PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin to retain both coordinators LeBeau, Arians

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2008, 06:04 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08009/847735-66.stm?cmpid=HBEHTML

Tomlin to retain both coordinators LeBeau, Arians
Wednesday, January 09, 2008

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Tomlin's top coaches will return to their jobs next season, sources on the Steelers said yesterday.

Dick LeBeau will return as defensive coordinator in 2008, which will be his 36th season as an assistant or head coach in the NFL.

Bruce Arians will be back for his second year as offensive coordinator after Tomlin promoted him from wide receivers coach under Bill Cowher a year ago.

Often, a first-time head coach who has not been associated with some of the assistants he hired will make moves after he works with them for a year. But Tomlin has decided to make no changes in his coordinators for next season.

LeBeau, 70, coached the defense to the No. 1 ranking in yards allowed in the NFL this season. They also ranked third in the league against the run and third against the pass. LeBeau was Cowher's defensive coordinator since 2004, his second stint with the team. He also coached Cowher's first five seasons as secondary coach for three years and coordinator for two.

Arians, 55, has been a coach since 1975 and an NFL assistant for 11 seasons. He was offensive coordinator for three season with the Cleveland Browns before joining the Steelers as their wide receivers coach in 2004.

The offense under Arians ranked 17th in the NFL this season, third in rushing. Most important, Ben Roethlisberger rebounded from a poor 2006 to have his best season statistically of his four years in the NFL, ranking second only to New England's Tom Brady with a 104.1 passer rating and setting a Steelers record with 32 touchdown passes.

I hope you all realized this was going to happen, in regards to Arians. I've been saying all along that Tomlin isn't going to can him after just 1 season. He'll give him the benefit of the doubt for atleast 1 more year and see how it goes. Ben likes working with him, the offensive players like his scheme, and the stats don't lie regardless of how many times some of his calls made us want to :banging: . Tomlin is too rational and level headed to not give Arians another chance to be the OC for this team. Hopefully he'll learn from his mistakes and also just improve all around so we aren't as predictable in certain situations.

Congrats on Lebeau coming back again, I look forward to seeing what he can cook up with a healthy defense.

LatrobePA
01-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Just ruined my day! The only thing I can hope for is that this wanker learned from his mistakes....Granted he did have Ben looking sharp and we still ran the ball wrong, play calling and lack of fresh plays is what did me in...

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2008, 09:05 AM
Give this offense a fresh, tough, big offensive line that blocks and Ben will have 40 TD's and Willie will have 1300-1400 yds again. He does need to learn from the mistakes he did make though I'll grant you that. He's got an entire offseason to watch the film and make adjustments.

LatrobePA
01-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Give this offense a fresh, tough, big offensive line that blocks and Ben will have 40 TD's and Willie will have 1300-1400 yds again. He does need to learn from the mistakes he did make though I'll grant you that. He's got an entire offseason to watch the film and make adjustments.

Agree'd 100%. Looking back the guy did do some things right, so not all bad (I guess). I was not a big supporter of him, but like you said with a badass line, the sky could be the limit.:banana:

Iron City South
01-09-2008, 09:31 AM
No surprises here.

Tomlin does however need to tweak a few things. The first thing he needs to do is put Arians *** up in the booth so that he can see what the hell is going on both offensively and also to see what defensive looks other teams are giving Ben.

DIESELMAN
01-09-2008, 09:42 AM
No surprises here.

Tomlin does however need to tweak a few things. The first thing he needs to do is put Arians *** up in the booth so that he can see what the hell is going on both offensively and also to see what defensive looks other teams are giving Ben.

Thats a good idea, hopefully Tomlin will do some micro managing while he's at it.

LatrobePA
01-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Hook a damn shock collar to him, when he f's up zap him....

ARKIESTEEL
01-09-2008, 09:47 AM
I might get rocks thrown at me but I dont think we would have been in that Jags game at all if BA hadnt called the game he did. The next to the last drive being very poorly called is the exception

black an gold 4 life
01-09-2008, 09:57 AM
the same results we had this year will b the same results we have next year, :evilshake:every one is hipp 2 what the steelers do defensively,:cursin: healthy or not we can't keep using these same schemes..............an on offense we can't keep doing what we did n the playoffs,especially once we took the lead:cursin: we need CHANGE PEOPLE:cursin:MAN I'M DEPRESSED ALREADY 4 IT WILL B THE SAME RESULTS NEXT YEAR LIKE THIS YEAR.......................................:cursin :

memphissteelergirl
01-09-2008, 10:08 AM
the same results we had this year will b the same results we have next year, :evilshake:every one is hipp 2 what the steelers do defensively,:cursin: healthy or not we can't keep using these same schemes..............an on offense we can't keep doing what we did n the playoffs,especially once we took the lead:cursin: we need CHANGE PEOPLE:cursin:MAN I'M DEPRESSED ALREADY 4 IT WILL B THE SAME RESULTS NEXT YEAR LIKE THIS YEAR.......................................:cursin :

Take a Valium, baby, you'll be aiiight...

