PDA

View Full Version : 3rd and 6 is what Ill remember...

Troyisabeast_43
01-06-2008, 06:05 PM
That is what I'll remember more than anything from this game. You pass all night to put yourself in position to win and do that bs.

I hate to say it but the Patriots would have passed there and converted and won the game right there. I hate them but respect the heck out of them and they would have passed and won. We turtle and lose.

SO many what if's this year. Defense can never come up big when it counts. Broncos, Jets, Jags, Jags and almost blew the 2nd Brown game as well. Sux to know our defense has gotten to this point that you can never count on them to make a stop when you need it. Without Big Ben we would have been 5-11. 3rd and 6 should have passed.

I would have questioned that 3rd and 6 call no matter what. Even if Roethlisberger had picked up the first down. Nothing has worked to the left for the entire season. There was an unexpected open field to the left on the play before and I simply feel that Ariens banked on that happening again. Guess what...guess again...Mr. Ariens. Sometimes something is simply a coincidence, just as that play before L-Side open field.

I would have questioned it because passing is what got us to where we where during that fourth quarter and the game situation did not equate to running plays yet.
The bootleg was an awful call and so were the two plays prior to it. Again like it was mentioned earlier take what the opposition gives. The box was loaded and we hadn't the ball up the middle effectively all night. They had 3 timeouts remaining which meant we needed at least 1 first down to effectively run the clock down. Short passes or play action worked for us most of the night and they are higher percentage passes for Ben. Can we get the ball in Hines or Heaths hands in crunch time. It was a sickening series especially after we fighting back the way they did. It was all about trying to burn some clock and not getting a first down or better field positioning when we punt. Just Disgusted.

Has anyone stepped forward and taken the blame for that third and six call. Been working all day and haven't seen any post game interviews. Throw out the O line excuses, Ben's poor play in the first half, special teams disasters. The season was there at third and six and somebody called the most gutless lay down and die play I have ever seen.

DIESELMAN
01-06-2008, 06:37 PM
They need to find Arians hangin from his ceiling with a noose around his neck, with a big sign on his chest that reads "I'm sorry" Tomlin should be pissed for 2 reasons, 1. for Arians even thinking about calling that play and 2. for allowing the play to be ran. Ben got us into the playoffs with his arm. he got us back into the game with his arm. With the game on the line, you play to win, not not to lose. **** poor call with the game on the line.

Stlrs4Life
01-06-2008, 06:41 PM
That and 4th and 2.

Iron City South
01-06-2008, 07:06 PM
I noticed Cowher called the now infamous 3rd and 6 play out just before the Chargers/Titans game. Cowher called the play selection "inexcusable" knowing the pass was working and they only needed 1 more first down to eat the clock for the win. He said, "For the life of me, I have no idea what they were thinking."

catlabman
01-06-2008, 07:44 PM
All I've got to say about that game is...WHO CALLED A QB SWEEP PLAY ON
3RD AND 6 WHEN WE HAD BEEN PASSING ALL NIGHT AND ALL WE NEEDED WAS A FIRST DOWN TO RUN OUT THE CLOCK:banging::cursin::evilshake:
If it was Arians, he should be hung for that call. We were on our way to the Pats and a QB sweep play was called, WTF!!!!!Heads should roll with that loss:willybs:

Ambridge
01-06-2008, 08:18 PM
That 3rd and 6 play call was Gutless, Spineless and Idiotic and was a Glaring example of Bruce Arians "A-hole" play calling.

It's only a matter of time before Arians is shown the door......and the thought of having to put up with at least another season of this High School play calling really pisses me off.

Chan Gailey and Cam Cameron are out there to be had and we're stuck with POS Arians!! :cursin:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-06-2008, 08:22 PM
That 3rd and 6 play call was Gutless, Spineless and Idiotic and was a Glaring example of Bruce Arians "A-hole" play calling.

It's only a matter of time before Arians is shown the door......and the thought of having to put up with at least another season of this High School play calling really pisses me off.

