PDA

View Full Version : Some more thoughts on 2008 looking ahead...

Troyisabeast_43
01-09-2008, 06:28 PM
With the very tough schedule next year, I think just winning the division title again and getting a ticket to the playoffs will make for a successful season. I think '09 is the year for our SB run.

As far as changes:

1. We need to draft a stud OT in the 1st round

2. Somewhere on day 1 of the draft, we need to draft a DE who can push Keisel for the starting job.

3. I loved what Haggans has done for us, especially in '05, but it is time to let Woodley start at LOLB.

4. If we don't re-sign Faneca, w e are going to have to figure out who put at LG. A draft pick? Mahan? Kemoeatu? Colon? My money is on Colon.

5. Coaching changes must be made. Our ST coach has got to go. Its just one embarassing moment after another. I would also look at dumping our O-line coach. While I know maybe the talent isn't there, there are some teams who are getting alot more out of their guys with even less talent.

6. Continue to get Heath Miller involved. The addition of Matt Spaeth has definitely allowed Miller more opportunities. With Spaeth staying behind to block, Miller has been allowed to run more patterns and made t he most out of it this season.

7. We need to add another WR into the mix, whether its via draft or FA. In this particular case, I think I'd rather go FA.

8. Make a decision on Lawrence Timmons. He was a young junior coming out, so not contributing much to his first season was not a big shocker. Now the question is, where will he contribute in Year 2? He sure isn't going to start. Atleast I don't think so. Harrison-Farrior-Foote-Woodley will make a formidable LB corps. Would the coaching staff allow Timmons to go toe-to-toe with Foote for the starting job and possibly leave a veteran with a big contract on the bench?

9. I know we were missing Fast Willie last night, but we have to figure out where we are going with our stable of undrafted/backup guys. Najeh, Russell, Davis, Kreider & Haynes. Unfortuantely, I think Kreider is gone as he is a UFA. It's been a great ride for him and he's done alot for the Steelers running game. This won't be the first time I mention this guys name: Owen Schmitt. He can replace the roles of everybody listed above, which would save alot of roster spots, of course keep Najeh around just as a change of pace back. He is a FB w ho is a devastating lead blocker, is a power down-hill runner, has great hands out of the backfield, a born leader, and is more or less Jack Lambert at the FB pos

Black@Gold Forever32
01-09-2008, 06:47 PM
I agree with all of your points....I would even put finding a kick returner high on the list as well.....Especially a punt returners...lol The Steelers were terrible all year returning punts....I think Holmes could be badass at a PR.....But I want him to just concentrate on becoming an elite WR which he on track to do so.....

I so much want a LT.......The Steelers really have never had that franchise LT that just anchors a OL for years....This team can't go in with Mahan at center either so finding a center is a must...I don't care if its Faneca resigned to player center or a draft pick.....Just as long as its not Mahan...lol

The Steelers to need some youth at DE big time....But don't rule McBean...It took some time for both Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel to learn the Steelers system...I'm not saying McBean will be a player but I wouldn't rule him out just yet....But a young DE is needed big time...Its just tricky finding those DE for the 3-4....

Woodley will start and I do think the Steelers have enough players that can play OG......I'm sure Simmons will man one spot....I think Willie Colon will slide to OG and start at the other OG spot.....Then Mahan can be the top backup at OG/C.......

Yes the special teams coaches need to go....But every year the Steelers kick coverage units have sucked for the most part this decade...lol I just give up anymore.....Best special teams coach the Steelers ever had was Bobby Aprils....

I think Miller needs a bigger roles as well....Its just hard to get him the ball when there is also Ward and Holmes......But this season the Steelers did throw the ball more to the TEs.....So that is a good sign...

I like Nate Washington and I think he did improve this year....But the Steelers still need more talent at this position.....Plus I would think about finding Hines Ward's replacement and start grooming a WR now....Thats why I think the draft is the best route for adding another WR....

If Lawrence Timmons doesn't play more next year then I will be upset....Even if he isn't a starter he needs to have a big role.....I think he can slide both outside an inside.....Spelling all the LBs at times.....Hopefully though he beats out Larry Foote for the ILB spot....I think his speed and hitting ability would help this defense out next year...

I would like to see the Steelers draft an all around FB that can do it all....I'm talking can block like a badass but also can handle the ball as a runner and receiver.....But if a talented RB falls to the Steelers in rounds 2 or 3 it would be wise to draft one.....I think Davenport, Russell and Davis will all be back next year...Of course Parker also....

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Since you both touched on several areas I'll throw in my 2 cents on a few of them.

I would like to see the Steelers draft an all around FB that can do it all....I'm talking can block like a badass but also can handle the ball as a runner and receiver.....But if a talented RB falls to the Steelers in rounds 2 or 3 it would be wise to draft one.....I think Davenport, Russell and Davis will all be back next year...Of course Parker also....