Anyway, like TG said, they have the entire offseason to re-evaluate and adjust. I was not thrilled with the job Arians did either but as it is his first year I am willing to see how he calls the games next season (the idea of putting him upstairs in the booth is a good idea, btw).

AZ_Steeler
01-09-2008, 11:07 AM
I'll backup whatever decisions Tomlin makes.. the O-line was really shakey at times this year, and the running game was missing as well. Plus this was Ben's first year calling some of his own plays and he needs to learn to exploit what the D is given him rather than trying to improvise.

I'll give Arians one more year but that's it!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2008, 12:00 PM
I wonder too if Tomlin will Arians to be up in the booth more. I know Bruce has stated he likes being down on the sidelines. I would think though why not let Kenny Anderson work with Ben on the sidelines and relay info up to Bruce in the booth?

K Train
01-09-2008, 12:18 PM

this coming from someone who has said he wants the bengals WR coach for our OC...cause that alone qualifies him

NOVA STEELERS
01-09-2008, 12:42 PM
I am happy to hear that D. LeBeau :cope: is coming back for another season with the STEELER D...... I still have doubts about Arians thou :scratch: Have not heard anything about our 2 Special needs (teams) coaches...... They should definatley be givin the walking papers IMO.

Iron City South
01-09-2008, 01:00 PM
I'll backup whatever decisions Tomlin makes..

I'll give Arians one more year but that's it!

This is kind of where I'm at as well. Let's face it, for the obvious reason people are making Arians their whipping bitch this week and deservingly so. I also noticed he admitted in today's paper that the now infamous "Arians Abortion" on 3rd and 6 wasn't exactly the best call to make and that he should have let Ben throw it.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_546489.html

Quote:
The Steelers might have won had they converted a third-and-six from their 26-yard line with 2:56 remaining.

A run around left end by Roethlisberger gained only 1 yard, and the Steelers punted. "I should have let him throw it again, probably, instead of running it," Arians said.

...but, to his credit, Arians did do some good things this year:

1. He rewrote the play book for the first time in 15 years. Should be much easier for rookies/free agent to learn our offense.

2. He asked Ben to use Ben's terminology. Since ben will be our quarterback for his entire career, seems like a great idea to have the playbook be written for him/by him. How many other coordinators would do that? Ben seems to like the guy.

3. Ben had the best year of his short pro-career (broke a few Steelers records) and Parker was leading the league in rushing before he went down. Mind you, he did both of these with a ****** Off. line. Santonio Holmes had a break-out year. Heath Miller had his best year ever as well.

Like I said, there's no debating that his playcalling was "scatter-shot" and downright atrocious at times and his lack of adjustments are something he needs to work on. I just wanted to add the fact that he did do SOME good things.

K Train
01-09-2008, 01:03 PM
ive defended arians all season, i dont think he did a bad job considering the **** line he was working with, the call on 3rd and 6 was the first one i was disgusted by...but hes doing a good job, it was his first year, just like anyone else theres a learning curve to adjust to

dick rasile
01-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Coaches can only improve by getting better at their craft then the opposition does.
I only hope that during the off season the coaches view some tapes and learn to incorporate some of the newness we've witnessed in College Football this season.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2008, 01:54 PM
That's not the first time that Bruce has owned up to a mistake in public. He's man enough to admit when he potentially screwed up. The main thing in 2008 will be to see if he learns from what happened this year and makes a lot fewer mistakes.

steelcurtaingal
01-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Hook a damn shock collar to him, when he f's up zap him....

not a bad idea

Iron City South
01-09-2008, 02:12 PM
That's not the first time that Bruce has owned up to a mistake in public. He's man enough to admit when he potentially screwed up.

Admitting it is one thing, but when you see a pattern of someone who repeatedly second guesses himself on Monday mornings, at some point you have to question his critical decision making skills.

Personally, I think the man's resume screams gas station attendant while the name plate on his white coat say M.D.

....he's not bright ... and he's in way over his head.

Ambridge
01-09-2008, 02:25 PM
I think we'll have to suffer through another year of "Bonehead" Bruce's playcalling before he gets his over-due walking papers.

