PDA

View Full Version : Rome Wasn't Built In A Day

Black@Gold Forever32
01-06-2008, 01:48 AM
As the Steelers 2007 season is now officially over with the loss to the Jags....I sit here and ponder on the positives on this season and what this team has to do to improve itself in 2008.....I'm a really vocal fan as you all know here at SA and I have to remind myself that Rome indeed wasn't built in a day.....Yes its frustrating looking back at these losses which most them were by 7 points or less (except the Pats loss)......

But there were many positives....

1. Mike Tomlin-Won the division in his rookie year as HC....No easy task for any rookie HC even if the roster is filled with many vets that won a Super Bowl just a few seasons ago....

2. Big Ben Proved He Is A Franchise QB-Yes Ben was terrible in the first half tonight....But he broke Terry Bradshaw's single season passing td record....Plus only threw 11 INTs on the season....Sucks he picked the worst time to have his worst half of the season...lol But Ben proved the doubters wrong by having a strong season after his injury plagued 2006....

3. LaMarr Woodley Is the Next Steelers Star At OLB-Just look at the game tonight and the flashes he showed throughout the season...Woodley has such great strength and seems to always push his man back when being blocked...All he needs is more playing time and we improve in the areas he need to improve in....

4. Santonio Holmes-Only in his second year....He led the team in receiving yards and receiving TDs......WRs really start to take off in their third year....Holmes will have easily over 1000 yards receiving and double digit TDs next season.....

5. The Steelers Finally Threw To The TE More-Heath Miller had a very nice season....He should even be a bigger part of the offense next year...Plus Spaeth was a nice red zone target for Ben this year....

Really the only issues for this heading into next year is rebuilding the offensive line to allow this offense to become the juggernaut it has the potential to be.....The defense despite its very high ranking this year was a fraud....Critical break downs at key moments in games...Plus not enough big plays at times.....The pass rush was very inconsistent also....But there is young talent on this defense....Both Woodley and Timmons should improve heading into their second years....Woodley will start no doubt and Timmons will play more.....I still like Anthony Smith's potential despite him struggling at the end of the season....But the key for this defense next year is for Troy Polamalu to be the force he once was....If this team wants to contend for a Super Bowl in the near future they need the Troy of 2004 and 2005.....

So here is to a kick *** off-season......I would like to see at least two to three OL drafted......A WR and some depth for the Dline.....Would be nice for the front office to spend some cash in free agency but that would be a pipe dream....Karlos Dansby to go along with our two young LBs would be sweet....lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2008, 01:54 AM
Listening to ben talk in his press conference he was glad they opened up the offense more. Then you listen to Colon who says we should have run more. You just can't please everyone...LOL.

Right now these players are just in shock at the loss and you can just see it in their faces as they talk to the media. This one will sting for a long time and how the players react to and learn from this will go a long way in 2008.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2008, 02:28 AM
I'll tell ya what else, Troy came to play tonight. He was in the backfield and blowing up running plays all night long. Considering how little he practiced this entire year the dude was extremely instrumental in our defense playing so well in throughout the game especially in the 2nd half.

I agree though we need Troy back to his old self in 2008, I think he did show signs of that finally again tonight but he is such a key to our defense.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-06-2008, 02:31 AM
I'll tell ya what else, Troy came to play tonight. He was in the backfield and blowing up running plays all night long. Considering how little he practiced this entire year the dude was extremely instrumental in our defense playing so well in throughout the game especially in the 2nd half.

I agree though we need Troy back to his old self in 2008, I think he did show signs of that finally again tonight but he is such a key to our defense.

I agree Troy wasn't the problem tonight.....I'm just saying we need play makers in this defense big time....Troy use to be that at one time....This defense needs the old Troy...He is a key for 2008..........One of the top keys in my opinion...

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2008, 02:39 AM
Absolutely, he is such a difference maker both when he's on the field and not playing well and games like tonight the the Troy we need to have in 2008 began to show up again. Along with Ryan Clark and Anthony Smith we need them all next year and we need them to show up and solidify the secondary.

Koopa
01-06-2008, 02:50 AM
Listening to ben talk in his press conference he was glad they opened up the offense more. Then you listen to Colon who says we should have run more. You just can't please everyone...LOL.

Right now these players are just in shock at the loss and you can just see it in their faces as they talk to the media. This one will sting for a long time and how the players react to and learn from this will go a long way in 2008.

we couldn't run, as i've said before dookie is a ****ing bum, unless we get a legit back up we are screwed, willie was at his best when he had a good back up and i'm sure he'll be injury prone from here on out and dookie is not a reliable starter so **** what colon wanted lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2008, 03:05 AM
Davenport had no where to run because the line couldnt open up a hole to save their lives. Without a running game Ben was running for his life again most of the night in crucial situations and still made plays.