I think they are pretty happy with Davis as the full time FB now, especially since he showed promise the last weeks of the season and can catch the ball too. I don't think there's any way they go RB or FB on day 1 this year with other more pressing needs. I wouldn't mind seeing them get another RB though and Im sure they will at some point. I think if Russel gets some decent reps he'll see more playing time as the power back in our offense.

I like Nate Washington and I think he did improve this year....But the Steelers still need more talent at this position.....Plus I would think about finding Hines Ward's replacement and start grooming a WR now....Thats why I think the draft is the best route for adding another WR....

No doubt we need help at WR. I think we should bring in a veteran to this group and give us 4 legit WR's in Ward, HOlmes, Washington, and ?. Let Cedric walk and draft a good WR late day 1 or early day 2 and bring him a long slowly.

If Lawrence Timmons doesn't play more next year then I will be upset....Even if he isn't a starter he needs to have a big role.....I think he can slide both outside an inside.....Spelling all the LBs at times.....Hopefully though he beats out Larry Foote for the ILB spot....I think his speed and hitting ability would help this defense out next year...

Im alittle worried about Timmons, I think he really needs to assert himself this offseason and training camp and push Wood for playing time. Im sure Timmons will be the #1 backup but still he needs to really get after it and prove his worth as the first round pick. He's got the potential. If he stays healthy he might even be able to move inside and push Foote and Farrrior but I think he's more suited for outside. We'll see though, I just want him to get out there and show us what he's got. You can't have too many good LB's in the 34 so the more the better.

yinzer
01-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Since you both touched on several areas I'll throw in my 2 cents on a few of them.

I think they are pretty happy with Davis as the full time FB now, especially since he showed promise the last weeks of the season and can catch the ball too. I don't think there's any way they go RB or FB on day 1 this year with other more pressing needs. I wouldn't mind seeing them get another RB though and Im sure they will at some point. I think if Russel gets some decent reps he'll see more playing time as the power back in our offense.

No doubt we need help at WR. I think we should bring in a veteran to this group and give us 4 legit WR's in Ward, HOlmes, Washington, and ?. Let Cedric walk and draft a good WR late day 1 or early day 2 and bring him a long slowly.

Im alittle worried about Timmons, I think he really needs to assert himself this offseason and training camp and push Wood for playing time. Im sure Timmons will be the #1 backup but still he needs to really get after it and prove his worth as the first round pick. He's got the potential. If he stays healthy he might even be able to move inside and push Foote and Farrrior but I think he's more suited for outside. We'll see though, I just want him to get out there and show us what he's got. You can't have too many good LB's in the 34 so the more the better.

i agree. our young LB's are studs!

Troyisabeast_43
01-09-2008, 07:46 PM
I agree with all of your points....I would even put finding a kick returner high on the list as well.....Especially a punt returners...lol The Steelers were terrible all year returning punts....I think Holmes could be badass at a PR.....But I want him to just concentrate on becoming an elite WR which he on track to do so.....

I so much want a LT.......The Steelers really have never had that franchise LT that just anchors a OL for years....This team can't go in with Mahan at center either so finding a center is a must...I don't care if its Faneca resigned to player center or a draft pick.....Just as long as its not Mahan...lol

The Steelers to need some youth at DE big time....But don't rule McBean...It took some time for both Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel to learn the Steelers system...I'm not saying McBean will be a player but I wouldn't rule him out just yet....But a young DE is needed big time...Its just tricky finding those DE for the 3-4....

Woodley will start and I do think the Steelers have enough players that can play OG......I'm sure Simmons will man one spot....I think Willie Colon will slide to OG and start at the other OG spot.....Then Mahan can be the top backup at OG/C.......

Yes the special teams coaches need to go....But every year the Steelers kick coverage units have sucked for the most part this decade...lol I just give up anymore.....Best special teams coach the Steelers ever had was Bobby Aprils....

I think Miller needs a bigger roles as well....Its just hard to get him the ball when there is also Ward and Holmes......But this season the Steelers did throw the ball more to the TEs.....So that is a good sign...

Wow 32 you agree on everything I say that doesnt happen too often lol...Especially with our differences on Troy and what not lol...but you make some good points as well in all the areas I mentioned as well. This team will make another Super Bowl push come 2009 or 2010 I really believe that.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-09-2008, 09:21 PM

Timmons might be better suited for OLB Top.....But he won't be starting any time soon with both Harrison and Woodley on the roster.....We spent a first round pick on the guy so I want him on the field.......Plus Farrior is getting up there and Foote is a good player but the 3-4 asks more out of their LBs...Thats not knocking Foote....But Timmon's has the talent to be a very good player....I just see Lawrence Timmons starting at ILB before OLB on this current team.....But I really think he can slide both from outside to inside.....So next year if he doesn't start I seeing him as the 5th LB and spelling all the LBs spots at times...Plus having a role in sub packages....

