PDA

View Full Version : Can the Steelers flip the switch come Saturday night at Heinz Field???

Troyisabeast_43
12-31-2007, 10:58 PM
I have VERY guarded optimism regarding Saturday nite and the rest of these playoffs. The fact is, the Jags probably do match up better against us than we do them which spells trouble. To me it doesn't matter really that much that we have them at home again, it's all about which team controls the other and through theses past severals years when these teams play each other, the Jags have flat out had our number with LeBeau as DC. This games worries me bigtime probably more so than the possible rematch with the Pats!

I would like to know why so many people on here (besides your undying loyalties) believe that the Steelers can simply flip the switch and correct all of the mistakes in their game that has plagued them all year? So can the Steelers in your heart of hearts flip these switches below?

1. Can't stop the run.

2. Can't get enough pressure on the QB.

3. Can't keep Ben off his backside.

4. Can't stop the big pass play.

5. Can't win in the special teams dept.

6. Can't call a better game.

7. Can't get enough turnovers.

This team has to excel and be able to 'somehow' flip the switch on most if not all of these areas and I don't see it happening. Even IF we beat the Jags, does anyone in the heart of hearts believe we can go into NE and beat them? If so, HOW!

------------------------------------------------------------
[AutoMerged Post Below]
------------------------------------------------------------
It's going to come down to HOW BAD DO THE PLAYERS WANT IT ?

That is the question and we will find out this coming Sat night.

It all comes down to the players not the coaching staff on this one. Do they do their tackles and not miss ? Does Ben get the ball out and not hold on to it so long ? Does the WR's run their right routes ? Does special teams not fumble and get the guys tackled ? Does Defense stop the run or just let them run past them ?

If the players dont do any of those things then its the players that dont want it bad enough not the coaching staff. Imo.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-01-2008, 01:20 AM
You can't just flip a switch and decide to start playing. You either have it in you or you don't. If we have in us then where the hell has it been for the last 2 months of the season because ever since the Ratbird game it's been MIA if you ask me.

We tried to "flip that switch" last night against Baltimore and we couldn't do it. We had to flip it against Cleveland a month ago and we barely came out with the win. We tried to flip it against the Jets and we couldn't. Do you see the trend here? This team starts out slow and has done so since the midway part of the season and since then we've stunk up the joint most of the time. You don't just suddenly decide to play physical. If you're not a physical team then you're not. If you are then you are...but the way I see if this team suddenly does find a way to play tough again I'm going to throw a damn fit and ask where in the hell it's been all year !

black an gold 4 life
01-01-2008, 07:06 AM
like i said earlier mike tomlin worked the boys 2 hard,but he had 2 put his stamp on the team an let them know this is his club, remember he is an rookie 1st year head coach......................with the right adjustments we will b n the superbowl hunt next year 4 sure, hey if ben starts out passing we can beat these jags if not i'm not mad, i'm just glad these clowns didn't get n lol...............

Captcoolhand
01-01-2008, 08:02 AM
The bottem line is.... Teams don't beat the Steelers the Steelers beat themselves.:banging:
We all can go on about this that or the other but we are our worst enemy.:cursin:

*Rookie Head Coach,
*Ben's a Rookie in doing his own play calling.
*Arians acting more like a HC than a OC and that's F*cked up in itself,
*Etc. Etc.
Just these 3 things alone is messed up....No Communication!
There were many games this year that you had to think, "Who in the hell are calling these plays?" :scratch:

It was Jeff Reed's fault, nobody ask him what to do...Damn it, we let him off the hook!:willybs:

TEEMONT
01-01-2008, 08:11 AM
The bottem line is.... Teams don't beat the Steelers the Steelers beat themselves.:banging:
We all can go on about this that or the other but we are our worst enemy.:cursin:

*Rookie Head Coach,
*Ben's a Rookie in doing his own play calling.
*Arians acting more like a HC than a OC and that's F*cked up in itself,
*Etc. Etc.
Just these 3 things alone is messed up....No Communication!
There were many games this year that you had to think, "Who in the hell are calling these plays?" :scratch:

It was Jeff Reed's fault, nobody ask him what to do...Damn it, we let him off the hook!:willybs:

I don't even know what the **** you just said, but damn it was beautiful.

I do agree 100% with you though, seriously. I don' tthink Tomlin is aas big of a deal as the other two though. Ben calling his own plays, and Arians bing the one who keeps him in check is a huge issue though.

