PDA

View Full Version : Let's not go overboard here

BlitzburghRockCity
12-31-2007, 11:28 AM
Yes they did come out flat today and didn't seem to be in the game until the 4th quarter, but that's how it's always been under Cowher. It's going to take some time for Tomlin to sort out the coaching staff and players and instill his mark on this team. He spent this whole first offseason just evaluating what he had to work with but now he'll be able to take this coming offseason and really begin to mold this team into what he wants them to be. There are high expectations for this team and he knows it. I'll be real interested to see how he makes changes after this season is over.

As far as last nights game is concerned, everybody here knows I hate losing to the ratbirds, regardless of what the records are or what's at stake. One thing is for certain and make no mistake about it, I hardly think Tomlin and his coaches weren't preparing for this game or didn't want to win it. It's up to the players to make the plays on the field so let's not lay all the blame on preparation here. It's not like we don't know the Ratbirds and how they play. It's always a physical battle with them and there are usually no surprises. It's just a matter of who makes less mistakes and who can capitalize on the turnovers. Last night they played for pride just like we did last year against Cincy to knock them out of the playoffs. Pride is a big thing to have on your side and when you combine that with all our injuries it was just a bad game and one that I was thoroughly dissapointed after having watched it.

This team still has that Cowher mentality of not being ready week in and week out to play regardless of the circumstances. That has to change but it won't happen overnight. Tomlin is on the right track and I have confidence that he will continue to turn this team around but changes will need to be made after this year is over so it should be interesting to see how he handles them. All I'm saying is that while Coaches are responsible for preparing the players, it's up to the guys on the field to make the plays and show up ready to go to work.

Stlrs4Life
12-31-2007, 11:33 AM
I agree, it will be an interesting off season this year. I think we need to reload.

Captcoolhand
12-31-2007, 11:41 AM
Well the best thing I seen last night was Tomlin finally taking to the field and raising hell. :yellowthumb: Good to see that there's another side to this guy than just standing on the sidelines.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-31-2007, 11:45 AM
Yeah that was good to see Capt. I noticed a few times he was cursing up a storm and just livid at the calls on the field. He's not void of emotion he just controls more than most. His mentality of quiet confidence and intense focus is what his teams in the past are all about; that's what we need to get again on defense. It can't come soon enough for me...

Captcoolhand
12-31-2007, 11:58 AM
Yeah that was good to see Capt. I noticed a few times he was cursing up a storm and just livid at the calls on the field. He's not void of emotion he just controls more than most. His mentality of quiet confidence and intense focus is what his teams in the past are all about; that's what we need to get again on defense. It can't come soon enough for me...Like next season.......
Like a rookie, Tomlins the same way. He sits back his first season learns the system, checks everthing out and comes back next year with a little bit bigger set of kahunna's. :yellowthumb:

TampaSteelGirl
12-31-2007, 12:04 PM
I agree with everything you're saying here TG! It is up to the players to enforce plays given to them. Our coaches can only call the plays but our boys need to follow thru and they aren't. I'm very confident in Tomlin, I think he's exactly what Pittsburgh has been needing but he can't do it over night. It's a team effort and they aren't playing up to their expectations and ours as well.
If we don't continue thru the playoffs I believe this team will turn it around and have a great season in 2008. We have all the talent and are very blessed to have it, we just need them to gain more experience. I'm confident this team will win another SB in the next few years and I can't wait to be there to see it! I'm hoping in the next 2 years when the SB is in Tampa! I think either in 2009 or 2010!
:gs::towelwave::gs::towelwave::gs::towelwave:

BlackGold4vr
12-31-2007, 12:46 PM
This is essentially the same 8-8 team that Bill Cowher had 2 years ago. Even in 2005 when we won our 5th Lombardi the team was already on the decline and Cowher knew it. Remember we were the 6th seed and barely made the playoffs. This current group of players was playing it's best football 4 to 5 years ago but didn't have a quarterback to finish off the deal back then. Coach Tomlin has not had enough time to put his signature on this team yet. We cannot compete with the Patriots, but then it seems that nobody else can either. All that you can ask of a team is that they compete and make the playoffs, everything that happens after that is gravy. Where does Mike stand with the other rookie coaches in the league? I still believe that he was a good hire and will go on to bring a lot of great years of Steeler football to Steeler Nation. Remember that another position of almost equal importance to the head coach is the General Manager or Director of Football Operations...Kevin Colbert. Quality talent assessment and evaluation is at the heart of any successful NFL team. If these guys Tomlin/Colbert and the rest of the Steeler scouting staff can continue to find those tough blue collar players that have been the identity of this team from its inception then there is no reason not to be very optimistic about our teams future. One of the things that I do love about the NFL is that the smaller market teams can and do compete at the same level as the larger market teams. We won the AFC North and some congratulations are in order for that accomplishment! There are 3 other teams that would have loved to keep us from achieving that. Keeping in mind that at the end of every NFL season that there are 31 disappointed teams and only 1 that is content, I am still grateful to be a proud member of Steeler Nation! Win or lose I will go down cheering for my beloved black and gold.

