PDA

View Full Version : Grade Tomlins 1st year as HC

Stlrs4Life
01-06-2008, 06:58 PM
What grade do you give Mike Tomlin?

I grade him a B+. His first year, won the AFC North, and wasn't expected top do even that. Good over all job, but has room for alot of improvement. This will be an interesting offseason for him.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-06-2008, 07:02 PM
C+............Some would say an A or B for sure since the team won the division.....Its impressive to win the division your rookie year as a HC no doubt...But as a Steelers fan I have come to expect a division title every year...lol I have seen this team win way to many division titles throughout the years....lol

I just didn't think he was that impressive this year as a HC......I thought the team looked flat on the road all year and I don't think he had his team ready to play on the road......I don't think he won over the whole locker room and I believe there is still a Cowher faction on the team.....Some players bought into Tomlin and some didn't for sure...Next year he better win over the whole team or it will be another one and done in the play-offs....

Iron City South
01-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Tomlin would have gotten a "B" from me if he didn't have such as "soft" and disappointing finish.

C+

TEEMONT
01-06-2008, 07:08 PM
I'd say B- he needs more emotion.

DIESELMAN
01-06-2008, 07:35 PM
C+ Mostly for Arian's loser playcalling throughout the season and the playoffs. Tomlin is the HC, he is the final say on everything.

LarryNJ
01-06-2008, 07:51 PM
I gave him a C+, to get in the B's you need to win a playoff game...to get in the A's you need to make it to the Super Bowl.

I think with a year under his belt next year he'll do more game day coaching. This year his head looked to be into the game and I didn't notice alot of coaching the players on the sideline.

It will be interesting to see what he does with his staff in the off season.

Ambridge
01-06-2008, 08:08 PM
C+............Some would say an A or B for sure since the team won the division.....Its impressive to win the division your rookie year as a HC no doubt...But as a Steelers fan I have come to expect a division title every year...lol I have seen this team win way to many division titles throughout the years....lol

I just didn't think he was that impressive this year as a HC......I thought the team looked flat on the road all year and I don't think he had his team ready to play on the road......I don't think he won over the whole locker room and I believe there is still a Cowher faction on the team.....Some players bought into Tomlin and some didn't for sure...Next year he better win over the whole team or it will be another one and done in the play-offs....

Couldn't have said it better. :yellowthumb:

I give Tomlin a C+ as well.

Stairwayto7
01-06-2008, 08:10 PM
I gave him a B - ! I thought it was a good year, but could have been better! We were not supposed to win the AFCN, but who knew that the ratbirds would be so bad, and cinci was equally bad.

My biggest issue is that we did NOT beat many quality teams.

Captcoolhand
01-06-2008, 08:30 PM
I gave him a B - ! I thought it was a good year, but could have been better! We were not supposed to win the AFCN, but who knew that the ratbirds would be so bad, and cinci was equally bad.

My biggest issue is that we did NOT beat many quality teams.I voted the same Glenn and couldn't agree more with ya.:yellowthumb:

Captcoolhand
01-06-2008, 08:33 PM
where's the line between C+ and B- ?????

Black@Gold Forever32
01-06-2008, 08:49 PM

One is a low B and the other is a high C....:lol:

Captcoolhand
01-06-2008, 08:57 PM
you're a funny guy.....lol:lol:

Koopa
01-06-2008, 08:57 PM

you are used to the division title wins so you should be used to one and done.......cause that was the norm for cowher.......and it's gonna be like that for a long time unless we overhaul that oline.......i gave him a B+ because he was dealing with cowher dick suckers, and he did better with this old team, we need to get younger and faster and stronger, cowhers guys have to be cut or let them walk cough faneca cough......

Black@Gold Forever32
01-06-2008, 08:58 PM
you're a funny guy.....lol:lol:

Thank you......:banana::banana::banana:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2008, 09:06 PM
I went with a "B" , I think while he did make some mistakes this year in certain game situations he did a lot of good things year with the offense:

Ben set Steeler records for QB's
Hines is the all time leading WR
Parker was the leading rusher
we started using the TE more and realized what a weapon it is
The offense is much more potent and able to score quickly and come back from being behind.

