PDA

View Full Version : Steeler flaws exposed and on display

BlackGold4vr
01-06-2008, 02:21 AM
By Dale Lolley
For SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Jan 6, 2008

Saturday night’s playoff loss by the Pittsburgh Steelers was a microcosm of the team’s season.

They gave up a long kickoff return, failed to get anything out of their own return game, couldn’t run the ball to ice the clock, and the defense failed to stop the Jaguars late in the game with everything on the line.

Yep, that’s the 2007 Steelers in a nutshell.

But there’s nothing wrong with this team a few offseason moves can’t fix.

The Steelers don’t need a total overhaul on their offensive line, they just need to make a move or two there – starting with getting Sean Mahan out of the starting lineup.

Mahan is a good guy to have around on game days because he can play some center and guard. But he proved this season he’s not somebody to be counted on in a game-in, game-out basis.

The Steelers can fix that problem, however, by sliding Kendall Simmons – who played some very good football in the second half of this season – to center, moving Willie Colon to guard and re-signing Max Starks to play right tackle.

The fact that the coaching staff didn’t make that move during the season may be its biggest mistake of 2007.

Even when Jacksonville lost defensive tackle John Henderson early in the first quarter of the game, Mahan wasn’t even what would pass for adequate, getting pushed around by Grady Jackson and Rob Meier. That kind of stuff can’t happen.

But all season long, Tomlin talked about going with his gut feeling on decisions. In this case, his gut should have told him that kick from the 12 was the right play.

The Steelers clearly had the momentum at that point and Jacksonville still hadn’t topped 200 yards of total offense.

There was no reason to think that the Steelers wouldn’t come down and score another touchdown – which they did – and trying to score from the 12 just wasn’t the right call to make at that point.

Had the Steelers kicked there, they wouldn’t have needed to go for two after their next touchdown. They would have been up three points just by kicking the PAT.

“If I had a crystal ball and I knew we were going to lose by two, I probably would have kicked the extra point,” said Tomlin.

There was nothing wrong with the two runs by Najeh Davenport, even though they netted just four yards.

But the third-down keeper by Roethlisberger was a real clunker.

Jacksonville called timeout after the second-down run and the QB sweep was what the Steelers came up with.

“There was, particularly on the third-down play,” said Tomlin when asked if throwing the ball was discussed on that possession. “That was something we worked on all week and we felt good about it. We actually had the look and we didn’t execute it. Good job by them.”

Perhaps inserting Woodley into this defense and getting a healthy Aaron Smith back is all this defense needs to be special again.

The Steelers will make a strong effort to keep Faneca, who was tearing up when talking about the possibility of this being his last game in Pittsburgh.

The Steelers have about a month to get something done before the end of the playoffs. Look for them to try hard to make it happen.

Dale Lolley appears courtesy of the Observer-Reporter

Good article. Definitely need to get rid of Mahan, thats a given! Let Haggan go and Woodley can more than fill in at that position. First we need to resign our own pro-bowl caliber OG Alan Faneca, then we need to go out and sign a QUALITY veteran O-lineman and draft another in the first round. I think we could also use another ILB, DE and a special teams kick returner.

AZ_Steeler
01-06-2008, 02:23 AM
Probably more than half of that offensive line can can go for all I care.. which probably at least half of them will be gone anyways!

If the line does have something against Big Ben then they better get the air cleaned this off season because it's just a bunch of crap... plus Ben didn't help matters much because he did get greedy... he needs to learn to take what the defense is giving rather than trying to always go big.

Koopa
01-06-2008, 02:25 AM
i don't like the idea of simmons at center, sure he may have played good second half of the season, but that was at guard not center, center is probably a lot harder to play, we need to get a legit player that can play center not the bitches we have now

AZ_Steeler
01-06-2008, 02:26 AM
It's time to look at the draft and find the next center that is going to anchor this team for a long time to come. If they go after another free-agent then they'll be right back to where they are now. More often than not a team is letting that player walk for a reason!

Koopa
01-06-2008, 02:30 AM
It's time to look at the draft and find the next center that is going to anchor this team for a long time to come. If they go after another free-agent then they'll be right back to where they are now. More often than not a team is letting that player walk for a reason!

exactly what i said from the moment they announced that they had signed this bum

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2008, 02:58 AM
Im not convinced we need a total overhaul on the OL but I am convinced and have been convinced that drafting a Center on Day 1 is imperative; as you all mentioned as well.

