PDA

View Full Version : Faneca and Starks Free agency

catlabman
01-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Guard Alan Faneca will be an unrestricted free agent and the Steelers have a month to work out new contracts with Faneca and offensive tackle Max Starks. They will attempt to re-sign both players.

"We can't lose the heart of this team," strong safety Troy Polamalu said. "Alan is the heart of this team."

At 31, Faneca can have several more effective seasons as a guard. The Steelers believe Faneca can make a transition to center, if not next season then later in his career.

Team chairman Dan Rooney has always regretted allowing Rod Woodson to leave as a free agent and will do everything possible to keep Faneca, who, like Woodson, was a member of the Steelers' 75th Anniversary team.

Faneca became emotional when talking about how Saturday's game might have been his last with the Steelers. He wants to stay with Pittsburgh and the Steelers want to make it happen.

With the Steelers expected to be $18 million under next year's salary cap, they will have the means to get deals done with Faneca and Starks, though working out an extension with Roethlisberger also will be an offseason priority.

By re-signing Faneca and Starks, the Steelers won't be forced to select two offensive linemen early in the draft. They could instead select one lineman, play Faneca or Kendall Simmons at center - where Mahan was a flop - and move right tackle Willie Colon to guard. That would allow the Steelers to draft another offensive playmaker - either a wide receiver or running back who can also return kicks - early in the draft.

Outside linebacker Clark Haggans also is an unrestricted free agent, but rookie LaMarr Woodley showed against Jacksonville - two sacks and three pressures - that he's ready to be a force next season.

Having defensive end Aaron Smith and free safety Ryan Clark healthy next season also will help.

The Steelers don't need a total overhaul, just some minor tweaks. They have something about 25 teams don't - a franchise quarterback. And when you have a franchise quarterback, you don't rebuild, you retool.

F. Dale Lolley can be reached at dlolley@observer-reporter.com

Just read this on the internet, they say that the Rooney's are trying to keep Faneca and Starks. Any thoughts?

AZ_Steeler
01-08-2008, 03:10 PM
I've never given a thought of Faneca at center... that might not be bad after watching the last flop this past season.

If the FO can keep Faneca and Starks that would be great but they also need to think longterm and don't want to strap the team to the point they have to dump everyone and end up like the Niners...

steelcitysfinestXL
01-08-2008, 03:40 PM
I've never given a thought of Faneca at center... that might not be bad after watching the last flop this past season.

If the FO can keep Faneca and Starks that would be great but they also need to think longterm and don't want to strap the team to the point they have to dump everyone and end up like the Niners...

I agree!!! We have guys on this team that can play guard ex: Chris-K and Colon would make a mean *** guard combo to sandwich a 1st or second round center!!! Starx at RT, marvel at LT.. which leaves you alot of money to go affter other players!!!! I love faneca but he is gonna command HIGH dollar... i cant see us paying him a Stienbach like $50 MIL plus signing Bing Ben to a top 5 QB deal... How ever they do it... i hope it doesnt restrict us in the future!!!!!

Iron City South
01-08-2008, 03:50 PM
ya, know ... I'm gettin real Gad damn tired of other players on this team running to the defense of other players and coaches as if to act as their PR spokespersons or Agents every time a decision needs to be made or money needs to be dulled out ....

If Polamalu is so insistant that Faneca is the "heart" of this team, why in the fu<k doesn't he step up as a leader and offer to be the heart? You would figure with the paycheck TP is taking home, he would step up to the plate and start showing some of his own leadership.

K Train
01-08-2008, 03:54 PM
I agree!!! We have guys on this team that can play guard ex: Chris-K and Colon would make a mean *** guard combo to sandwich a 1st or second round center!!! Starx at RT, marvel at LT.. which leaves you alot of money to go affter other players!!!! I love faneca but he is gonna command HIGH dollar... i cant see us paying him a Stienbach like $50 MIL plus signing Bing Ben to a top 5 QB deal... How ever they do it... i hope it doesnt restrict us in the future!!!!!

so you like mediocrity for an offensive line? great idea!!!!!!!!!!!

