PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben takes blame for Steelers' wild-card loss

BlitzburghRockCity
01-07-2008, 01:16 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_546175.html

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, January 7, 2008

A pass rush made all the more ferocious by numerous breakdowns along the Steelers' offensive line forced Ben Roethlisberger to step up into the pocket time and time again Saturday night.

The quarterback stepped up one more time after the Steelers' numbing 31-29 loss to the Jaguars in an AFC wild-card game at Heinz Field.

"I'm ashamed of the way I played," Roethlisberger said. "I told the guys 'I apologize,' and it's unfortunate it had to end this way."

It was a bitter end to the Steelers' season, Mike Tomlin's first one as a head coach.

The Steelers wiped out an 18-point deficit in the fourth quarter at a frenzied Heinz Field only to watch the Jaguars pull out the victory after the less-celebrated quarterback in the game, David Garrard, made the biggest play in the wild, back-and-forth affair.

Roethlisberger threw for almost 200 yards in the second half and directed three drives that resulted in touchdowns.

But after the loss, he couldn't shake the three interceptions he threw in the first half. Those miscues helped Jacksonville build a 21-7 halftime lead, and the Steelers ultimately couldn't overcome them.

"I take the heat for that," said Roethlisberger, who set playoff career highs for passing yards (337) and completions (29) but also tied his postseason high with the three interceptions. He lost a fumble as well. "I dug us a hole. We got out of the hole a little deep, but it was too deep."

Steelers nemesis Rashean Mathis helped put Roethlisberger and the Steelers in that hole.

He intercepted Roethlisberger twice in the second quarter, returning one of them 63 yards for a touchdown.

Mathis, who beat the Steelers in 2005 when he returned a Tommy Maddox interception for a touchdown in overtime of a regular-season game, took advantage of throws that were made into heavy coverage.

The other interception, which prevented the Steelers from getting at least a field goal before halftime, came when Roethlisberger threw the ball right to Jacksonville defensive tackle Derek Landri on a middle screen.

"It's frustrating because only one of the interceptions was a bad one," said Roethlisberger, who will play in his first Pro Bowl next month. "The others were just great plays on their part. It's hard to sit here and say 'Take care of the ball,' 'Make better decisions,' because I felt like the decision-making was pretty good."

The one decision regarding Roethlisberger that was most open to second-guessing came near the end of the game.

With the Steelers trying to protect a one-point lead and just under three minutes left, they called a running play for Roethlisberger on third-and-6.

He gained just one yard, forcing a punt that gave the Jaguars excellent field position, and Garrard's 32-yard run on a fourth-down play set up Josh Scobee's game-winning field goal.

Said Tomlin on the Steelers' third-down call, "That was something we worked on all week and we felt good about it. We actually had the look and we didn't execute it. Good job by them."

And a long offseason for the Steelers.

floodcitygirl
01-07-2008, 01:21 AM
:thud:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-07-2008, 01:31 AM
Well I'm not shocked Ben took the blame....He always does after a loss.....He played terrible in the first half but was great in the second half.....Plus he had a great season...So he shouldn't beat himself up to bad...I'm glad he does feel the way he does though...It probably will motivate him to be even better in 2008....The sky is the limit for this young man and I'm glad he is on our team.....

Koopa
01-07-2008, 01:34 AM
Well I'm not shocked Ben took the blame....He always does after a loss.....He played terrible in the first half but was great in the second half.....Plus he had a great season...So he shouldn't beat himself up to bad...I'm glad he does feel the way he does though...It probably will motivate him to be even better in 2008....The sky is the limit for this young man and I'm glad he is on our team.....

get this dude an oline and 40+ tds won't be out of the question....... damn i hate mahan lol

floodcitygirl
01-07-2008, 01:38 AM
Well I'm not shocked Ben took the blame....He always does after a loss.....He played terrible in the first half but was great in the second half.....Plus he had a great season...So he shouldn't beat himself up to bad...I'm glad he does feel the way he does though...It probably will motivate him to be even better in 2008....The sky is the limit for this young man and I'm glad he is on our team.....You put it alot better than me....but still....:thud:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-07-2008, 01:44 AM
get this dude an oline and 40+ tds won't be out of the question....... damn i hate mahan lol

I already called 40 passing TDs for Ben next year if he gets a better OL....:lol: The guy is the perfect QB for this team...

ARKIESTEEL
01-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Ben can blame hisself if he wants........how many points would we have scored without him. Blame the need to pass the ball cause you cant run if there is a blame needed. Ward Miller Holmes and Ben played their guts out. I cant blame any of these guys for the loss. Ben should have been passing on that next to last drive cause we damn sure couldnt run the ball. Blame the o line, blame the kick off guys, blame the refs, Blame the coaches , but dont balme Ben!!

SteelersWoman
01-07-2008, 08:19 AM
I'd have been shocked if Ben HADN'T taken the blame.

Agree with everyone who says that we'd have not even been IN that game in the second half had it not been for Ben (and Hines, Santonio, and Heath).

I didn't put the blame on Ben for that loss for a second--too much else going wrong in that game to put the blame any one place.

