PDA

View Full Version : Woodley making impression

Captcoolhand
01-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Rookie linebacker LaMarr Woodley registered his fourth sack of the season Sunday. That's the most by a Steelers rookie since '01, when Kendrell Bell started and had nine as the NFL's defensive rookie of the year.
Woodley, though, did not start a game and missed three with a nagging hamstring injury. His four sacks, nevertheless, were tied for third on the team and that has earned him more playing time, according to Tomlin.
"With the limited snaps he has got, he has shown he can be productive," the coach said. "Part of the reason he hasn't been in as much as we have liked or he would like is because he has been battling injury, from a hamstring standpoint, off and on over the middle and latter portion of the season.
"He is healthy now, so we are playing him. His production and play is more a product of him being healthy, as opposed to any change in our mentality of what he is capable of." Woodley has definitely left his mark on the playing field this year. but can you imagine the gouge he would/could have left if he didn't have the injuries.
He has surely impressed me more than Timmons has. I know I will be looking for him in next seasons training camp.

Friday133
01-02-2008, 08:43 AM
With his play this year, I would be confident letting Haggans walk in the off season. Timmons just needs more opportunities IMO.

TEEMONT
01-02-2008, 10:10 AM
With his play this year, I would be confident letting Haggans walk in the off season. Timmons just needs more opportunities IMO.

I instanlty fell in love with Timmons when he stepped on Ricky Williams neck, can you say Jack Lambert?

BlitzburghNation
01-02-2008, 10:16 AM

:ditto:

gapawareness
01-02-2008, 10:38 AM

Absolutely :cope:

Haggans is terrible. I would rather Martin Scorcese playing LOLB than Haggans. :banging:

Foote and Keisel should be monitored.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2008, 11:53 AM

Yeah I agree, his upside is so huge that by next year he'll be ready for full time duty.

BlackGold4vr
01-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Woodley has definitely left his mark on the playing field this year. but can you imagine the gouge he would/could have left if he didn't have the injuries.

I like these converted DE's we call tweeners. Lamar Woodley is like a young Adalius Thomas. I believe the added size, weight and strength make them a tougher task to block for opposing O-lineman. I think Woodley will replace Haggans in the line-up next year and that we can expect to see great things from Lamar next year!

Timmons is an unknown quantity in my book. Haven't seen enough of him to make any judgements about him. I know he plays special teams but I haven't seen him make a lot of big hits there yet. James Farrior is playing his 11th season and is a couple days away from 33. I imagine Timmons will be groomed to replace him as an inside linebacker even though the roster has him listed as a ROLB. :2cents:

Captcoolhand
01-02-2008, 06:27 PM
I like these converted DE's we call tweeners. Lamar Woodley is like a young Adalius Thomas. I believe the added size, weight and strength make them a tougher task to block for opposing O-lineman. I think Woodley will replace Haggans in the line-up next year and that we can expect to see great things from Lamar next year!

Timmons is an unknown quantity in my book. Haven't seen enough of him to make any judgements about him. I know he plays special teams but I haven't seen him make a lot of big hits there yet. James Farrior is playing his 11th season and is a couple days away from 33. I imagine Timmons will be groomed to replace him as an inside linebacker even though the roster has him listed as a ROLB. :2cents:
I couldn't have said it better....
Woodley has shown the abilities to take Foote's job and definitely Haggens. and Farrior isn't getting younger but come next season at training camp will prove who's in and who's out. Tomlin should be telling these Back-up that they are be watched for next year and I'll bet they will play better.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-02-2008, 06:31 PM
I really like Woodley and he has looked good in the little playing he has received this season...I have been screaming for both Woodley and Timmons to get more playing time lately......Woodley will start next year and I expect Timmons to be in the mix as well...You might see Timmons move from OLB to ILB at times next year......I just want to see his speed and hitting ability on the field next year...

Captcoolhand
01-02-2008, 06:33 PM
I really like Woodley and he has looked good in the little playing he has received this season...I have been screaming for both Woodley and Timmons to get more playing time lately......Woodley will start next year and I expect Timmons to be in the mix as well...You might see Timmons move from OLB to ILB at times next year......I just want to see his speed and hitting ability on the field next year...
If Woodley starts who will he start in front of?

Black@Gold Forever32
01-02-2008, 06:45 PM
If Woodley starts who will he start in front of?

I don't even know why you have to ask this question....:scratch: Woodley would start over Clark Haggans.....They have the same sack total.....Plus Timmons should start over Foote at ILB...Its not like this defense has been playing great recently with the vets in there....I would like to seen these young players get game experience.....