If chris k was any good he wouldve played by now, we need to clear the line of the scrubs plain and simple.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-08-2008, 03:55 PM
ya, know ... I'm gettin real Gad damn tired of other players on this team running to the defense of other players and coaches as if to act as their PR spokespersons or Agents .... If Polamalu is so insistant that Faneca is the "heart" of this team, why in the fu<k doesn't he step up as a leader and offer to be the heart?

Well what do you expect them to say??

Interviewer to Troy: What do you think about Alan Faneca leaving?

Troy: "he sucks get rid of his big dumb ***"

Now honestly, if the players didn't come to the defense of each other wouldn't you be just a tad bit worried about the locker room chemistry? The fact that these players stick together is a sign they believe in one another and there is a good vibe in the locker room. Nobody wants to see anybody leave but they know it's reality. Besides emotions were high after that game and players speak from the heart.

The Rooneys' and Tomlin will sign who they can for the money they want to spend regardless of what the players think. All of them wanted Cowher to stay and Whiz or Grimm to get the job the Rooney's went in another direction. The owners will listen to the players plead the case for another but they won't let it deter their overall plans.

steelcitysfinestXL
01-08-2008, 04:12 PM
so you like mediocrity for an offensive line? great idea!!!!!!!!!!!

If chris k was any good he wouldve played by now, we need to clear the line of the scrubs plain and simple.

No, I want sean mahan and kendall simmons gone!!!! I think its gonna be near impossible to sign faneca for the money he is gonna want and still be able to lock ben into a long term deal.
Whats your bright idea K, sign Faneca and Starx for huge money, work out Bens deal, and then what!?!?!?! Faneca is declining and his contract is up and he aint getting any younger or better!!! You can say what you want about Chris-K but he has been good enough to make this team for the past couple of years and played well in the abscence of faneca!! Fu*k it he cant be as bad as simmons. I would rather draft some young guns at tackle/C in the first 3 rounds. Sign Starx/ let Alan go to Ari. Move Colon to G where i think he can be a hell of alot better, and have Mahan, Colon and Chris Battle for the guard spots!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
Think about '07 camp when Faneca and Smith were the only two proven starters we had. Simmons was injury prone, Mahan was a free agent C moving to G and Starx was on the fence and was eventually benched!!! Our line was makeshift as hell last year with Faneca!!! Why not save some money and build a new line while ben and Willie are still young!!! This draft seems to be littered w/ good OL-men. I would look to the draft for replacements and start trying some of these young guys we have been carrying for what seems like ever, instead of using the same old faces!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Well what do you expect them to say??

Interviewer to Troy: What do you think about Alan Faneca leaving?

Troy: "he sucks get rid of his big dumb ***"

Now honestly, if the players didn't come to the defense of each other wouldn't you be just a tad bit worried about the locker room chemistry? The fact that these players stick together is a sign they believe in one another and there is a good vibe in the locker room. Nobody wants to see anybody leave but they know it's reality. Besides emotions were high after that game and players speak from the heart.

The Rooneys' and Tomlin will sign who they can for the money they want to spend regardless of what the players think. All of them wanted Cowher to stay and Whiz or Grimm to get the job the Rooney's went in another direction. The owners will listen to the players plead the case for another but they won't let it deter their overall plans.

To be honest I really don't care what Troy has say or thinks about Alan Faneca resigning with the team or not......Troy should be worried about himself and staying healthy....Maybe changing his personal training habits...His own training seems to be not working....lol He was a stiff this year.....So Troy do this team a favor and shut it....:lol: Lift some weights and get tough again.....Become the badass you once were...lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-08-2008, 06:50 PM
yeah but my point is the players are going to stick up for each other, it's what they do. It's what they should do. Even if they don't think a particular player has done well they certainly aren't going to tell the media. " oh well Cedric Wilson sucks he doesn't earn his paycheck" or "Faneca ain't worth 40 million so get rid of his ***" , "Reid can't do **** in the return game so we don't need him".

You see what I'm getting at here...the players go out and lay it all on the line each week so these guys need to stick together and when one of them may potentially leave they are going to still stick together. Even if that players does leave, the team will adjust but it's never easy. These guys are human beings and sometimes we as fans forget that because they get so much money and they play a game for living.

