PDA

View Full Version : Still very much looking forward to the 2008 season...

Troyisabeast_43
01-08-2008, 06:27 PM
I wanted to wait a little for all the obligatory bench Ben, fire all the coaches, Batch is the greatest QB in world, etc. posts before putting this out. Maybe could have even waited a little longer but I can't wait for '08 and the chance to watch our Steelers in action again.

Obviously, we have a few major concerns, primarily on both our lines, our special teams, and maybe DB depth. But I also think we have alot to look forward too. I think we are strong in the skill positions. Regardless of some of the 'fans' on this board think, we have a franchise QB and strong backup. We could use some depth and WR and RB but have excellent starters. And I believe that Heath Miller is a stud at TE and needs to be used more. As for Tomlin I know I have been tough on him the last few days since the playoffs loss Saturday but when you stop to think about it How many first time, first year, HC take a team to the playoffs after missing the previous year? Hopefully Coach Tomlin can build on what he learned this year and continue to grow and we can keep another coach around for 15-20 years. I do believe this team has a lot of work to do before reaching another Super Bowl title but I do believe this team has a very good chance of getting to the Super Bowl in either 2009 or 2010.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2008, 06:36 PM
I wanted to wait a little for all the obligatory bench Ben, fire all the coaches, Batch is the greatest QB in world, etc. posts before putting this out. Maybe could have even waited a little longer but I can't wait for '08 and the chance to watch our Steelers in action again.

Obviously, we have a few major concerns, primarily on both our lines, our special teams, and maybe DB depth. But I also think we have alot to look forward too. I think we are strong in the skill positions. Regardless of some of the 'fans' on this board think, we have a franchise QB and strong backup. We could use some depth and WR and RB but have excellent starters. And I believe that Heath Miller is a stud at TE and needs to be used more. As for Tomlin I know I have been tough on him the last few days since the playoffs loss Saturday but when you stop to think about it How many first time, first year, HC take a team to the playoffs after missing the previous year? Hopefully Coach Tomlin can build on what he learned this year and continue to grow and we can keep another coach around for 15-20 years. I do believe this team has a lot of work to do before reaching another Super Bowl title but I do believe this team has a very good chance of getting to the Super Bowl in either 2009 or 2010.

Who said bench Ben?:lol: I don't recall reading one post on this site that stated anything of the sort.....If you really think that some of us that think Ben played terrible in the first half and his three picks were the main reason the Steelers lost is calling for him to benched is rather retarded.....:lol: Benching Ben has never entered my mind and he came through with my prediction of him throwing 30 TD passes this year....Big Ben is one of my favorite players but I will be critical of him when he has a half like he did in the first half....I stay true to knocking any player....Plus stating that Ben had a terrible first half isn't really knocking him...He did and thats fact...lol

Quit getting so butt hurt when some fans are critical of the team or a player.....

Koopa
01-08-2008, 06:37 PM
a question........who's saying ben isn't a franshice qb??? and aside from ppl such as me, saying fire arians, who's saying fire all the coaching staff......and who ever said charlie batch is the best qb ever...... i haven't seen any of that stuff.......well from the legit members, don't mind the ppl that come just to post like the world is ending and then never return

but you are right, we do have a lot to look forward to next year especially if we fix that oline, ben had a great season and if he had a line it would've been better.....holmes is gonna be one hell of a player and i can't wait to see him tear it up next year, and hopefully ben will stop being a retard and throw to heath more when he's in trouble instead of taking all those ****ing sacks, or at least throw it away...........and i think anthony smith will improve a lot, this was a great learning experince for him, he needed to hit rock bottom to humble him, his first year he came in and did great and was probably to high on himself, so this season was great for him..........

Troyisabeast_43
01-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Who said bench Ben?:lol: I don't recall reading one post on this site that stated anything of the sort.....If you really think that some of us that think Ben played terrible in the first half and his three picks were the main reason the Steelers lost is calling for him to benched is rather retarded.....:lol: Benching Ben has never entered my mind and he came through with my prediction of him throwing 30 TD passes this year....Big Ben is one of my favorite players but I will be critical of him when he has a half like he did in the first half....I stay true to knocking any player....Plus stating that Ben had a terrible first half isn't really knocking him...He did and thats fact...lol

Quit getting so butt hurt when some fans are critical of the team or a player.....