On defense we did have the #1 overall defense in the league, although the last month we did falter down the stretch.

There is still much work to be done but to win the division, get to the playoffs, and have a chance to win in the 4th quarter...I think he did pretty darn well and learned a lot this year about being an HC and what he's got to work with in his players.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-06-2008, 09:13 PM
you are used to the division title wins so you should be used to one and done.......cause that was the norm for cowher.......and it's gonna be like that for a long time unless we overhaul that oline.......i gave him a B+ because he was dealing with cowher dick suckers, and he did better with this old team, we need to get younger and faster and stronger, cowhers guys have to be cut or let them walk cough faneca cough......

I agree with many things in your post Koop......I was all for the Mike Tomlin hire at first...But I'm just being honest....I wasn't impressed with him over all this year...He showed me nothing that he can be a great HC in this league....The team was flat on the road all season.....He didn't win over the whole team....There is a Cowher faction still on this team...You seem to think so to by this post....But its your job as a HC to win the team over...

Only time will tell how good or bad a HC Mike Tomlin is....I'm just going by his 2007 rookie year....Which to wasn't that impressive....Thats why I gave him a C+.........Would have been a D+ if the team totally collapsed and lost the division crown....

As for Cowher he was good at blowing AFC title games...lol That was his norm....But he did lose his first two play off game....92 vs the Bills in the divisional round......93 to the Chiefs in the wild card round...I remember both games really well...The Bills trounced the Steelers and Chiefs beat the Steelers in a close game....Joe Montana was knocked out of that play-off game vs the Chiefs if memory serves me correct....

But those two times were the only times that Cowher team was one and done in the play-offs....So you're wrong under Bill Cowher the Steelers did at least win one play-game under Bill Cowher....They blew it AFC title games for the most part...Again you havn't been a fan since 2000 so you wouldn't know that...lol

94 Steelers beat the Browns in the divisional round...lost to Chargers in AFC title game...

95 Steelers beat Bills in divisional round and beat the Colts in AFC title games...Lost Super Bowl XXX to the Cowboys...

96 Steelers beat Colts in the wild card round....Lost to the Pats in the divisional round

97 Steelers beat the Pats in the divisional round....Lost to the Broncos to the in AFC title game...

01 Steelers beat the Ravens in the divisional round....Lost to the Pats in the afc title game...

02 Steelers beat the Browns in the wild card round....Lost to the Titians in the divisional round

04 Steelers beat the Jets in the divisional round....Lost to the Pats in the AFC title game.....

05....They won it all.....

Again Cowher was good for winning at least 1 play-off game for the most part in his tenure so now what you're talking about before talking out your ***...lol He sucked in AFC title games which led me to hate the guy over all....I would knock Cowher so I'm going to knock Tomlin as well when I see fit...

Koopa
01-06-2008, 09:14 PM
I went with a "B" , I think while he did make some mistakes this year in certain game situations he did a lot of good things year with the offense:

Ben set Steeler records for QB's
Hines is the all time leading WR
Parker was the leading rusher
we started using the TE more and realized what a weapon it is
The offense is much more potent and able to score quickly and come back from being behind.

On defense we did have the #1 overall defense in the league, although the last month we did falter down the stretch.

There is still much work to be done but to win the division, get to the playoffs, and have a chance to win in the 4th quarter...I think he did pretty darn well and learned a lot this year about being an HC and what he's got to work with in his players.

can't really blame that on tomlin......it just showed how important aaron smith is to this defense....... hopefully his injury doesn't slow him down the rest of his career.......we really need depth there, to bad mcbean was a bum lol

Koopa
01-06-2008, 09:17 PM
I agree with many things in your post Koop......I was all for the Mike Tomlin hire at first...But I'm just being honest....I wasn't impressed with him over all this year...He showed me nothing that he can be a great HC in this league....The team was flat on the road all season.....He didn't win over the whole team....There is a Cowher faction still on this team...You seem to think so to by this post....But its your job as a HC to win the team over...