They were between a rock and hard place tonight. No holes in the middle and not fast enough to get outside.

Koopa
01-06-2008, 03:08 AM
dookie still sucks :lol:

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-06-2008, 03:16 AM
Offense line needs to be upgraded. As for the defense. Do we have the right players to run the 3-4 correctly? :scratch:

Koopa
01-06-2008, 03:20 AM
Offense line needs to be upgraded. As for the defense. Do we have the right players to run the 3-4 correctly? :scratch:

good question, i'm starting to think we don't, keisel was a huge disappointment this year, we need two de's that can take up olinemen, this year it was just smith when healthy, leaving casey to the the rest on his own, trying to make him adalius thomas was a huge mistake....... i think we got the right linebackers too, but not sure about troy as our safety, the dude puts our db's in a lot of trouble

AZ_Steeler
01-06-2008, 03:25 AM

The only probably with Troy was he always seemed to be a step late... had he played a little more over the last few games he probably would have been even better. I'm not try to discredit him any, because he did play good but he just seemed to be a step late from making a big play.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2008, 03:31 AM
I don't think Keisel was that bad this year. He did bat down some balls this year and he got close a bunch of times but couldn't always close the deal. I think he's main problem is that he is still learning to play the position with the proper technique and leverage. He is so tall that the OL can get underneath him and drive him back so he needs to work on his technique but I'm not convinced he can't be a stud for us along with Hampton and Smith.

We do need depth at the OL badly, we need young, mean, and intimidating talent infused here to back up the 3 starters.

Prosdo
01-06-2008, 04:35 AM
I have to agree the Steelers need to fix the O-line and get a solid running back in the backfield. I don't think Najeh is the answer. I don't think Willie alone is the answer as well.

Stairwayto7
01-06-2008, 09:11 AM
W need help on both lines, before anything else!

yinzer
01-06-2008, 12:31 PM
this team does need upgraded/fixed. but, the loss last night was NOT because jacksonville just happened to be better and we were the inferior team. we lost because ben decided to go back to 2006, the defense played the swiss cheese zone the entire game, a special teams group that couldn't cover my grandmother who has 2 pieces of metal where her hips used to be, an offensive coordinator who couldn't himself tell you the identity of the steelers, and tomlin not having enough balls. did i cover everything??!! oh, by the way, bruce, nice call on that screen pass deep in the redzone where it's most dangerous to run and nice call on the benny keeper on 3rd. i'm sorry guys, i just can't take anything positive out of this loss right now and this game will probably be one of my "bitter games that i will never get over".

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]

they shouldn't be shocked. they were the ones that played like crap. or, did they forget that from the walk from the field to the locker room??

Troyisabeast_43
01-06-2008, 05:11 PM
The 2007 season is now in the history books for the Steelers. Many will spend hours, days, weeks, even months rehashing the past year, going over the what-ifs, the if-only's, and the what-might-have-beens. The Steelers finished the regular season 10-6, won the North Division, and thus made it to the playoffs. Yes, losing at home was a disappointment, but that is now in the past. There are lessons to be learned for sure, but living in the past limits the future. So.. where do we go from here?

What changes need to be made? Where do we go from here? What off-season moves are to be made, not only with-in the organization, but from outside? What are priorities for improving the team and are they to be made thru FA or the draft? There are a lot of good minds posting on this board. Let's not fall prey to the bitterness of the disappointments of the season past, but rather focus positively on the season ahead....this one will take a lil while to get over....grrrr....

i have a feeling that they might make a run at allan faneca... hopefully they make him an offer that will be fair and also be able to sign ben... I think the cap is going up about 7 million.

MDSteel15
01-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Move #1.... Bring in a REAL offensive coordinator!

yinzer
01-06-2008, 05:56 PM
the "what ifs" are pointless but should we really be scratching our heads and asking ourselves what the hell happened saturday night?? the coaching lost the game for us, not ben. we were in the game near the end and tomlin dropped the ball. i don't care about ifs either but it's pretty sad when I, who by the way am not an offensive coordinator in the nfl, can predict 85% of the steelers' plays and i'm not exaggerating.

Troyisabeast_43
01-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Because watching this SD Tenn game both of these teams cant get out of their own way and have no offense and no ability to score at all in this game. Phillip Rivers looks like a complete dud so far in this game, and the way Ben and this offense threw the ball with success against a much better Jags D then Titans D the Steelers would have definitely been able to handle Vince Young and the Titans as opposed to the Jags who pretty much for whatever reason have the Steelers number. I know since we lost its easy to sit back here and say they didnt take getting the higher seed more seriously when they should have, but when you look at it the Jags were the real 3 seed in this AFC and the Steelers pretty much played the best wildcard team of the 3 the first game last night in the Jags by not getting that 3rd seed.