BB2W
01-02-2008, 07:02 PM
I look forward to seeing Wood taking all the snaps at OLB. :yesnod:

Captcoolhand
01-02-2008, 07:10 PM
I don't even know why you have to ask this question....:scratch: Woodley would start over Clark Haggans.....They have the same sack total.....Plus Timmons should start over Foote at ILB...Its not like this defense has been playing great recently with the vets in there....I would like to seen these young players get game experience.....
I agree but why not Woodley inside? Foote holds his own but Woodley has shown more promise. Foote was only put there because he was the best at that poisition.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-02-2008, 07:18 PM
I agree but why not Woodley inside? Foote holds his own but Woodley has shown more promise. Foote was only put there because he was the best at that poisition.

Because Woodley would be best at OLB....His strength is rushing the passer....The main job for an OLB in a 3-4 is to rush the QB....

Captcoolhand
01-02-2008, 07:20 PM
I look forward to seeing Wood taking all the snaps at OLB. :yesnod:
I'm sure he will but can he beat Farrior out or just Haggans?and will Tomlin play the same role of Cowher and try to convert Positions.:dunno:

Captcoolhand
01-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Because Woodley would be best at OLB....His strength is rushing the passer....The main job for an OLB in a 3-4 is to rush the QB....
so switching to left side for Haggans to replace right side would improve?Interesting!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2008, 09:12 PM

:plus1: Woodley is a converted lineman in college now playing in the 34. He was drafted to an OLB in our system just like players like Gildon, Lloyd, were in the past. Most of the OLB's in a 34 are converted smaller DL in college.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-02-2008, 10:48 PM
so switching to left side for Haggans to replace right side would improve?Interesting!

What are you even talking about?:lol: Haggans plays LOLB....Woodley is the main backup at LOLB.....So Woodley would be taking Haggans spot in the lineup....Its not that hard to figure out...lol

Zachintosh66
01-02-2008, 10:50 PM
I think Timmons is there to replace Farrior. Hes gotta be 32-33ish by now. How much more on his contract does he have?

MDSteel15
01-03-2008, 01:45 AM
I think Timmons is there to replace Farrior. Hes gotta be 32-33ish by now. How much more on his contract does he have?

Farrior had an above average year this year! Don't throw him to the dogs just yet...:plus1:

Stairwayto7
01-03-2008, 05:45 AM

EXACTLY! Haggans is done! He is the weakest link!

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
01-03-2008, 08:37 AM
we can speculate all we want about Woodley starting next year but the fact of the matter is if Tomlin still wants to run the 3-4 they will HAVE to start him.The LB core thats out there now cannot run that 3-4 defense, i always said you need special players to run that scheme effectively, not a bunch of middle age mediocre LB's, Harrison can stay..Start Woodley and see who wants it more in camp for the rest of the spots. Right now we have a decent,semi consistant pack of bulldogs back there, problem is you need a few pitbulls to run the 3-4.(insert vick joke here)

Farrior has been a great player for us..and would love for him to stay and be a mentor/backup type...but he just doesn't seem to get those guys fired up before games, i watched a couple of pregame hype circles and it just isn't the same with Farrior ranting in there...maybe they can fly in Porter for a Motivational Van down by the River type speech..lol.

Whatever happens i love this team till the end and will support them regardless of what happens! :newhere:

steelcitysfinestXL
01-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Im not sure what the hell everyone is talking about but let me try to inject my opinion:

LOLB- Wood will start!!! Look at Haggans and compare him to Peezy, play has declined, there is an interesting young talent behind him and he went into his final contract year and he hasnt been signed yet!!!! I think its obvious he's gone!!!!

MLBs- Foote and Farrior- I mean really, if it wasnt for Ray'Lews name Farrior was the next wise choice for 2nd string MLB at the probowl!!!! He has had his best year as a steeler yet!!! Foote may not be flashy but his play is consistant!!!! Timmons has done nothing to unseat him and unless he has a phenominal camp i think he is looking at backup duties once again!!! Hopefully he will get alot more reps but he has shown NOTHING YET!!!!

ROLB-Silverback- W/ the year that he has had, this position is locked up for a few years, I would like to see timmons play a lil behind him too for coverage reasons!!!

With a healthy Aaron smith I think Wood will be a BEAST next year!!!! Timmons has to dedicate this offseason to proving he can excel in this D!!!