Glad to hear Dick Lebeau is coming back. I'm sure he'll tweek that defense a bit and get some fresher-younger bodies in their to hopefully tighten things up a bit.

Can someone please answer me this question.

It's 4 Days after a bitter playoff loss....so why haven't ST's Coach Bob Ligashesky and O-line Coach Larry Zierlein been FIRED?!?!?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Can someone please answer me this question.

It's 4 Days after a bitter playoff loss....so why haven't ST's Coach Bob Ligashesky and O-line Coach Larry Zierlein been FIRED?!?!?

I would hope if nothing else he's just waiting for a week or so to make it look like he's not making a knee jerk reaction but it won't come soon enough ! We've been through so many freeking ST coaches over the years at this point Charlie Brown is probably on the radar...

Black@Gold Forever32
01-09-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm glad Coach LeBeau isn't retiring...I just couldn't picture him out of the NFL yet even though he is older then dirt...lol As for Bruce Arians.....He deserves a second chance really....I was hard on him but I'm hard on all OCs...lol I always bitch at the HC and the OC....lol I complained constantly about Cowher and all his OCs throughout the years....

Troyisabeast_43
01-09-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm glad Coach LeBeau isn't retiring...I just couldn't picture him out of the NFL yet even though he is older then dirt...lol As for Bruce Arians.....He deserves a second chance really....I was hard on him but I'm hard on all OCs...lol I always bitch at the HC and the OC....lol I complained constantly about Cowher and all his OCs throughout the years....

This coaching staff and this regime have only been in for one season. Except Lebeau, who produced one of the best defenses in the NFL until they got hit by injuries, Aaron Smith and Both Safeties. I have no problem with keeping both coordinators. Our problems related more to on-field personnel than to schemes - except possibly on kick coverage. I dont understand why people thought he would get rid of Arians anyways. Even though Ben has made a lot of stupid mistakes this yr, he is alot better then what he was.

I dont know if that has to do with Arians or not, but they are not going to change something that works.
I think LeBeau is one of the all time best. Arians had some iffy calls that did not work. Some of that was just pure speculation. But more specifically, with a new staff, you don't toss a coach out after just one year unless they are terrible. Say an unnamed special teams coach for example. I'm fine with Tomlin keeping Arians and LeBeau. It's Zierlein and Ligashesky that I have issues with.

Arians will learn, hey, we had the leagues leading rusher for most of the year, a young QB who had a perfect game and a team who averaged more points than they conceeded and let me check, isn't that the idea, score more points than your opponents. The only major worry was the OL, but hopefully Tomlin will address that through the Draft and free agency.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2008, 05:19 PM

Yeah just think what Tomlin and Lebeau will be able to cook with this defense once they get healthy again and we get more production from our OLB's in the pass rush. I like how they work well together and incorporate their ideas into our scheme's on the field.

JensK
01-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Well, if you look over the whole season Arians have had some really retarted play-calls but also some pretty neat onces aswell. I have faith in him, however its going to disapear quickly if he don't show up with some smarter playcalls in 08. If tomlim trust him, as do i. If Tomlin fires him, i support that too. You've got to remember that maybe some of the "less" smart playcalls by Arians wasnt so stupid after all, but its hard to call plays if the QB is getting sacked faster than he can say HUT. Its also hard to call good running games if the defence can run right up too him and tackle him. We'll see whats going to happen in 08. If he gets a good O-line we may see some of the stupid plays get much better.

steel-tex
01-09-2008, 05:30 PM
another year of ( they call me bruce ) . what did we do to deserve this??? he got canned in cleveland because he stunk it up and now he has stunk it up here. another chance at what--- being so imaginative with his play calling. this guy needs a new job. dam the bad luck.

Stlrs4Life
01-09-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm glad we retained Lebeau. Guess I'm willing to accept Arians for 1 more season. Hopefully Tomlin had a little talk with him.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Look at it this way all, atleast we don't have Ray Sherman calling the plays for us anymore :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Look at it this way all, atleast we don't have Ray Sherman calling the plays for us anymore :lol:

Ray Sherman.....:lol: What a tool........The man that replaced Chan Gailey...lol I liked Gailey but Sherman was terrible....I also thought Kevin Gilbride sucked *** as well with us.....I still cuss at him every time I see a Giants game....lol

Stlrs4Life
01-09-2008, 06:17 PM
I really didn't want to read this:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed= (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_546489.html?source=rss&feed=9) :banging:

yinzer
01-09-2008, 06:23 PM
This is kind of where I'm at as well. Let's face it, for the obvious reason people are making Arians their whipping bitch this week and deservingly so. I also noticed he admitted in today's paper that the now infamous "Arians Abortion" on 3rd and 6 wasn't exactly the best call to make and that he should have let Ben throw it.

