PDA

View Full Version : Santanio Holmes and what should be done at receiver in the offseason...

Troyisabeast_43
01-07-2008, 04:13 PM
I was very impressed with his play this year. Last year if you remember we had to hold our breath every time he had the ball wondering if he was going to fumble it. I think he is showing he might turn out to be a great receiver for us. This year we had to hold our breath every time the special team were on the field. He is reminding me more and more of Hines with speed. He's becoming a pro @ turning those short slants into 40+ yard touchdowns.

He is becaming one of the top receivers in the league slowly but surely speaking of Holmes and things are only going to get better with him. We've got a nice set of receivers. I don't mind Wilson, and Washington either. I think Nate will continue to get better. I especially agree about us needing a tall receiver 6'4' 6'5' with some speed. If you remember when we had Plaxico, (I still salivate when I see him in the giants uniform) he and Ben where quickly becoming a lethal tandem until Plax was snatched away from him. I still don't think Ben has quite emotionally recovered from that. I sure hope we get a tall receiver who can go deep in the draft. Or sign Bryant Johnson, or trade for Brandon Marshall, who I hear is also making noise to get out of Denver. I don't think there is enough room in Denver for Marshall and Javon Walker. I'd rather have Marshall if we could get him for a reasonable trade offer.

Koopa
01-07-2008, 04:16 PM
the only time i held my breath last year was when he was punt returning, i never feared he would fumble when he was on offense, you could tell for the start we finally found our number 1 wr......lets face, ward will always be a number 2, and nothing wrong with that, he's a great number 2, but if holmes can stay healthy and he stays here past his rookie contract he's gonna smash every steelers wr record and we'll be saying ward who in years to come..........

LatrobePA
01-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Keep his pants zipped up!!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Holmes = Big Plays. That's all we need to know. He is the real deal and delivers when called upon. He's our stretch the field guy and the one who is going to only get better and better. The slant route that he runs is just money, it's become a staple in our offense since he has been able to do so well with it in the last couple years.

Wilson needs to go, he makes too much money for someone who hasn't been able to crack the lineup for more playing time. If he was worth the dough he's making he'd have beaten out Nate this year and that didn't happen.

SteelerFan87
01-07-2008, 05:16 PM
I would really like to see some more quick slants from Holmes next year. The guy has great speed and we've all seen him take those slants to the house on many occasions. Plus it helps Ben get rid of the ball quicker, so he's not sitting back there behind our swiss cheese line too long.

Stlrs4Life
01-07-2008, 05:25 PM
I really like him aslso. He will only get better every year.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Been screaming for more quick slants all year...Really the quick slant should be a staple of this offense...As for Holmes I wanted the Steelers to draft and him was glad they did....He is among the best young WRs in the NFL today and is only entering his third year....

AZ_Steeler
01-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Holmes should be around for along time to come especially seeing how Ward is starting to rub off on him with blocking down field and laying someone on their back.

Holmes took huge strides this year aside from the injuries and is fitting in quite nicely :yellowthumb:

MDSteel15
01-07-2008, 07:09 PM
We need a WR in the mold of Hines that can do what he does. Then next year go after my boy Mario Manningham to spread the O. I would get wood seeing Holmes on slants, Hines working the yardage and Mario streaking downfield to really open this thing up! Nate doesn't scare defenses, I think that's why they can keep 1on1 with him when he's out there.

yinzer
01-07-2008, 07:42 PM
santonio is a stud. there needs to be more shots taken down field. that will come with a better o line. hopefully...

BlitzburghRockCity
01-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Holmes should be around for along time to come especially seeing how Ward is starting to rub off on him with blocking down field and laying someone on their back.

Holmes took huge strides this year aside from the injuries and is fitting in quite nicely :yellowthumb:

The more guys we can get in here to have Hines be a mentor too, the better off we'll be. There is no better role model to work with in the NFL than the most complete WR in the game, and Holmes for sure has benefited as has Nate too.

DIESELMAN
01-07-2008, 09:05 PM
The more guys we can get in here to have Hines be a mentor too, the better off we'll be. There is no better role model to work with in the NFL than the most complete WR in the game, and Holmes for sure has benefited as has Nate too.
:plus1: Exactly, his knowledge of route running and especially how to block in the run game is irreplaceable.

Been screaming for more quick slants all year...Really the quick slant should be a staple of this offense...As for Holmes I wanted the Steelers to draft and him was glad they did....He is among the best young WRs in the NFL today and is only entering his third year....

Holmes needs to keep working hard, if he keeps doing that, the sky is the limit. I read somewhere that 1 of Ben's INT's was due to Holmes running a soft slant, the one Mathis returned for a TD, Ward came over after that and told him what he did wrong. The slant Holmes ran in the 4th Q was hard and he turned it into a TD. That just shows, he can learn from his mistakes and keep getting better. :bigthumb:

K Train
01-07-2008, 10:29 PM
michigan fans are funny lol

Holmes is a badass and i knew he would be, hes our #1 guy, ward played alot of slot WR and dominated this year....holmes game mirrors ward, he blocks, he goes up for the ball and hes an all around beast, holmes is a more natural WR and will get better

Prosdo
01-08-2008, 02:19 AM
Santonio had a great year. I am excited to see his continued progression next year. I think the WR corps need some work though. Ward will be retiring in the next couple of seasons. Holmes will be great for us, but the supporting cast of WR's needs to be brought in. Wilson I am not convinced with. Nate started stepping up, but he needs to stay consistent. I think Willie Reid is pretty much gone.

SteelersWoman
01-08-2008, 06:16 PM
we'll be saying ward who in years to come..........

Koopa--can NOT believe you actually said that :eyecrazy:

I don't believe that will EVer happen--we'll ALways remember Hines! :yesnod:

Stairwayto7
01-08-2008, 07:11 PM
We have other needs, so we will have to have a descent Free Agency, something Cowher rarely did! We always wait until all the studs are taken!

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2008, 07:19 PM
We need a WR in the mold of Hines that can do what he does. Then next year go after my boy Mario Manningham to spread the O. I would get wood seeing Holmes on slants, Hines working the yardage and Mario streaking downfield to really open this thing up! Nate doesn't scare defenses, I think that's why they can keep 1on1 with him when he's out there.

I'm a Michigan fan also....I like Manningham....But he is good but not great...I have seen better WRs at Michigan throughout the years....He isn't in Braylon Edwards class as WRs from Michigan....I also thought Amani Toomer was bad *** at Michigan.....Toomer might not have had a super star NFL career but he has had a very productive and long career....Of course there was Desmond Howard...He flamed out as an NFL WR but he was great return man....But I think those three were better WRs at Michigan then Mario Manningham....I'm not saying Mario Manningham won't be great at the next level.....I just have seen some better WRs at Michigan then him.....

steelcurtain09
01-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Ward will be retiring in the next couple of seasons.
just in time for the Steelers to draft Kenny Tate.
he is 6'5", runs a 4.4 40, has great catching ability (both circus and routine), and he goes to my school. hes a senior here now and if Ward retires in four years he would be an awesome replacement. hes definitely goin to the NFL and i would love to see him in a Steelers uni

MDSteel15
01-10-2008, 01:22 AM
I'm a Michigan fan also....I like Manningham....But he is good but not great...I have seen better WRs at Michigan throughout the years....He isn't in Braylon Edwards class as WRs from Michigan....I also thought Amani Toomer was bad *** at Michigan.....Toomer might not have had a super star NFL career but he has had a very productive and long career....Of course there was Desmond Howard...He flamed out as an NFL WR but he was great return man....But I think those three were better WRs at Michigan then Mario Manningham....I'm not saying Mario Manningham won't be great at the next level.....I just have seen some better WRs at Michigan then him.....

Your right, he's not in Braylon's class, he's better!!! Just for the fact that he is an excellent PR and a TEAM player! Braylon is all about Braylon.. And Mario has good hands and is a heck of a lot better than Nate. Oh, and he just changed his mind along with Arrington, both are coming out!

Koopa
01-10-2008, 01:31 AM
Your right, he's not in Braylon's class, he's better!!! Just for the fact that he is an excellent PR and a TEAM player! Braylon is all about Braylon.. And Mario has good hands and is a heck of a lot better than Nate. Oh, and he just changed his mind along with Arrington, both are coming out!

i saw on pti where he skipped the team meeting, and Rodriguez pretty much said they can go suck on a dick and fail in the nfl for leaving early :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-10-2008, 01:35 AM

I don't know what Braylon Edwards you watched at Michigan?....The guy I remember was a beast at Michigan and has continued that to the NFL....He only had 16 TD receptions for the Browns this year....Sorry Mario couldn't carry Braylon's jock....I like Manningham but I have seen better Michigan WRs.....Now I'm not saying Manningham is going to suck in the NFL.....I think he has the potential to be good...But I'm just going by his Michigan career so far....In my opinion both Edwards and Toomer were better WRs in their days at Michigan then Manningham....