:towelwave::towelwave::towelwave::towelwave:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-31-2007, 01:40 PM
Outstanding post :iagree:

This forum lives, eats, and breathes Steeler football and regardless of the record we will always go down waving our terrible towels!

Most of us figured this team would get around 10 or 11 wins this year and we accomplished that goal. Albeit I wish it was in better circumstances heading into the playoffs but we are in the tourney and that's something that most teams didn't get to do this year. The future is bright but it will take some work and change to get there.

TampaSteelGirl
12-31-2007, 02:33 PM
Very nice! :tt02:

MDSteel15
12-31-2007, 03:56 PM
:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

BlitzburghNation
12-31-2007, 04:36 PM
This saying is true for all steeler fans,,,,,,

STEELER BORN,STEELER BRED,WHEN WE DIE, WE'LL BE STEELER DEAD

:towelwave: :gs: :towelwave: :gs :towelwave:

Ambridge
12-31-2007, 11:03 PM
Yes they did come out flat today and didn't seem to be in the game until the 4th quarter, but that's how it's always been under Cowher.

I have to disagree with you there.
For the most part and the vast majority of Bill Cowher's tenure he had his teams ready to play.

Whenever his teams laid an Egg and that's including AFCC games they ended up blowing it with either stupid turnovers/INT's, poor special teams play and/or costly penalties.....not by simply getting "OUT-PHYSICALED".

Even under Chuck Noll can I remember a Steelers team getting slapped around on a consistant basis and looking like the kid who just had his milk money taken from him by the school bully.

I really fear what Steelers Football may be turning into under Tomlin.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-01-2008, 02:16 AM
Cowher's teams would always play physical I'll give you that,or atleast most of the time, but it just seemed that when we had to play teams that we should beat on paper that many times we came out flat just like we did on Sunday. It just seems to be the MO with this team. We get up for the tough games but the easy games it almost seemed we expected to show up and just win and many times against teams like Cleveland, Balt. or other lesser teams on our schedule we would just not be ourselves and to me it seems like we just carried that over to this year.

I think I'll reserve judgment on the future for right now but I certainly agree that we got beat at our own game. There should have been no surprises with the Ratbirds yet we still decided to let them beat us up all night long and that's not Steeler football any way that you look at it.

catlabman
01-01-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm still hopeful, even after the last 8-9 games. I keep remembering 2yrs. ago when no one thought they would make it to the SB. They did and they won. There's no doubt in my mind that we can beat the Jags in the first round and if we watch the tapes, I think we could take the Pats and the Colts. It's just up to the players and who wants it more.

DBR96A
01-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Cowher's teams would always play physical I'll give you that,or atleast most of the time, but it just seemed that when we had to play teams that we should beat on paper that many times we came out flat just like we did on Sunday. It just seems to be the MO with this team. We get up for the tough games but the easy games it almost seemed we expected to show up and just win and many times against teams like Cleveland, Balt. or other lesser teams on our schedule we would just not be ourselves and to me it seems like we just carried that over to this year.

I think I'll reserve judgment on the future for right now but I certainly agree that we got beat at our own game. There should have been no surprises with the Ratbirds yet we still decided to let them beat us up all night long and that's not Steeler football any way that you look at it.

Didn't we get beat at our own game a few times during Cowher's last season with us, even when Roethlisberger was playing better?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2008, 06:55 PM
There were many times under BC that we lost the turnover battle and consequently lost the game, most of the playoff games to be exact. The problems with Cowher's teams sometimes was the same as it is now, we try to turn it on in the 2nd half and come back and we couldnt because we didn't have the horses on offense. Now we do so can come back better but it still doesn't negate the fact that we start out slow all too often and then it's too late. :2cents:

manofsteel
01-02-2008, 07:30 PM
was a good season but not over yet. i dont care who the coach or qb. if we dont fix the o line and give bruce arians a talkin to were screwed