PsychoWard
01-08-2008, 06:50 PM
i think we would all love to see faneca resign!! as for clark haggins get rid of him thats what we drafted woodley for!

Troyisabeast_43
01-08-2008, 06:52 PM
I just dont see the Steelers resigning him. He is asking for to much money, and to be honest I dont see Alan taking a pay cut just to wear the black and gold. Sad to say those days are long gone. Its all about money now. Since nobody has come out and said that Alan is done in Pittsburgh, it may be that since negotiations were unsuccessful, both parties have agreed that Faneca should test the free agent waters. The reality of the situation is Big Red is getting too old to invest the money he will command on the open market.

Colbert has probably said - 'go out and get your best offer, then bring it back to us, and we'll see if we can match.' Its a common tactic if the player and team are miles apart in negotiations.I would like to have him back, but do you put all that money into a player on the decline, or one with potential to be a pro bowler. Tough decision, but it appears to be one the Steelers made because signing him now will cost them top dollar, and the Steelers don't pay top dollar to aging players. They let them go and move on. So far that strategy has been proven to be correct more than not. There's hope yet but its very slim at best.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Well I kind of like the idea of Faneca resigning and moving him to center...The reason why is since then the Steelers won't need to draft a center this year.....They could just focus on OT.......I really think this team needs to start looking to adding some serious young talent to the DL.....So if Faneca can be resigned and move to center then the Steelers could use that pick on a young DL....Just a thought...

But this team can not enter next year without a LT or a center.......I'm sorry I know Smith is good....But I'm tired of just having a good LT....I would like to see a potential franchise LT....I know most of the time those are found at the top of the draft.....But not always...There is a ton of OTs prospect in this draft and especially OTs that can LT....

BlitzburghRockCity
01-08-2008, 07:01 PM
A lot of this hinges on if we can resign Max. If we can do that then we can focus on a C and G in this draft to replace Alan and then look for a LT next year or who knows maybe we find a gem in FA. In the mean time Marvel can still play and Essex can back him up. We have options but so much of this is all hearsay until we see if they resign one of both of them. If they don't land either one we're going to be deeper trouble because then we'll need to really go out and find more players which puts even more pressure on this team to hit home runs in the draft.

Now if a franchise LT were to fall to us then we'd be stupid to not grab him but right now C is more a top priority.

SteelersWoman
01-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Does anyone think Alan would have to be double-teamed at center? Would be great to have someone like that...

Troyisabeast_43
01-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Well I kind of like the idea of Faneca resigning and moving him to center...The reason why is since then the Steelers won't need to draft a center this year.....They could just focus on OT.......I really think this team needs to start looking to adding some serious young talent to the DL.....So if Faneca can be resigned and move to center then the Steelers could use that pick on a young DL....Just a thought...

But this team can not enter next year without a LT or a center.......I'm sorry I know Smith is good....But I'm tired of just having a good LT....I would like to see a potential franchise LT....I know most of the time those are found at the top of the draft.....But not always...There is a ton of OTs prospect in this draft and especially OTs that can LT....

Center is job #1, although someone on this board mentioned to me that there are no decent C's coming out this yr or really in free agency. Might have to move current guys around. One thing is for sure, it CANNOT be Mahan. Center- It is a horrible weak center class, the only one that is close to a starter off of the bat is Steve Justice, who will be way over draft more then likely, he is a mid round 3 talent. This is not the draft to look at center as far as a plug and fix type of deal.

OT- This is the hot spot for the draft here, and the order of players is highly debated, Jeff Otah from Pitt is flying up peoples boards but he is just too big to play LT. Many draft boards look like this
1.Jake Long
2.Ryan Clady
3.Jeff Otah
4.Gosder Cherilous
5.Sam Baker

Whats that mean for the Steelers? Sam Baker could be there and be a steal for them in the first.