TEEMONT
01-03-2008, 10:27 AM

I think you guys are getting on ole Larry a bit too hard here. Foote has not been doin a bad job. Farrior isnt getting any younger, I think he will be what, 35 next year? Mmaybe Timmons steps in for him. Foote is still a serviceable starter in this league.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-03-2008, 11:33 AM
I think you guys are getting on ole Larry a bit too hard here. Foote has not been doin a bad job. Farrior isnt getting any younger, I think he will be what, 35 next year? Mmaybe Timmons steps in for him. Foote is still a serviceable starter in this league.

Dude you took my take the wrong way...I never said Foote was a bad player...But to me he doesn't make enough big plays....I don't think I have to tell in a 3-4 the LBs have to be the play makers for this defense to excel to its highest level.....With Timmon's speed and hitting ability he can be a big time play maker in this defense....If Foote remains the starter at ILB ok thats alright but I think you would agree we need more big plays from this LB core.....

black an gold 4 life
01-03-2008, 02:23 PM
WE WOULD B CRAZY 2 LET FARRIOR GO EVEN THOUGH HE'S 35 LET HIM SCHOOL WOODLEY AN TIMMONS,FOOTE AN HAGGANS BOTH SHOULD B SHOWNED THE DOOR THEY R THE REASON WERE NOT GETTING STOPS I CAN'T COUNT THE TIMES FOOTE HAS MISS AN SACK OR TACKLE AN HE'S BEEN DOING IT HIS WHOLE CAREER, HAGANS HAS ALLWAYS BEEN AN 2 STRING PLAYER, AN FOOTE HAS AS BAD HANDS AS IKE TAYLOR, WE NEED SOME YOUTH BACK THERE WOODLEY AN TIMMONS WILL BE BEASTS BACK THERE 4 US NEXT YEAR..............................BUT THEY NEED FARRIOR HE'S AN WARRIOR .......................

MDSteel15
01-05-2008, 11:15 PM
He is a freaking beast tonight. He's everywhere..... :tt02: :cope: :tt02: :cope:

BB2W
01-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Woodley is a monster!... I can't wait until he plays full-time. Clark is gone. :helmet:

Second sack tonight?...

Black@Gold Forever32
01-05-2008, 11:17 PM
I have beens screaming for him to play more all season...I know he was hurt for awhile...But he is so freaking strong he is a monster....

BlitzburghRockCity
01-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Welcome to the starting lineup in 2008 Woodley! The dude has been on fire all night long, his 2 sacks tonight we're crucial.

BB2W
01-05-2008, 11:19 PM
I can't wait until he plays full-time!... Clark is gone and we are gonna be better because of it. :yellowthumb:

Stairwayto7
01-05-2008, 11:48 PM
Haggans is on a billboard tomorrow! Have you seen this man!

MDSteel15
01-05-2008, 11:50 PM
With Tyrone Carter right next to him!:eyecrazy:

DIESELMAN
01-05-2008, 11:51 PM
Bringin Da Wood!!!!! He had a hell of a game, visions of next years slaughter will make me sleep easier.

black an gold 4 life
01-06-2008, 12:10 AM
yes he is lamarr woodley is an beast, i just hope that timmons gets up 2 speed soon...............we need one shut down corner just one:cursin:haggans an foote both should b kicked out 2 morrow, they both have been wasting space 4 atleast 4 years now,next year we will b an power house on defense watch what i'm saying...........

yinzer
01-06-2008, 12:12 AM
ha ha! it's fun to jest when our team just lost again, isn't it???!!!! PLAYOFFS, PEOPLE, PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!!!!!!

LatrobePA
01-06-2008, 12:12 AM
If our coaches played him all season he'd been rookie of the year...NO DOUBT!

K Train
01-06-2008, 12:50 AM
hes gonna be great...he couldnt be stopped, he even blew up plays that other guys ended up making....wow is all i can say for his performance tonight

Black@Gold Forever32
01-06-2008, 12:51 AM
hes gonna be great...he couldnt be stopped, he even blew up plays that other guys ended up making....wow is all i can say for his performance tonight

Woodley's strength and Timmons speed should be huge keys to this defense next year.....

TampaSteelGirl
01-06-2008, 12:52 AM
He did great! It seems that after Haggans came out from playing horrible that Woodley and the defense started clicking! Glad to see him in! :tt02:

stillers4me
01-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Woodley is making wish it was September already! Bring on the Wood!

BRICKTOWN BEAST
01-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Woodley and Harrison should defetly be on the outside. haha is there any chance Timmons can be moved to a MLB cause he seems like a lost cause to me right now.

Captcoolhand
01-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Dude was awesome last night and for most of the season. If only we could have got out of our #1 pick what we got from #2, we would have been great!
But hey, next season will be here soon enough and I know they will both be bringing the Heat.:yellowthumb: