PDA

View Full Version : Black, gold -- and blacked out

AZ_Steeler
09-22-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm not sure how many of you live in central PA, but if you planned to watch the game (Steelers vs Bengals) at home, better start making other arrangements unless of course you want to watch the Browns and Ravens??? BTW... you can thank the NFL for this one!

http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews (http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1158812713152800.xml&coll=1)

The sight of the archrival Cincinnati Bengals at Heinz Field is enough to get the Terrible Towel-toting Steelers faithful foaming at the mouth.

Midstate Steelers fans expecting to catch their beloved black and gold on TV, however, are going to be seeing red.

Sunday's National Football League game between the defending Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers and the AFC North champion Cincinnati Bengals will not air on local television.

"It is the NFL's decision," said Lou Castriotta, director of operations and programming at WHP, Channel 21.

"The NFL designated the Harrisburg area as a secondary Baltimore Ravens market. Since Baltimore is the visiting team on Sunday, we're mandated by the NFL to air the Ravens [at Cleveland Browns] game."

The Baltimore-Cleveland game will air at 4 p.m. The Bengals-Steelers game has a 1 p.m. kickoff, but CBS isn't designated for a doubleheader Sunday.

"It's an unfortunate circumstance," Castriotta said. "If CBS had a doubleheader Sunday, this wouldn't be a problem. We would definitely air both games."

Fans who subscribe to DirecTV's NFL Sunday Ticket or who wish to visit local establishments with satellites will be able to watch the game.

Those who don't can listen to Steelers-Bengals coverage on radio station WTPA, 93.5 FM. The pregame show begins at 11 a.m., and the game is followed by postgame coverage as well.

Hburg
09-22-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm not sure how many of you live in central PA, but if you planned to watch the game (Steelers vs Bengals) at home, better start making other arrangements unless of course you want to watch the Browns and Ravens??? BTW... you can thank the NFL for this one!

http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews (http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1158812713152800.xml&coll=1)

That's my area! This has been a problem for a while in HBG because the NFL has some stupid idea that because Baltimore is closer to Harrisburg than Pittsburgh the city is part of the raven fanbase. That couldn't be farther from the truth! I would put the breakdown at 60% Steelers, 35% Eagles, and 5% Ravens. Amazing that me bein in DE right now actually helps me see the game! I know my dad is goin to be mad about this! Did someone tell TG? It pisses me off that the NFL does this and prevents the Capital Area from seein the BlackNGold! I'll feel lucky for now but ASAP as I can afford and install it I'm gettin DirecTV!

BuFu

SteelersfaninPhilly
09-22-2006, 05:42 PM
This has been going on for years. So anyone up for some mass emailing?

BlitzburghRockCity
09-22-2006, 07:24 PM
We're used to this in central PA. Ive know the program director of WHP CBS, and I have some connections there too from working with the cable company. Trust me, WHP knows there's more Steeler fans here and everytime the Steelers aren't on, we raise hell with the league. I've got the NFL's number that you can call to complain too if anybody wants it. It's at my desk at work !

Thank GOD !! 93.5 WTPA is Steelers radio network station so I'll be listening on the radio and following along here on SA on sunday!

If there was ever yet another reason to hate Baltimore, this is it !! Those bat rastard purple wearing jailbirds !!!! :cursin:

House of Steel
09-22-2006, 07:46 PM
We aren't getting the game here in Cleveland either. I feel for you guys. I absolutely hate it.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-22-2006, 08:16 PM
If I didn't work for the cable company I'd get direct TV just for the sunday ticket !

House of Steel
09-22-2006, 08:19 PM
I found my rabbit ears, I am going to see if I can get WKBN 27 in from Youngstown since we are only 50 miles from there. I am also going to try KDKA, but that is going to become impossible since it is going to rain and it will interfere with the rabbit ears abilities. I've a few times been lucky to get KDKA on bright, blue clear sky day. I even got Toledo and Detroit in once. It has a range frequency of 135 miles so I can only wish. LOL. Wish me luck.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-22-2006, 08:38 PM
If the wife wasn't working on sunday I'd be my favorite hangout watching the game with all the Steeler fans...but me and 4 yr old will wave our towels right here..and you can bet your last dollar Im not tuning into WHP for the ratbirds !