3. DE, its too early for me to give you an accurate rankings, and the Steelers wont get a top 5 DE, they will be looking at the top 15 guys for a sleeper. Chris Long is the stud DE in the draft by far, then everyone else highly argued, between Chris Ellis, Derek Harvey, Calias Campbell, etc.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-08-2008, 07:12 PM
If Alan would stay and play center for us we could concentrate on G and LT in the draft, assuming Starks sticks around. There's so many what if's that won't get figured out till we see who's willing to come back and play for us. Regardless of the starters though this team could be justified in spending no less than 3 picks in the draft on lineman and bringing in a couple FA lineman as well and just really having an all out war in camp to see who's going to step up and take the job.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2008, 07:15 PM
A lot of this hinges on if we can resign Max. If we can do that then we can focus on a C and G in this draft to replace Alan and then look for a LT next year or who knows maybe we find a gem in FA. In the mean time Marvel can still play and Essex can back him up. We have options but so much of this is all hearsay until we see if they resign one of both of them. If they don't land either one we're going to be deeper trouble because then we'll need to really go out and find more players which puts even more pressure on this team to hit home runs in the draft.

Now if a franchise LT were to fall to us then we'd be stupid to not grab him but right now C is more a top priority.

I disagree if this team wants a LT then this is the year to do it...I think there is about 5-6 legit LT prospects in this draft...That is if all the juniors declare...Which many of them will do....I know center is a huge need a I agree...But you can always find great value in the draft at OG or center.....Really the Steelers can wait until round 3 for a center....All the top LTs will be gone in the first two round easily.....All of them could also go in round one since OT is always high on teams drafts lists...

BlitzburghRockCity
01-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Good lineman in later rounds are hard to come by, if you don't grab them on day 1 they usually end up being training camp fodder. A LT and a C on day one and I would be happy as a pig in **** :lol: Mix in a DL in there or a WR and hell we'd have the makings of a monumental draft just on day 1 alone if they all panned out.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Center is job #1, although someone on this board mentioned to me that there are no decent C's coming out this yr or really in free agency. Might have to move current guys around. One thing is for sure, it CANNOT be Mahan. Center- It is a horrible weak center class, the only one that is close to a starter off of the bat is Steve Justice, who will be way over draft more then likely, he is a mid round 3 talent. This is not the draft to look at center as far as a plug and fix type of deal.

OT- This is the hot spot for the draft here, and the order of players is highly debated, Jeff Otah from Pitt is flying up peoples boards but he is just too big to play LT. Many draft boards look like this
1.Jake Long
2.Ryan Clady
3.Jeff Otah
4.Gosder Cherilous
5.Sam Baker

Whats that mean for the Steelers? Sam Baker could be there and be a steal for them in the first.

3. DE, its too early for me to give you an accurate rankings, and the Steelers wont get a top 5 DE, they will be looking at the top 15 guys for a sleeper. Chris Long is the stud DE in the draft by far, then everyone else highly argued, between Chris Ellis, Derek Harvey, Calias Campbell, etc.

I agree center is a huge need and this team can't have Mahan there next year....But there isn't a center I would draft until round 3 at the earliest....

I personally like Ryan Clady from Bosie State ......I like Sam Baker and if he there in the first round that would be a smart pick...Only knock on him is that he has had trouble in staying healthy.....I also like the OT from Vanderbilt......

[AutoMerged Post Below]

Good lineman in later rounds are hard to come by, if you don't grab them on day 1 they usually end up being training camp fodder. A LT and a C on day one and I would be happy as a pig in shiat :lol: Mix in a DL in there or a WR and hell we'd have the makings of a monumental draft just on day 1 alone if they all panned out.

Well my wants on the first day are...

LT-round 1

WR or DL-round 2

C-round 3

Troyisabeast_43
01-08-2008, 07:25 PM
I agree center is a huge need and this team can't have Mahan there next year....But there isn't a center I would draft until round 3 at the earliest....

I personally like Ryan Clady from Bosie State ......I like Sam Baker and if he there in the first round that would be a smart pick...Only knock on him is that he has had trouble in staying healthy.....I also like the OT from Vanderbilt......

[AutoMerged Post Below]

Well my wants on the first day are...

LT-round 1

WR or DL-round 2

C-round 3

Here's the prsopects that have most grabbed my attention as far as potential Steelers go and where I am targeting them. I've considered who's declared and who hasn't. I omitted top end 1st round players. Here is a pretty good list I just got from espn.com.