As for RB....I don't see it as a major need...But if a talented RB would happen to fall to the Steelers in rounds 2-3 the Steelers would have look at drafting a RB....But there are bigger needs no doubt.....If Kreider isn't back I think it would be wise for this team to find a another good blocking FB....I just prefer that FB to able to do it all....But I see Davenport,Russell and Carey Davis all back with the team next year.....I think Davis is good player to keep for depth and on kick coverage teams....

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

Wow 32 you agree on everything I say that doesnt happen too often lol...Especially with our differences on Troy and what not lol...but you make some good points as well in all the areas I mentioned as well. This team will make another Super Bowl push come 2009 or 2010 I really believe that.

If the Steelers improve their OL and the young players like Woodley and Timmons emerge on the defense its not crazy to think this team might make ot the AFC title game next year......One of the keys to is Troy P playing at the level he did in 2004 and 2005....The Steelers need him at that level if they want to compete for a Super Bowl in the near future....

yinzer
01-09-2008, 09:46 PM

scared about the groin thing, though. that's a nasty, easy to exacerbate injury.

[AutoMerged Post Below]

scared about the groin thing though. that's a nasty, easy to exacerbate injury.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Timmons might be better suited for OLB Top.....But he won't be starting any time soon with both Harrison and Woodley on the roster.....We spent a first round pick on the guy so I want him on the field.......Plus Farrior is getting up there and Foote is a good player but the 3-4 asks more out of their LBs...Thats not knocking Foote....But Timmon's has the talent to be a very good player....I just see Lawrence Timmons starting at ILB before OLB on this current team.....But I really think he can slide both from outside to inside.....So next year if he doesn't start I seeing him as the 5th LB and spelling all the LBs spots at times...Plus having a role in sub packages....

I think he's suited more for OLB too, as far I know he was brought in for that role but if he can expand on it and play inside too he'll get himself a lot more playing time and a lot quicker. I would think though as a young guy they want him to hone his skills on a particular position and really perfect his craft. At this point unless Wood totally falls out Timmons will be the main backup so he'll get his reps plus he can still play on ST too. He's just really got to focus and be on his game this offseason and camp.

DIESELMAN
01-10-2008, 01:59 AM
With the very tough schedule next year, I think just winning the division title again and getting a ticket to the playoffs will make for a successful season. I think '09 is the year for our SB run.

As far as changes:

1. We need to draft a stud OT in the 1st round

2. Somewhere on day 1 of the draft, we need to draft a DE who can push Keisel for the starting job.

3. I loved what Haggans has done for us, especially in '05, but it is time to let Woodley start at LOLB.

4. If we don't re-sign Faneca, w e are going to have to figure out who put at LG. A draft pick? Mahan? Kemoeatu? Colon? My money is on Colon.

5. Coaching changes must be made. Our ST coach has got to go. Its just one embarassing moment after another. I would also look at dumping our O-line coach. While I know maybe the talent isn't there, there are some teams who are getting alot more out of their guys with even less talent.

8. Make a decision on Lawrence Timmons. He was a young junior coming out, so not contributing much to his first season was not a big shocker. Now the question is, where will he contribute in Year 2? He sure isn't going to start. Atleast I don't think so. Harrison-Farrior-Foote-Woodley will make a formidable LB corps. Would the coaching staff allow Timmons to go toe-to-toe with Foote for the starting job and possibly leave a veteran with a big contract on the bench?

Like a few other people here have said, I would like to see us get a franchise LT, but if he's not there on day 1, we shouldn't sweat it. Also, day 1, there are only 2 picks, so DE, WR and maybe CB or even a MLB. Timmons will need to be a stud on ST's before he gets even close to smelling a starting position next season. Farrior, although on the wrong side of 30, still makes more plays then most MLB's in the NFL. As far as special teams, it comes down to 2 things, execution and having a 'KILL" attitude, so far this season I've only seen 2 players with that attitude, Silverback and Davis. In the past, special teams is where we've gotten some of our stud LBers, thats where they shined and carried it over to a starting job on D. Mahan needs to be cut and he owes the Rooney's some money.

