PDA

View Full Version : Larry Foote

MDSteel15
01-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Why is everyone always down on Larry? He has been one of our most consistant Defensive players each year. He isn't flashy like Peezy was but he seems to always be around the play. Besides that, he is a model when it comes to someone to look up to. If you don't think so, look up the story about him and his kid.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-06-2008, 05:43 PM
He is a good player but he doesn't make enough big plays....In a 3-4 you need your LBs to constantly make big plays....Now if the Steelers had the LB core like they did in the mid to late 90s they could get away with having Foote in the lineup...Since players like Lloyd, Greene, Brown and Kirkland were all good players they could have masked some of Foote's short comings....But with Haggans, Harrison, Foote and Farrior this current core is good but not at the level that this defense needs to excel at its highest level...

Haggans needs to go....Harrison is a good player but come on his 8.5 sacks isn't all that special when you think this defense is designed for OLBs to record sacks....Really Harrison should have had 10-12 sacks....Now I'm not knocking Harrison he needs to remain on the team and will start next year....Farrior is far from done...He had a very good year and had a good game against the Jags.....Hopefully Woodley will bring back the big plays at the other OLB spot...I'm sure he will...He looked like a beast when he was in there....Plus Timmons will be in the mix if he doesn't win a spot as one of those ILB spots...I'm sure he will slide from OLB to ILB at times next year....If these young LBs are the real deal then we can get away with having Foote as a starter....

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2008, 05:54 PM
the only change that will happen in this group in 2008 is that Haggans will be gone and Woodley will step in. Harrisons 8.5 sacks is pretty damn impressive considering that he's taken on the big LT's and he's get doubled all the time. If anything Haggans should have had double digit sacks but Harrison took on the brunt of all the double teams and big OL and still had a great season. Silverback is the next great Steeler linebacker and we have the privilege of watching get his career really set in high gear.

Farrior is still playing well and he's a leader of the group. He has lost a step as he's gotten older but he's still a good ILB and he'll be back.

Woodley is going to be a monster for us and when he gets in there he's going to allow Harrison even more chances and Vice versa because you can't double them both. They have the potential to be the next Lloyd and Green, mark my words.

Foote has been just quietly making play after play all year, Ive always liked him and even when the defense has stunk he's been in the middle of everything having good games.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-06-2008, 05:58 PM
the only change that will happen in this group in 2008 is that Haggans will be gone and Woodley will step in. Harrisons 8.5 sacks is pretty damn impressive considering that he's taken on the big LT's and he's get doubled all the time. If anything Haggans should have had double digit sacks but Harrison took on the brunt of all the double teams and big OL and still had a great season. Silverback is the next great Steeler linebacker and we have the privilege of watching get his career really set in high gear.

Farrior is still playing well and he's a leader of the group. He has lost a step as he's gotten older but he's still a good ILB and he'll be back.

Woodley is going to be a monster for us and when he gets in there he's going to allow Harrison even more chances and Vice versa because you can't double them both. They have the potential to be the next Lloyd and Green, mark my words.

Foote has been just quietly making play after play all year, Ive always liked him and even when the defense has stunk he's been in the middle of everything having good games.

Really I don't see Harrison peaking any higher...He is almost 30...Woodley and Timmons are the future of this defense...Now Harrison is a good football player and he should start next year....But come on Top you can go down the list of the OLBs that were double teamed and had to go against monster LTs throughout the years in the Steelers defense....You would agree OLBs must post double digit sack total for this defense to excel to its highest level...Hopefully Woodley and Harrison do that next year....

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Considering Harrison was a bench warmer his entire career, cut 3 times, played in NFLE, and has been hurt most of the time I think he played exceptional. If he would have had somebody opposite him who could get to the passer with any consistency he would have had more sacks. All teams had to do was block down on James with the G and T or put an extra TE over there and he was behind the 8 ball before things started. It's anybody's guess how long James will be playing for us because nothing is certain; I agree that Woodley and Timmons are the future but for right now Harrison and Woodley are just going to be monsters next year and if they play like they are capable of Im telling ya it's going to be Quiver and Quake all over again. We shall see though but one thing is certain we have a lot better depth at OLB then we've had in years. Inside though we need some serious help because neither Farrior nor Foote is getting any younger.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Considering Harrison was a bench warmer his entire career, cut 3 times, played in NFLE, and has been hurt most of the time I think he played exceptional. If he would have had somebody opposite him who could get to the passer with any consistency he would have had more sacks. All teams had to do was block down on James with the G and T or put an extra TE over there and he was behind the 8 ball before things started. It's anybody's guess how long James will be playing for us because nothing is certain; I agree that Woodley and Timmons are the future but for right now Harrison and Woodley are just going to be monsters next year and if they play like they are capable of Im telling ya it's going to be Quiver and Quake all over again. We shall see though but one thing is certain we have a lot better depth at OLB then we've had in years. Inside though we need some serious help because neither Farrior nor Foote is getting any younger.

I agree Harrison will be helped if Woodley can become a force at the other OLB spot...I'm just saying I don't know if he is going to peak any higher.....I think Timmons will slide from OLB to ILB next year....Providing depth all among all the LB spots....Plus he might even beat out Foote as a starter....The defense needs his speed and hitting ability on the field more next year for sure....

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2008, 06:08 PM
If Timmons does make that move to the inside he will immediately push Foote and Farrior both to elevate their games. They have said he can play both inside and outside which is a huge plus for him, much like Chad Brown did for us. He was a force on the side along with Kirkland and eventually moved outside and was a awesome.

I don't think James has peaked yet but he showed signs of what he can do and if get double digit sacks out of him every year and all the forced fumbles, interceptions, and tackles for losses like he had this year I'll be more than content. Plus he has that mean, nasty, attitude that the great LB's have had.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-06-2008, 06:15 PM
If Timmons does make that move to the inside he will immediately push Foote and Farrior both to elevate their games. They have said he can play both inside and outside which is a huge plus for him, much like Chad Brown did for us. He was a force on the side along with Kirkland and eventually moved outside and was a awesome.

I don't think James has peaked yet but he showed signs of what he can do and if get double digit sacks out of him every year and all the forced fumbles, interceptions, and tackles for losses like he had this year I'll be more than content. Plus he has that mean, nasty, attitude that the great LB's have had.

Harrison is a very good player and I love his attitude as well...He is a starter for this team no doubt.....Good point on the forced fumbles but most of them were in that Ravens game on Monday just like his sacks were...Plus his INT was in that Ravens game.....That is what bugs me...He had one great game and a bunch of average games...Now he played great against the Jags and thats a good sign...

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Here are his stats for 2007. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6314) You can see in nearly every game he's accounting for atleast 5-8 tackles, and you can see that most of them are solo tackles too which means once he gets his hands on you he'll bring you down. It's also apparent that in nearly every game he's atleast 1 big play: a sack, FF, int, something that he really stands out on. I think the sky is the limit for this guy and considering the shape that he's in and also take into account that he may be 29 but he hasn't gotten the chance to play for all of these years so he doesn't have the wear and tear on him that other 30 yr olds do. :yellowthumb:

Either way Im excited about our OLB potential in 2008 and Im really excited to see what Timmons can do with more playing time because he's sure to get it.

DIESELMAN
01-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Don't forget all the holding that was done against Silverback this season, hopefully that will change next year. I agree, when Woodley lines up on the other side, Harrison will be a bigger force, don't worry about his age, he doesn't have that many games under his belt, he keeps himself in shape and he is hungry.

Stlrs4Life
01-06-2008, 06:42 PM
I think Potsie had a good year considering his age.

Iron City South
01-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Why is everyone always down on Larry?.

Why? Because while he's capable of having good games, there are other games where his play is invisible .... kinda like Kiesel.

Key word here is "CONSISTENCY" ... we need to upgrade some of the talent on our starting roster. We have a ton of "Average" talent .... we don't need anymore "Average" players. We need playmakers .... players who stand out and are consistent from game to game.

For the record, I think both Foote and Kiesel would make great back-ups. Kiesel would be a hell of a Spec. Teams Captain and wedgebuster and I would like to see him go back to his old role of situational pass rusher only.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2008, 09:00 PM
I think Potsie had a good year considering his age.

He's one of the unsung hero's who last year I thought was probably on his way out of Pittsburgh soon because he just seemed to not be himself but he's had a very good year this year and has proved he can still play.

yinzer
01-06-2008, 10:06 PM
harrison and woodley are going to be nasty next year! woodley is a friggin animal and if harrison smells blood, it's big trouble for qb's.

black an gold 4 life
01-07-2008, 01:11 AM
LARRY FOOTE HAS TAKEN UP SPACE 4 4 YEARS HIM AN HAGGANS SUCK I'LL B THE FIRST ONE CLAPPING WHEN THEY GET THE BOOT:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:GET EM OUTA HERE

K Train
01-07-2008, 01:22 AM
woodley was an absolute animal last night....even plays he didnt directly make, he blew up and let other guys make them, thats what you need, a guy that makes **** happen.

Haggans just almost gets there, dives, misses and does it again, occasionally he gets there, but its usally aftger the play and a penalty lol

i like foote, hes a good coverage LB, but i expect timmons to be better than him all around soon

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-07-2008, 03:11 AM
LARRY FOOTE HAS TAKEN UP SPACE 4 4 YEARS HIM AN HAGGANS SUCK I'LL B THE FIRST ONE CLAPPING WHEN THEY GET THE BOOT:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:GET EM OUTA HERE

Foote has taken up space?? dude get off the pipe !! He has been consistent for years ,not every player is supposed to be a superstar. For every superstar there has to be players that play their position consistently without all the flash.

BTW there is a key right next to the "a" on your keyboard labeled "cap locks" try hitting it then posting. Just cause ya post in capitals doesn't make it anymore believable.:2cents:

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
01-07-2008, 09:58 AM
LB Larry Foote
General comment
“I don’t want to get fined. Watch the long quarterback sneak. Watch the middle of the defensive line, and you’ll see.”
Inaudible
“You’ll see it. Watch it. Replay that on SportsCenter, or whatever sports show it is, and watch what happened in the middle of the field.”

..I'm feeling dumb here? Did i miss something??? I haven't watched a replay yet but i don't remember seeing anything out of the norm.

JensK
01-07-2008, 10:47 AM
harrison and woodley are going to be nasty next year! woodley is a friggin animal and if harrison smells blood, it's big trouble for qb's.

I hope so! It made me happy to watch the Jaguar game, just because we started to sack the QB's again. Both woodley and harrison was on fire out there! If we keep that tempo up, the poor QBs should be afrait!

Foote havnt been consistent enough in my opinion. Its been mentioned a lot, and i completly agrees. We need playmakers! We have shown that we can keep up with almost all teams (even Patriots untill they started to make big plays, which we didnt). Now we need players who can take us past the: Keep up with, and move the next stage: Make big plays against the teams. Harrison have made some. Troy have had an "almost" season. Oh all those times hes been close to sack og intercept, but failed the very last second.

LatrobePA
01-07-2008, 10:52 AM
My kids and I got to meet Larry and shake his hand and talk to him after the SB very nice guy....I personally love the guys play, yea he'll miss a few but who doesn't.....