Hey, I love Ben as much as anyone, but 3 picks won't win you many games I know that. Im not getting butt hurt about anything at all. I don't understand the need from some to bash the guy incessantly every time we lose, but I also don't understand the need by some to baby him through every loss and preemptively defend him.

Also, how old does he have to be before the "He's still young" stuff stops? He just finished his fourth season, will probably be getting a huge contract extension this year, etc. Every year, a player is "still learning" which Brett Favre even said earlier this season, but it's time to stop with excuses.

We lost, Ben played a great 2nd half, but had a terrible 1st half. So, he should get his share of the blame, along with the coaches, o-line, defense, special teams, etc.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2008, 06:52 PM
Hey, I love Ben as much as anyone, but 3 picks won't win you many games I know that. Im not getting butt hurt about anything at all. I don't understand the need from some to bash the guy incessantly every time we lose, but I also don't understand the need by some to baby him through every loss and preemptively defend him.

Also, how old does he have to be before the "He's still young" stuff stops? He just finished his fourth season, will probably be getting a huge contract extension this year, etc. Every year, a player is "still learning" which Brett Favre even said earlier this season, but it's time to stop with excuses.

We lost, Ben played a great 2nd half, but had a terrible 1st half. So, he should get his share of the blame, along with the coaches, o-line, defense, special teams, etc.

Ok you're losing me here....You posted that some of were calling for Ben to be benched......Now you're saying some of us are babying him?.....Ok....:scratch:

I'm not calling for him to benched and I'm not babying him....He was terrible in the first half and he played lights out in the second half...I have said this samething since the game was over.....Which is the general thought on this site of Big Ben....I havn't read any posts of people wanting him to benched or anybody babying him....

Troyisabeast_43
01-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Ok you're losing me here....You posted that some of were calling for Ben to be benched......Now you're saying some of us are babying him?.....Ok....:scratch:

I'm not calling for him to benched and I'm not babying him....He was terrible in the first half and he played lights out in the second half...I have said this samething since the game was over.....Which is the general thought on this site of Big Ben....I havn't read any posts of people wanting him to benched or anybody babying him....

There have been posts on here on occasion that I have seen people say to put Batch in and what not. Im not saying you in particular but I have seen them this season from time to time. The he is still young excuse Ive heard on talk shows and radio shows in town more so on message boards. One thing I like about Ben is he shouldered his share of the blame and rightfully so,but the play calling on the second to last possession was absolutely insane .After that dumb running play on second down,they come up with a qb draw on 3rd and 6.They took the game out of Ben's hands and it cost them big time.A first down there and we're getting ready for NE this week.The fact that they didn't have enough faith in the kid to hit a 5 yard pass on second down is what kills me.The coaaching staff choked and lost the chance to win the game by playing not to lose it.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Any post that says bench Ben and put in Charlie is coming from people who are just pissed off at the time after he has a bad game, throws an Int. or just generally does something they don't like. Anybody would actually think this team should bench or trade Ben for the long haul should have their Steelers fan card revoked because anybody knows this team doesn't win SB XL, doesn't get to the playoffs, and doesn't have a prayer of winning the AFCN again for a LONG time without him.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2008, 07:07 PM
There have been posts on here on occasion that I have seen people say to put Batch in and what not. Im not saying you in particular but I have seen them this season from time to time. The he is still young excuse Ive heard on talk shows and radio shows in town more so on message boards. One thing I like about Ben is he shouldered his share of the blame and rightfully so,but the play calling on the second to last possession was absolutely insane .After that dumb running play on second down,they come up with a qb draw on 3rd and 6.They took the game out of Ben's hands and it cost them big time.A first down there and we're getting ready for NE this week.The fact that they didn't have enough faith in the kid to hit a 5 yard pass on second down is what kills me.The coaaching staff choked and lost the chance to win the game by playing not to lose it.

That play call on 3rd down was terrible.....I agree and it was one of the worst play calls in all of my years of watching the Steelers and the NFL...lol Really Bruce Arians should pack his bags with that call...I'm sorry but thats just gutless and really I don't understand the call still....The coaches should have put the ball in Ben's hands to win the game...All we can hope if next year if the Steelers are in the play-offs that the coaches do put the ball in Ben's hand to win the game...