black an gold 4 life
01-10-2008, 05:44 PM
n my opinon the steelers play there best ball when they face there toughest challenges, the schedule we have next year is brutal, that's why we have 2 make the right adjustments this off season................we can't compete with these teams next year with out the proper adjustments, we need an 6-5 reciever, 1 shut down corner,we need timmons 2 beat out foote, we need depth on o-line an d-line we needan real o-line coach an we need an real speccial teams coach...............we really need 2 change offensive an defensive coaches because teams have 15 plus years of film on us, on both sides of the ball..........i hope tomlins installs his defense, an we can find a real offensive coordinator, bruce sucks i hear that cam cameron still is available, i know he sucks as an coach but he can run that offense i would like 2 c ben n an offense like the clowns ran..........but if we wanna b playin n tampa n feb we have 2 make some serious changes this off season.....GO STEELERS

K Train
01-10-2008, 05:53 PM
n my opinon the steelers play there best ball when they face there toughest challenges, the schedule we have next year is brutal, that's why we have 2 make the right adjustments this off season................we can't compete with these teams next year with out the proper adjustments, we need an 6-5 reciever, 1 shut down corner,we need timmons 2 beat out foote, we need depth on o-line an d-line we needan real o-line coach an we need an real speccial teams coach...............we really need 2 change offensive an defensive coaches because teams have 15 plus years of film on us, on both sides of the ball..........i hope tomlins installs his defense, an we can find a real offensive coordinator, bruce sucks i hear that cam cameron still is available, i know he sucks as an coach but he can run that offense i would like 2 c ben n an offense like the clowns ran..........but if we wanna b playin n tampa n feb we have 2 make some serious changes this off season.....GO STEELERS

why dont they just make you the coach?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-10-2008, 06:37 PM

Dude you are talking about basically ripping apart the entire team when it's not needed. Let me address just a few of your points.

Getting new offensive and defenses coaches is ridiculous, LOL. It's not about the scheme it's about execution. It's not like Lebeau, Arians, suddenly became stupid. If the players execute a 34 defense the way Lebeau draws it up then we stop everything and everybody. Cam Cameron is not coming to Pittsburgh.

Timmons is not going to be playing for Foote's position right now, he's an OLB that will work his way into the rotation. If he makes the switch inside then that's fine and dandy but if you don't like Foote then you really wouldn't like the growing pains associated with a rookie running the fire blitz, dropping into coverage and everything else that inside backers do in our scheme.

Tomlin is not installing anything other than what's here right now with the players he has. He and Lebeau work very well together, they know how to manage players to get the best out of them. There is always room for improvement but we're running the Cover 2 defense exclusively. We run it and have been running it for years now in situations. We're not just a 34 defense.

We don't need a real Oline coach either, we need a Center that doesn't get manhandled and cause a flood of pass rushers to get through every single play. This team isn't in need of wholesale adjustments, it's in need of tweaking certain positions, getting new depth, and getting healthy.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Dude you are talking about basically ripping apart the entire team when it's not needed. Let me address just a few of your points.

Getting new offensive and defenses coaches is ridiculous, LOL. It's not about the scheme it's about execution. It's not like Lebeau, Arians, suddenly became stupid. If the players execute a 34 defense the way Lebeau draws it up then we stop everything and everybody. Cam Cameron is not coming to Pittsburgh.

Timmons is not going to be playing for Foote's position right now, he's an OLB that will work his way into the rotation. If he makes the switch inside then that's fine and dandy but if you don't like Foote then you really wouldn't like the growing pains associated with a rookie running the fire blitz, dropping into coverage and everything else that inside backers do in our scheme.

Tomlin is not installing anything other than what's here right now with the players he has. He and Lebeau work very well together, they know how to manage players to get the best out of them. There is always room for improvement but we're running the Cover 2 defense exclusively. We run it and have been running it for years now in situations. We're not just a 34 defense.

We don't need a real Oline coach either, we need a Center that doesn't get manhandled and cause a flood of pass rushers to get through every single play. This team isn't in need of wholesale adjustments, it's in need of tweaking certain positions, getting new depth, and getting healthy.

I'm sure Timmons has been learning the playbook and is probably learning both the OLB and ILB positions.....With Harrison and Woodley as starting OLBs on the team we would have to see Timmons sliding to the inside if he wants any chance to start.....I know I don't want to wait 3-5 years for our 2007 first round pick to become a starter....lol If Timmons remains just at OLB he won't be starting until Harrison is gone in 3-5 years...lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-11-2008, 02:52 PM
I know, that's what Im worried about. If anything Wood came in alittle bigger than what most of our 34 OLB's are so he dropped some weight and has really fit in nicely this year. Silverback is locked in as the starter so which means Timmons will probably fill the role that Wood did for us this year. I wonder if Tomlin has an open competition for them both; I would think he probably will but right now Wood definitely has the upper hand with more experience.

If Timmons moves inside that would definitely push Foote for more playing time; competition is always good. Right now we pretty much have nothing in the way of viable depth behind Foote and Farrior. I think he is more suited to OLB though so it's going to be interesting.