...but, to his credit, Arians did do some good things this year:

1. He rewrote the play book for the first time in 15 years. Should be much easier for rookies/free agent to learn our offense.

2. He asked Ben to use Ben's terminology. Since ben will be our quarterback for his entire career, seems like a great idea to have the playbook be written for him/by him. How many other coordinators would do that? Ben seems to like the guy.

3. Ben had the best year of his short pro-career (broke a few Steelers records) and Parker was leading the league in rushing before he went down. Mind you, he did both of these with a shiatty Off. line. Santonio Holmes had a break-out year. Heath Miller had his best year ever as well.

Like I said, there's no debating that his playcalling was "scatter-shot" and downright atrocious at times and his lack of adjustments are something he needs to work on. I just wanted to add the fact that he did do SOME good things.

you know what? that's at least the second time this season that arians has come publically about his poor play calling in a play that had cost us the game.:banging: that doesn't sit well with me at all.

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

Coaches can only improve by getting better at their craft then the opposition does.
I only hope that during the off season the coaches view some tapes and learn to incorporate some of the newness we've witnessed in College Football this season.

i got two words. marvin lewis!

K Train
01-09-2008, 06:27 PM
damn leave the dude alone

yinzer
01-09-2008, 06:38 PM
did it really take arians till the end of the season to realize ben was special? :clueless:

[AutoMerged Post Below]

damn leave the dude alone

easy, hard charger! is arians your dad or something?

Prosdo
01-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Glad LeBeau is staying. Arians, I just hope he learns from his short comings this year. I liked a lot of his stuff early in the season, but then he just tank by trying to be too creative or out thinking the opponent. I do think the ST coach needs to go. The Steelers ST this year were dreadful.

yinzer
01-09-2008, 08:41 PM
good to have dick back! hopefully arians has something good up his sleeve for next season or he's doneski.

K Train
01-09-2008, 08:50 PM
did it really take arians till the end of the season to realize ben was special? :clueless:

[AutoMerged Post Below]

easy, hard charger! is arians your dad or something?

did arians **** your girl or something?

TampaSteelGirl
01-09-2008, 09:36 PM
:+1:....

steelcurtaingal
01-09-2008, 10:01 PM
whoa boys just chill

steel-tex
01-10-2008, 09:51 AM
(they call me bruce) enough said!!!

BBG7
01-10-2008, 10:15 AM

I don't think so...if he didn't think he was special he would not have had Ben halp writing the playbook, and would not have cared what plays Ben liked and didn't like.

I think you need to get over it already. He's back for another season, you can either accept it and move on...or cry for atleast another year if not more!

I don't think we can judge an entire season by a few play calls. He had many positives to go along with the negatives.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Also keep in mind with Bruce, he may have been a Cleveland castoff but considering what he had to work with as far as talent goes in Cleveland we can also give him the benefit of the doubt alittle more at times. he had nobody with any decent talent around him like he does now so he's really just beginning to realize what he can do :crossfingers:

LatrobePA
01-10-2008, 11:24 AM
I don't think we can judge an entire season by a few play calls. He had many positives to go along with the negatives.

I'm over it, and am not trying to kick a dead horse, but yes you can judge a season by a few bad calls when they cost you from advancing into the PO's which is the ultimate goal, reaching the SB.

steelcurtaingal
01-10-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm over it, and am not trying to kick a dead horse, but yes you can judge a season by a few bad calls when they cost you from advancing into the PO's which is the ultimate goal, reaching the SB.

yes thats the ultimate goal.. but in that case.. no coach can ever live up to those expectations EVERY season.

BBG7
01-10-2008, 01:36 PM
yes thats the ultimate goal.. but in that case.. no coach can ever live up to those expectations EVERY season.

Great point girl...plus that call wasn't the only reason we lost the game! There were a lot of factors that led to that loss! It's not like we played a perect flawless game and that one call was the single reason we lost. Yes if it wasn't for that call, we might have won...but if Ben didn't throw a int for 6 or one of the other 2 we might have won, or if Tomlin would have gone for one instead of 2 after the phamtom holding call...the list goes on and on and has the topic has been beat to death. Also, are you psychic, what if a pass was called and wasn't completed...guess what...same outcome. There are no guarentees that if not for that call we would have won...it's time to move on.