PDA

View Full Version : ICS's Player Report Card

Iron City South
01-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Tough day. Didn't feel like doing much of anything. Funny, I knew it was coming, but I'm still pissed. Probably becasue we awoke from our lathargic sleep and decided to make a game of it. Oh well, the ending is what I expected and it's definitely better than it happened sooner rather than later.

Anyhow, here's my season ending report card for each player.

Charlie Batch - C - Didn't see him offer too much. Could be regressing.
Tyrone Carter - C+. Makes the most of his small size and limited athletic ability. Not sure what happened against the Jags.
Ryan Clark - B-. We missed him more than most thought when he went down.
Ricardo Colclough - F. See ya.
Willie Colon - C. Hope for the future? Still in a learning mode.
Marquis Cooper - F - All I know is he blew the JAX return. Bum status
Najeh Davenport - B-. Played like a backup RB. Stepped up big in some games. Can still contribute in the role that suits him best ...3rd down back.
Carey Davis - D. Unimpressive.
Nick Eason - D. Didn't hear his name all year.
Trai Essex - C. Not a starter but can provide depth. Did a nice job yesterday.
Alan Faneca - C+, Would be nice to keep him, but not at $9M per year. See ya!
James Farrior - C+. A little slow, but is still a good tackler. Still has a few years left in 'em.
Larry Foote - C-. Slow and weak.
William Gay - C. Did very little after a promising preseason.
Clark Haggans - D. Continued our proud tradition of lazy OLB's. Gildon in his later years comes to mind.
Casey Hampton - C-. The penguin needs to lose some weight. Casey, nobody is double teaming you anymore and you're still not doing anything!
Arnold Harrison - Inc.
James Harrison - A. Clearly our D-MVP.
Chris Hoke - C-. Too little impact.
Santonio Holmes - A. Legit deep threat, and he's only going to get better.
Brett Keisel - D, as in Did Nothing. Needs to play ST's and be a situational pass rusher only.
Chris Kemoeatu - Inc.
Travis Kirschke - F. Bum status ....
Dan Kreider - Inc, because he was too good for Arians' offense. One of Arians bigger mistakes was not to start Danny.
Clint Kriewaldt - C. (yawn, another "Average Joe")
Sean Mahan - D. This guy is a back-up. I don't care how you slice it.
Bryant McFadden - C-. So good his rookie year... what happened?
Heath Miller - A. Any other team would throw 10 balls a game at this guy.
Willie Parker - B+. Led league in rushing up till week 16, but YPC too low.
Marvin Phillip - F. Bum status ...
Troy Polamalu - D. The fact that this low-impact player made the Pro Bowl serves as proof the media really doesn't bother to watch the sport they cover. Needs to come in next year healthy and 10 lbs. heavier in muscle.
Jeff Reed - A. Automatic on field goals and improved kickoffs.
Willie Reid - F--. Clearly turning out to be an epic bust. Bum status ...
Ben Roethlisberger - A+. A truly fantastic season, 2nd to Brady in Rating. I'll take whatever bad that comes with his good anyday.
Allen Rossum - C-. Returned a kick for a TD early, then decided he was done getting positive yards for the year. No drops saves him from "D" status.
Gary Russell - C - Not really impressed which is a shame. I had hopes for him. He got totally blown up yesterday on that ST's return for a TD.
Daniel Sepulveda - D. Hasn't justified a 6th round pick yet, let alone a 4th AND a 6th.
Kendall Simmons - D is for Diabetes. It's also for subpar play.
Aaron Smith - A. True value wasn't realized by most until he got hurt.
Anthony Smith - D. I have hope for this guy for the future, but he needs a LOT of work.
Marvel Smith - D.
Matt Spaeth - B. Solid rookie campaign.
Brian St. Pierre - Inc. Why do we even keep this guy around?
Darnell Stapleton - Inc. Who?
Max Starks - C. It seems to me that his future is on the left side, not the right. I'd try to re-sign him. We need him.
Ike Taylor - B. He got burnt some, but all corners do. Pretty good season overall.
Lawrence Timmons - F. I expect more from the 15th overall pick than an occasional ST tackle.
Deshea Townsend - A (given his age, he played about as well as could have been expected)
Jerame Tuman - C-. Should have been cut about 4 years ago.
Hines Ward - A+. Always, always shows up when it counts. Some subpar games can be attributed to injury.
Greg Warren - C.
Nate Washington - B. A rare bright surprise for the team...
Cedrick Wilson - F. ...and then we have the flip side of it.
LaMarr Woodley - B+. We'll get a chance to see what he can do as a starter this year.