And I'll take that 40+ TD guarantee for next season B@G --you called '07 pretty darn good :D

BlitzburghRockCity
01-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Ben is just that kind of guy, he'll take the blame when we lose and give the credit to everyone else when we win. I wasn't shocked at all when he took the rap for this loss. He could easily justify being pissed off at how many times he's been sacked the last 2 years and how often he's had to scramble out of trouble.

If this team doesn't get him some consistent blocking up front they are completely oblivious.

steel-tex
01-07-2008, 09:09 AM
agree 100% what a concept an o-line what are they thinking.

TEEMONT
01-07-2008, 09:55 AM
I'm actually surprised he didn't say anything about his bum ankle being a factor. He may take the blame for losses, but he seems to deflect it to the fact that he has injuries. I'm glad he took the blame, b/c this one is on him, although a rep from the O-line needs to accept some blame also.

GoBenGo
01-07-2008, 09:59 AM
well said...well said...i could not agree more...give him a shot with a decent o line...

black an gold 4 life
01-07-2008, 10:09 AM
WELL BEN SHOULD OF TOOK THE BLAME, :cursin:HE'S BEEN HERE 4 YEARS NOW AN HE NEEDS 2 MAKE BETTER DECISIONS WITH THE BALL, HE STILL THROWS N DOUBLE COVERAGE:cursin:MEMO 2 BEN ADD SOME CURLS 2 UR WEIGHT LIFTING REGIMINE:cursin: HE'S ABOUT 2 ABOUT 2 B OUR FRANCHISE QB BUT HE SCARES ME, WHY DO U THINK THEY CA;LLED AN QB RUN ON 3RD AN 6 INSTEAD OF KETTING BEN PASS 4 AN 1ST:scratch:BECAUSE THEY DON'T TOTALLY TRUST BEN EITHER..................HAD HE TAKEN BETTER CARE OF THE BALL THIS YEAR HE WOULD OF HAD SINGLE DIGITS INT NUMBERS, HE HAS THE POTENTIAL 2 B AN GREAT QB........................BUT HE NEEDS 2 GROW UP:cursin: COME ON BEN GET IT 2 GETHER WE WILL ONLY GO AS FAR AS U TAKE US:cursin:......................................

TEEMONT
01-07-2008, 10:22 AM
WELL BEN SHOULD OF TOOK THE BLAME, :cursin:HE'S BEEN HERE 4 YEARS NOW AN HE NEEDS 2 MAKE BETTER DECISIONS WITH THE BALL, HE STILL THROWS N DOUBLE COVERAGE:cursin:MEMO 2 BEN ADD SOME CURLS 2 UR WEIGHT LIFTING REGIMINE:cursin: HE'S ABOUT 2 ABOUT 2 B OUR FRANCHISE QB BUT HE SCARES ME, WHY DO U THINK THEY CA;LLED AN QB RUN ON 3RD AN 6 INSTEAD OF KETTING BEN PASS 4 AN 1ST:scratch:BECAUSE THEY DON'T TOTALLY TRUST BEN EITHER..................HAD HE TAKEN BETTER CARE OF THE BALL THIS YEAR HE WOULD OF HAD SINGLE DIGITS INT NUMBERS, HE HAS THE POTENTIAL 2 B AN GREAT QB........................BUT HE NEEDS 2 GROW UP:cursin: COME ON BEN GET IT 2 GETHER WE WILL ONLY GO AS FAR AS U TAKE US:cursin:......................................

woah there mr. caps....calm down.

always a pleasure to read your posts. Remember, you're not being charged by the letter here, you can type out complete words.

AZ_Steeler
01-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Ben is a class act, he wants to be the leader and he desperately wants the others to see him that way as well. Ben can't take all the blame though.. when he's beeing forced out of the pocket and trying to make things happen, and then getting his number called on third and whatever because nobody can run the ball. I personally feel Ben redeemed himself in the second half. Yes he was probably the reason for the deficit but he did everything he could in the second half to help try and forget about the first half.

Stairwayto7
01-07-2008, 10:57 AM
I already called 40 passing TDs for Ben next year if he gets a better OL....:lol: The guy is the perfect QB for this team...

Could have said it better myself!

TampaSteelGirl
01-07-2008, 12:19 PM
He definately should NOT take all the blame. Yes the interceptions were bad however, the special teams killed us and some bad play calling. We would have never been able to come back without Ben. I thought he did a great job minus the few INT's but he is not at fault for this loss. Always being the man stepping up and taking the blame. I hope the guys all told him it's not his responsibility to take the blame for this loss. It was a team effort loss. He's a great QB and he's going to get even better! Hang in there Ben!!! We have alot of faith in you!! :tt02:

yinzer
01-07-2008, 07:27 PM
that was big of ben to say that but if he gets an o line like the pats have, he'll blow gaydee out of the water.:tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-07-2008, 07:47 PM

My ears !!!!

Ben is a gunslinger, he's going to throw into double coverage, that's just his mentality. He'll try anything to make a play and he's never short on confidence. I'll take the few pics that Ben had this year to his 30+ TD's any day. Ben will always have ways to improve, hell even Brett Favre admits he's not perfect after all this time and he's got the same mentality at QB that Ben does. If Ben "didn't have it together" he wouldn't have had the best year of any Steelers QB in team history.

Silverback 92
01-07-2008, 08:07 PM
hard to win after 3 ints. but he wasnt the only guy out there making mistakes