WR: Adarius Bowman 6'4 220 Oklahoma St (1st round)

Devin Thomas 6'2 215 Michigan St (2nd round)

Paul Hubbard 6'4 215 Wisconsin (4th round)

Jordy Nelson 6'3 215 Kansas St (4th round)

OT: Sam Baker 6'5 310 USC (1st round)

Gosder Cherilus 6'7 320 BC (1st round)

Chris Williams 6'6 320 Vanderbilt (1st round)

Tony Hills 6'6 305 Texas (1st round)

Heath Benedict 6'6 320 Newberry (3rd round)

Pedro Sosa 6'5 295 Rutgers (4th round)

OG: Oneil Cousins 6'4 305 UTEP (2nd round)

Eric Young 6'4 305 Tennessee (2nd round)

Jeremy Zuttah 6'4 295 Rutgers (4th round)

C: Nobody worth considering.

DE: Kentwan Balmer 6'5 285 UNC (1st round)

Frank Okam 6'5 320 Texas (1st round)

Dre Moore 6'4 310 Maryland (3rd round)

Kendall Langford 6'6 300 Hampton (3rd round)

Trevor Laws 6'1 295 Notre Da-me (3rd round)

Keilan Dykes 6'5 300 WVU (5th round)

Nick Hayden 6'5 300 Wisconsin (5th round)

Brian Johnston 6'5 280 Gardner-Weber (6th round)

DT: We're good here.

OLB: Quentin Groves 6'3 255 Auburn (2nd round)

Shawn Crable 6'5 245 Michigan (2nd round)

Tommy Blake 6'3 250 TCU (3rd round)

Bruce Davis 6'3 235 UCLA (3rd round)

Jonny Dingle 6'3 270 (4th round)

Rudy Hardy 6'2 270 Hampton (6th round)

ILB: Ali Highsmith 6'1 225 LSU (1st round)

Dan Connor 6'3 235 PSU (1st round)

Erin Henderson 6'3 245 Maryland (2nd round)

S: We're fine, depending if Ryan Clark can return.

CB: Tracy Porter 5'11 185 Indiani (2nd round)

Terrell Thomas 6'1 200 USC (2nd round)

Trae Williams 5'10 195 USF (2nd round)

Patrick Lee 6'0 195 Auburn (3rd round)

Dejuan Tribble 5'9 190 BC (3rd round)

Zach Bowman 6'2 200 Nebraska (4th round)

Stairwayto7
01-08-2008, 07:56 PM
As bad as the Oline played late in the season, imagine it without Faneca! I wonder if Ben will speak out at all?

yinzer
01-08-2008, 09:20 PM

anybody is better than Strahan. Anybody.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-08-2008, 09:38 PM
anybody is better than Strahan. Anybody.

Actually I think "Strahan" would be to differ with that assumption of his abilities, or lack thereof. :reddevil:

K Train
01-08-2008, 10:11 PM
theres as many tackles this year as there are WRs

Long
Gandy
Cherilus
Otah
Oher
Baker
Hills
Williams

I like Hills in the second, i think he'll be an awesome pro
i think with the right shifting around and adding just one or to guys they could be dominate. I dont care if our new guy plays RT, if hes an absolutely dominate RT our whole line will get better. I would like to see him turn out to be a badass LT but who knows, theres so many scenerios that could happen, we just need that one dominating guy that will make everyone better

TampaSteelGirl
01-08-2008, 10:13 PM
I'd love to see Faneca stay!!! :tt02:
Don't care much for Starks but definately want to get Faneca to stay! :yellowthumb:

K Train
01-08-2008, 10:14 PM
i would rather keep starks...faneca is a baby and was pushed around alot this year, he may be getting over the hill and reaching bum status...i think he would be badass at center though

BlitzburghRockCity
01-08-2008, 10:18 PM
There's going to be a run on Tackles this year, you can bet on that. So many teams looking to improve their running game and keep their QB's upright will follow suit from what Cleveland did last year so if we're going to get one we better do it in a year where the draft is deep.

steelersgal86
01-09-2008, 06:18 AM
i think we would all love to see faneca resign!! as for clark haggins get rid of him thats what we drafted woodley for!