I think putting Max back at RT, Colon at RG and letting Simmons battle it out with him would be a good idea. If we could bring back Alan and get him a decent Center to play beside he will be worth the money we give him again.

Other than Center my main concern is LT where Marvel is hurt all the time. Is Essex the answer? I don't know for sure but I do think Trai answerd the call tonight and played pretty well.

I watched that interview with Alan and he just seemed worn out and sad as all hell that he might not be back. Emotions were crazy after that game so after some time to chill out the team may be able to bring him back but at the same time they will have to pay for him because he's not going to give them any kind of discount at this point I don't think.

Prosdo
01-06-2008, 03:22 AM
Sean Mahan has so got to go. He is a bum. More than any place on the line that's where defenses get through.

black an gold 4 life
01-06-2008, 09:00 AM
the thing is mahan was brought n 2 replace faneca, the steelers signed him 2 an 5 year deal , this is what should happen they either draft an right tackle,or sign one n free agent move colon 2 guard, move kendall 2 center ,an marvel should b healed up by next year, we need 2 trade willie willie has no vision, we need 2 show haggans, an foote the door fast, we need 2 get 1 shut down corner n free agent draft, we need o-line an d-line depth, we need 2 find an real power back, ben needs 2 add some curls 2 his weight lifting program, we need 2 switch 2 tomlins defens or bring n rex ryan,we need 2 get an quality special teams coach, an we need an real o-line coach..................we need an c.b like mathis some one who will make an play on the ball.................if we make the right changes n the off season we will b fine trust me.....GO STEELERS

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Mahan did try out at Guard and Center, it almost seemed like they couldn't decide where to put him and when Simmons was obviously going to win the Guard job back they made Okobi a scape goat and let him go. Mahan won't be let go after just 1 year but I seriously hope this team realizes his days at Center are over if we want to go anywhere in 2008.

yinzer
01-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Sean Mahan has so got to go. He is a bum. More than any place on the line that's where defenses get through.

ben was getting sacked by a 3rd string nose tackle because mahan couldn't guard a dead polecat.

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Good article. Definitely need to get rid of Mahan, thats a given! Let Haggan go and Woodley can more than fill in at that position. First we need to resign our own pro-bowl caliber OG Alan Faneca, then we need to go out and sign a QUALITY veteran O-lineman and draft another in the first round. I think we could also use another ILB, DE and a special teams kick returner.

Mahan needs to go that is obvious, Faneca is gone unless he takes a steelers discount to sign. Watch for Chris Kemoeatu to replace him. Watch for Timmons to move inside replacing Farrior or Foote. Steelers need depth at running back. Davenport should not be the back up. Watch for the steelers to sign one mid level free agent.

Priorities for offseason.

1. Extend Ben
2. Make a run at signing Faneca
3. DO NOT WASTE A DRAFT PICK. MAKE SMART PICKS

Captcoolhand
01-06-2008, 11:40 AM
the thing is mahan was brought n 2 replace faneca, the steelers signed him 2 an 5 year deal , this is what should happen they either draft an right tackle,or sign one n free agent move colon 2 guard, move kendall 2 center ,an marvel should b healed up by next year, we need 2 trade willie willie has no vision, we need 2 show haggans, an foote the door fast, we need 2 get 1 shut down corner n free agent draft, we need o-line an d-line depth, we need 2 find an real power back, ben needs 2 add some curls 2 his weight lifting program, we need 2 switch 2 tomlins defens or bring n rex ryan,we need 2 get an quality special teams coach, an we need an real o-line coach..................we need an c.b like mathis some one who will make an play on the ball.................if we make the right changes n the off season we will b fine trust me.....GO STEELERSThis is got to be the longest unique 1 sentence I've ever read.:lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Mahan needs to go that is obvious, Faneca is gone unless he takes a steelers discount to sign. Watch for Chris Kemoeatu to replace him. Watch for Timmons to move inside replacing Farrior or Foote. Steelers need depth at running back. Davenport should not be the back up. Watch for the steelers to sign one mid level free agent.

Priorities for offseason.

1. Extend Ben
2. Make a run at signing Faneca

That's the big key right there. We already know they are planning to work on extending Ben's deal and they have said they will make a run at Faneca and Starks. However having good drafts is just absolutely crucial to this team. We simply cannot continue to draft guys that get cut in camp. If we don't start hitting home runs with some of these day 2 draft picks our problems will continue to be exposed and we will just do nothing but get older and older...

DIESELMAN
01-06-2008, 11:52 AM
I still like Faneca and think he's got 2-3 years left in him. It didn't help playin next to Mahan this year, deep down you know he was tryin to do his job and cover Mahans *** at the same time, didn't make him look good BUT Alan is still gamer.