Dick Lebeau - B. I refuse to believe a guy involved in football for 60 years forgot it overnight. Also can't justify a grade below 'B' for the #1 ranked defense. I think that we just didn't have the players to implement his style of system, and he was unable to adjust.
Coach Tomlin - C. An average grade for an average coach leading an average team to an average record. Average.
Legishisky - F. Duh.
Bruce Arians - D Ironically, I thought his playcalling improved until the egg I watched him lay last night. I don't like this guy. I think he's busy playing checkers when every other talented OC in the league is playing chess.

Stairwayto7
01-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Good! But my only arguments would be!

Batch - B I thought he played well when called upon! Sitting on the bench that long, he was bound to be rusty!

Haggans F- Didnt deserve your D, If Woodley would have been healthy, Haggans would have sat long ago!

Parker C+, Lead the league in yards and carries. I like him just not in love with his style of running!

Sepulveda A when we didnt need it! If we needed a good boot F-!

Iron City South
01-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Good! But my only arguments would be!

Batch - B I thought he played well when called upon! Sitting on the bench that long, he was bound to be rusty!

Haggans F- Didnt deserve your D, If Woodley would have been healthy, Haggans would have sat long ago!

Parker C+, Lead the league in yards and carries. I like him just not in love with his style of running!

Sepulveda A when we didnt need it! If we needed a good boot F-!

Fair enough. Not much to argue here other than to say I can't offer-up the excuse of Batch being rusty because that's the nature of the beat with being the 2nd string QB ..... comes with the territory. His responsibility is to step up and be sharp when called upon.

DIESELMAN
01-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Can't disagree with any of that, we definitely have excess baggage that needs to be dropped ASAP!!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Overall I like your analysis of players.

Sepulveda A when we didnt need it! If we needed a good boot F-! - Sep had a really solid year and was worth every penny of that 4th round draft pick. He will only get better but being a rookie I think he may have felt the pressure alittle bit when we needed a long punt and he sometimes didn't deliver but he still gets an A in my book.

Carey Davis - D. Unimpressive. - I would agree up until the Rams game when he played better and I think Jags game yesterday even though we didn't run the ball well he showed some versatility in the receiving game and I saw him make several key blocks to save Ben's ***. I'd give him a C+.

Anthony Smith - D. I have hope for this guy for the future, but he needs a LOT of work. I think Smith deserves a B-, he was really good right up until the Pats game and then he just didn't hold it together. He made a lot of good plays for us this year but he also showed his age and that he needs to grow up on the field more. I could see a C+ also here.

Koopa
01-06-2008, 08:25 PM
i disagree with the grade for d-sep, he was money with inside the 20

and i disagree with timmons, he did recover a fumble, he killed ricky williams......and what do you expect?? the dude he was backing up is starting in this years pro bowl hard to do anything other then make special team tackles

i agree with willie ried, but lmao @ epic bust, he was a ****ing third round pick, only first and second rounders deserve a bust tag, third and on just go in the oh well pile lol

Black@Gold Forever32
01-06-2008, 08:28 PM
3rd rounds go to the oh well pile?....lol The first three rounds is were you mainly build your team through......lol Timmons recovered a fumble and killed Ricky Williams so lets give him a pass...lol Ok whatever....Sorry but at the 15th overall pick I expected more then a fumble recovery and him stepping on Ricky Williams...lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2008, 08:30 PM
That's a good point Koop, I didn't realize the grade for Timmons. Considering he missed the entire offseason of workouts, most of training camp and only got to play on ST which was horrendous to begin with I think I would tend to give him a C simply because he just didn't get to play much. Woodley jumped ahead of him because of staying healthy and getting more time on the field.

Wood is going to be really wicked next year, you can just see the power he plays with on the sacks he got and his relentless motor.

I do expect more from 3rd picks, anybody on day 1 should be a contributor in a big way on the team. Reid has been terrible. Granted he missed a lot of time with his foot injury but still the guy has done nothing with the chances he's gotten since then. Perhaps the ST horrific play has something to do with it but nobody makes you fumble, you do that on your own because you don't take care of the ball.