:iagree: I would like to see Faneca stay

LatrobePA
01-09-2008, 09:54 AM
I'd like a new center....Most of the push came right up the middle...

black an gold 4 life
01-09-2008, 11:05 AM
U ALL WASN'T WATCHING FANCEA AN MAHAN THIS YEAR WERE U? FANCEA PLAYED NOT 2 GET HURT THAT MEANS HE IS AN SELFISH:cursin:MAHAN JUST PLAIN AN SIMPLE STUNK WERE N TROUBLE ................

Prosdo
01-09-2008, 08:58 PM
I would like to see Faneca stay, but not for some crazy amount for a player at the end of their career. I'm sure they can tie Starks up.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-10-2008, 09:51 AM
U ALL WASN'T WATCHING FANCEA AN MAHAN THIS YEAR WERE U? FANCEA PLAYED NOT 2 GET HURT THAT MEANS HE IS AN SELFISH:cursin:MAHAN JUST PLAIN AN SIMPLE STUNK WERE N TROUBLE ................

You apparently weren't watching him this whole year either. He wasn't playing to not get hurt, nobody does that in a contract year. They go full bore because they want the best deal possible. Faneca may have been a bit distracted this year or maybe he wasn't but regardless the dude played every game like always. He was hampered by **** poor play at Center and then the injuries at LT didn't help either. He may not be quite the same as he was when he was younger but he's still an anchor and a top G in the league.

BBG7
01-10-2008, 11:02 AM
You apparently weren't watching him this whole year either. He wasn't playing to not get hurt, nobody does that in a contract year. They go full bore because they want the best deal possible. Faneca may have been a bit distracted this year or maybe he wasn't but regardless the dude played every game like always. He was hampered by **** poor play at Center and then the injuries at LT didn't help either. He may not be quite the same as he was when he was younger but he's still an anchor and a top G in the league.

I agree Top...Alan played every game like a professional. I had some questions about that last offseason (I'm sure some remember my feelings about the situation) but after watching him, those questions were put aside. I think we need to resign him, the only problem is, I still don't think he's going to get the money he wants and from listening to his interviews this season, he's not going to take a home town discount like some have said he might. I do hope I'm wrong though!

K Train
01-10-2008, 05:20 PM
he didnt play not to get hurt, you might get pissy about contracts but 90% of the time that doesnt matter on game day...he just got pushed around alot this year

BlitzburghRockCity
02-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Just watching NFLN at the pro bowl and Adam Schefter was was interviewing Faneca basically talking about what it's like to be a FA after all these years of knowing you'd still be a Steeler the following year. He definitely seems to feel he's not coming back and he's ready to test the FA waters citing the big deals by Hutchinson and others in the last couple years. He didn't say anything about whether he's talked to the Steelers anymore since the season was over so at this point we still don't know if any more talks will be held.

DIESELMAN
02-08-2008, 02:23 AM
I would like to see Faneca stay, but not for some crazy amount for a player at the end of their career.

I feel the same way. He's pretty much had an injury free career so far, I still say hes got at least 3 good years left in him if not maybe a few more after that. Yeah he had some sub par performances but how much of his play can be contributed to playing next to Mahan all year. Plus throw in the line shuffling, no one really had time to gel, with Mahan getting run over damn near every play, Faneca was more then likely trying to do his job and help Mahan all at the same time.

MDSteel15
02-09-2008, 02:44 AM
I would love for Faneca to stay home. May want too much money though. He wasn't off this year, he was covering Mahan's *** and that made it look as if Alan was out of possition or getting pushed around. Mahan is a natural gaurd that the FO thought they could make into a center, bad move... Show him the door, re-sign Alan and draft a NATURAL center :yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Im going to miss Big Red out there for us, I can still remember the day he was drafted and I think I still have the Steelers digest issue somewhere that has him on the cover. I know he feels he deserves a lot of money, and he probably does, but if the Rooney's are going to give him atleast fair market value I wish he would stay. We really don't know what he was offered since the started and then broke off.