are acting like its a tough decision because they've been so pro-grass and now they see they should have changed it long ago. The stadium is a shared entity; meaning they have partners to consider. The city wants turf to hold more non-football events and the Univ. of Pittsburgh wants turf for the Panthers. The only one who is holding this thing up is Rooney.

The last time I checked, a 2/3'rds is a majority vote and ends any debate.

Like I said, expect them to announce turf soon. :yesnod:

TEEMONT
01-20-2008, 12:19 PM
The last time I checked, a 2/3'rds is a majority vote and ends any debate.

Not when only one vote counts.

Iron City South
01-20-2008, 01:23 PM
Not when only one vote counts.

That's my point, one vote doesn't constitue a quorum. Heinz Field is not owned as an exclusive entity of the Pittsburgh Steelers as much as Rooney pretends it is. It was funded as a shared entity with the city of Pittsburgh and the University of Pittsburgh. :yesnod:

TEEMONT
01-20-2008, 01:52 PM
That's my point, one vote doesn't constitue a quorum. Heinz Field is not owned as an exclusive entity of the Pittsburgh Steelers as much as Rooney pretends it is. It was funded as a shared entity with the city of Pittsburgh and the University of Pittsburgh. :yesnod:

http://www.steelergridiron.com/information/newstadium.html

The Steelers paid $123 million and $158 million was paid by the state, through parking and amusement/entertainment taxes, and the Regional Asset District.

Heinz, a Pittsburgh company since 1869, paid $57 million for a 20-year naming rights contract.

If anything the taxpayers have more of a right to decide whether turf goes in over the city or Pitt. I can't find anywhere that would tell me Pitt's opinion matters. A $333 million dollar stadium, and Pitt has payed how much to play there? I would bet just about as much as the WPIAL, but I may be wrong. Hell since the state financed so much of it, maybe we should ask your boy Rendell what he wants.

Stlrs4Life
01-20-2008, 03:19 PM
"Pitt officials have urged the Steelers to switch to artificial turf."

Well, put your money where your mouth is Pitt.

Iron City South
01-20-2008, 03:34 PM
"Pitt officials have urged the Steelers to switch to artificial turf."

Well, put your money where your mouth is Pitt.

They already did. The only way the stadium got the public funding it was looking for to build it was partnering with the University of Pittsburgh.

In a 2006 survey conducted by the NFL Players Association, Heinz Field's field was voted the second-worst grass playing surface in the league. Voted "worst" was New England's Gillette Stadium. Since that survey, the Patriots have torn out the grass and installed an artificial surface known as FieldTurf.

The Steelers are investigating artificial surfaces, and they might install one at Heinz Field before the start of the 2008 season. They have been particularly interested in the new surface West Virginia University has this year. WVU installed a new generation of FieldTurf this summer called Duraspine at the cost of $901,152. The Steelers sent some of their people to WVU to take a look at the turf.

The Steelers have practiced on a different version of FieldTurf at their indoor facility since 2000, as has Pitt. The Panthers added an artificial turf called Sportexe on one of their outdoor practice fields next to the Steelers this year.

Pitt officials also have been urging the Steelers to install an artificial turf.

If they lay the turf that WVU has .... it will be one of the best fields in the NFL. WVU has the Rolls Royce of turf systems. Another point to note .... Since the Pats changed their field to turf .... they have NEVER lost a game on it yet. However I'm hoping that changes today ..... GO CHARGERS!

K Train
01-20-2008, 07:26 PM
ive run on duraspine and its ****ing awesome

TEEMONT
01-20-2008, 07:47 PM
ive run on duraspine and its ****ing awesome

I agree, I walked around on it a few weeks ago and it felt nice....I fell down on it to and that even felt good. I still like grass though, just my personal opinion.

If they do change though, they need to go all out.

Stairwayto7
01-21-2008, 06:54 AM
As those of you who have read Jerome Bettis' book know; The Bus' had many
injuries on the asphalt based turf at 3 rivers, and according to the bus, serious injuries occurr while playing on that type of turf.

Something needs done though, because its only a matter of time before a serious injury occurs on out shiat *** turf!

TEEMONT
01-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Something needs done though, because its only a matter of time before a serious injury occurs on out shiat *** turf!

Doom and gloom!!

You mean like Willie's broken leg on field turf?

Injuries can happen anywhere.

steelcitysfinestXL
01-23-2008, 09:47 AM
Personally, i think they need to take better care of the field, NOT replace it!!!! EVERY F**KING year they hold the WPIAL championships on a saturday thanksgiving week... 4 games in one day, in November which the past few years in the Burgh has meant temps in the low 40's high 30's and rain/sleet/snow!!! The field is RUINED every year!!! I played highschool football in SWPA and I dreamed of playing on Heinz/ Three Rivers since i was a lil kid, but they need to find another venue!!! That field has Pitt, random high school games all season, 4 high school championship games, Huge concerts and the steelers playing on it every year all year!!! Pittsburgh needs a new venue so the steelers have that field to themselves all fall and winter!!!

Koopa
01-29-2008, 12:30 AM
Steelers still undecided about turf
By The Tribune-Review
Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Workers remove sod Monday afternoon at Heinz Field. The sod was placed on the playing surface in late November, and was removed yesterday as part of the field's annual offseason maintenance.

According to team spokesman Dave Lockett, no decision has been made on whether the Steelers will switch to artificial turf or stick with grass next season.

Heinz Field has featured a grass surface since the stadium was opened in 2001.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_549757.html

just put the turf in already, holmes and willie would be deadly

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2008, 12:52 AM
This isn't 3 yds and a cloud of dust anymore. Those days in Steeler land it was all about the run, the mud and blood and all that. Now we have a more diverse, high powered offense and we're shooting ourselves in the foot with real grass that doesn't hold up anymore.

Bring on the turf !

dsj3
01-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Itís not a perfect world. In a perfect world we have a beautiful grass field from August to January. In a perfect world there are no football injuries. But wake up; itís not a perfect world. When a player gets hurt on grass you never hear anything about the surface being an issue but it could have been. When a player gets hurt on turf, some people start crying immediately itís the turf. Injures will occur playing on any surface. The synthetic surfaces of today are equal or better than real grass and statistically just as safe or safer. The footwear chosen is also very important. Good grief, itís long past the time for artificial turf at Heinz Field. Professional football in the 21st century was not meant to be played in gobs of mud or patches of sod popping up like a toupee on a ball manís head. It just does not make sense continuing to try force this grass experiment to work when it has been obvious since 01 that it won't work. Heinz Field has too much going on to even think about it any longer. Professional football (as well as college) should demand a PROFESSIONAL playing surface. Ultimately, the Steelers and Pitt will player better as they can utilize their speed and agility; Heinz Field can have more events that will facilitate more revenue for the Steelers for signing bonuses, etc. Also, esthetically, it would be nice to see our full colors and logos back on the field on both ends like it should be in the NFL. The WPIAL Championships at Heinz Field are a great tradition and they certainly should continue, but most of those high schools have nicer artificial surfaces than the Steelers. What kind of sense does that make? If you look at WVA Mountaineersí new Field Turf field then look at the Steelers/Pittís field in Nov/DecÖ..need I say more? The Steelers practice on Field Turf at their practice facility. Pitt also is on artificial turf at their practice location also. Letís see Heinz Field with turf soonÖ..PLEASE.

Iron City South
01-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Good grief, itís long past the time for artificial turf at Heinz Field.

Professional football in the 21st century was not meant to be played in gobs of mud or patches of sod popping up like a toupee on a ball manís head. It just does not make sense continuing to try force this grass experiment to work when it has been obvious since 01 that it won't work. Professional football (as well as college) should demand a PROFESSIONAL playing surface. Ultimately, the Steelers and Pitt will player better as they can utilize their speed and agility; Heinz Field can have more events that will facilitate more revenue for the Steelers for signing bonuses, etc. Also, esthetically, it would be nice to see our full colors and logos back on the field on both ends like it should be in the NFL.

The WPIAL Championships at Heinz Field are a great tradition and they certainly should continue, but most of those high schools have nicer artificial surfaces than the Steelers. What kind of sense does that make? If you look at WVA Mountaineersí new Field Turf field then look at the Steelers/Pittís field in Nov/DecÖ..need I say more? The Steelers practice on Field Turf at their practice facility. Pitt also is on artificial turf at their practice location also. Letís see Heinz Field with turf soon.

Behold ... a voice of reason! :clap:

LilJay
01-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Man, Grass or fake grass. I would go with Real Grass, Heck if i had it my way i would make them play on ASPHALT! how bout that one! lets see who gets hurt first!

steelcurtain09
01-30-2008, 08:49 PM
NFL Notebook: Heinz Field sod removed; is turf next?
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
From local and wire dispatches

The Steelers are tearing out the grass at Heinz Field, but not because they have decided to install an artificial surface.

Less than a month after their season ended at home with a playoff defeat to the Jacksonville Jaguars, the Steelers are removing the sod that was laid over their primary DDGrassMaster surface in November in an attempt to make the field more playable and presentable.

It does not mean they have made any final decision to replace their grass field, which includes small synthetic fibers, with some type of artificial surface. The discussion to switch to another surface has been on-going and a decision will be made shortly.

"That was something we had to do anyway," said Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett. "No decision has been made in regard to what we will do with the field."

The Steelers installed the sod, at a cost of $150,000, in an attempt to improve the field. But because the sod covered the drainage system that was installed with the original surface, Heinz Field was turned into a soggy, muddy mess for a Nov. 26 game against the Miami Dolphins after a severe thunderstorm.

Many of the Steelers players and coach Mike Tomlin are in favor of retaining a grass surface at Heinz Field, primarily because it reduces the amount of stress on joints.

What will happen now?

Koopa
01-30-2008, 09:04 PM
gonna merge this with the grass thread

BlitzburghRockCity
01-30-2008, 09:18 PM
For the love of God just put the freeking turf down and stop wasting money year after year to resod a damn swamp!

TEEMONT
01-30-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm almost to the point where I wanna see turf just so yinz will stop whining...lol.

SteelCityMan786
01-30-2008, 11:00 PM
I think that another new grass is going to be installed. I see no reason the Rooney's are going to change it.

K-Train was making remarks about the Field Turf earlier and I can say Field Turf isn't not as good as advertised, but is MUCH MUCH MUCH better then Astroturf. It gives almost the same effect as a grass field, you can wear cleats for grass fields on it. So don't worry about buying extra shoes

Downside, playing through injuries. On a turf field, playing through injuries doesn't go well. I have played on a bad ankle, and It almost caused me to sit for the remainder of the game after one drive. In addition, taking turf burn sucks. It can take 3-4 weeks to heal pending how fast you heal. Injuries that can usually take 2-4 weeks on a grass field can double in length on turf.

So keep things in mind first before you go calling for Turf.

Koopa
01-30-2008, 11:18 PM
I think that another new grass is going to be installed. I see no reason the Rooney's are going to change it.

K-Train was making remarks about the Field Turf earlier and I can say Field Turf isn't not as good as advertised, but is MUCH MUCH MUCH better then Astroturf. It gives almost the same effect as a grass field, you can wear cleats for grass fields on it. So don't worry about buying extra shoes

Downside, playing through injuries. On a turf field, playing through injuries doesn't go well. I have played on a bad ankle, and It almost caused me to sit for the remainder of the game after one drive. In addition, taking turf burn sucks. It can take 3-4 weeks to heal pending how fast you heal. Injuries that can usually take 2-4 weeks on a grass field can double in length on turf.

So keep things in mind first before you go calling for Turf.

maybe you are a weak injury prone person???? the ppl that have played on this new stuff say they like it, no west virginia player has said anything bad about it, k train said he's been on the new stuff and it's great........ ppl think to much about the injuries, when i don't really see that many injuries caused by it on the pats or ravens, or other teams that use the newer generation field turf..........

Stlrs4Life
01-31-2008, 05:33 PM
They already did. The only way the stadium got the public funding it was looking for to build it was partnering with the University of Pittsburgh.

If they lay the turf that WVU has .... it will be one of the best fields in the NFL. WVU has the Rolls Royce of turf systems. Another point to note .... Since the Pats changed their field to turf .... they have NEVER lost a game on it yet. However I'm hoping that changes today ..... GO CHARGERS!

Yeah, that doesn't mean Ptt paid alot of money like the Steelers did. Pitt is only there because that was 1 of the conditions of building a new stadium. I say move Pitt to the southside where Commodore Perry plays. With the amount of attendance they get at Pitts games, there is enough room also.

Koopa
02-01-2008, 12:37 AM
NFLPA's Upshaw calls out Heinz Field grass

PHOENIX - Many Steelers players have publicly said they either like or don't have a problem with the playing surface at Heinz Field.

How they feel privately is a different matter, the executive director of the NFL Players Association said Thursday.

Gene Upshaw called for a change from natural grass to FieldTurf at the Steelers' stadium, saying of chairman Dan Rooney, "his own team does not like the field."

In a survey of roughly 1,500 active players in 2006, the surface at Heinz Field was voted as the second-worst in the NFL (the surface at New England's Gillette Stadium was voted the worst, but the Patriots switched from natural grass to artificial turf during the 2006 season).

Upshaw said the sentiments of the Steelers players the NFLPA talked to were consistent with the result that made Heinz Field one of the least desirable stadiums to play at in the NFL, according to the survey the NFLPA released last year.

"I actually sent the results to Dan Rooney because we were having dinner one night and he said his players all told him that they like that field," Upshaw said. "I said, 'I bet I get a different result than you get. Were you handing them their checks when you asked them?' We would like to see them go to a different surface."

The Steelers are considering switching from DD Grassmaster to some sort of artificial turf, most likely FieldTurf, for next season. Rooney could not be reached for comment Thursday.

Bad weather and the wear and tear that comes with Pitt playing at Heinz Field and the WPIAL championship games being staged there as well made a mess of the playing surface for several Steelers games last season.

The most notable example was when the Steelers played the Dolphins on Nov. 26. Heavy rains turned the field, which had recently been resodded, into a veritable mud pit, and the Steelers sloshed their way to a 3-0 win over the Dolphins in the nationally televised game.

The field has taken its share of criticism from fans and the media, and last month Jaguars running back Fred Taylor called the playing surface "a lawsuit pending."

The Eagles are in a similar situation.

They also play their home games on natural grass, and the playing surface can become treacherous when the weather gets bad.

Said NFLPA president Troy Vincent, who played in the NFL from 1992-2006, "There was a consensus that (the playing surfaces in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia) were the two worst fields to play on."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_550254.html

hell yeah, my boy is getting involved (i say my boy cause he played college ball at the school i go to, i wasn't born yet, but i don't care lol).......

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2008, 06:05 AM
Upshaw said the sentiments of the Steelers players the NFLPA talked to were consistent with the result that made Heinz Field one of the least desirable stadiums to play at in the NFL, according to the survey the NFLPA released last year

It's such a shame, Heinz Field is one of the most unique venues in all of professional sports. You'd be hard pressed to find another stadium or arena that exemplifies the city more than Heinz and for so many players to dislike it for any other reason than being the brunt of the fans boos..LOL...is really a bad thing and needs to change.

SteelCityMan786
02-01-2008, 11:02 AM
maybe you are a weak injury prone person???? the ppl that have played on this new stuff say they like it, no west virginia player has said anything bad about it, k train said he's been on the new stuff and it's great........ ppl think to much about the injuries, when i don't really see that many injuries caused by it on the pats or ravens, or other teams that use the newer generation field turf..........

Actually I have only been injured twice. Once during a football season, not bad enough to keep me out the 2nd time. We've already gotten hassle about by a former Steeler/Penn State Nittany Lion calling us crazy for putting it in(Matt Kranchik former TE).

The adjustment period though can be a big issue. Until this year, we didn't have a winning season at home on the turf(Installed in 2004 when we only won once per year. This year we went undefeated at home). If you can get a good system implemented, you can be just as good, otherwise, expect trouble adjusting.

TEEMONT
02-01-2008, 11:07 AM

They have the new stuff at my high school too, I checked it out when I went home for Christmas. I dunno, about it though. I dont think I would want to fall down on it. It kinda felt abrasive. It didn't have much give in it either.

dsj3
02-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Decision time. We need the turf. Steelers/Panthers, you'll play better and I think you could use the extra revenue from the concerts/events that you can't host now with this cow pasture of a field we've had since 01.

SteelCityMan786
02-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Decision time. We need the turf. Steelers/Panthers, you'll play better and I think you could use the extra revenue from the concerts/events that you can't host now with this cow pasture of a field we've had since 01.

Only thing is, game tickets aren't going to get cheaper.

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-03-2008, 11:07 PM

And what happens if your franchise qb tells you that he wants grass?

Koopa
02-03-2008, 11:14 PM
And what happens if your franchise qb tells you that he wants grass?

he wants it for gay reasons though, so his opinion doesn't matter :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2008, 11:14 PM
The franchise QB needs to get on board with the times and realize his weapons have a lot of speed and that's an asset he can use to his advantage...not his disadvantage.

Watching the game tonight in Phoenix and seeing how well the field they have here holds up and how nice it looks and performs just makes me want turf all the more.

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-03-2008, 11:21 PM
he wants it for gay reasons though, so his opinion doesn't matter :lol:

Koopa, and TG

Your about to give the biggest contract in team history to Ben. I think they will listen to what he says.

SteelCityMan786
02-03-2008, 11:22 PM
The franchise QB needs to get on board with the times and realize his weapons have a lot of speed and that's an asset he can use to his advantage...not his disadvantage.

Watching the game tonight in Phoenix and seeing how well the field they have here holds up and how nice it looks and performs just makes me want turf all the more.

That field held up well. They can have the field removed and placed outside. Plus a retractable roofs helps them out to.

Koopa
02-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Koopa, and TG

Your about to give the biggest contract in team history to Ben. I think they will listen to what he says.

but regardless, wanting it for an advantage is gayness, why is it ok for us to use a field for advantage, but not for someone to take steroids for an advantage, or film practices and signals for an advantage???