Koopa
01-06-2008, 08:30 PM
3rd rounds go to the oh well pile?....lol The first three rounds is were you mainly build your team through......lol Timmons recovered a fumble and killed Ricky Williams so lets give him a pass...lol Ok whatever....Sorry but at the 15th overall pick I expected more then a fumble recovery and him stepping on Ricky Williams...lol

yeah but he was one of 2 third rounders, anthony smith is the one that will do good.....plus it was cowher drafting so you get those oh well guys lol

Black@Gold Forever32
01-06-2008, 08:40 PM
yeah but he was one of 2 third rounders, anthony smith is the one that will do good.....plus it was cowher drafting so you get those oh well guys lol

Smith has the potential to be a very good safety....I just hope he puts this season behind....With Cowher and Colbert picking so poor in the later round of the draft lately has put added pressure on the Steelers to have a great draft this year.....Which they can't afford to miss on any pick really since depth is lacking......I know its crazy to expect them to hit on all picks but this team needs a great draft in the worst way....Plus it would be nice for the Rooney's to bring in some good FAs....Thats a pipe dream though...

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2008, 09:05 PM
I think we need to hit a home run on atleast the picks through the first 5 rounds. Anything after that if they don't make the team I won't be as upset but if our early day 2 picks don't pan out we'll be in trouble again.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-06-2008, 09:08 PM
I think we need to hit a home run on atleast the picks through the first 5 rounds. Anything after that if they don't make the team I won't be as upset but if our early day 2 picks don't pan out we'll be in trouble again.

Well we only have six picks as of right now due to the Rossum trade...I think we gave up a 6th for him.....

yinzer
01-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Smith has the potential to be a very good safety....I just hope he puts this season behind....With Cowher and Colbert picking so poor in the later round of the draft lately has put added pressure on the Steelers to have a great draft this year.....Which they can't afford to miss on any pick really since depth is lacking......I know its crazy to expect them to hit on all picks but this team needs a great draft in the worst way....Plus it would be nice for the Rooney's to bring in some good FAs....Thats a pipe dream though...

o line, o line, o line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DIESELMAN
01-06-2008, 10:46 PM
We need to hit a grand slam on both days, we're behind the competition.

K Train
01-06-2008, 11:19 PM
We need to hit a grand slam on both days, we're behind the competition.

take it easy....were not a terrible team, it could be alot worse.

little to critical of some guys ICS...based on the last few games alone i disagree with alot of them

Black@Gold Forever32
01-06-2008, 11:19 PM
o line, o line, o line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well no ****......Thank You Capt obvious

K Train
01-06-2008, 11:28 PM
timmons played well when given the chance, he wasnt given many chances but he did produce and showed some great instincts on the field.

and would you rather have gardocki? sep was a huge improvement to a sorry ST unit...our punt coverage was decent all year long.

and William Gay? what did you expect him to do? how is he a disappointment he didnt play at all and was a terror on ST....all that is based on is when the ball hit him against st louis which wasnt even his fault

and hop off kreiders dick

DIESELMAN
01-07-2008, 12:39 AM
take it easy....were not a terrible team, it could be alot worse.
I didn't say we were terrible, but when you factor in our lack of quality depth at positions, which is a result of subpar day 2 picks over the last few years....we are behind the competition. The injuries late in the season proved that. Plugging holes with warm bodies doesn't cut it, thats why our D got ran over the last few games. Take it easy? I ain't riled up.....yet.

K Train
01-07-2008, 12:59 AM
just think....we could be the bengals.

ok thats enough, stop thinking it lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-07-2008, 12:59 AM
The problem is that key positions on the line where everybody relies on each other; if one of them screws up it makes everybody else look bad. When they all play in unison the whole unit looks good. Changes will need to be made on the line at Center, probably LT and LG so there will be new faces there which could be just the ticket this team needs but regardless we need to get some good influx of new blood in the backup positions too especially on the DL and OL.

I like Gay's upside, the guy made plays when called upon this year which wasn't much but at the very worst he was one of the better ST guys we had.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-07-2008, 01:06 AM

ok thats enough, stop thinking it lol

Come on Train the expectations for Bengals fans and Steelers fans are way different....Bengals fans wet the bed and rub one off if they win the division or if Carson Palmer wins Pro Bowl MVP.....

Steelers fans expect play-offs and if they don't win the Super Bowl its a unsuccessful season.....If you're not first you're last...

But at the same time all wasn't lost this year and there are things to build on from this year....:yellowthumb:

floodcitygirl
01-07-2008, 01:31 AM

ok thats enough, stop thinking it lol:nono: :buttkick: Grrrrrr......

SteelerFan87
01-07-2008, 06:14 PM
In regards to Carey Davis, I think it was a huge mistake trying to use him at fullback. That's just idiotic. Dan Kreider is our FB. Davis can catch (except for that would-be TD pass against the Jags :banging: ) and he can run pretty well when called upon. He's a decent pass blocker, but he is not a FB, at least not the kind of FB we use in this offense. Kreider is like an extra lineman in run blocking. Davis run blocks like a WR. lol