Captcoolhand
01-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Maybe it's just to early Tee but thanks for letting me off the Hook. :yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-01-2008, 01:23 PM
It's all growing pains of having a new coach and staff. We've been blessed ( well mostly) for not having to have gone through this for the last 15 years because we kept the same coach around and just brought in new staff here and there when it was needed.

This is what every team goes through with a new coach and a new philosphy regardless of how much or little we all want things to stay the same. It's not the end of the world here but we all should have forseen growing pains with a new coach and staff and that's what we are seeing right now. A new HC who is trying to feel out his new team and staff and figure out what he needs to do, players who are adjusting to new roles, some who need to step back, some who need replaced, some who just aren't who we hoped they'd be, etc. It will take time, going 10-6 in your first year after a terrible season last year ain't all that bad.

There is much work to be done, we're just not used to going through it....

Stlrs4Life
01-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Lot of good points made. I agree with TG, this team has looked lousy from the first meeting versus Baltimore.

SteelersWoman
01-02-2008, 02:31 AM
like i said earlier mike tomlin worked the boys 2 hard...............

According to half of the reports I read, Mike really didn't work them much harder than Bill did (if at all in some areas). Besides--how would you explain the Pats going 16-0--those guys have worked twice as hard as ANY team during this whole time?

Heck, BB even had them practicing in full pads the day before their 16th game...so I'm sorry, but even if it WERE true that Mike had a harder camp, no way in heck that our guys have worked as hard as the Pats have in camp AND all season long, so I don't buy into the idea that it was "over-work" early on that caused a problem. If anything, perhaps there wasn't enough hard work/hard practices all along.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2008, 06:02 AM
These injuries hardly have anything to do with being worked too hard earlier in the year. Every player deals with injuries for one reason or another. Some are chronic and others just happen, it's part of the game. Granted we seem to have more than our share of them happening at the wrong time this year and to key players on both sides but hopefully this will re-emphasize the importance of much we need to draft better and get some quality FA's in here.

As far as this weekend goes all these backups that will be playing need to flip that switch and get after people because we need them to come through.

Captcoolhand
01-02-2008, 08:36 AM
These injuries hardly have anything to do with being worked too hard earlier in the year. Every player deals with injuries for one reason or another. Some are chronic and others just happen, it's part of the game. Granted we seem to have more than our share of them happening at the wrong time this year and to key players on both sides but hopefully this will re-emphasize the importance of much we need to draft better and get some quality FA's in here.
I agree but having our field the way it is i'm sure played a big part in this also.

steelcitysfinestXL
01-02-2008, 09:24 AM
I might be crazy, but i DO think we CAN "turn the switch on " this week... ONLY because we're making physical errors not mental ones. Missed tackles, poor blocking techniques, dropped INTs fumbles and so on!!! These are things they can correct easily!!! Why they havent got a handle on it yet, i have no clue!!!

There has been an underlying message in every player interview since about the Pats game... "Just get in the playoffs", "Get in the Tournament" thats basically all you have heard from the more veteran players on this team like Diesel, Hines, Faneca and the likes!!! Lets hope they know what they have to do to get this "W" cause i for one am nowhere near ready for this season to be over!!!!!

TampaSteelGirl
01-02-2008, 11:51 AM
[QUOTE=Captcoolhand;173361]The bottem line is.... Teams don't beat the Steelers the Steelers beat themselves.:banging:
We all can go on about this that or the other but we are our worst enemy.:cursin:QUOTE]

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Ambridge
01-02-2008, 03:50 PM
I don't know about flipping a switch but the Steelers can have a fighting chance if they don't commit stupid and costly penalties.....the special teams doesn't give up big kick-off and punt returns and the defense makes solid first contact tackles.

BTW-Ben has to have a huge game throwing on the run and that means no dropped balls from any of the receivers.

Iron City South
01-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Don't make mistakes

and

Capatalize on the mistakes of the Jags

Considering our injuries and our ability to suck on defense lately, we need both of these to happen to have a chance.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2008, 09:08 PM
The Jags don't normally beat themselves so it's imperative for us to not make any mistakes. The possibility of the 2nd option happening is somewhat remote although anything is possible. If this game is close it's going to come down to who makes the big mistake near the end of the game to solidfy the win for the other team.