TEEMONT
02-03-2008, 11:37 PM

Last I checked, that field was natural grass. I don't think they need to move turf outside to gt it sun...lol.

SteelersfaninPhilly
02-03-2008, 11:52 PM
but regardless, wanting it for an advantage is gayness, why is it ok for us to use a field for advantage, but not for someone to take steroids for an advantage, or film practices and signals for an advantage???

So your not going to take care of your players Koopa?

Koopa
02-04-2008, 12:02 AM

yeah, i'm taking care of my weapons, willie has said he prefers the turf, holmes said the same thing according to tg........ the whole advantage angle ben wants is retarded, cause it cripples his biggest weapons........

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2008, 12:09 AM
Last I checked, that field was natural grass. I don't think they need to move turf outside to gt it sun...lol.

:lol::lol:

The team practices on field turf all year and plays at Heinz on grass only 3 hours a week. They are used to playing on field turf, why not keep playing on it on Sundays and let's finally use the speed we've been spending so much money on to our advantage instead of neutralizing it with a slow field :yellowthumb:

dsj3
02-04-2008, 12:54 PM
What if my franchise player wants grass? I'd tell him that we tried it over and over and over again and the field is just not NFL, College or High School quality for that matter. I think one of the good points I have heard it that it is NOT FAIR to have a field so poor in quality that it gives that home team that kind of advantage. This is supposed to be PROFESSIONAL football. The Steelers are going to play so much better when they get a field that they can run faster on as well as our QB can throw better as he will be able to set up better before his throws. They will adapt to Field Turf at Heinz Field the way they have at their practice facility. Let's not forget the increased revenue that can be made from additional concerts/events.......man, it's a no brainer. I am surprised that turf was not put in before the play-off game, maybe it would have made the difference for a win.

manofsteel
02-04-2008, 01:48 PM
i like the grass its natural. football wasnt always played on turf. pitt university makes to much money to not build there own stadium. get them the hell off of my field

dsj3
02-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Now see. Why you have to say that? If you're going to say stuff like football was meant to be played only on grass, then why don't we just take the face masks off the helmets and say football was not meant to have facemasks. Why not take away headsets? Shucks, football was not meant to have guys calling in plays over the airwaves. Let's maybe take away gloves on the hands. Football was not meant to be played with gloves on. See where we can go with that philosophy? Mr. Man of Steel, the Steelers might not have Heinz Field without the City or Pitt so its not just the Steelers' field!

manofsteel
02-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Duly noted. I know what Pitt brings to the City good and bad. Im not saying that we should bring football back to the Stone age Im just sayin I like tha natural Grass surace in the Stadiums. Just like I like the Idea of hockey being played outdoors. And for the record I do not lke headsets or gloves. Lets see how far we go with that philosophy well we have and football has survived years before all that stuff was thrown in.

dsj3
02-04-2008, 06:35 PM
I guess I could maybe understand some of this opposition if we were considering putting in the old hard turfs from back in the day, but these new turfs look and feel so much like the real thing. Not only are half the NFL teams using them in their stadiums but most major colleges are using these turfs in their stadiums too. Considering all that we have talked about, do you think all those programs would install surfaces that are known to cause more injuries? No. We've tried the real thing. Let's turn our swamp into a high speed plan for SUCCESS!

Koopa
02-08-2008, 05:02 PM
just saw on around the horn that the steelers are refusing to utilize their talent and sticking with grass........ we won't win 7 games next year

TEEMONT
02-08-2008, 05:27 PM
just saw on around the horn that the steelers are refusing to utilize their talent and sticking with grass........ we won't win 7 games next year

weren't you calling for doom and gloom this year too?

Koopa
02-08-2008, 05:30 PM
weren't you calling for doom and gloom this year too?

no, i wanted us to win so tomlin could out do the most overrated coach in the history of the world................

but this year, i'm gonna be hoping for a career ending injury to one of our main players on the grass late in teh season, i hope it happens when it's all messed up and the player hurts himself with no one around, just see him break his leg stepping in the grass, preferably it'll be troy, but i won't mind if it's mahan or parker

also i wouldn't be so against grass if i hadn't heard the reason ben wanted it, i think wanting it for an advantage is the pussiest **** ever........ it just shows we are not good enough to beat teams

SteelCityMan786
02-08-2008, 05:52 PM
:lol::lol:

The team practices on field turf all year and plays at Heinz on grass only 3 hours a week. They are used to playing on field turf, why not keep playing on it on Sundays and let's finally use the speed we've been spending so much money on to our advantage instead of neutralizing it with a slow field :yellowthumb:

They only play on it indoors, the outdoors is grass.