PDA

View Full Version : Starks is out for the year

BB2W
01-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Steelers' starting left tackle Max Starks' knee injury is serious enough that he will not play again this season, coach Mike Tomlin said.

Starks has a meniscus injury that will require surgery.

Also, the Steelers will place special teams captain Clint Kriewaldt on injured reserve with a continuing neck injury.

The Steelers will sign two players to replace them on their 53-man roster.

Starks is the second left tackle the Steelers have lost. Regular starter Marvel Smith cannot play after having back surgery last week, although he has not yet been placed on injured reserve.

Starks' left knee injury means that Trai Essex, who played the final three quarters in Baltimore, likely will start at left tackle Saturday night in the first playoff game at Heinz Field in three years.

link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08001/845874-66.stm

BlitzburghRockCity
01-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Wow this is bad, really bad. We only have 3 tackles on the roster with any game significant game experience and now 2 of them are out. Essex better be ready to play and show up big time this weekend. I guess now we'll really find out if all these years of him sitting behind the starters has paid off or not...

Stlrs4Life
01-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Boy, happy near year huh? Well, you're right TG, we'll find out what Essex is made of.

Captcoolhand
01-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Man I can't remember the last time this many players has been put on IR. this sucks!

Troyisabeast_43
01-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Wow this is bad, really bad. We only have 3 tackles on the roster with any game significant game experience and now 2 of them are out. Essex better be ready to play and show up big time this weekend. I guess now we'll really find out if all these years of him sitting behind the starters has paid off or not...

Essex has played before and done okay for the most part a few years back when Marvel Smith was injured during the year of the Super Bowl. He did a nice job the other night in Baltimore when Starks went out as well from what I saw. This is pretty much the best option the Steelers have for now is playing Essex at left tackle as opposed to moving Faneca over there for this game. By doing that you then weaken two positions as opposed to one. Faneca needs to stay at guard and do what he does best and this you gotta figured this team has kept Trai Essex around for a reason and he is a third round pick so its time to find out what he can do once in for all in a playoff game against a pretty good D.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Essex has played before and done okay for the most part a few years back when Marvel Smith was injured during the year of the Super Bowl. He did a nice job the other night in Baltimore when Starks went out as well from what I saw. This is pretty much the best option the Steelers have for now is playing Essex at left tackle as opposed to moving Faneca over there for this game. By doing that you then weaken two positions as opposed to one. Faneca needs to stay at guard and do what he does best and this you gotta figured this team has kept Trai Essex around for a reason and he is a third round pick so its time to find out what he can do once in for all in a playoff game against a pretty good D.

Essex did look solid vs the Ravens......Steelers just need to run quick slants since I'm sure that front four of the Jags will win their match ups with the Steelers OL....

Koopa
01-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Essex did look solid vs the Ravens......Steelers just need to run quick slants since I'm sure that front four of the Jags will win their match ups with the Steelers OL....

to bad ben refuses to throw quick passes, it's either a 40 yard bomb or a sack for this dude

BlitzburghRockCity
01-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Essex may be the best option right now at RT but it still doesn't make me feel better having him out there. The only significant playing time he's gotten was a a few years, or in preseason. The other night against Baltimore he did OK but it wasn't like Batch still wasn't being pressured. Hey if the kid steps up and plays great than that's awesome, Im pulling for him but Im not just not that confident right now. Hopefully he kicks ***.

LeXX75
01-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Faneca needs to stay at guard and do what he does best

miss blocks?

LatrobePA
01-01-2008, 06:24 PM
miss blocks?

LMAO!! I agree, our line looked much better when they pulled his sorry *** out last week.

Silverback 92
01-01-2008, 07:51 PM
wonderful more crappy news

BlitzburghRockCity
01-01-2008, 08:06 PM
You can bet your last dollar that Alan is taking snaps at LT this week too just in case Essex gets hurt or can't do the job and he needs to take over.

TEEMONT
01-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Any word on Capizzi?

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Caprizzi is in Cleve. I thought?? THat really sucks losing Starks he was finally doing something good.

Koopa
01-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Any word on Capizzi?

i googled his name and it said he was on teh chiefs practice squad as of november 8th

TEEMONT
01-01-2008, 08:46 PM
i googled his name and it said he was on teh chiefs practice squad as of november 8th

I know he was raw, but man we shoulda kept him....

BlitzburghRockCity
01-01-2008, 09:11 PM
I can't remember the last time we had so many people hurt this bad at the end of the season. At the rate we're losing players if we do make it past the wildcard round we're going to have to hold open tryouts ;)

MDSteel15
01-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Whoa whoa whoa! Slow down guys. If I remember correctly, didn't Mahan play other than Center for Tampa? Can't we put Kemo at C and move Mahan to Gaurd and Faneca to Tackle? Just a thought.

catlabman
01-03-2008, 07:38 AM
It looks like Tomlin is promoting players for the O-line from the practice squad and signing rookies to fill in. hope these players are up to it.:crossfingers:

DIESELMAN
01-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Trai played a solid game against Suggs, Batch wasn't sacked and only hit twice in that game. Essex has the confidence, if he still has the same play in him from 2005 when he filled in for Smith to jump start our SB run then we got no problems there. He's come a long ways from showing up to camp out of shape and dropping on the depth chart behind Colon, he's been working his *** off and the Balt. game proved it.

Sidenote: Of the 12 teams ranked at the bottom of the league in protecting their quarterback, the Steelers are the only one in the playoffs.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-06-2008, 12:30 AM
Essex showed me something tonight, the guy battled and battled all night long and especially in the 2nd half with so much hurry up offense being run he was all alone and he did pretty damn decent if you ask me. Sure he got beat a few times but overall I think he took a major step forward tonight in helping to solidfy the offensive line in the midst of probable offseason changes.

BB2W
01-06-2008, 12:33 AM
Essex showed me something tonight, the guy battled and battled all night long and especially in the 2nd half with so much hurry up offense being run he was all alone and he did pretty damn decent if you ask me. Sure he got beat a few times but overall I think he took a major step forward tonight in helping to solidfy the offensive line in the midst of probable offseason changes.Essex looked pretty good and you have to consider the cost. I just hope they improve the o-line no matter what it takes.

K Train
01-06-2008, 12:46 AM
i like essex to have a shot at guard next year, i think he could be a dominating guard