Chan Gailey and Cam Cameron are out there to be had and we're stuck with POS Arians!! :cursin:

Not that Cam Cameron was released of his HC duties from the Dolphins....That is an interesting option...Would be nice for the Steelers to explore in maybe upgrading their OC...Arians is a dolt...lol Chan Gailey was a good OC for the Steelers...Kordell had his best season as a starter with Gailey...Both would be an upgrade over Arians in my opinion...

DIESELMAN
01-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Both would be an upgrade over Arians in my opinion...
Hell Mickey Mouse would be an upgrade over Arians. :haha:

LatrobePA
01-06-2008, 08:43 PM
I agree on all points, BA SUCKS! Point simple, they lost the game right there with that call. I personally hate BA and hope he is let go ASAP.

Koopa
01-06-2008, 08:46 PM
that was classic cowher play calling with a one point lead, arians has to go

LatrobePA
01-06-2008, 08:48 PM
I will have a hard time trusting Coach T if he doesn't make a change here. I love the guy thus far but that was as brain dead as anything I've seen this year.

yinzer
01-06-2008, 09:27 PM
that dumb *** call was the reason we lost the game. thanks, bruce. this one is on you.

LatrobePA
01-06-2008, 09:43 PM
I told my wife if we don't come out and continue to throw the ball we are done. So does that mean I can stand on the sidlines and call plays?? I bet my 9 yr. old can call plays better....F it I'm over it, but I have a feeling this sorry *** will be back next year!!

yinzer
01-06-2008, 09:51 PM
I told my wife if we don't come out and continue to throw the ball we are done. So does that mean I can stand on the sidlines and call plays?? I bet my 9 yr. old can call plays better....F it I'm over it, but I have a feeling this sorry *** will be back next year!!

if arians is back next year, people will be pissed off for sure! i wonder if he realizes how bad he sucks and how upset the fans are at him. by him knowing that, it would make me feel a lot better.

LatrobePA
01-06-2008, 11:29 PM
if arians is back next year, people will be pissed off for sure! i wonder if he realizes how bad he sucks and how upset the fans are at him. by him knowing that, it would make me feel a lot better.

I bet he thinks his crap don't stink, 32 TD's and the other stats are all he cares about...FIRE HIS *** NOW!!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-07-2008, 12:35 AM
Bruce will be back in 2008, you can bet money on that. Tomlin isn't going to can him after just 1 year. Let's just hope that he has learned from his mistakes this season and come back in 2008 and be a more consistent play caller. The dude is trying to be cute and creative instead of going with what has gotten you to the red zone in the first place. If passing got you there then pass it, if running got you there then run it..it's not rocket science. Just go with what works and stop trying to out think yourself.

TEEMONT
01-07-2008, 12:45 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I was begging for the quick slant to Santonio or Hines right there, or Heath in the flat. I just don't understand why you run Ben on a sweep for the life of me.

Ben can make time in the pocket, but the dude is NOT Mike Vick, he makes things happen, but I don't think I have ever seen a scripted work too well for Ben.

K Train
01-07-2008, 12:51 AM
i couldnt belive it was a designed run....heath and ward were on fire all night...ive never once bitched about arians, because there really hasnt been a reason to enough, you all just love to blame it all on him, but THAT was a terrible call

Black@Gold Forever32
01-07-2008, 12:53 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I was begging for the quick slant to Santonio or Hines right there, or Heath in the flat. I just don't understand why you run Ben on a sweep for the life of me.

Ben can make time in the pocket, but the dude is NOT Mike Vick, he makes things happen, but I don't think I have ever seen a scripted work too well for Ben.

We talked about this earlier today....The quick slant should have been a staple in this offense all year...Especially when Ben was being sacked left and right...What better way to help out your pass protection then by shorten your QBs drop pack and shorten the WRs routes...

BlitzburghRockCity
01-07-2008, 02:13 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_546183.html

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, January 7, 2008

Presented with a chance to run out the clock against the Jacksonville Jaguars, the Steelers had the play they wanted against the defense they were anticipating but came up short.

Clinging to a 29-28 lead and facing a third-and-6 from their 26-yard line with 2:56 remaining, the Steelers went with a keeper by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

The play gained only 1 yard and the Steelers wound up punting the ball back to Jacksonville with 2:38 to play.

A 40-yard punt and 16-yard return set the Jaguars up at their 49.

story continues below

Jacksonville turned the field position into Josh Scobee's 25-yard field goal with 40 seconds left and eliminated the Steelers, 31-29, on Saturday night at Heinz Field.

"We put ourselves in position to win the ballgame and should have made that first down," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said.

Roethlisberger's run was preceded by two carries from running back Najeh Davenport, which gained 5 yards and lost 1.

Coach Mike Tomlin said there was talk of throwing on the series, "particularly on the third-down play."

"But that's something we worked on all week," Tomlin said. "We felt good about it. We actually had the look (they were expecting), we just didn't execute it.

"Good play by them."

Arians said the yardage needed was a little more than the Steelers would have preferred, but they still felt good about calling Roethlisberger's number.

"After the first-down call, we were trying to get it into third-and-3 or third-and-4 for that play," Arians said. "We don't get the necessary yardage running straight ahead. We still got the exact coverage we thought we'd get on third-and-3.

"We just come out there and don't make a block. Two great blocks by (tight end) Heath (Miller) and (wide receiver) Hines (Ward) and don't get the blocks on the corner to get the first down."

Added Roethlisberger: "A designed run. I thought we had a good play but they ended up getting outside."

Once that happened, Roethlisberger resorted to damage control.

"I was just trying to protect the ball," he said.

Ambridge
01-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Coach Mike Tomlin said there was talk of throwing on the series, "particularly on the third-down play."

"But that's something we worked on all week," Tomlin said. "We felt good about it. We actually had the look (they were expecting), we just didn't execute it.

"Good play by them."

Arians said the yardage needed was a little more than the Steelers would have preferred, but they still felt good about calling Roethlisberger's number.

Total BS!!

Okay! Maybe you did work on that play all week but with the Game and Season on the Line that's not the time nor the scenario to run that play.

That play screams "We're playing Not To Lose"!!
Shame on Arians and Tomlin for having no Guts.

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
01-07-2008, 09:15 AM
i couldnt belive it was a designed run....heath and ward were on fire all night...ive never once bitched about arians, because there really hasnt been a reason to enough, you all just love to blame it all on him, but THAT was a terrible call

I couldn't agree more, I haven't thought that harshly about BA until that call either...as soon as that play was stopped i knew right there that the game was over.After that huge comeback for the game to end like that was hard to swallow..That reminded me of the ol Conservative Cowher Crap.They couldn't stop Hines all night so let's completely remove him from the playbook??? That was a complete, hot, steaming pile of CRAP!

steel-tex
01-07-2008, 09:56 AM
man i never saw such crap all we need is a first down. the coaching staff has to put the players in the position to win, ours didn't. we had 3 tries, run 2 right, run 2 left, bootleg????? (they call me bruce) rides again. the play calling on this series reminded me of most of the regular season, inept. when you have 8 in the box it is hard to run on, when your o-line is beat up and not playing well it makes it that harder. throw slants, short passes to your back the tight end, go 5 or ten yards. something quick. i am just a mechanic but i think i could have called 3 freaken better plays than were called on that series, i would not of picked any of the three called. after the first int ben threw they should of sat him down and said ( look short ) it was there all day. the jacksonville d was set up on the deeper routs ,when ben threw short routs we moved the ball, it took to long to figure this out. tomlin is the head coach he should have straitened this crap out after the 2,3, and 4th drive to nothing. (they call me bruce) needs to go, he don't cut it at this level. i call (bum)

BlitzburghRockCity
01-07-2008, 02:04 PM
You can't blame this one on Arians totally, Tomlin was ok with the call and they felt they were going to catch the Jags off guard since they'd be expecting a pass. Well the blocking sucked and it gained a whopping 1 yd. Lesson learned, aggressive play got you to the point of retaking the lead in the 4th quarter so you dance with what got you there.

ARKIESTEEL
01-07-2008, 02:11 PM
well its done but somewhere in there it would have made just as much sense to run the fake punt as it did to run a sweep. 1 and 10 play action deep if that dont work 2 and 10 slant if that dont work try to get the ball out to miller see if he can pull it off! I dont know something anything but what we did:scratch::banging:

Ambridge
01-07-2008, 03:35 PM
well its done but somewhere in there it would have made just as much sense to run the fake punt as it did to run a sweep. 1 and 10 play action deep if that dont work 2 and 10 slant if that dont work try to get the ball out to miller see if he can pull it off! I dont know something anything but what we did:scratch::banging:

There's no excuse for that play call and I hope the Pittsburgh Sports Media doesn't miss the opportunity to hold both Tomlin's and Arian's feet under the fire.

A Pop Warner Coach would have chosen a better play than that "Turd of a Selection" made by Arians.....and approved by Tomlin.

LatrobePA
01-07-2008, 03:55 PM
There's no excuse for that play call and I hope the Pittsburgh Sports Media doesn't miss the opportunity to hold both Tomlin's and Arian's feet under the fire.

A Pop Warner Coach would have chosen a better play than that "Turd of a Selection" made by Arians.....and approved by Tomlin.

Perfectly said.....I'm gonna be sick for a LONG time with this f'n stupid play!!

BlitzburghNation
01-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Total BS!!

Okay! Maybe you did work on that play all week but with the Game and Season on the Line that's not the time nor the scenario to run that play.

That play screams "We're playing Not To Lose"!!
Shame on Arians and Tomlin for having no Guts.

:ditto:

snowman79
01-08-2008, 08:40 AM
AGREED 100% ****ole Arians has to go NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3rd and 6 game on the line for God's sake even my 11 year old daughter knew we had to throw the ball, we didnt game over no playoffs bye bye goodnight, do the best thing for the club Bruce GO NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!

****SUPPORT OUR TROOPS****

SteelCityPride08
01-08-2008, 12:40 PM
F**K BRUCE ARIANS
HE NEEDS TO GO

Deb
01-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Tomlin: We Should Have Called a Different Play on Third and Six (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/01/11/tomlin-we-should-have-called-a-different-play-on-third-and-six/)

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/sports.aol.com/fanhouse/media/2008/01/ben-roethlisberger-stuffed.jpg

Mike Tomlin admits he isn't perfect, even if hindsight has perfect vision. So if he could do it over again, he wouldn't have allowed (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08011/848338-66.stm) a curious quarterback sweep on third and six with the Steelers needing two first downs to hold off the Jaguars. But that's about the only thing from Saturday's game that he's willing to take back.
"In hindsight, if you had it to do over, yes you would love to do that," Tomlin said, "because the result of the play that we choose was not the result we were looking for. We weren't successful."
But even if everyone and their brother thought it was crazy to go for a two-point conversion once the Steelers got pushed back to the 12, Tomlin would do it again.
"Yes, I'd do it again. I throw caution to the wind. I play to win."It's encouraging to see that Tomlin knows that he'll sometimes make the wrong decision and he needs to learn from it, even if it's still hard to figure out his thinking on the two-point conversion.

LINK (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/category/nfl/page/2/)

BlitzburghNation
01-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Nice post,,,,,,,,,,,,:bigthumb:

He says~~~"Yes, I'd do it again. I throw caution to the wind. I play to win."

:scratch: So why didn't he go for that 1st down with a short pass :cursin:

steelerfan11
01-11-2008, 11:23 PM
he was trying to kill the clock...yes going for the first down would have been better but there must have been something he saw or thought he saw that he thought it was possible to get a first with the play he called.

Either way i am still a lot happier with him as coach then Cowher.

He just needs to learn from his mistakes and grow from it. He is a good coach and needs some tweaking to be a great coach.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-12-2008, 12:04 AM
we've beaten this topic to death since the game ended. The team had practiced that very QB sneak all week long and they felt if they got the right defense they would use it. Tomlin saw the Jags in that defense and allowed the play to be called. 3rd and 6 you are expecting most teams to pass but Tomlin felt he could catch them in a pass defense and allow Ben to break through for a crucial first down but the blocking didn't hold up and that was the end of it. If Ben makes that play and the bocking is executed properly we're all singing his praises. It's over, done with, they'll learn from it and move on....

Stlrs4Life
01-12-2008, 12:34 AM
Well according to this article he would:

Steelers' Tomlin would do it all again

1/10/2008 7:51:53 PM

PITTSBURGH - Steelers coach Mike Tomlin says if he had it to do all over again, he'd do it all over again.

Yes, he would again call for the two debatable 2-point conversion tries. The decision to run the ball on Pittsburgh's failed final drive, which led to Jacksonville's winning field goal and the Jaguars' 31-29 AFC playoff victory on Saturday.

Yes, that Ben Roethlisberger rollout on third-and-6 from the Pittsburgh 26 with 2:56 to play and the Steelers up 29-28 would be repeated - even though a successful short pass play would have given them the opportunity to run out the clock.

Roethlisberger was stopped for only a one-yard gain on a quarterback sweep to his left, a play that the Steelers rarely use but which still didn't fool Jaguars safety Sammy Knight. Roethlisberger threw for 337 yards and two scores and the Steelers ran for only 43 yards on 26 carries, yet they called three successive run plays on that final drive.

OK, Tomlin may be second-guessing that play-calling a little.

"Hindsight is 20-15 sometimes," Tomlin said at his end-of-season news conference Thursday. "If you had it to do over, yes, you would love to do that (throw the ball) because the result of the play was not the result we were looking for."

Tomlin's first season as an NFL head coach began well with records of 4-1 and 7-2 but ended with four losses in five games, including the Steelers' first early round home playoff loss in 15 years.

That's why Tomlin took a few extra days before talking to reporters for one last time this season. "It was an emotional game," he said. "It was a gut-wrenching defeat, but every January defeat I have experienced has been the same."

Tomlin twice gambled by going for the 2-point conversion, rather than kicking the extra point, after the Steelers scored in the fourth quarter to cut it to 28-23 and again when they went ahead 29-28.

The first time, Tomlin stayed with the 2-point conversion even after a holding call on centre Sean Mahan pushed the Steelers back to the 12-yard line. On another debatable quarterback keeper, Roethlisberger was stopped at the 3.

"Yes, I'd do it again," Tomlin said. "I throw caution to the wind. I play to win."

Following their go-ahead touchdown four minutes later, the Steelers were trying to go up by three points so a field goal wouldn't beat them - which, of course, is exactly what happened when Josh Scobee kicked a 25-yarder with 37 seconds to play.

"We go up by one, there is no need of going up by two," Tomlin said.

On other issues, Tomlin said he:

-Plans to retain all of his assistant coaches, although it is common for a first-year coach to reassess his staff and make changes.

"Do we need to get better? Do we need to coach better in some areas, all areas? Absolutely," he said.

-Was concerned - and rightly so, as it proved - about his special teams even before the start of training camp.

As he watched film after being hired nearly a year ago, Tomlin said he realized losing special teams players such as Sean Morey, Mike Logan and Chidi Iwuoma would be a major setback. Also, linebacker James Harrison became a starter and didn't play as much on special teams.

"I wasn't interested in throwing up a red flag and saying, `Hey, I am worried about special teams,' but obviously I was," Tomlin said. "A special teams unit is comprised of four or five core guys. .. It would be the equivalent of losing seven, eight, nine starters on an offensive or defensive unit."

Kick coverage must improve next season, he said, but there "are not enough dynamic playmakers that you can build a core unit around."

-Thinks the Steelers currently are "a good team. That's what 10-6 teams are, what division champions are. We've got to be great."

-Is convinced the offensive and defensive lines most need an infusion of younger players.

"The protection of our quarterback has to improve," Tomlin said, referring to the 47 sacks of Roethlisberger.

-Hasn't written off losing All-Pro guard Alan Faneca, who can become a free agent, but "maybe the door is closing."

-Isn't confident that the Steelers will be big players in free agency and believes most of their new players will arrive in the draft.

"When you have quality, you have to pay for that," he said.

-Said his first season as a head coach didn't go "as well as I would have liked."

"One of the things that has bugged me since Saturday night are people with great intentions saying, `Great start' and `great year,"' he said. "I appreciate that, but I am not wired like that. Not that I am a negative guy, a melancholy guy. .. (But) there is something we are chasing here and we never will cease that chase."

-Wouldn't disclose, for now, whether the Steelers will eventually switch from a 3-4 defence to a 4-3. He also wouldn't say if he favours yanking up Heinz Field's often-mushy grass and putting down artificial turf.