House of Steel
09-22-2006, 08:45 PM
I sure wouldn't, that game is on at 4 15 here in Cleveland. That is the last game I want to watch. Can you get the Philadelphia station from where your at, Matt? May I suggest rabbit ears since you aren't that far from there?

BlitzburghRockCity
09-22-2006, 08:53 PM
Fox is the NFC affiliate here, Fox 43, they carry all the Eagle games every week so yeah they are always on unfortunately. WJZ13 out of balitmore will be carrying the ratbirds too so Im outta luck.

House of Steel
09-22-2006, 09:09 PM
You don't get the CBS station out of Philadelphia? They will be televising the Steelers.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-22-2006, 09:39 PM
Nope, we get 2 CBS stations, 1 fox, 2 NBC and 2 ABC.

House of Steel
09-22-2006, 09:48 PM
SHEESH!!! That sucks.

Steelersfan
09-23-2006, 12:06 AM
If I didn't work for the cable company I'd get direct TV just for the sunday ticket !

What's that got to do with anything? Get the Sunday Ticket! The "red zone" channel they have with it is awesome! Goes to whatever game has someone in the RZ! You never miss any scoring with that channel....lol I used it last Sunday since the Steelers weren't on.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-23-2006, 12:10 AM
Ive thought about it before and was actually planning on getting it this year but when my company got sold I figure I still need to feel out the new owners alittle more and get the low down on others that have it who work there...from a PR standpoint.

Steelersfan
09-23-2006, 12:19 AM
Let me guess, Time Warner bought your company out? We just switched over to them up here after they bought Adelphia. Last I heard they dropped NFL Network because they couldn't get a deal done. I'm so glad I have DTV instead of cable! Even though I do have basic cable for the local channels.

Steelerlyn
09-23-2006, 12:20 AM
What's that got to do with anything? Get the Sunday Ticket! The "red zone" channel they have with it is awesome! Goes to whatever game has someone in the RZ! You never miss any scoring with that channel....lol I used it last Sunday since the Steelers weren't on.

I agree with you nothing beats that red zone feature!~

Steelersfan
09-23-2006, 12:22 AM
See what you are missing TG!......lol

House of Steel
09-23-2006, 12:24 AM
I guess I will need to hit the lottery before I can afford Direct TV. I hate Time Warner, we have that here in Cleveland after they bought out Adelphia. I hate the fact that they couldn't get a deal to go through for the NFL network.

Steelersfan
09-23-2006, 12:25 AM
I guess I will need to hit the lottery before I can afford Direct TV. I hate Time Warner, we have that here in Cleveland after they bought out Adelphia. I hate the fact that they couldn't get a deal to go through for the NFL network.

Why HoS? It is just as cheap if not cheaper than cable.

House of Steel
09-23-2006, 12:27 AM
Try telling my brother in law that one. He insist we keep Time Warner cause of his e mail account :blah:

Steelersfan
09-23-2006, 12:29 AM
You can keep them for internet. Your TV would just be through DTV. That's what I do. Cable internet and DTV for tv.

House of Steel
09-23-2006, 12:30 AM
We can't afford both.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-23-2006, 06:25 AM
If you have satellite for TV, you gotta have cable for your internet. Satellite broadband sux, costs over 70.00 a month, well over 500.00 to get it installed, and speeds are nowhere near the average cable modem speed on a daily basis.

Captcoolhand
09-23-2006, 09:28 AM
Try telling my brother in law that one. He insist we keep Time Warner cause of his e mail account :blah:
does he live with you or something or does he just pay the bill.

House of Steel
09-23-2006, 09:31 AM
He lives with us along with my mother in law, and grandmother in law, there is 5 of us. He don't pay a damn thing as far as bill. My mother in law pays the cable. Don't ask me why. He is living home free here.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-23-2006, 09:33 AM
Oh that would stop in short order. Everybody living in the house contributes to the household, therefore should do their part to take care of expenses in some form or fashion ! That's not right that they get to stay in your house for nothing while you and the wife worry about taking care of everyone.