DIESELMAN
01-06-2008, 11:59 AM

Me and BGF@32 was talkin about this a few weeks ago. Wondering who had the bigger say in last years draft? Was it Colbert or did Tomlin have a big influence over Colbert. Either way, do they keep the same strategy as far as who makes the decisions? or do they look back at possible mistakes, man up as to who made them, make adjustments to give us one kick *** draft this year? I'm hoping for the last option but who knows what goes on in the war room. Its all about whats best for the Steelers, with no egos and no hurt feelings being involved.

Stlrs4Life
01-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Probably more than half of that offensive line can can go for all I care.. which probably at least half of them will be gone anyways!

If the line does have something against Big Ben then they better get the air cleaned this off season because it's just a bunch of crap... plus Ben didn't help matters much because he did get greedy... he needs to learn to take what the defense is giving rather than trying to always go big.

I agree, a total overhaul is needed.

BlackGold4vr
01-06-2008, 12:43 PM
We need another draft like we had in 1974 that brought us 4 HOF'ers.

Lynn Swann
Jack Lambert
John Stallworth
Mike Webster

There are players available every year that could be future HOF'ers who don't ever get a chance to play. It's all about getting the opportunity to play in college so that you can gain some national recognition. With only 45 players suiting up each week to play, that is only 1440 players total in the entire league on gamedays. What percentage of those players are rookies? There are players whose talent peaks early in college and they wind up being first round busts. There are players who weren't that good in college but will develope into pro-bowl players if given the chance. Player evaluation continues to be at the forefront of successful organizations. Finding those second day, diamonds in the rough are what propel teams into greatness. We need to have a great draft and we need to let go of some of the duds who never developed into what we hoped they would. We have players who have had their opportunities and didn't take advantage of them. Time to give some new blood the same opportunities. The better the team is the harder it is to replace a veteran on the roster. We shouldn't have that problem. Where do all those back-up players earn their salt.....thats right, on special teams. Our special teams can only be catagorized as below average which means we are carrying all kinds of dead weight. Time for some spring cleaning! Take out the trash! Here are a few names we can start with.

Marquis Cooper ROLB
Jonathon Dekker TE
Andre Frazier ROLB
Clarke Haggans LOLB
Verron Haynes HB
Travis Kirschke DE
Sean Mahan C/OG
Jeremy Parquet LT
Allen Rossum RCB
Clint Kriewaldt RILB
Willie Reid FL

Any players here that we would miss tremendously?

DIESELMAN
01-06-2008, 12:51 PM
We need another draft like we had in 1974 that brought us 4 HOF'ers.

Where do all those back-up players earn their salt.....thats right, on special teams. Our special teams can only be catagorized as below average which means we are carrying all kinds of dead weight. Time for some spring cleaning! Take out the trash! Here are a few names we can start with.

Marquis Cooper ROLB
Jonathon Dekker TE
Andre Frazier ROLB
Clarke Haggans LOLB
Verron Haynes HB
Travis Kirschke DE
Sean Mahan C/OG
Jeremy Parquet LT
Allen Rossum RCB
Clint Kriewaldt RILB
Willie Reid FL

Any players here that we would miss tremendously?

How sweet would it be to have another draft like that. Our scouting dept. has been lacking for a few years now. Its easy to evaluate the next great stud coming out of college but it takes a person with that special insight and talent to see inside that hunk of charcoal. Something needs to give in our scouting dept., mediocre is NOT acceptable!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
01-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Ok.....This team needs a LT for the 1000 time....the Steelers have neglected this position way to long...Especially with this team going to a more pass oriented offense so this team needs a stout pass protecting LT.....So a LT must be drafted in the first.....A center needs drafted also.....I don't like the idea of Simmons playing center.....But I like the idea of resigning Max Starks.....

Draft a LT and a center.....Move Smith to RT....Plus move Willie Colon to OG......

I really don't expect Alan Faneca to be back and at his age I don't want him to be resigned.....

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
01-06-2008, 02:17 PM
One thing for sure is that D is alot better when Woodley is in there, with him and Harrison on the OLB spots next year we might actually get some heat on the QB, hopefully Timmons will come around too.That was one hell of a game last night and they played their hearts out which is all a true fan can ask for.Ironic the game ended with the Oline parting like the red sea and Ben taking a sack/forced fumble.Kinda puts the Cherry on top of that Oline Sh*t Sundae.