ARKIESTEEL
01-07-2008, 10:30 AM
By DAVE GOLDBERG
AP Football Writer
PITTSBURGH (AP) — Dan Rooney walked down the row of lockers in the Pittsburgh Steelers’ locker room, patting shoulders, whispering words of consolation, telling the team’s distraught players there’s always a next year.
It’s called class, and Rooney and his organization exemplified it Saturday night, especially in the face of a gut-wrenching 31-29 loss to Jacksonville in the first round of the NFL playoffs.
‘‘Mike did a great job,’’ the Steelers’ 75-year-old owner said of 35-year-old Mike Tomlin, who took over as head coach for Bill Cowher, who stepped down exactly a year ago after 15 seasons on the job. ‘‘We had the right game plan, we did the right things. We had a lot of guys hurt. We just came out on the wrong side.’’
The most notable thing the Steelers did right was staying in a game that looked over in the third quarter, when Jacksonville jumped ahead 28-10. The team from the small market with few name players was favored entering the game and played like it, forcing three first-half interceptions from Ben Roethlisberger and getting brilliant play from the mercurial Maurice Jones-Drew.
But Roethlisberger came back, the Jaguars started making mistakes and Pittsburgh got three fourth-quarter touchdowns to go up 29-28; the Steelers failed twice on 2-point conversion attempts, one from the 12-yard line after a penalty on what would have been a successful conversion. They finally lost after Jacksonville quarterback David Garrard’s 32-yard run set up Josh Scobee’s 25-yard field goal to win it.
The Steelers were underdogs for an obvious reason: injuries to star running back Willie Parker, defensive end Aaron Smith, and offensive tackles Marvel Smith and Max Starks. Safety Troy Polamalu was at less than full strength. That was enough to make the Jaguars a favorite over a team that is one of the league’s most storied franchises, and a strong home team.
David was favored over Goliath, but had to work hard to advance to the next round.
Pittsburgh’s sophisticated fans understood that, and so did Rooney.
‘‘We did OK,’’ he said after he finished consoling his players, one by one. ‘‘We did the best we could with what we had and we never quit. That counts for a lot.’’
Rooney wasn’t the only one who understood that sometimes things go right and more often they go wrong. It was, after all, just two seasons ago that the Steelers won their fifth Super Bowl, doing it as a wild-card entry, getting hot when it counted the most. That year, they won their final four games just to get into the playoffs, then four more in the postseason.
‘‘There are 31 teams that end the season unhappy,’’ said linebacker James Farrior. ‘‘They just made a few more plays than we did. You stay disappointed for a while and then you start to get ready for next season. That’s all we can do.’’
Even the fans seemed to understand.
A few grumbled as they were interviewed by local television as they exited Heinz Field. A few questioned why Tomlin tried a 2-point conversion twice: if he’d kicked both times and the game finished as it did, it would have been tied at 31 and headed for overtime.
Many people put it in the same perspective exhibited by Rooney and his son, team president Art Rooney II.
‘‘It’s tough to lose,’’ the younger Rooney said. ‘‘It always is. But it’s the way this league can be. A lot of teams wouldn’t have come back the way we did.’’
True.
And a lot of teams wouldn’t have lost with such class.
Almost all of them, in fact.

[AutoMerged Post Below]
Clark Haggans and Alan Faneca played their final games as Pittsburgh Steelers. The Rooneys are making the right decision in letting both players walk via free agency. The coaching staff made a great adjustment in last night's game when they benched Haggans in favor of Lamar Woodley. Woodley brought pressure to the quarterback and finished the night with two sacks.
Steelers insider Ed Bouchette is convinced the Steelers will re-sign Max Starks. The latest rumors have the Steelers making Starks the teams starting right tackle and moving Willie Colon to guard or center. The odd-man out appears to be Sean Mahan who was awful this season.
Trai Essex, a third-string tackle who was forced into a starting role last night because of injuries to Marvel Smith and Max Starks, made a good impression. Essex was able to handle his assignments, for the most part, protecting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's blind side from the left tackle spot. Essex performed very well in the second half and most likely earned himself a roster spot next season. "We just knew what we had to do in the second half," Essex, who was drafted in the 2005 draft in the third round out of Northwestern, said. "We knew if we were going to have a chance, we had to protect Ben."
Special Teams coach Bob Ligashesky will be fired. There's no if's and but's about it. One scenario to keep an eye on is Dick Lebeau. There are some rumors going around that Lebeau might retire and Mike Tomlin has his eyes on pursuing Buccaners defensive Coordinator Monty Kiffin. Kiffin is not under contract for next season. Stay Tuned.....

JensK
01-07-2008, 10:37 AM
great post indeed! Im still sad to see Faneca go, but i suppose its for the best of both Steelers and him self. We are still building a solid team, and a team who can win championships for many years to come. Therefor i believe its ok to let Faneca go, so we can get a new young replacement.