Blitzburgh55
09-23-2006, 09:39 AM
I get to watch it im very close to geting the jets game though but i get to watch the steelers

House of Steel
09-23-2006, 09:41 AM
Matt, it is a very long story. We get into a lot of fights about this. My mother in law has a favortism thing going with her son over her daughter. I got on her about this I don't know how many times. My brother in law and I have gotten into it real ugly. My wife and I have learned to accept the the way things are. Now you understand why we can't afford to go out or get clothes that we deseperately need and etc. I feel down the road, there is a rainbow in that black cloud over us and we will reap the rewards. I was told when I turn 36-37 years of age, I am going to become filthy rich beyond my dreams. So far these Psychics did a 12 month analysis on my wife and I, every damn prediction has been right on the money, so now I was doubting them, NO WAY!!! They are 100% on the money accurate so far and we are in our 7th month and things are going exactly what they said would happen. It is unbelieveable. I got 4 years to wait for my big payday. I know it don't sound right, but I can't control what goes on in this household. However, it makes me damn sick when he makes $1,200 bi-weekly and use the excuse of Oh I have tons of bills, yeah a car payment and a land payment he isn't even going to have the luck to build a home on. That damn thing is $450 a month. He is so damn stupid anymore. They are going to sell the land sometime soon. He is suppose to get over $5,000 for it I was told, so he might put that on a house to get a loan approve for his own home. Once my wife's grandmother passes, I think we are moving back to an apartment or a cheap home. She is 92 years of age and her health is not good. We are taking our days one day at a time.

BlitzburghRockCity
09-23-2006, 11:19 AM
Sounds like you're doing the best you can and coping with all the stress. That's all you can do sometimes. I hope it works out for ya and you get that big pay day !

House of Steel
09-23-2006, 11:25 AM
:greengrin: When that big payday comes, I am taking a trip to see you and your family. We are going to hang out and have a ball talking Steelers and stuff. I would like to get a Steelers Addict Reunion going at Heinz Field with Tailgating and hopefully scores some tickets to the game.

Hburg
09-23-2006, 01:21 PM
I'll call the NFL! TG, the CBS out of Philly is 3 in case you find a pair of rabbit ears. Gimme any information and I will sign up a whole bunch of new people to email and call in complainin to the NFL! F*ck Bmore! In the HBG and the Capital Region we only care bout the BlackNGold outta the Steel City!!!!!

BuFu

Prosdo
09-23-2006, 01:36 PM
That sucks! I feel for you guys.

BBG7
09-24-2006, 08:21 AM
well I'm used to not seeing the Steelers at home on TV so I always had to go to a bar, however, this year I got DTV so I don't have to worry about it. That does suck though...what was the NFL thinking???

Captcoolhand
09-24-2006, 09:31 AM
well I'm used to not seeing the Steelers at home on TV so I always had to go to a bar, however, this year I got DTV so I don't have to worry about it. That does suck though...what was the NFL thinking???
1st,:welcome:

Ya, I'm the same way here in Cleveland. Got to go out to watch. But this sucks, usually anytime the Clowns play at 4:00, I get to see the Steelers at one. IMO, I think its because it's a Big Game. (NFL makes money):dunno:

House of Steel
09-24-2006, 09:37 AM
:welcome: BBG7.

It is a beautiful clear blue sky day. I might be able to get the Steelers on with my rabbit ears since it can at sometimes get a signal from 150 miles away. Youngstown WKBN 27 is 55 miles away and they are covering the Steelers, KDKA Pittsburgh I gotten lucky last year three times and was able to pick them up with a slightly weak signal the picture wasn't the greatest, but I could make it out. I am going to try my best today to get the game in. Wish me luck.

Captcoolhand
09-24-2006, 09:46 AM
My wife would never stop bitching if she couldn't watch a game that wasn't clear. Good luck HOS on picking up that station

House of Steel
09-24-2006, 09:47 AM
GET YOURSELF SOME RABBIT EARS, if it works today. I will be the first one to tell everyone in Cleveland, get your damn rabbit ears out. I don't care if it old technology, but damn, sometimes you have to go to the extremes to get your favorite team in.