Only time will tell how good or bad a HC Mike Tomlin is....I'm just going by his 2007 rookie year....Which to wasn't that impressive....Thats why I gave him a C+.........Would have been a D+ if the team totally collapsed and lost the division crown....

As for Cowher he was good at blowing AFC title games...lol That was his norm....But he did lose his first two play off game....92 vs the Bills in the divisional round......93 to the Chiefs in the wild card round...I remember both games really well...The Bills trounced the Steelers and Chiefs beat the Steelers in a close game....Joe Montana was knocked out of that play-off game vs the Chiefs if memory serves me correct....

But those two times were the only times that Cowher team was one and done in the play-offs....So you're wrong under Bill Cowher the Steelers did at least win one play-game under Bill Cowher....They blew it AFC title games for the most part...Again you havn't been a fan since 2000 so you wouldn't know that...lol

94 Steelers beat the Browns in the divisional round...lost to Chargers in AFC title game...

95 Steelers beat Bills in divisional round and beat the Colts in AFC title games...Lost Super Bowl XXX to the Cowboys...

96 Steelers beat Colts in the wild card round....Lost to the Pats in the divisional round

97 Steelers beat the Pats in the divisional round....Lost to the Broncos to the in AFC title game...

01 Steelers beat the Ravens in the divisional round....Lost to the Pats in the afc title game...

02 Steelers beat the Browns in the wild card round....Lost to the Titians in the divisional round

04 Steelers beat the Jets in the divisional round....Lost to the Pats in the AFC title game.....

05....They won it all.....

Again Cowher was good for winning at least 1 play-off game for the most part in his tenure so now what you're talking about before talking out your ***...lol He sucked in AFC title games which led me to hate the guy over all....I would knock Cowher so I'm going to knock Tomlin as well when I see fit...

lol, i don't give a **** about the 90s lol, i've been a fan since 2000, and that's the only history i care about lol, and all i've seen was failure from him, winning one game is pointless in the playoffs why even go if you're just gonna choke it away......... and yesterday was cowhers fault lol, arians coached under him for to long, that's why we ran ran ran punt when we had a one point lead......tomlin is to nice, he wanted to keep players happy so he kept cowhers bum of a coaching staff........ tomlin needs to say suck on my balls if you don't like what i'm doing and overhaul the coaching staff lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Yeah that's true, I mean the injuries on defense to key players like Smith and also Ryan Clark really killed us because we had zero depth behind them, plus Haggans really did nothing this year. I certainly don't blame Tomlin for the faltering of the defense because he lets Lebeau mainly coach the guys. I don't blame Lebeau either because he's not out there missing tackles, dropping INT's, taking wrong angles, etc. so that faltering is squarely on the players but ultimately Tomlin will take the credit for rankings and also the blame when they suck because he is the HC.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-06-2008, 09:22 PM
lol, i don't give a **** about the 90s lol, i've been a fan since 2000, and that's the only history i care about lol, and all i've seen was failure from him, winning one game is pointless in the playoffs why even go if you're just gonna choke it away......... and yesterday was cowhers fault lol, arians coached under him for to long, that's why we ran ran ran punt when we had a one point lead......tomlin is to nice, he wanted to keep players happy so he kept cowhers bum of a coaching staff

Ok fan of the 2000s......A Cowher coached team never was one and done in the play-offs this decade...You responded to me I should know how it feels to be one and done in the play-offs since Bill Cowher led teams were always one and done....Which isn't true....Bill Cowher led teams rarely were one and done in the play-offs thats all I'm saying.....So you're still not making sense....Blaming Bill Cowher for yesterday also makes no sense....:lol: Its Tomlin's team now and he takes the blame.....He didn't impress me this year....Sorry but thought he was lack luster all year...lol

yinzer
01-06-2008, 09:29 PM
c- because tomlin was not the reason we won the division. we won the division because of weak opponents and ben's improv.

Koopa
01-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Ok fan of the 2000s......A Cowher coached team never was one and done in the play-offs this decade...You responded to me I should know how it feels to be one and done in the play-offs since Bill Cowher led teams were always one and done....Which isn't true....Bill Cowher led teams rarely were one and done in the play-offs thats all I'm saying.....So you're still not making sense....Blaming Bill Cowher for yesterday also makes no sense....:lol: Its Tomlin's team now and he takes the blame.....He didn't impress me this year....Sorry but thought he was lack luster all year...lol

but tomlin didn't call plays, he actually allowed his coaches to coach, which is what head coaches should do, but since his coordinators coached under cowher once they got that 1 point lead they shut it down and ran ran ran punt..... and that fact that he got this bum *** team to the playoffs is good coaching lol.... this team really does suck donkey dick lol

Black@Gold Forever32
01-06-2008, 09:35 PM
but tomlin didn't call plays, he actually allowed his coaches to coach, which is what head coaches should do, but since his coordinators coached under cowher once they got that 1 point lead they shut it down and ran ran ran punt..... and that fact that he got this bum *** team to the playoffs is good coaching lol.... this team really does suck donkey dick lol

Well Roethlisberger is the main reason this team was in the play-offs....He only had the best season of any Steelers QB in the history of the franchise....I will say this Big Ben never would had this type of season if Cowher remained.......I never said Cowher was great and I didn't want him to retire....All I said was what your original response to me was that I should be use to being one and done in the play-offs since Cowher teams were always one and done....Which wasn't true...lol

As for Mike Tomlin...What did he do that was so impressive?....He coached a team to the play-offs...Ok I give him that...But to me it seemed he put most of his hope on Big Ben this year and Ben came through for the most part....I wasn't impressed overall with Mike Tomlin.....Not saying he is going to suck as a HC....But he has plenty of room to improve as a HC...

Koopa
01-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Well Roethlisberger is the main reason this team was in the play-offs....He only had the best season of any Steelers QB in the history of the franchise....I will say this Big Ben never would had this type of season if Cowher remained.......I never said Cowher was great and I didn't want him to retire....All I said was what your original response to me was that I should be use to being one and done in the play-offs since Cowher teams were always one and done....Which wasn't true...lol

As for Mike Tomlin...What did he do that was so impressive?....He coached a team to the play-offs...Ok I give him that...But to me it seemed he put most of his hope on Big Ben this year and Ben came through for the most part....I wasn't impressed overall with Mike Tomlin.....Not saying he is going to suck as a HC....But he has plenty of room to improve as a HC...

he impressed me cause he didn't have a gay *** hissy fit for everything, and he impressed me cause he doesn't have a gay chin, he impressed me cause he doesn't drink beer with ice........i just hate cowher lol

Black@Gold Forever32
01-06-2008, 09:44 PM
he impressed me cause he didn't have a gay *** hissy fit for everything, and he impressed me cause he doesn't have a gay chin, he impressed me cause he doesn't drink beer with ice........i just hate cowher lol

You hate Bill Cowher....I hate Bill Cowher also.....You seem to lose the point I tried to make....I'm sorry I'm not use to the Steelers being one and done in the play-offs....Only times it has happened before this year was 1992 and 1993.....I was 13 and 14....That was a long time ago...lol

So Mikey better improve this team greatly next year...I have been easy on Tomlin since he was a rookie HC...But one and done in the play-offs next year and I will have a **** storm....:lol:

Koopa
01-06-2008, 09:49 PM
You hate Bill Cowher....I hate Bill Cowher also.....You seem to lose the point I tried to make....I'm sorry I'm not use to the Steelers being one and done in the play-offs....Only times it has happened before this year was 1992 and 1993.....I was 13 and 14....That was a long time ago...lol

So Mikey better improve this team greatly next year...I have been easy on Tomlin since he was a rookie HC...But one and done in the play-offs next year and I will have a shiat storm....:lol:

unless we overhaul that oline i don't think there will be a playoffs for us, our schedule is gonna be nuts, i think he deserves a mulligan :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-06-2008, 09:50 PM
unless we overhaul that oline i don't think there will be a playoffs for us, our schedule is gonna be nuts, i think he deserves a mulligan :lol:

Well I'm sorry if he doesn't know this team needs to rebuild the OL through the draft then he needs to go as HC...lol Its clear this team needs a LT and a center......

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Perhaps what everyone is not used to seeing a Head Coach that allows his coaches to coach with being all up in their face every 5 seconds trying to interject 2 cents worth of something else and screwing up the game plan because he is stubborn. That was Cowher to a T if you ask me. Tomlin has allowed Ben to flourish and has allowed his coaches to give him more freedom and let them loosen the reigns and he delivered. Ben gets the credit for that as does Kenny Anderson and Arians.

There is absolutely no way in hell if BC were still the Coach that Ben would have had this type of year and our offense have the capability of being such a quick strike and versatile team. That is all Tomlin and his ability to bring in Coaches to help Ben and the offense get better. Is Arians the answer for a quality OC ? Maybe so and maybe not, at this point it's 50-50 but he's going to be here for atleast another season so lets hope he's learned something.

Im sure tomlin has learned a lot too this year, there is no substitute for experience.

dick rasile
01-06-2008, 10:59 PM
I'll with hold my vote until I find out just why the special teams can suck so bad. Even the bad teams show some improvement

Koopa
01-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Perhaps what everyone is not used to seeing a Head Coach that allows his coaches to coach with being all up in their face every 5 seconds trying to interject 2 cents worth of something else and screwing up the game plan because he is stubborn. That was Cowher to a T if you ask me. Tomlin has allowed Ben to flourish and has allowed his coaches to give him more freedom and let them loosen the reigns and he delivered. Ben gets the credit for that as does Kenny Anderson and Arians.

There is absolutely no way in hell if BC were still the Coach that Ben would have had this type of year and our offense have the capability of being such a quick strike and versatile team. That is all Tomlin and his ability to bring in Coaches to help Ben and the offense get better. Is Arians the answer for a quality OC ? Maybe so and maybe not, at this point it's 50-50 but he's going to be here for atleast another season so lets hope he's learned something.

Im sure tomlin has learned a lot too this year, there is no substitute for experience.

yup, if cowher was there last night after that second pick he would've shut down ben and forced fed dookie whether or not if he produced, tomlin had faith in ben and ben came through in the end.......if the playcalling would have been better on that 3rd and 6 we might have won inspite of first half shittiness...... and if we had put a spy on garrard things might have been different, i don't know how they let him run, and ****ing carter waited for him to come to him and missed the tackle, carter should've ran and just creamed him instead of being a ****tard lol

MDSteel15
01-06-2008, 11:38 PM
B:clap:

K Train
01-07-2008, 12:33 AM
anything less than a B would be insulting imo

BBG7
01-07-2008, 12:52 AM
B from me

floodcitygirl
01-07-2008, 01:21 AM
Please tell me it was the Cleveland troll that gave him the D-! He deserves a C at least for looking so cool. lol (j/k)

I'll say a B. Always room for improvement but I think he did a heck of a job coming in to fill some big shoes and with a fan base that can be as brutal and critical as they are dedicated.

Troyisabeast_43
01-07-2008, 01:40 AM

Is it possible that Tomlin told him to keep the ball on the ground? I'm just saying that it is possible. I am a Tomlin supporter, but it doesn't mean that Tomlin didn't make that decision. People are quick to burn Ariens, but i think he did alot of good things with an offense that had a bad oline all things considered. Yes he did make some mistakes and the playcalling at times this year especially in key situations was horrible especially that last series there where they pretty much crawled up and went into a hole and became gutless, but the more I think about it I for one hope we keep Arians. I think he can get better in his 2nd year as OC. The bottom line though for Bruce Ariens is if he is going to remain the offensive coordinator he will have to take on a closer's mentality and play cut-throat in his playcalling in order to improve.

AZ_Steeler
01-07-2008, 02:42 AM
B- Would have been higher but the collapse down the stretch killed him!

ARKIESTEEL
01-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Man a rookie HC takes an 8 and 8 team to the playoffs and AFCN champs and you think that is a c effort?? Damn glad none of you was grading my test scores in school.

B+

memphissteelergirl
01-07-2008, 02:01 PM
I voted B-minus...

BlitzburghNation
01-07-2008, 05:07 PM
I gave him a B,,,,,,,,,But felt like giving him an F after that 3rd & 6 call :cursin:

Koopa
01-07-2008, 05:18 PM
I gave him a B,,,,,,,,,But felt like giving him an F after that 3rd & 6 call :cursin:

remember, this isn't cowher, tomlin actually lets his OC coach, so that call was all bruce arians

KSSteelerfan
01-07-2008, 05:24 PM
I guess I was generous I gave him an A-.

Prosdo
01-08-2008, 03:12 AM
I gave Tomlin a B. He made the playoffs, but I think the true test for Tomlin is this offseason. He has some gaps to fill and problems to fix.

Dako
01-08-2008, 12:55 PM

3rd and 6 on offense,
4th and 2 on defense

Stlrs4Life
01-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Ed Bouchette also gave him a B.

Koopa
01-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Ed Bouchette also gave him a B.

ed bouchette needs to die.........

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2008, 08:53 PM
ed bouchette needs to die.........

:lol:....Funny and harsh at the same time....But thats why I like Koopa...You always know were he stands on a topic....lol Keep it real Koop like you do always....:lol:

Koopa
01-08-2008, 08:57 PM
:lol:....Funny and harsh at the same time....But thats why I like Koopa...You always know were he stands on a topic....lol Keep it real Koop like you do always....:lol:

lol, i can't stand this dude, he actually whined about cutting barr and spending two picks on d-sep.....he's a ****tard lol

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2008, 09:00 PM
lol, i can't stand this dude, he actually whined about cutting barr and spending two picks on d-sep.....he's a ****tard lol

Dude you don't know the half of it when it comes to Ed and his stance against the drafting of D-Sep....From the moment the Steelers traded up for him and gave up a 6th round pick old Ed has whined about it......Then he whined about it in training camp, pre-season and during the season.....I get Fox Sports Pittsburgh on Diretv so I got to hear Ed all year whining about Sepulveda....lol So I know what you mean....Now since Sep shanked that kick in the Jags game I'm sure he will whine about until the start of the season in 08...lol I have no problems with Sep....I think his leg just was tired after a long rookie year.....

Dee Mca
01-08-2008, 09:10 PM
I went with the B. Just for winning the AFC North as a rookie coach and an Injury Plagued team all season. Would have given a B+ if he didn't call those 2-pt conversion attempts. Esp after the phantom holding call on Mahan. No way kick the point from the 12. O-line stinks not going to have the time to throw it and Ben isn't going to make it on the scramble. Then again my grade doesn't matter it's his players and we will see in the next few months what the team thinks of him by who resigns and who doesn't.

troy43
01-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Even though I wanted to grade him lower because of how we seemed to fall apart in the end, I think a B+ is a fair and realistic grade for the SEASON AS A WHOLE. This Rookie head coach made the playoffs, most of the steelers love him, PreSeason was fun again, we seemed unstoppable at the beginning of the season, and considering all the "experts" on ESPN picked Cincy and Baltimore to make it out of our Division, I think he surprised a lot of people... and lets not forget how emotion-less Cowher was during his last season.

steel-tex
01-09-2008, 06:43 PM
i grade him a b-. he did get a great team to start with. to laid back for me, never gets excited or acts pumped up like cower did. hell cower acted like he wanted to be playing out there with the team. like he was ready to suit up and help the cause. that fire on the sidelines his fire fired up the players. just my 2 cents.

Stlrs4Life
01-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Say what you want about Bouchette, he is right more than half the time and doesn't sugar coat anything. He's better than all the other sportswriters in this town.

steel-tex
01-09-2008, 07:04 PM
koopa is right the o-line has to pass block and move the defence back off the ball. they need to open some holes. it all starts here.