Troyisabeast_43
01-08-2008, 07:18 PM
That play call on 3rd down was terrible.....I agree and it was one of the worst play calls in all of my years of watching the Steelers and the NFL...lol Really Bruce Arians should pack his bags with that call...I'm sorry but thats just gutless and really I don't understand the call still....The coaches should have put the ball in Ben's hands to win the game...All we can hope if next year if the Steelers are in the play-offs that the coaches do put the ball in Ben's hand to win the game...

So many things went wrong this game, I will agree.

But that series of plays Arians called with 4:00 to go was the most gutless set of plays I have ever seen called in my life.

We OWNED them with the short-intermediate passes the entire second half...and Arians calls THOSE plays?

You usually won't run your RUNNING BACK on 3rd-6...so you run your QUARTERBACK then?

Arians has been doing this all year. when the going gets tough, he gets gutless and tries to get cute...and cute means you LOSE.
Championship teams would have gone for the throat on that drive.

How about a little play action on 2nd down? Or just a straight drop back. Run a quick slant? When it was 2nd and 5, what are the odds that we would pick up the first down if we had thrown on second (and if necessary 3rd down) - I think about 75-80%. One first down, and they would be getting the ball back around their 20, with less than 2 minutes and no timeouts.

Ben had been picking them apart all half. BA showed a total lack of faith in his guy. I am completely disgusted by the playcalling.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2008, 07:24 PM

But that series of plays Arians called with 4:00 to go was the most gutless set of plays I have ever seen called in my life.

We OWNED them with the short-intermediate passes the entire second half...and Arians calls THOSE plays?

You usually won't run your RUNNING BACK on 3rd-6...so you run your QUARTERBACK then?

Arians has been doing this all year. when the going gets tough, he gets gutless and tries to get cute...and cute means you LOSE.

How about a little play action on 2nd down? Or just a straight drop back. Run a quick slant? When it was 2nd and 5, what are the odds that we would pick up the first down if we had thrown on second (and if necessary 3rd down) - I think about 75-80%. One first down, and they would be getting the ball back around their 20, with less than 2 minutes and no timeouts.

Ben had been picking them apart all half. BA showed a total lack of faith in his guy. I am completely disgusted by the playcalling.

What I want to know and I'm sure you even asked this also this year....Were has the quick slant been this year? They called for one against the Jags and Ben threw it to Holmes on 4th down on that one series and Holmes took it to the house after breaking some tackles....

But with the protection this team has had with protecting Ben...The quick slant would have helped Ben out by getting rid of the ball quicker and helping the OL out also.....Really the quick slant should be a staple of this offense....

LatrobePA
01-08-2008, 07:42 PM
I say trade Ben for McNabb!! LOL J/K

yinzer
01-08-2008, 09:18 PM

I've been tearing up Arians forever. But, oddly enough, someone didn't like it a few posts ago. Arians does suck whether people think so or not and Ben played terrible the first half of the game. Those comments are not bashing anybody. Those comments state the truth. Those guys are human and make mistakes. But arians shiat the bed on a continuous basis and that's not going to cut it. Sorry, Arians lovers.

LatrobePA
01-08-2008, 09:38 PM
I've been tearing up Arians forever. But, oddly enough, someone didn't like it a few posts ago. Arians does suck whether people think so or not and Ben played terrible the first half of the game. Those comments are not bashing anybody. Those comments state the truth. Those guys are human and make mistakes. But arians shiat the bed on a continuous basis and that's not going to cut it. Sorry, Arians lovers.

I was reading out on rumorville that BA may be considered for a head spot out there among the numer of teams without one at the moment. Of course this is prolly only a rumor. Either way send his *** packing yall!!

Dee Mca
01-08-2008, 09:45 PM
I wont lie I honestly said bench Ben Saturday night around the begining of the 4th quarter. Why simple down by 18. The O-line not blocking. Ben getting smacked around. Down by 18 the Jags knew we would be passing almost every down so they was blitzing. Why leave him out their to get killed. By the end of the game I will admit I was wrong. If they would have benched Ben We wouldn't have seen perhaps one of the greatest come backs ever. All that other stuff wasn't said by me.